PDA

View Full Version : Websters Defense - Fewell definately the problem

Blueshine
09-17-2012, 09:55 AM
Even with Elis interceptions there was a lot of bad defense out there. This team has a lot of belief and talent. That will go far but we can not do it without defense.

GameTime
09-17-2012, 09:59 AM
Webster is off his game for some reason.....dont really know whats happening with him. He is not the only issue of course....

Moke
09-17-2012, 10:00 AM
Yep, the defense has looked atrocious. Coe gets beat a lot, and Webster hasn't looked his true self.

ryan12
09-17-2012, 10:01 AM
Webster is off his game for some reason.....dont really know whats happening with him. He is not the only issue of course....

he looks like a slow rookie... he is getting burnt almost every play. coe looked better then him yesterday. besides the pts we gave up off eli's picks i thought our d was pretty good

TheAnalyst
09-17-2012, 10:13 AM
I bet CWeb is hurt and knows he can't come out of the game. He looks hurt.

GMan-67
09-17-2012, 10:19 AM
Fewell cant go out and cover guys or rush the passer himself ... the players have to cover and rush better ... Webster, Osi and Tuck need to get closer to midseason form in a hurry

and the unproven guys need to step up ... Coe, Tryon ... Prince has to get healthy, Austin has to finally contribute

Blueshine
09-17-2012, 10:22 AM
I love the comment that inevitably comes that the coach cant go out and play. Like I dont know that. Point is if they guys in back cant cover and the guys in front cant get pressure we need to change how we are doing things if we can.

GMan-67
09-17-2012, 10:28 AM
I love the comment that inevitably comes that the coach cant go out and play. Like I dont know that. Point is if they guys in back cant cover and the guys in front cant get pressure we need to change how we are doing things if we can.

so you blitz and single cover or you rush 4 ... either way players have to get it done ... blaming Fewell is nuts he just coached a Super Bowl winning D ... he clearly knows what he is doing, now the players have to do their jobs

Buddy333
09-17-2012, 10:28 AM
I don't think he defense was that bad. I mean 21 points came off of TO's. I do think they need to never leave Coe or Tryon alone again. Those where the two plays I was most disappointed in. Don't leave your 5th and 6th CB's out there alone especially not on their #1 WR.

VBGiantsFan
09-17-2012, 10:50 AM
I don't think he defense was that bad. I mean 21 points came off of TO's. I do think they need to never leave Coe or Tryon alone again. Those where the two plays I was most disappointed in. Don't leave your 5th and 6th CB's out there alone especially not on their #1 WR.

Funny thing is, Coe and Tryon actually had good coverage on both those plays. Jackson just out positioned Coe and Tryon had the ball bounce off of him helmet. He was in the WR body between his hands on that play. Just a bad bounce.

Bigbluefan77
09-17-2012, 10:51 AM
anyone see how hosley played this game?
I thought i saw him once or twice but I remember how he played

bigblue58
09-17-2012, 10:53 AM
Even with Elis interceptions there was a lot of bad defense out there. This team has a lot of belief and talent. That will go far but we can not do it without defense.

The D backs are playing soft as though they're assuming that the Pass Rush is going to get to the QB on every play!
At least thats how it seems to me anyway.
Something has to change because the number of points our O gets on the board should be resulting in these games being laughable blowouts......... yet we're routinely only winning by a single TD or less because the D can't hold a lead of ANY size.
Even less acceptable when you consider that the D front started the season intact and healthy for the first time in how many years.

JesseJames
09-17-2012, 10:57 AM
I love the comment that inevitably comes that the coach cant go out and play. Like I dont know that. Point is if they guys in back cant cover and the guys in front cant get pressure we need to change how we are doing things if we can. you answered your own question, if there is very little pass rush no DBs can cover NFL receivers for very long and they will get open

gumby74
09-17-2012, 11:07 AM
so you blitz and single cover or you rush 4 ... either way players have to get it done ... blaming Fewell is nuts he just coached a Super Bowl winning D ... he clearly knows what he is doing, now the players have to do their jobs

Just because we won the SB doesn't mean they're actually doing the job well. Short of a handful of games, our defense was NOT good last year. More and more, it seems like the last 5/6 games was a fluke. Yeah we won the SB, but our defense certainly wasn't doing us any favors. Can you imagine if Spags had the players he has now?

GMan-67
09-17-2012, 11:19 AM
Just because we won the SB doesn't mean they're actually doing the job well. Short of a handful of games, our defense was NOT good last year. More and more, it seems like the last 5/6 games was a fluke. Yeah we won the SB, but our defense certainly wasn't doing us any favors. Can you imagine if Spags had the players he has now?

Spags D is getting gashed in NO and the Rams without Spags played very well vs. the Lions on the road and the already inducted into the hall of fame ... RGIII this week

i think Strahan, Osi, Tuck, Webster, etc. made Spags more than the other way around ... not saying he isnt good, but again HELLO it's the players that play

for us ... .where's Osi?, where's Tuck?, where's Webster? ... no coordinator in this league can have 3 of their stars in early preseason form instead of regular season form and win period

the good news is that these guys will regain their form, but blaming Fewell at this point is nutso, IMO

i love that when the O sets records KG gets no credit, when the D struggles it's all on Fewell .... by my math coaches are about 15% of the puzzle and players 85%

BeatYale
09-17-2012, 11:40 AM
We have the best pass rush in the league supposedly. With that said, why can't we keep 2 safeties back the majority of the time instead of leaving inexperienced CB's in one on one coverage? The 49ers do it all game long.

Having good pass rushers is suppose to be a luxury for the defense because theoretically we should be able to generate pressure with our front 4 while keeping the back 7 in coverage keeping the play in front of them.

Blueshine
09-17-2012, 11:41 AM
I am always on Killdrive cause his play calling drives me nuts most times. They opened it up in the second half a lot like they did in the playoffs. With some running game, and I dont care where it comes from but we dont need rb heroes who might fumble, just a break between plays for Eli to connect with Bennett, Nicks, Cruz, Barden, Hixon, and any others. That is what we do and why we won the Super Bowl. Bennett needs a **** load of hands practice and work with receivers coaches.

All that said, if we dont figure out a way to line up on D consistently we dont win consistently. You shouldnt need 511 yards and teams that do need that output like Green Bay and New Orleans while they have won have found it hard to sustain it. And I dont buy 21 points coming off of turnovers. Clearly 1 did but I think the other 2 were scores on our defense.

TheAnalyst
09-17-2012, 11:42 AM
Something has to change because the number of points our O gets on the board should be resulting in these games being laughable blowouts..........

And they would be, if we werent turning it over on offense. Eli's 3 INTs lead to 21 points for the Bucs. If we stop the turnovers, we win big. Also , we need to capitalize on the defenses turnovers. The offense cant punch it into the end zone off the TOs anymore. Remember Boley last week? And FG in this game on the goalline.

TroyArcher
09-17-2012, 11:47 AM
Play bump and run so they don't get a first down. OK if they beat you long. WTH!!!

TheAnalyst
09-17-2012, 11:49 AM
Tryon didnt get beat for the TD. Watch it again. He was there in perfect defense. The problem was his helmet saved the ball from hitting the ground and popped the ball up for Williams to score. Very unlucky IMO.

TrueBlue@NYC
09-17-2012, 12:30 PM
Tryon didnt get beat for the TD. Watch it again. He was there in perfect defense. The problem was his helmet saved the ball from hitting the ground and popped the ball up for Williams to score. Very unlucky IMO.

In was in great position to make a play on the ball and didn't, that's how things like the ball bouncing off his helmet occur. If he'd had made a play on the ball that TD doesn't happen.

GameTime
09-17-2012, 12:32 PM
Play bump and run so they don't get a first down. OK if they beat you long. WTH!!!
yeah....look at the play again...The ball bouces off Tyron's face mask back into the WRs hands. He was in good postion for the play...

YATittle1962
09-17-2012, 12:41 PM
on that TD ....for once...Tryon was actually in good position and the ball went right through Williams hands until it bounced back into his hands off Tryons helmet

G.I. Ants
09-17-2012, 12:45 PM
Tryon played well, I think he and Coe have to work on playing the ball better. It is a great sign to see theses guys improving in their play.

GMan-67
09-17-2012, 12:45 PM
is it possible that Coe and Tryon and Talib arent that good and Ronde is old? ... bad day for CBs across the board ... but they all got out-talented not out-coached

you cant be in better position than having the ball hit your helmet ... but if you are not talented, then you only have a chance to distract the WR instead of a great CB that can actually make a play on the ball and maybe even pick it

gumby74
09-17-2012, 12:54 PM
Spags D is getting gashed in NO and the Rams without Spags played very well vs. the Lions on the road and the already inducted into the hall of fame ... RGIII this week

i think Strahan, Osi, Tuck, Webster, etc. made Spags more than the other way around ... not saying he isnt good, but again HELLO it's the players that play

for us ... .where's Osi?, where's Tuck?, where's Webster? ... no coordinator in this league can have 3 of their stars in early preseason form instead of regular season form and win period

the good news is that these guys will regain their form, but blaming Fewell at this point is nutso, IMO

i love that when the O sets records KG gets no credit, when the D struggles it's all on Fewell .... by my math coaches are about 15% of the puzzle and players 85%

There's a point imo where it goes beyond the players executing. Can you honestly say that a team that consists of Philips, Rolle, Osi, Tuck, JPP, Joseph, Boley, Webster have any excuse to be as bad as we have been? The talent and the productivity are there. It's up to the coaches to harness and use that. I'd venture to say that a small portion of coaching is X's and O's. The majority imo is putting your defense in the best position to succeed. This mean real time adjustments and adaping to the situation. By saying it's up to the players 85% of the time is pretty much saying anyone with enough knowledge of X's and O's can succeed just by theorizing - basically following a template.

Last year, a good point was brought up in that it took a while for the younger players to gel, learn the system, and gain some epxerience - which is why we got so much better at the end. The fact that we lacked depth (Bruce Johnson, Tryon, Coe) also was brought up. All fair points. Well, now we have them all back now and we're still terrible.

gumby74
09-17-2012, 12:55 PM
We have the best pass rush in the league supposedly. With that said, why can't we keep 2 safeties back the majority of the time instead of leaving inexperienced CB's in one on one coverage? The 49ers do it all game long.

Having good pass rushers is suppose to be a luxury for the defense because theoretically we should be able to generate pressure with our front 4 while keeping the back 7 in coverage keeping the play in front of them.

I think it's safe to say at this point our front 4 is vastly overrated.

GameTime
09-17-2012, 12:58 PM
I think it's safe to say at this point our front 4 is vastly overrated.
they arent over rated they are just not playing up to par for the last two games. You cant be "overated" without having great games first of all.
I agree they are playing flat. But look at the whole team. Other than the late 3rd and 4th quarter the offense sucked too.

TrueBlue@NYC
09-17-2012, 01:00 PM

On the Tryon TD we was singled up on Mike Williams, probably b/c they were giving Webster help on jackson.

On the late deep pas that got brought back, Tryon had help over the top, but simply misplayed it. He should have been trailing, but got caught inside.

BlueBlooded1979
09-17-2012, 01:03 PM
The play works when the safeties stay over the top which KP and Rolle seem to struggle with.

gumby74
09-17-2012, 01:05 PM
they arent over rated they are just not playing up to par for the last two games. You cant be "overated" without having great games first of all.
I agree they are playing flat. But look at the whole team. Other than the late 3rd and 4th quarter the offense sucked too.

Ever since we won the SB, the media have been saying how great our front 4 was. And we still hear it. And from the Giants MB, you'd think we are as good as advertised. We aren't.

GMan-67
09-17-2012, 01:11 PM
There's a point imo where it goes beyond the players executing. Can you honestly say that a team that consists of Philips, Rolle, Osi, Tuck, JPP, Joseph, Boley, Webster have any excuse to be as bad as we have been? The talent and the productivity are there. It's up to the coaches to harness and use that. I'd venture to say that a small portion of coaching is X's and O's. The majority imo is putting your defense in the best position to succeed. This mean real time adjustments and adaping to the situation. By saying it's up to the players 85% of the time is pretty much saying anyone with enough knowledge of X's and O's can succeed just by theorizing - basically following a template.

Last year, a good point was brought up in that it took a while for the younger players to gel, learn the system, and gain some epxerience - which is why we got so much better at the end. The fact that we lacked depth (Bruce Johnson, Tryon, Coe) also was brought up. All fair points. Well, now we have them all back now and we're still terrible.

well 1st 15% in a league where games are decided by one score is nothing to sneeze at and we are seeing the Saints struggle without their coach, but if you are Perry Fewell and all of a sudden your front 4 cant generate pressure? ... is that Perry? ... Osi and Tuck are clearly not at the level they were late last season (they are about in Week 2 preseason form) .... either is Webster, so then you blitz cause you cant get pressure, but instead of Thomas or Prince on the outside you now have basically special teamers in Coe and Tryon and they are right there in position (as coached), but they are simply out-talented ... they have little chance in a jump ball situation ... just like Talib had little chance vs. Nicks

im sorry, but talent wins in this league ... maybe in HS or even College a savvy coach can have success on occasion with lesser talent, but i will take talent over coaches any day of the week

if coaches made that much of a difference .... Jerry Jones would offer $1B salary to whoever is the best coach in the NFL, but instead the coaches make far less than the star players

my feeling is that Thursday is going be rough, we will need to pull one out again, but im sure Tuck, Osi and Webster will be at their best vs. the Eagles ... that's probably the game the vets targetted to be in midseason form

gumby74
09-17-2012, 01:18 PM
well 1st 15% in a league where games are decided by one score is nothing to sneeze at and we are seeing the Saints struggle without their coach, but if you are Perry Fewell and all of a sudden your front 4 cant generate pressure? ... is that Perry? ... Osi and Tuck are clearly not at the level they were late last season (they are about in Week 2 preseason form) .... either is Webster, so then you blitz cause you cant get pressure, but instead of Thomas or Prince on the outside you now have basically special teamers in Coe and Tryon and they are right there in position (as coached), but they are simply out-talented ... they have little chance in a jump ball situation ... just like Talib had little chance vs. Nicks

im sorry, but talent wins in this league ... maybe in HS or even College a savvy coach can have success on occasion with lesser talent, but i will take talent over coaches any day of the week

if coaches made that much of a difference .... Jerry Jones would offer $1B salary to whoever is the best coach in the NFL, but instead the coaches make far less than the star players

my feeling is that Thursday is going be rough, we will need to pull one out again, but im sure Tuck, Osi and Webster will be at their best vs. the Eagles ... that's probably the game the vets targetted to be in midseason form

Let's be fair though. How many teams can get pressure with their front 4 alone consistently? Getting that is a luxury. In order to succeed as a d-coordinator, I think it's fair to say you should be able to adapt to a situation without it.

Talent does win in this league, which is why when we're so bad with Tuck, JPP, Osi, Rolle, KP, Joseph, Webster, Boley, etc on the team, something isn't right.

Ah, but the good coaches ARE sought after.

Thursday scares me. How our corners are going to stay with Maclin and Jackson are beyond me.

luni
09-17-2012, 01:45 PM
Quotes from nj.com/giants article.

"I like to do what's working for us," Webster said. "If it was up to me, I would always line up and try to test out the receivers, battle them, putting hands on them. But that’s not my call. So we kind of just go in the scheme of things and try to put it together as we’re being taught and how the game is being called."

Webster said he did not speak with defensive coordinator Perry Fewell during the game about using more aggressive calls, but said Fewell made that shift later in the game.
"I think he was cognizant of it; he saw what was going on," Webster said. "I think he saw the receivers. No receiver wants to be touched off the line of scrimmage. Anybody can be a great receiver if you let them run free off the line of scrimmage, so I just think we saw that going on, and we just kept putting the pressure on."

Sounds like they are not allowed to press the receiver like they use to and use to be a strength to a cb but it must be the sytem that fewell put them in that is causing them to torch the dbs.

Kruunch
09-17-2012, 01:47 PM
Pressure opposing players when on defense ... who knew?!

drewz
09-17-2012, 01:56 PM
Yeah, that's why I always laugh when people like bag on the secondary. No pressing the receivers, no safety help.. gee, why the hell do you think the secondary gets torched a lot? Fewell expects the Dline to make all the plays, but if the dline isn't getting any pressure, any competent QB can pick our secondary apart.

bklyn1028
09-17-2012, 01:58 PM
Did Webster really use the word, "cognizant"?

ELIte4MVP
09-17-2012, 02:02 PM
i saw another thread on here where webster was saying he didnt want to put his hands on receivers aggressively and get used to the replacement refs not calling it, just to have to stop being that aggressive when the old refs come back. i dont know if that is what he was saying here or not

tonyt830
09-17-2012, 02:02 PM
Since teams have figured out you can neutralize our pass rush with quick passes, it only makes sense for our corners to jam opposing receivers at the LOS. I mean if you get a decent jam on the WRs, that disrupts the timing of those quick passes. Fewell is a d-coordinator and should realize this. Or maybe he is just trying to protect our back end?

Hopefully some adjustments are made. A good coordinator will do that. Its kind of like a game of chess out there.

ryan12
09-17-2012, 02:04 PM
whatever webster is it fewell that is running and playing coverage like a fat lineman?

TheAnalyst
09-17-2012, 02:34 PM
This is why last year everyone started getting worried about another Tim Lewis type defense, read and react. We need to press and use pressure to win. He was using that method more in the last 6 games of last season, probably because we got healthier though with Osi and Tuck coming back.

TheAnalyst
09-17-2012, 02:34 PM
We do not have zone type CBs though.

Roswell777
09-17-2012, 02:59 PM
Did Webster really use the word, "cognizant"?

Great stuff.

Anyhow,I have a question for you guys and apologize in advance if this was on another thread but, was there a play in the game on like a 3rd and 11 that Jacquain Williams was lined up like forty yards downfield off the line of scrimmage or am I just losing it?

Drez
09-17-2012, 03:03 PM
Great stuff.

Anyhow,I have a question for you guys and apologize in advance if this was on another thread but, was there a play in the game on like a 3rd and 11 that Jacquain Williams was lined up like forty yards downfield off the line of scrimmage or am I just losing it?
Not too sure, but wouldn't surprise me. There was talk of using him in the hybrid S/LB roll in the preseason.

giant-4-life
09-17-2012, 03:16 PM
Yeah, that's why I always laugh when people like bag on the secondary. No pressing the receivers, no safety help.. gee, why the hell do you think the secondary gets torched a lot? Fewell expects the Dline to make all the plays, but if the dline isn't getting any pressure, any competent QB can pick our secondary apart.

This is because he has seen what the front 4 can do and wants to try and keep up with the recent times.Spags had it right

Roswell777
09-17-2012, 03:16 PM
Not too sure, but wouldn't surprise me. There was talk of using him in the hybrid S/LB roll in the preseason.

It seemed like he was back there in case they punted on third down. Lol

BParcells777
09-17-2012, 03:24 PM
It seems only when big games are on the line does Perry wake up and take the D off auto-pilot

Yesterday he released Blackburn and the results were spectacular........on the Packers it seems Matthews is allowed to Blitz
50% of the time

If Fewell cannot make adjustments we should give him a back office position

GameTime
09-17-2012, 03:27 PM
It seems only when big games are on the line does Perry wake up and take the D off auto-pilot

Yesterday he released Blackburn and the results were spectacular........on the Packers it seems Matthews is allowed to Blitz
50% of the time

If Fewell cannot make adjustments we should give him a back office position
they have a game plan....if there is an issue TC will let him know. Matthews is a 3 /4 D. way diff the Giants....

GMan-67
09-17-2012, 03:28 PM
this sounds like a hey we can now hold the WRs thread b/c of the replacement officials ... which has nothing to do with Fewell ... having said that if Webby feels he can cheat, than cheat away aint nobody stopping you

amazingly the TB CBs cheated all game and yielded a record setting day by 2 WRs ... gotta love the NFL irony

SuperNYGiants
09-17-2012, 03:30 PM
I don't think blitzing on every down is the solution. The players are not playing up to their capability either. Also the 34 point output by Bucs is somewhat misleading due to Eli being a generous guy.

Kruunch
09-17-2012, 03:32 PM
At least we haven't seen the 3-man rushes that we saw last year.

Manstache
09-17-2012, 03:34 PM
i saw another thread on here where webster was saying he didnt want to put his hands on receivers aggressively and get used to the replacement refs not calling it, just to have to stop being that aggressive when the old refs come back. i dont know if that is what he was saying here or not

a man, these signatures that u have. LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! u a silly cat buh. smh....

BParcells777
09-17-2012, 03:35 PM
ITs bad, real bad

The LOS has become a wrestling match..........there's more holding than in a maternity hospital

There is only one way to get pressure........bring a few of the back 7.......Fewell is afraid of the bomb.....its easier to blame the Refs than face the embarrassment of a long TD pass.

BParcells777
09-17-2012, 03:37 PM
I don't think blitzing on every down is the solution. The players are not playing up to their capability either. Also the 34 point output by Bucs is somewhat misleading due to Eli being a generous guy.

Im just saying the DBs are taking a pounding because of the no pressure Dline and I dont blame them........they are being held on every play

BParcells777
09-17-2012, 03:40 PM

I did not say he does not make adjustments........he only does it in big games with the season on the line

PRGiant
09-17-2012, 05:47 PM
The helmet bounce was just crazy, I thought We would loose for sure after that!

Drez
09-17-2012, 06:51 PM
50% of the time

OLBs in 34 defenses primary job is to rush the passer, which is why OLB in a 34 is more comparable to a 43 DE than LB.

Even more than that, a mike in a 43 has COMPLETELY different responsibilities than an OLB in a 34. The positions aren't even remotely the same.

And how was Blackburn "released?" Because he got a sack on a blitz where the OL blew their assignments and didn't even touch him?

appodictic
09-17-2012, 10:30 PM
Ever since we won the SB, the media have been saying how great our front 4 was. And we still hear it. And from the Giants MB, you'd think we are as good as advertised. We aren't. Football is a team sport. Notice that the Patriots have a better offence on paper then last year but just lost ot a sucky team? that must mean brady sucks right. Hes overrated why is he not producing? Why did Eli and Cruz and noicks not throw for 500 yards in game 1? Why cant they do that every game.

More to the point...
Why did the loss of Kenny Phillips doom our entire season? Isn't cc brown almost as good? because even losing one player can have a ripple effect on defense, We lost ross, we dont have canty, Even if coe was starting material he has a hammy. Tyron is 5''9" Vincent Jackson is 6'5"

Marvelousmik
09-17-2012, 10:41 PM

Im sorry but if the front cant get pressure and the back end cant cover, there is nothing you can do. Out of all the topics, i hate threads like these. You state that its the coaches fault but you dont back your argument up with any facts as to why its his fault. You cant just say "guys cant cover and we cant get pressure, its the coaches fault for not being creative.

I have a question for you though. What should PR do differently? If we blitz, like you said the back end cant cover. If we keep guys back in coverage, like you said the front end cant get pressure. What should Perry Fewell do?

GMenOnDeck
09-17-2012, 10:47 PM
Feel like our corners is Locating and Attacking the football when its in the air

ShakeandBake
09-17-2012, 10:55 PM
Our guys are just playing like garbage, but then again the d-line isn't getting pressure. Call it holding, lack of effort or whatever you'd like, but without a pass rush our DBs are going to continue to get burnt. Can't blame PF, he has tried to mix it up, then he gets burned when he blitzes and Tryon gets beat to the outside. We are not built to blitz anyway, we are designed to get pressure with four but unless something changes drastically, it doesn't look like thats going to happen anytime soon.

giantsfan420
09-17-2012, 11:04 PM
Great stuff.

yes. that was what u saw. and they converted bc we got no pressure. that was the strangest d play call i've seen.

BlueSanta
09-18-2012, 12:24 AM
Guys I think you are being a little ridiculous. Keep in mind our defensive stats for that game were actually quite impressive.

We held them to 304 total yards and 14 1st downs.

I do agree that we left our outside guys on an island a bit more than I would like, especially when we are talking about a guy like Tryon. But, overal, we played a very good game. they scored 34 points and 24 of those were off turnovers.

Captain Chaos
09-18-2012, 05:18 AM
I think they didn't get enough work together during the preseason and we are seeing evidence of this during the early part of the season. They were better than they were in the first week and we'll see what they do on Thursday. As long as they keep making steady progress they will get back to where they were last year.