PDA

View Full Version : No More Steve Spagnolo chatter after the Rams/Saints defences!

GIANTS740ilbmw
09-18-2012, 10:30 AM
Thank goodness since Perry Fewell deserves some RESPECT!
Perry has a ring too!

Goooo G-Men!!!!

Toadofsteel
09-18-2012, 10:34 AM
Perry has a ring too!

Goooo G-Men!!!!

Still want to see him generate some pressure... though the way Tuck and Osi are playing it's starting to shift my disappointment towards them.

Kruunch
09-18-2012, 10:36 AM
Perry has a ring too!

Goooo G-Men!!!!

The only reason Fewell has any pass is because of the SB last year.

Otherwise he'd be a down right BAD DC.

TheAnalyst
09-18-2012, 10:40 AM
Id still take Spags back with open arms here. He got the best out of the great talents we have in our defense. Perry really hasnt. We gave up 400 points last season, and looks like we are on track for that again this year.

GameTime
09-18-2012, 10:40 AM

championships will do that to a coach...

I was never on the Spagnulo band wagon. I would admit he had a great two seasons as DC but I never saw as the "be all end all" many Giants fans seem to veiw him as. From where I see it he was an LB coach in Philthy and then a DC for the NYGs for 2 years. Not a huge resume and certainly not enough to have the praises reign down on him like they did. His tenure as a HC wasn't great but that happens. Lets see what he does in NO with the D there.

nycisgreat
09-18-2012, 10:51 AM
Still want to see him generate some pressure... though the way Tuck and Osi are playing it's starting to shift my disappointment towards them.

I hate to admit it, but our defensive tackle play hasn't been that good either. Canty is out, and I think it is more physical and faster than the guys we have starting now. Osi, Tuck and JPP are constantly getting double team. I rarely saw our tackle win there one on one battle in both our games. I curious to see what happens Thursday against the panther. They have an excellent run game. I am pretty sure they will most like have success running the ball up the gut instead running up the edges.

gumby74
09-18-2012, 10:56 AM
Id still take Spags back with open arms here. He got the best out of the great talents we have in our defense. Perry really hasnt. We gave up 400 points last season, and looks like we are on track for that again this year.

+1

timmytimm3
09-18-2012, 11:21 AM
I hate to admit it, but our defensive tackle play hasn't been that good either. Canty is out, and I think it is more physical and faster than the guys we have starting now. Osi, Tuck and JPP are constantly getting double team. I rarely saw our tackle win there one on one battle in both our games. I curious to see what happens Thursday against the panther. They have an excellent run game. I am pretty sure they will most like have success running the ball up the gut instead running up the edges.

If Austin can step up and Canty comes back I think it will make a huge difference.

TheAnalyst
09-18-2012, 11:24 AM
The DTs are getting gassed quick. Joseph and Bernard are the only ones really playing. Kuhn had some snaps, Tuck had some, JPP had some.

Kruunch
09-18-2012, 11:25 AM
championships will do that to a coach...

I was never on the Spagnulo band wagon. I would admit he had a great two seasons as DC but I never saw as the "be all end all" many Giants fans seem to veiw him as. From where I see it he was an LB coach in Philthy and then a DC for the NYGs for 2 years. Not a huge resume and certainly not enough to have the praises reign down on him like they did. His tenure as a HC wasn't great but that happens. Lets see what he does in NO with the D there.

I liked the fact that he learned under Jimmy Johnson and kept that creative blitz happy scheme.

Sheridan, Lewis and Fewell either don't blitz or don't know how to. When Fewell brought the heat late last year our defense actually started performing. It seems to pick up our front 4 for sure.

njersey
09-18-2012, 11:35 AM

That is brilliant!

GameTime
09-18-2012, 11:37 AM
I liked the fact that he learned under Jimmy Johnson and kept that creative blitz happy scheme.

Sheridan, Lewis and Fewell either don't blitz or don't know how to. When Fewell brought the heat late last year our defense actually started performing. It seems to pick up our front 4 for sure.

yeah...the real problem with the pass rush is the front four arent generating the pressure needed to make timely blitzes either effective or not necessary.
When the front four can get pressure then obvious blitzing situations become less obvious....

giantsforce
09-18-2012, 11:45 AM
Id still take Spags back with open arms here. He got the best out of the great talents we have in our defense. Perry really hasnt. We gave up 400 points last season, and looks like we are on track for that again this year.Also, let's not forget that Spags defense is complicated and it takes time to learn it. If we all remember, we had problems on D the first few games and then everything smoothed out. Give him time with the Saints defense and he will get them into shape. Let's not forget that the Saints are missing quite a few key players since last year so I do not think he has the talent that he had with the Giants. His stint with the Rams does not count because his role was different. The fact remains that Spags is way much better DC than Fewell will ever be. Fewell so far has not shown he is anything special.

gumby74
09-18-2012, 12:11 PM
None of us really know what the heck is going on in NO right now. But I will always welcome Spags back with open arms.

GMENAGAIN
09-18-2012, 12:23 PM

lol . . . that's a pretty big reason though, no?

TheAnalyst
09-18-2012, 12:25 PM
IMO, Spags was one of the best DCs we ever had, and that is saying a lot.

Kruunch
09-18-2012, 12:36 PM
lol . . . that's a pretty big reason though, no?

Yeah and I feel stupid saying it like that but you can't enjoy giving up the amount of points and yards that we do as a fan no?

GMan-67
09-18-2012, 12:45 PM
i love Spags, but the negys on this board actually made me look at him from a unbiased/neutral position

and my conclusion is that our players made him more than he made our players

having said that in his 1st year with the Giants he gave up 80 points in the first 2 games, so he could easily get that Saints D going

but here's the thing ... literally so-called "FANS" wanted us to tank the season at 7-7 so that coaching changes would be more likely, so that we could maybe sign Spags .... helloooooo, you play to win the game, YOU PLAY to with the Super Bowl ... i almost puked seeing that thinking

Fewell is our man now, Spags is the enemy and now he is the enemy with a legit team, so let's move on ... did anyone cry when John Fox lost last night? ... i hope not .... move on ... and always remember it's the players far more than the coaches

Eli2Shockey4aTD
09-18-2012, 12:54 PM
I think Spags understood how to scheme with our front four better than Fewell has shown. I think Spags is quicker to make adjustments as well.

Problem with the Saints is that their front 4 is nothing like our front 4 during his time here and the Saints were awful last year without Spags. I am sure he will improve them as the season goes on, but everyone needs some talent. As for Spags being a head coach he was not ready, especially for a team on the downturn.

gumby74
09-18-2012, 12:56 PM
i love Spags, but the negys on this board actually made me look at him from a unbiased/neutral position

having said that in his 1st year with the Giants he gave up 80 points in the first 2 games, so he could easily get that Saints D going

but here's the thing ... literally so-called "FANS" wanted us to tank the season at 7-7 so that coaching changes would be more likely, so that we could maybe sign Spags .... helloooooo, you play to win the game, YOU PLAY to with the Super Bowl ... i almost puked seeing that thinking

Fewell is our man now, Spags is the enemy and now he is the enemy with a legit team, so let's move on ... did anyone cry when John Fox lost last night? ... i hope not .... move on ... and always remember it's they players far more than the coaches

Are you saying that Spags had better players to work with? Because if you compare rosters - especially in 2008, that's not the case.

Kruunch
09-18-2012, 12:57 PM

Fewell is our man now, Spags is the enemy and now he is the enemy with a legit team, so let's move on ... did anyone cry when John Fox lost last night? ... i hope not .... move on ... and always remember it's they players far more than the coaches

I miss Foxy (heck I miss Nolan).

dezzzR
09-18-2012, 01:08 PM
Id still take Spags back with open arms here. He got the best out of the great talents we have in our defense. Perry really hasnt. We gave up 400 points last season, and looks like we are on track for that again this year.The giants also gave up 1000 more yardslast year than Sheridans 09 defense, with cc brown as saftey.

GMan-67
09-18-2012, 01:19 PM
I miss Foxy (heck I miss Nolan).

haha, well there is a support group for you

it's called

BMWFGDC

Bromance With Former Giants Defensive Cooridnators :)

now i will admit i feel bad for Jim Fassel not getting another NFL opportunity beyond that silliness in Baltimore as offensive consultant, please !!!

FlyingTruck
09-18-2012, 01:24 PM

Fewell is our man now, Spags is the enemy and now he is the enemy with a legit team, so let's move on ... did anyone cry when John Fox lost last night? ... i hope not .... move on ... and always remember it's the players far more than the coaches
"and my conclusion is that our players made him more than he made our players"

Thank you. /thread.

thomsoad
09-18-2012, 03:04 PM
Webster became a real CB under Spags. Now all im seeing is regression.
I like Fewell....most of the time.
I think a Fewell D is more consistent...maybe even more polished.
But Spags D is all or nothing...a real gambling Defense.
I know it probably sounds dumb but dare i say Spags Defense seemed more passionate?

jakegibbs
09-18-2012, 03:15 PM
Perry has a ring too!

Goooo G-Men!!!!

I still would have like to have signed Jack Del Rio last year when he was available but you got to give credit where it's due Fewell did get it turned around when he got his players back. I just think we have the secondary to play in the pass happy league right now. Don't know if it's CB's or Safeties or both but I get tired of watching those big recievers knock our secondary around & make catches.

SackingMyths
09-18-2012, 04:11 PM
Spags' D is coughing up points left and right out there. But in his first year here, we gave up 80 pts against Dallas and GB in the first two games...and then much less in the rematches. Maybe it just takes time to get adjusted to.

For what it's worth, I liked his aggressive, attacking scheme better than PF's. And I liked the press coverage better too. I bet the remaining players do too.

ryan12
09-18-2012, 04:20 PM
The giants also gave up 1000 more yardslast year than Sheridans 09 defense, with cc brown as saftey.

can we me a pact and agree to never use the name cc brown EVER again on these boards

Marvelousmik
09-18-2012, 04:23 PM

you want to see PF generate more pressure, or osi and tuck?

Marvelousmik
09-18-2012, 04:23 PM
Perry has a ring too!

Goooo G-Men!!!!

+1111111111

Marvelousmik
09-18-2012, 04:25 PM

the superbowl last year and the top 5 ranked defense the year before when we lead the league in defensive turnovers his first year with us. Besides that id be down on him too

B&RWarrior
09-18-2012, 04:32 PM
Poeple keep going on about Spags. Spags had a Tuck in his prime. Strahan, AP, Fred Robbins, and Madision at CB. It wasn't Sam Madison in his prime but he had a lot left in the tank. Ross's holes in his coverage game had yet to be discovered. )7 was a better defensive unit.

Fewell's defense was almost flawless in the late year run. We shut down ATL smacked GB in GB, smacked 49ers and kept NE under wraps for most of the game. Fewell's D was gold in the playoffs.

JesseJames
09-18-2012, 05:27 PM
I have to say that I like the way our defense performed under Spags, we just seemed to play smarter and more aggressive....

Hooligans
09-18-2012, 07:57 PM
I would rather have Spags back a Defensive Coordinator...don't be surprised if Spags replaces Coughlin when he steps down. Remember Bellicheks first gig at Cleveland as HC didn't go great......and we all know about the 2nd one up there in NE. Yes, Spags would be much better at DC than Perry Fewell.

FBomb
09-18-2012, 08:00 PM
I seem to remember a time, not so long ago....the first 2 games of Spags' career as a DC in NY. We were ready to show him the door.......guess what happened.

Rat_bastich
09-18-2012, 08:08 PM
The defense seems less aggressive and more read and react. I remember the big knock on Handley was that he wanted to install a read and react defense...which he did. Read and reacts have not gotten any better since. There always seems to be that moment of hesitation where the defensive linemen don't know whether to rush, to put their arms up or to drop back into coverage. Plus, the Tampa 2 needs a strong Mike backer...which we are still weak on to this point.

In order for this defense to succeed the coach has to be aggressive, or there is no point to waste any more draft picks on pass rushers. There is way too much time for the opposing quarterbacks to set their feet and pick a target.

Captain Chaos
09-18-2012, 08:26 PM
I think Spags will bring them around (just in time to play us of course). Fewell needs to get out guys on the same page, think he is a very solid coach!

gumby74
09-18-2012, 11:09 PM
Poeple keep going on about Spags. Spags had a Tuck in his prime. Strahan, AP, Fred Robbins, and Madision at CB. It wasn't Sam Madison in his prime but he had a lot left in the tank. Ross's holes in his coverage game had yet to be discovered. )7 was a better defensive unit.

Fewell's defense was almost flawless in the late year run. We shut down ATL smacked GB in GB, smacked 49ers and kept NE under wraps for most of the game. Fewell's D was gold in the playoffs.

In 2008, I believe Osi was out. Strahan had retired, Wilson was gone, as was Mitchell. He also had michael johnson, danny clark, whoever the hell played weakside, kevin dockery, and sammy knight. We have way more talent on defense now than when he was d coordinator. It's not even close.

gumby74
09-18-2012, 11:10 PM
I seem to remember a time, not so long ago....the first 2 games of Spags' career as a DC in NY. We were ready to show him the door.......guess what happened.

Except Fewell stunk it up for most of last season too.

BlueSanta
09-18-2012, 11:28 PM
Why hate on Spaggs? He did a lot for us.

dnotch121
09-19-2012, 06:51 AM
Also have to consider we had Michael Strahan. A true vocal leader that made guys play better when they looked horrible. This defense has no leader. Tuck looks more depressed than anybody else on that field sometimes.

Kruunch
09-19-2012, 07:53 AM
haha, well there is a support group for you

it's called

BMWFGDC

Bromance With Former Giants Defensive Cooridnators :)

now i will admit i feel bad for Jim Fassel not getting another NFL opportunity beyond that silliness in Baltimore as offensive consultant, please !!!

Supposedly Fassel got black listed by Wellington.

Kruunch
09-19-2012, 07:59 AM
the superbowl last year and the top 5 ranked defense the year before when we lead the league in defensive turnovers his first year with us. Besides that id be down on him too

We were 7th over all in yardage and 17th in points given up.

If you're going to throw out stats at least be accurate.

Our defense in 2010 wasn't good (it just seemed that way in comparison to Sheridan's 2009 defense) and it was downright awful most of last year.

I do give PF credit for simplifying his schemes a little at the end of the year (and throwing less three man rush packages) when it counted the most. I just hope we don't have to wait until the end of the season again before we see the defense come together.

Rat_bastich
09-19-2012, 08:29 AM
Supposedly Fassel got black listed by Wellington.

Wonder why. I thought Mara loved Fassel.

gumby74
09-19-2012, 08:30 AM
Also have to consider we had Michael Strahan. A true vocal leader that made guys play better when they looked horrible. This defense has no leader. Tuck looks more depressed than anybody else on that field sometimes. Not in 2008 we didn't.

Kruunch
09-19-2012, 08:39 AM
Wonder why. I thought Mara loved Fassel.

It was when he went for the Bills job. Mara and Wilson are tight and Mara gave Wilson a warning about Fassel (supposedly why he didn't get the job). Apparently Fassel had a drinking problem while with the Giants.

The fact that Fassel couldn't land the Raiders job tells me he must be doing something like puking on the owner's shoes at these interviews. He's been doing pretty well in the UFL though (head of football operations for the league in addition to being a coach).

jackmac
09-19-2012, 10:36 AM
Agreed. Everybody forgets our defense gave up 80 points in Spags first 2 games as DC back in '07. Give hime time - he's still a better DC than Fewell.

JesseJames
09-19-2012, 10:51 AM
Ray Handley and Tim Lewis both had that read and react type of defense which got us nothing but humiliation, right now our players are asking to play more bump and run so receivers don't get a free release off the line and they think it will be much better so we'll see....

sc_markt
09-19-2012, 11:48 AM
Id still take Spags back with open arms here.

I feel the same way.

GIANTS740ilbmw
09-30-2012, 10:03 AM
Lets see how well Spags do today cause if the Saints go 0-4 Maybe we can start appreciating Perry Fewell

Eli2Shockey4aTD
09-30-2012, 10:23 AM
Saints defense looks like they are not even trying out there. They look slow, confused, and are poor tacklers. Much like last year.

Captain Chaos
09-30-2012, 10:44 AM
I reserve the right to change my mind of Fewell each and every game, if we win I like him and if we lose I loath him. Therefor, this week I like Fewell and and not concerned about bringing spags back.

appodictic
09-30-2012, 10:56 AM
The NFL is completely transformed since 2007. It is a passing league now. A great D means just getting a couple stops a game so your offence scores more then the other team.

drewz
09-30-2012, 11:17 AM
PF and his weak zone coverage will be the death of me. I, too, would welcome back Spags

ny06
09-30-2012, 11:28 AM
The NFL is completely transformed since 2007. It is a passing league now. A great D means just getting a couple stops a game so your offence scores more then the other team.
The Ravens Defense has been really good through out the changing of the NFL

BeatYale
09-30-2012, 11:47 AM
The Ravens Defense has been really good through out the changing of the NFL

That's because anyone who makes a mistake has to deal with Ray Lewis....

http://helmetandpadsrequired.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/ravens-ray-lewis-baltimore-280x150.jpg