PDA

View Full Version : NFL Players You've Met.

NYGfanNC
09-18-2012, 08:05 AM
There's a lot of Giant's greats that I've always wanted to meet...Simms, Bavaro, LT to name a few. The only NFL players I've met are Jason Witten and Bobby Carpenter...sad, I know. What are some players you've met, and how?

RoanokeFan
09-18-2012, 08:13 AM
As a kid, in the 1950's, I met Andy Robustelli and Sam Huff. My mother's father lived in Mattituck, Long Island, NY. Every summer we'd vacation there for a few weeks and my father would commute out on the weekends. On one of those rare occasions where we went out to eat, we went to a Marina on the Mattituck Inlet. Standing at the bar in the restaurant were these two men who my father and older brother immediately recognized as Robustelli and Huff.

My Dad went over to them to just say Hi and we all spent about 45 minutes in their company just talking about whatever. They were both very down to earth and never showed any interest in ditching us lol

That's when I became a fan of the New York Football Giants.

threenout
09-18-2012, 08:27 AM
just recently met Brian Kelly at a golf event. Talked for about 20 minutes. Super great guy

rsollazz8
09-18-2012, 08:39 AM
I met Harry Carson once on the streets of Cleveland before a preseason game my buddy and I went to a few years ago. He was nice and gracious as was I. I didn't take too much of his time, but it was great to shake hands with a Hall of Famer.

GameTime
09-18-2012, 09:04 AM
As a kid, in the 1950's, I met Andy Robustelli and Sam Huff. My mother's father lived in Mattituck, Long Island, NY. Every summer we'd vacation there for a few weeks and my father would commute out on the weekends. On one of those rare occasions where we went out to eat, we went to a Marina on the Mattituck Inlet. Standing at the bar in the restaurant were these two men who my father and older brother immediately recognized as Robustelli and Huff.

My Dad went over to them to just say Hi and we all spent about 45 minutes in their company just talking about whatever. They were both very down to earth and never showed any interest in ditching us lol

That's when I became a fan of the New York Football Giants.
come on Ro....they had football when you were a kid??? Well maybe you were at the first organized game with pronceton and Rutgers......:p

ryan12
09-18-2012, 09:16 AM
i have meet tons of players at training camp

RoanokeFan
09-18-2012, 09:16 AM
come on Ro....they had football when you were a kid??? Well maybe you were at the first organized game with pronceton and Rutgers......:p

LMAO We didn't call it football "back then"

GameTime
09-18-2012, 09:17 AM
LMAO We didn't call it football "back then"
ha ha.....you and Jim Thorpe were tight I heard.......:)

RoanokeFan
09-18-2012, 09:18 AM

I didn't want to brag

GameTime
09-18-2012, 09:20 AM
I didn't want to brag

;)

ryan12
09-18-2012, 09:21 AM

time to change the avatar gametime.

GoDeep80
09-18-2012, 09:23 AM
I've met Eli, Deon Grant, Heath Evans, Benjamin Watson, and Michael Vick.

yoeddy
I've met Sean Landeta, Dave Brown, Stan White and Tiki Barber...

RoanokeFan

I'd like to savor it for at least one more day

GameTime
09-18-2012, 09:24 AM
Just thinking that myself. I usually do it on Tuesdays.

GameTime
09-18-2012, 09:25 AM
I'd like to savor it for at least one more day

ehhh.....by tomorrow you will have forgotten all about today anyway.....lol

TheAnalyst
09-18-2012, 11:14 AM
Met a ton of players after games. Notables outside of gameday and off the field are Peyton Manning and Michael Strahan at a bar. (I actually got to guard Stray from the crowd being security. I litterally had my arm on the bar between him and customers for about 30 minutes. Talked to him quite a bit. He was there with Peyton and some ladies.) Tom Brady I met, and he is a real life ******bag. Donavan McNabb was an awesome guy. Resently met LT at a signing. Literally one on one conversation for about 5 minutes. LT is the reason I am a Giants fan so that was surreal. Met JPP after a game. Shook his hand. Dude is unbelievably big. Bigger in real life. Just to name a few...

RoanokeFan
09-18-2012, 12:17 PM
ehhh.....by tomorrow you will have forgotten all about today anyway.....lol

What today? :eek:

GameTime
09-18-2012, 12:27 PM
What today? :eek:
I dont know...
what are asking me for...???

myles2424
09-18-2012, 12:41 PM
I've fortunately met tons & tons of stars & athletes over the years......as for football
Strahan...Osi....toomer...Barry sanders...Jerry rice....Montana...Ronnie Lott...Cadillac Williams...Broderick Bunkley (friend of mine,used to play high school football next to him at DE)...my dad was very close friends with Freddie Solomon,I recently attended his funeral...mike ditka(A-hole)....Jerry jones(super nice guy)....Wellington Mara....all the Caldwell brothers....& many other guys that came & went in the league...

BeatYale
09-18-2012, 12:52 PM
I live in Newport Beach, so I see a lot of athletes/celebrities. During off seasons over the years I've said hi to Bob Sanders, Jason Witten, and Jeremy Shockey. Shockey is the only one I had a conversation with because he stopped jogging when I said hey. We talked about off season conditioning briefly. I'm not the type of person who goes nuts when I spot someone, I just say hi if they are passing by me and then I go on with my day. The other locals here are pretty much the same way.

Giantz4Life
09-18-2012, 01:07 PM
Unfortunately for me the majority of football players I have met have been Jets because I live right near their HQ/practice facility and so all the players go to the bars in my town of Morristown. I have only met 3 Giants: Steve Smith, Brandon Jacobs, and Steve Weatherford. I actually took a shot with Weatherford and he is a really nice and funny dude. Jets: Braylon Edwards, Mark Sanchez, Rex Ryan, Dustin Keller, Eric Barton (dbag), Kerry Rhodes.

I see the practice squad players out at the bars all the times. They act like they're superstars at the bars.

Gmenbroinlaw
09-18-2012, 02:07 PM
Met quite a few over the years. Being married to Baas's sister helps a little.

chizz
09-18-2012, 03:18 PM
i met 'jake ballard . ahmad bradhsaw, victor cruz , and justin tuck at signings. I chatted with devyn thomas and ramses barden at training camp and i met brandon bing at the mall. all of them were really nice people

BlueBlooded1979
09-18-2012, 03:37 PM
Giants:
Simms, Taylor, Oates, Shockey, Strahan, Eli, Kiwi, Tuck, Coughlin

Others:
Peyton, Weddle, Garay

All of the Giants, except Simms, were really nice guys when I met them. Strahan will talk your ear off and is as affable in person as on TV.

bluesince86
09-18-2012, 03:58 PM
I meet LT once back in 01. He was nice enough, signed an autograph but didnt really interact much

r1000
09-18-2012, 05:35 PM
I met Antonio Peirce and Steven Baker the TD maker.. he even let me wear his Superbowl Ring to take a pic.. pretty cool..

bigjeep
09-18-2012, 05:43 PM
I didn't want to brag

Don't let these young whipper snappers get you down! I remember my father stopping in the Yankee stadium parking lot on the way home from a day in the city. We pulled in front of the main gate and just at that time out came the Giants players with their play books and crew cuts. We were the only car in front of the gate and the players all came right up to the car window and started signing whatever we could find. Must have been '61 or '62. Try getting todays players to do that!

tonyt830
09-18-2012, 06:05 PM
I met several Giants at training camp when they used to be at Fairleigh ****inson University. I believe it was after the 89 season. I met LT, Banks, Guyton, Carthon, Ottis Anderson, Meggett, Mark Collins, Sheldon White, Zeke Mowatt.

More recently, since i have moved to Tennessee, I met Steve McNair(RIP), Eddie George, Kearse, O'Donnell, Wychek, Drew Bennett, Kevin Carter.

I was working security at the time at LP Field. They were coming back from practice in the evening during camp. They were walking down the ramp into the tunnel to get to the locker room. I thought O'Donnell was a great guy. He is a Jersey guy like me. He took about 10 minutes of his time to talk to me and shoot the bull about Jersey and where we grew up etc. Real nice guy.

I also remember putting big expectation on Kearse, George and McNair. I asked Kearse if he was going to get 15 or 16 sacks the coming season, McNair if he was going to put up 3500+ yards and 20 plus TDs, and George 1300 to 1400 yards and 10 to 12 Tds.

They all were cool about it and did not act like they were any better than me or my coworkers.

The only one that did not make much of an impression on me was Haynesworth. Granted he might have been tired and hot after practice, but he has always been known to not be a people person.