PDA

View Full Version : Giants actually fielded what seemed to be a competent OL

slipknottin
09-17-2012, 05:45 PM
With Beatty at LT and Locklear at RT, the pass protection issues seemed greatly reduced.

I think with the run blocking that Brown made more of a difference there. Bradshaw does not press the hole or run where the play is designed to go. Brown did both.

Cloud57
09-17-2012, 05:47 PM
Brown looked a lot more explosive in that game than Bradshaw

DVision
09-17-2012, 05:48 PM
I agree! Brown identified the whole and then hit it without hesitation! Even catching out the backfield he knew where the chains were and got north and south immediately. As far as the line goes, I believe it's success is predicated on whether or not Beatty can stay on the field!

slipknottin
09-17-2012, 05:50 PM
Brown looked a lot more explosive in that game than Bradshaw

I dont think explosion is the issue. Bradshaw just tries to bounce around behind the line trying to find an opening. But he ends up spending a lot of his time going laterally instead of vertically.

Brown was far more patient back there, waited for a hole, then accelerated through it.

DownWitJPP
09-17-2012, 06:03 PM
looked a lot more consistent when Diehl went out of the lineup. They were pretty good at pass blocking but I want to see them put some people on their @$% when run blocking, Tough Hard Giants smash mouth football that we haven't seen in a while. I thought Petrus and Mosley would help in this area but hes been awful this year.

BlueSanta
09-17-2012, 06:05 PM
I hate to bash a guy who did help us win 2 Superbowls(2007 moreso) but I think we all know why the line looked better yesterday. It is no secret that Diehl has not been playing well for over a year now.

I do think the Giants recognized this tho and that is why they brought in Locklear to begin with. There were some people guessing it was to push Beatty, I never agreed with that. I think Locklear was clearly brought in to push the RT position. He was just pushed into service at LT when Beatty was hurt for the 1st game.

I actually think the line right now is the way it was intended to be at some point in the season.

pino
09-17-2012, 06:07 PM
I dont think explosion is the issue. Bradshaw just tries to bounce around behind the line trying to find an opening. But he ends up spending a lot of his time going laterally instead of vertically.

Brown was far more patient back there, waited for a hole, then accelerated through it.

^

DownWitJPP
09-17-2012, 06:14 PM
I hate to bash a guy who did help us win 2 Superbowls(2007 moreso) but I think we all know why the line looked better yesterday. It is no secret that Diehl has not been playing well for over a year now.

I do think the Giants recognized this tho and that is why they brought in Locklear to begin with. There were some people guessing it was to push Beatty, I never agreed with that. I think Locklear was clearly brought in to push the RT position. He was just pushed into service at LT when Beatty was hurt for the 1st game.

I actually think the line right now is the way it was intended to be at some point in the season.

He's an ok pass blocker but I'm still not sold on Beatty...He is always hurt and is too "finesse" for my liking. I want a big mauling LT that puts DE's on their backs not someone who enjoys fine wine and likes to sew & crochet

slipknottin
09-17-2012, 06:22 PM
He's an ok pass blocker but I'm still not sold on Beatty...He is always hurt and is too "finesse" for my liking. I want a big mauling LT that puts DE's on their backs not someone who enjoys fine wine and likes to sew & crochet

I could careless how finesse he is as long as he blocks guys out on runs and doesnt let guys hit eli on passes. And he does both of that. Putting guys on their behinds doesnt really make the run or pass game any better

hungrrrry
09-17-2012, 07:43 PM
With Beatty at LT and Locklear at RT, the pass protection issues seemed greatly reduced.

I think with the run blocking that Brown made more of a difference there. Bradshaw does not press the hole or run where the play is designed to go. Brown did both.I agree...Diehl going down opened up great potential and Beatty actually looked good, alert, healthy and fired up! Locklear did very well at RT and I was very happy to see the change even though I like Diehl a lot, but I think his time is up and will be remanded to spot duty as a back-up.
Browns ability to find the hole fast helped the OL and Eli and the passing game...so we have a threat on that fron....now we need to find a threat, besides JPP, on the defense

Eli TO Shockey
09-17-2012, 07:53 PM
The Oline play was excellent after Deihl got injured. Eli was sacked a total of 0 times and we actually ran the ball effectively.

I cant remember the last time our Oline played so well to be honest.

We love ya Diehl, but i'm afraid your time in our starting lineup is done. Although he will make for a great backup.

jomo
09-17-2012, 07:53 PM
51 passes and no sacks. Running game looked pretty decent against what was supposed to be the '85 Bears. I have no gripes with the OL on their performance Sunday. We need a healthy Diehl to put back the limited depth we have there.

tonyt830
09-17-2012, 07:56 PM
He's an ok pass blocker but I'm still not sold on Beatty...He is always hurt and is too "finesse" for my liking. I want a big mauling LT that puts DE's on their backs not someone who enjoys fine wine and likes to sew & crochetI think in todays NFL the days of the big Mauling Left tackles are gone. I know a lot of teams like to put the better run blocking(usually bigger) tackles on the right side. I know teams like the guys with good footwork and longer arms in their ideal LT.

I wish I still had the link to an article I read. But one of these writers on NFL.com or one of those sites, wrote an article regarding how todays left tackles are not like those of the 90s.

I guess the thinking is that DEs and rush backers have become much more agile and quick, that the big mauler type LTs are not as effective. I remember Jonathan Ogden, 6'8 340 plus lbs. He was a beast in the run game. But he would have fits with guys like Dwight Freeney.

The main thing is Beatty stays healthy, and he continues to improve with technique etc.

chasjay
09-17-2012, 07:56 PM
51 passes and no sacks. Running game looked pretty decent against what was supposed to be the '85 Bears. I have no gripes with the OL on their performance Sunday. We need a healthy Diehl to put back the limited depth we have there.

full agreement

tonyt830
09-17-2012, 07:58 PM

Brown was far more patient back there, waited for a hole, then accelerated through it.dont mean to stray from the topic, but regarding patience and waiting for a hole to open, did you see Frank Gore last night. There was a couple plays where he just followed his FB, waited for a hole, then just exploded for about 9 or 10 yards.

jomo
09-17-2012, 08:00 PM
dont mean to stray from the topic, but regarding patience and waiting for a hole to open, did you see Frank Gore last night. There was a couple plays where he just followed his FB, waited for a hole, then just exploded for about 9 or 10 yards.That guy is really seasoned and good.

Toadofsteel
09-17-2012, 08:34 PM
The Oline play was excellent after Deihl got injured. Eli was sacked a total of 0 times and we actually ran the ball effectively.

I cant remember the last time our Oline played so well to be honest.

We love ya Diehl, but i'm afraid your time in our starting lineup is done. Although he will make for a great backup.

I'm with you 100% on this. Diehl has been a Giant for a real long time and is past his prime... I really like the guy, he's been a great Giant for a long time, but it's time to get younger...

Giantslb66
09-17-2012, 08:40 PM
I'm with you 100% on this. Diehl has been a Giant for a real long time and is past his prime... I really like the guy, he's been a great Giant for a long time, but it's time to get younger... Agreed, however Diehl is 32, Locklear 31. Not really younger........

slipknottin
09-17-2012, 08:41 PM
Agreed, however Diehl is 32, Locklear 31. Not really younger........

Guys break down at different times, honestly, Diehl has been done for like 4 years. He has only stuck around because they keep getting so many injuries.

Toadofsteel
09-17-2012, 08:44 PM
Agreed, however Diehl is 32, Locklear 31. Not really younger........

Locklear has had the benefit of not having to hold off Demarcus Ware twice a year... and to be completely honest he hasn't had to deal with much of anything since he bounced from the seahawks prior to the 49ers becoming relevant. It's not so much age, as much as Diehl has just been banged up. Don't get me wrong, I fully believe Diehl should get a spot in the Ring of Honor for all his contributions over the past decade, but he's just done as a player.

fansince69
09-17-2012, 08:44 PM
Guys break down at different times, honestly, Diehl has been done for like 4 years. He has only stuck around because they keep getting so many injuries.

Good Point...

joemorrisforprez
09-17-2012, 09:57 PM

Agreed.....especially about the sewing thing.