PDA

View Full Version : Phillips big hit.

3504spd
09-18-2012, 08:14 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it was KP who laid the wood on that bucs wr over the middle. And I remember Buck & Aikman saying it should have been a penalty for a hit on a defenseless reciever. And for leading with the helmet. My problem with that is 1, how can you not lead with your head? It's the highest point on your body. Maybe he should have drop-kicked him ala the Waterboy???? 2, where has that been for the last few years??? Seems like our guys never make those rib crunching hits like you see on NFL Gameday highlights. And to me it was his shoulder that made first contact....not his helmet. Sorry if this has been posted already, I looked for it but found no topic.

GMan-67
09-18-2012, 09:49 AM
i thought he led with his shoulder and how can he know the WR wont catch it or the QB wont make an accurate pass ... we'll see if any fines come down ... i think the Tampa player that did the helmet to helmet on Hixon will surely be fined

GameTime
09-18-2012, 09:51 AM
how can you NOT lead with your head??....Simple you dont. You cant use your head as the focal point of impact.
Phillips hit shoulder first. Clean hit. The defenseless reciever thing is a subjective call although it does have parameters.
Great hit.....

nhpgiantsfan
09-18-2012, 10:24 AM
Yeah, he might get fined, but it will probably be for defenseless receiver, not leading with the helmet.

GameTime
09-18-2012, 10:26 AM
Yeah, he might get fined, but it will probably be for defenseless receiver, not leading with the helmet.
whats with that rule??....Is a D player supposed to hold back until the reciever catches the ball and makes a "football move"......???
I understand why they have it but its a tough one to police I guess.....

wuzpapn
09-18-2012, 10:27 AM
If he's fined - it was worth it. I'm sure he feels the same way. That hit changed the whole momentum of the game around for us.

Drez
09-18-2012, 10:30 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it was KP who laid the wood on that bucs wr over the middle. And I remember Buck & Aikman saying it should have been a penalty for a hit on a defenseless reciever. And for leading with the helmet. My problem with that is 1, how can you not lead with your head? It's the highest point on your body. Maybe he should have drop-kicked him ala the Waterboy???? 2, where has that been for the last few years??? Seems like our guys never make those rib crunching hits like you see on NFL Gameday highlights. And to me it was his shoulder that made first contact....not his helmet. Sorry if this has been posted already, I looked for it but found no topic.
You still can't shoulder someone in the head. Nor can you launch yourself. Both of which it appeared KP did.

TheAnalyst
09-18-2012, 10:32 AM
Yuck and Bakeman are obvious Giants haters. They are Cowboy fans. So glad I was at a bar that didn't have the sound on for the game. I can't stand those ******s. Along with Collinsworthless.

nhpgiantsfan
09-18-2012, 10:45 AM
Yuck and Bakeman are obvious Giants haters. They are Cowboy fans. So glad I was at a bar that didn't have the sound on for the game. I can't stand those ******s. Along with Collinsworthless.

Normally, I would agree with you. But this week it didnt seem so bad. Especially Troy, they knocked them in the first half when they deserved it, but then really praised them in the second half. It seemed like Joe Buck got more excited each time Nicks caught the ball.

Dwinsballgames
09-18-2012, 10:47 AM
I've always found Aikman to be pretty impartial, actually. Buck on the other hand...

BurnerNYG
09-18-2012, 10:49 AM
I thought that was a good hit and a good non call. I kind of like the new refs, they let the guys play. I just don't like all the holding going on with the db's... a lot of mugging going on out there.

I was watching the 9ers play on Sunday though and the refs threw a flag on what I thought was a damn good defensive play. I was saying to myself on that particular play that the db's oughta just move out the way and let the receiver catch the ball.

shotcalla39
09-18-2012, 11:02 AM
The hit by Phillips on Vincent Jackson was what turned the game in our favor ... From that point on gmen dominated

jonnyhaze
09-18-2012, 02:15 PM
Even if there was a flag. It would've been well worth it for the spark it gave the team. I hope they don't tell him to tone it down. Keep playing exactly like that.

JimC
09-18-2012, 02:19 PM
You still can't shoulder someone in the head. Nor can you launch yourself. Both of which it appeared KP did.

What!!!! Can you explain?

giantsfan420
09-18-2012, 02:20 PM
well the only thing, KP did leave his feet and lunged up, that is a penalty. glad it wasnt called bc imo it was a clean football hit, but the way the nfl is now, it prob gets flagged 9/10x. the next play was an int so that play was huge

giantsforce
09-18-2012, 02:21 PM
I thought that was a good hit and a good non call. I kind of like the new refs, they let the guys play. I just don't like all the holding going on with the db's... a lot of mugging going on out there.

I was watching the 9ers play on Sunday though and the refs threw a flag on what I thought was a damn good defensive play. I was saying to myself on that particular play that the db's oughta just move out the way and let the receiver catch the ball.These refs do not know what they are calling. It is really disappointing that we do not have the regular refs to ***** about. However, it seems the NFL just went and got anyone who said they know how to be a ref. I am really surprised on how much the secondaries are getting away with these guys.

river555
09-18-2012, 02:22 PM
I thought it was totally clean. First, he lead and made the hit with his shoulder. Second, the WR had the ball in his hands. someone correct me if im wrong but i think the defensless recieve rule comes into play when the ball is overthrown and the WR is left standing there defenseless. If the WR makes the catch and has the ball in his hands, isnt the defender supposed to tackle him at that point? so i think troy and buck were wrong.

GameTime
09-18-2012, 02:23 PM

His shoulder hit VJ in the chest/shoulder area. Leagal hard hit....

fansince69
09-18-2012, 02:26 PM
His shoulder hit VJ in the chest/shoulder area. Leagal hard hit....

looked ok to me even in slow motion

dezzzR
09-18-2012, 02:30 PM
http://binaryapi.ap.org/e8089fa34b984f36b24aa0271bee7fa9/512x.jpg looks good to me

GameTime
09-18-2012, 02:39 PM
http://binaryapi.ap.org/e8089fa34b984f36b24aa0271bee7fa9/512x.jpg looks good to me
sweet pic.....nice job....
leagal......

GiantWarfare
09-18-2012, 04:24 PM
#1. Dare I say, Joe Buck was actually tolerable last game. He's improving, dude sounded surprisingly excited for a change in the 4th quarter, especially on Nicks' catches. If only he would've called SB 42 the way he called it this past Sunday.

#2. I for one thought the KP hit was clean and legal, but even if it wasn't I can honestly say I wouldn't care, I would've loved it still. Wish our defense punished receivers and backs more often. When KP laid the wood on VJax I jumped outta my seat...lol. It was good stuff.

Drez
09-18-2012, 04:41 PM
His shoulder hit VJ in the chest/shoulder area. Leagal hard hit....Except he launched himself. The angle I saw on TV wasn't clear on whether he hit Jackson in the shoulder or head, but either way, since he launched himself at a defenseless receiver it should have been a penalty.

moosedrool
09-18-2012, 05:08 PM
Great hit, could have been called either way with his shoulder so close to the helmet. I don't know why more DB's don't hit the stomach area in situations like this with the rules the way they are now. Polamalu did in week one and still "blew up" the receiver.

moose11
09-18-2012, 05:10 PM
Sorry Drez, not to be arguementative, but Jackson is not considered a defenseless receiver as he had the ball in his hands. Defenseless receivers would be on overthrown balls where WR is vulnerable to that kind of hit. That hit is actually what the NFL would rather have than the head hits and knocking the crappola out of a WR when ball is not near him.

Drez
09-18-2012, 05:18 PM
Sorry Drez, not to be arguementative, but Jackson is not considered a defenseless receiver as he had the ball in his hands. Defenseless receivers would be on overthrown balls where WR is vulnerable to that kind of hit. That hit is actually what the NFL would rather have than the head hits and knocking the crappola out of a WR when ball is not near him.
Here is what the NFL considers a defenseless receiver:

It is a foul if a player initiates unnecessary contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture.
(a) Players in a defenseless posture are: [. . .]
(2) A receiver attempting to catch a pass; or who has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a runner. If the receiver/runner is capable of avoiding or warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player;
[. . .]
(b) Prohibited contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture is:
(1) Forcibly hitting the defenseless player’s head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm, or shoulder, regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms to tackle the defenseless player by encircling or grasping him; and
(2) Lowering the head and making forcible contact with the top/crown or forehead/”hairline” parts of the helmet against any part of the defenseless player’s body.”

moosedrool
09-18-2012, 05:23 PM
"who has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a runner. "

I think this was Jackson on the Phillips hit. I hate this rule. How the f*** are you supposed to break up the pass then? I'm all for eliminating the high hits that result in concussions, but this rule as worded takes away a hard hit to the midsection. That's awful.

Drez
09-18-2012, 05:25 PM
Here is what the NFL considers a defenseless receiver:

It is a foul if a player initiates unnecessary contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture.
(a) Players in a defenseless posture are: [. . .]
(2) A receiver attempting to catch a pass; or who has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a runner. If the receiver/runner is capable of avoiding or warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player;
[. . .]
(b) Prohibited contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture is:
(1) Forcibly hitting the defenseless player’s head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm, or shoulder, regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms to tackle the defenseless player by encircling or grasping him; and
(2) Lowering the head and making forcible contact with the top/crown or forehead/”hairline” parts of the helmet against any part of the defenseless player’s body.”

And there's this about launching: if a player illegally launches into a defenseless opponent. It is an illegal launch if a player (1) leavesboth feet prior to contact to spring forward and upward into his opponent, and (2) uses any part of his
helmet (including the top/crown and forehead/”hairline” parts) to initiate forcible contact against any
part of his opponent’s body.

Drez
09-18-2012, 05:28 PM
"who has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a runner. "

I think this was Jackson on the Phillips hit. I hate this rule. How the f*** are you supposed to break up the pass then? I'm all for eliminating the high hits that result in concussions, but this rule as worded takes away a hard hit to the midsection. That's awful.

And most of the time if the defender is going low, it isn't going to get called. However, KP went high and launched himself. By all rights, it should have been a penalty.

Not saying I necessarily agree with the rule, but that's what the rule states.

GMan-67
09-18-2012, 06:21 PM
nice pic, totally legal ... what's this launch BS, isnt that Hockey??? ... 3 steps, leaving your skates ... in the NFL launching is considered the norm ... if you cant jump, dont even apply for the NFL

Drez
09-18-2012, 06:23 PM
nice pic, totally legal ... what's this launch BS, isnt that Hockey??? ... 3 steps, leaving your skates ... in the NFL launching is considered the norm ... if you cant jump, dont even apply for the NFLYes, it is the norm in the NFL. The norm to get a 15 yard penalty.

Hessian
09-18-2012, 06:45 PM
nice pic, totally legal ... what's this launch BS, isnt that Hockey??? ... 3 steps, leaving your skates ... in the NFL launching is considered the norm ... if you cant jump, dont even apply for the NFL
Good thing Eli has mad hops :) Good thing Bettman is the NHL Commissioner and they avoided another lockout.... **** sucker.

3504spd
09-18-2012, 09:52 PM

To me he did make helmet to helmet contact, however it looked incidental to me. I mean seriously, these guys doing the hitting can get just as hurt teeing off on a guy as the one getting smacked. He was throwing a shoulder, plain and simple, his helmet made contact yes but not like what was done to D hix.

3504spd
09-18-2012, 09:58 PM
And most of the time if the defender is going low, it isn't going to get called. However, KP went high and launched himself. By all rights, it should have been a penalty.

Not saying I necessarily agree with the rule, but that's what the rule states.
What I hate is seeing a fullback in the flat get blasted in the knees by a corner coming at him full speed and flipping him like a pancake. That to me seems worse than tattooing someone that may probably be expecting it.