PDA

View Full Version : Eli: Think about this...

elitocruz
09-17-2012, 05:17 PM
Obviously what Eli has done over the first half of his career is special, but consider this: He's also done it with two entirely different sets of WR's and basically 4 different TE's. I know most qb's deal with free agent defections, retirement of players etc. But not many have had this much turnover at those key positions, and never missed a beat, while making most of those new guys better than the previous guys. Maybe I'm over-stating this, but to me that's very impressive.

That is all. Let's go beat Carolina.

repeatchamps
09-17-2012, 05:24 PM
Obviously what Eli has done over the first half of his career is special, but consider this: He's also done it with two entirely different sets of WR's and basically 4 different TE's. I know most qb's deal with free agent defections, retirement of players etc. But not many have had this much turnover at those key positions, and never missed a beat, while making most of those new guys better than the previous guys. Maybe I'm over-stating this, but to me that's very impressive.

Well made point. You see the fruits of keeping a guy like Nicks with Eli since day 1. For years people on this board were clamoring to draft a #1 receiver to develop with Eli. Now you see what happens when you do it.

Off topic but just want to throw a tidbit out there. The Giants are the only team in NFL history to have two QB's make the list of top 10 NFL QB's for most yards thrown in a game. Simms had 513 and Manning after yesterday had 510.

SweetZombieJesus
09-17-2012, 05:29 PM
Yup, we said it in the SB run last year. Plax, Amani, Steve Smith, Kevin Boss in '07 -> Nicks, Cruz, Manningham, and Ballard in '11. Eli made them all look good.

GameTime
09-17-2012, 05:32 PM

bet most long tenured successful QBs have very similar scenarios.....
While it is impressive it is certainly not unusual.

Laurah1275
09-17-2012, 05:38 PM
While it is impressive it is certainly not unusual.Eli is excellence on two legs...sigh...when everyone keeps this in their head as a given, things will be much simpler. ;)

TheBookOfEli
09-17-2012, 05:39 PM
He's won 2 superbowls with 2 totally different set of receivers. Anyone who keeps thinking Eli is not elite,are just being plain ignorant.

GameTime
09-17-2012, 05:42 PM
Eli is excellence on two legs...sigh...when everyone keeps this in their head as a given, things will be much simpler. ;)
Taking not one thing away from Eli. But most QBs who have been in the league for 8 or more years will go through WRs, TEs, RBs, Olinmen, etc. Eli has and has done great. Eli is very lucky he has been in the same offensive system with the same OC and HC since day one. I mean lucky in a way that having the same coaches IS unusual for that long.....

yoeddy
09-17-2012, 05:44 PM
Taking not one thing away from Eli. But most QBs who have been in the league for 8 or more years will go through WRs, TEs, RBs, Olinmen, etc. Eli has and has done great. Eli is very lucky he has been in the same offensive system with the same OC and HC since day one. I mean lucky in a way that having the same coaches IS unusual for that long.....

I agree with the point, but note that he has had 2 different OC's and I think 3 different QB coaches...

elitocruz
09-17-2012, 05:50 PM

his brother never had that much turnover in his prime. Wayne, Harrison, Clark. for as long as we can remember. then as Marvin got older, they made some changes.

GameTime
09-17-2012, 05:52 PM
his brother never had that much turnover in his prime. Wayne, Harrison, Clark. for as long as we can remember. then as Marvin got older, they made some changes.
I hear you and I didnt mean to say condtradictory towards your post. Wasnt my intent.....

slipknottin
09-17-2012, 05:54 PM
Peyton is the only one I can think of that had the same players.

Look at Brady's changes, went from an offense with Troy Brown and a running game, to Randy Moss and Welker and a ridiculous pass game, to now with a two TE offense with really no outside receivers.

speedman
09-17-2012, 05:55 PM
Give some examples.

GameTime
09-17-2012, 05:56 PM
I agree with the point, but note that he has had 2 different OC's and I think 3 different QB coaches...
thank you....I forgot KG was QBs coach first and not OC till 07 or 06....

GameTime
09-17-2012, 05:58 PM
Give some examples.
why....??
I am not dogging Eli or this thread one bit. I am just stating that QBs who are with one team for a long time most likely go through very similar circumstances.
OK...Brady....many dif WR, TE, RBs, OC. One head coach......thats one example if you really need one.

yoeddy
09-17-2012, 06:03 PM
To me, the interesting thing here is that for a long time, nobody gave Eli any credit for success...they all said "Eli is nothing without Plaxico", "Toomer is Eli's security blanket and makes him better", "Steve Smith makes Eli better", etc etc. Finally, after this long long list of players who have gone through the lineup, finally Eli gets some recognition for being the one who actually made those guys better instead of the other way around...

Laurah1275
09-17-2012, 06:11 PM
To me, the interesting thing here is that for a long time, nobody gave Eli any credit for success...they all said "Eli is nothing without Plaxico", "Toomer is Eli's security blanket and makes him better", "Steve Smith makes Eli better", etc etc. Finally, after this long long list of players who have gone through the lineup, finally Eli gets some recognition for being the one who actually made those guys better instead of the other way around...Super Duper +++++++1

Marvelousmik
09-17-2012, 06:15 PM

he had his ups and downs.