PDA

View Full Version : Andre Brown: How big a role going forward?

RoanokeFan
09-18-2012, 12:44 PM
http://www.bigblueview.com/2012/9/18/3351678/andre-brown-new-yrok-giants-ahmad-bradshaw-david-wilson

Excerpt: "What should the New York Giants (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/new-york-giants) make of the excellent -- and surprising -- work by running back Andre Brown (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/71293/andre-brown)in Sunday's 41-34 victory over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/tampa-bay-buccaneers)?

Pressed into duty when Bradshaw suffered a sprained neck, Brown had the game of his career -- 13 carries, 71 yards, a touchdown and a two-point conversion.

"He did well," said Giants head coach Tom Coughlin. "He ran hard, he ran fast, he really had a chance to break a couple. I thought maybe he was coming out there with one of them and he caught the ball out of the backfield well and knew to get north and south and took care of the ball and I think for the first time he's had that kind of exposure and play time, I thought he came through it well." [Full transcript (http://www.bigblueview.com/2012/9/17/3347934/tom-coughlin-09-17-12)]Question is, was this a cameo for Brown? Was it a one-time, feel-good performance for a guy who has had a vagabond career since the Giants drafted him in the fourth round of the 2009 NFL Draft and had amassed one career carry prior to Sunday? Will he just recede into the background again once Bradshaw is healthy and as first-round draft pick David Wilson (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/152687/david-wilson) develops? Or, was it a sign of things to come? Was it an indication that the 6-foot, 240-pound 25-year-old is finally ready to really help the Giants? Could he really play a key role?" Read more...

nycisgreat
09-18-2012, 12:54 PM
The thing that impressed me the most was his ability to catch the ball with his hands instead of his body. Bradshaw tries to catch balls with his body more than his hands. It has been a while since we had a decent screen game.

timmytimm3
09-18-2012, 12:55 PM
Earth Wind and fire when Bradshaw is back.

RoanokeFan
09-18-2012, 01:14 PM
The thing that impressed me the most was his ability to catch the ball with his hands instead of his body. Bradshaw tries to catch balls with his body more than his hands. It has been a while since we had a decent screen game.

And for me, it was the heads up play where he scooped up the botched exchange between Baas and Eli and we didn't take a loss in yards.

GMENAGAIN
09-18-2012, 01:25 PM
I actually have to eat crow on Andre Brown . . . I just never thought that he was going to make a significant contribution after his injury. Glad I was wrong on that one.

I'd like to see him get more involved to see what more he can do . . . . .

Beelzeboss
09-18-2012, 01:26 PM
I am really excited to see this kid get some more opportunities. The thing I liked the most was how comfortable he looked out there, stayed patient, hit the holes smoothly and looked like he had a pretty good handle on the football. I would love for our run game to have that 2 headed attack again.

BigBlue1971
09-18-2012, 01:47 PM
i was impressed with Andre on Sunday. after AB went down i thought Wilson would be primary in the backfield. but Andre came in and imo did a very good job.

i dont know if Bradshaw wouldve had the day Andre did.

i expect even when Bradshaw is healthy i think Andre will have a few plays designed for him.

he only needs to improve each week. if he does we could have a tandem of rbs to match our tandem of wideouts!

GMan-67
09-18-2012, 01:53 PM
Earth Wind and fire when Bradshaw is back.

haha, so Brown is Fire, Wilson is Wind, Bradshaw is Earth

he's gonna start (Brown), but we will be looking for an excuse to give Wilson a series ... im OK if he doesnt give us an excuse, but either way, we're still OK at RB, so long as AB is not done for the year ... maybe Scott and JJ get activated with AB and Hix out ... fortunately, we have some apparent depth at RB and WR ... CB not so much, but that's tougher b/c you only need to play 1 RB at a time and maybe 3 WR at a time, whereas in dime or quarter you might be playing 4 or 5 CBs

you know, we might want to start calling J-Will a BIG Safety the way we use him

Eli2Shockey4aTD
09-18-2012, 01:56 PM
I liked Borwn coming out of college and he suffered a serious injury that set him back. Maybe it is time he gets some hefty work going forward.

Captain Chaos
09-18-2012, 09:37 PM
He's earned his playing time on Thursday, think he has proven he has a place in that RB rotation!

gfd_2
09-18-2012, 09:42 PM
He was a VERY pleasant surprise. I didn't realize he's been around the league until after Sunday's game. Until Wilson matures, a backfield with Bradshaw and Brown would be sweet.

Toadofsteel
09-18-2012, 09:49 PM
I knew we needed Brown, especially after Jacobs left the team. Bradshaw is a cutback guy and WIlson is a speed guy, without Jacobs we would have needed a power guy, glad to see Brown step up like that.

YATittle1962
09-18-2012, 09:50 PM
he came in and gave the offense a nice spark with some nice runs

but what impressed me was when he threw his body in harms way with reckless abandon to protect his QB

the kid is real

moosedrool
09-18-2012, 09:51 PM
No dancing, north south runner with power and surprising quickness for a guy his size.

But it's important to mention how well Beatty blocked in the run game. If you don't believe me, watch the game again and focus on Beatty and Locklear. They were getting to the second level. PFF confirmed it with positive run block grades on Snee, Boothe, Locklear, and Beatty. Baas and Diehl had negative run block grades.

Joe Morrison
09-18-2012, 09:52 PM
With that performance maybe Bradshaw will stop all the jitterbug and get back to running down hill, Brown made his decisions and ran downhill all day, made the OLine look like they have some potential.

GameTime
09-18-2012, 10:07 PM
he will start and get most of the reps on thursday.

bbdynasty
09-18-2012, 11:02 PM
browns production was a product of a vastly improved o line play imo... bradshaw could've done it, and i think wilson too

joemorrisforprez
09-19-2012, 01:55 AM
browns production was a product of a vastly improved o line play imo... bradshaw could've done it, and i think wilson too

I think the offensive line played well....but that doesn't take aware from the fact that Andre Brown has been the most effective and dependable running back this (still very early) season.

If it were my call, I'd start Andre Brown on Thursday, and mix in plenty of Wilson.

joemorrisforprez
09-19-2012, 01:57 AM
With that performance maybe Bradshaw will stop all the jitterbug and get back to running down hill, Brown made his decisions and ran downhill all day, made the OLine look like they have some potential.

Agreed....that **** might have worked a few years ago late in the game.......but the dude has got bad wheels, and he's no longer the change of pace back.

Frankly, I'm all for riding the hot hand until further notice. Andre Brown has paid his NFL dues.....let him make the most of the opportunity.

Toadofsteel
09-19-2012, 02:14 AM
Regardless of who starts, Brown will get a decent number of carries. TC will play him since he is now ironically the most veteran RB on the roster with Bradshaw down for the count. I just picked him up on my fantasy team...

moosedrool
09-19-2012, 02:14 AM
Just looked at a few draft profiles from 2009 on Andre Brown. In his career at NC State, he had 22 rushing TD's, 2539 yards on 523 carries (5.0 avg) with ZERO fumbles. Is it possible, a Giant RB who didn't have fumbling problem coming out of college?

70 catches for 631 yards and 2 touchdowns

He ran a 4.49 40 at the combine.

"Brown is a good straight-ahead runner; though he runs somewhat upright, he
lowers his pads and keeps his legs and feet moving to pick up additional yards
after contact. Hes nimble, but hes far more apt to run over a defender than he
is to make him miss."

Rat_bastich
09-19-2012, 02:21 AM
I'm glad Brown is getting his shot. I felt bad for the guy after he did his 'I got a ring' video and then almost was suspended. While I don't think he'll be a big time runner, I definitely think he'll be an integral part of a running back committee.

GMENAGAIN
09-19-2012, 07:21 AM
Just looked at a few draft profiles from 2009 on Andre Brown. In his career at NC State, he had 22 rushing TD's, 2539 yards on 523 carries (5.0 avg) with ZERO fumbles. Is it possible, a Giant RB who didn't have fumbling problem coming out of college?

70 catches for 631 yards and 2 touchdowns

He ran a 4.49 40 at the combine.

"Brown is a good straight-ahead runner; though he runs somewhat upright, he
lowers his pads and keeps his legs and feet moving to pick up additional yards
after contact. Hes nimble, but hes far more apt to run over a defender than he
is to make him miss."

His talent was never the question . . . . it was always about whether he could come back after sustaining an achilles tear, which is a brutal injury for a RB