PDA

View Full Version : Steve Sabol passes away

YATittle1962
09-18-2012, 02:28 PM
I know this is not directly Giants related

but Steve contributed so much to the way we view the league to the point were a ton of us would not be fans of the game if it were not for Steve and the access he gave us to the game.

his innovative vision and tireless effort to bring the game into everyones home as if they were on the field has forever changed the game

Steve will be sorely missed

thank you for everything you have done and rest easy Mr. Sabol

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000063643/article/steve-sabol-founder-of-nfl-films-dies?module=HP11_headline_stack

FBomb
09-18-2012, 02:29 PM
Thank You SS!!!

fansince69
09-18-2012, 02:31 PM
Didn't he do "this week in football"?

GameTime
09-18-2012, 02:32 PM
Hall of Famer I believe for his media/film work for the NFL right?
RIP.....

miked1958
09-18-2012, 02:49 PM
Great great stuff he produced for years and years. big shoes to fill. he will be missed.

didnt even realize he was battling brain cancer for last 18 months

YATittle1962
09-18-2012, 02:50 PM
back in the day when there weren't many games on TV I used to live for those NFL FIlms highlight reels with the dramatic music

he was a true pioneer

GameTime
09-18-2012, 02:54 PM
back in the day when there weren't many games on TV I used to live for those NFL FIlms highlight reels with the dramatic music

he was a true pioneer

Father and Son breakfast at my local church would play the NFL flims. Have great memories of that...

Giantz4Life
09-18-2012, 02:55 PM
RIP

Toadofsteel
09-18-2012, 03:06 PM
RIP Sabol... it won't be the same without you. You can tell Rich Eisen was heavily disturbed by it when reporting it too...

primetime
09-18-2012, 03:10 PM
Sad news, RIP Steve Sabol. Every fan of the NFL owes you and your father a great thank you for NFL Films.

thomsoad
09-18-2012, 03:37 PM

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000063643/article/steve-sabol-founder-of-nfl-films-dies?module=HP11_headline_stack

Dont worry Tittle...no moderator in his/her right mind would DARE move this thread...Its called respect.
And no man deserves it more the Steve Sabol.

fansince69
09-18-2012, 03:39 PM
Dont worry Tittle...no moderator in his/her right mind would DARE move this thread...Its called respect.
And no man deserves it more the Steve Sabol.

YA is a mod....I think it stays

thomsoad
09-18-2012, 03:47 PM
You can tell Rich Eisen was heavily disturbed by it when reporting it too...

I just watched that on NFL. com
You are totally right...you can tell Eisen was really trying not to break down reporting it. I do know those two were friends during ESPN and even more so when NFLN started.

Kruunch
09-18-2012, 03:50 PM
Awww that's a bummer. Loved his films and what he did for chronicling the NFL.

Cool Papa B.
09-18-2012, 03:53 PM
I started a thread about Sabol in the General Sports Section. But I'll just reiterate what I said there.

Very sad to hear. As a little kid in the 70's my brother and I couldn't wait for NFL Films to come on. Those shows were awesome. You didn't have the Red Zone, Sunday Ticket, NFL Network, NFL.com or any of these other channels then so you really relied on the NFL Films and some other shows for info about games from the past week. The way he choreographed those shows, he made the shows look more exciting than the games!

God bless him and his family and may the Lord comfort his family in the wake of there loss and touch there lives for generations.

My favorite video and song from Sabol was "The Autumn Wind"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xjxolBQSR8

fansince69
09-18-2012, 03:56 PM
I started a thread about Sabol in the General Sports Section. But I'll just reiterate what I said there.

Very sad to hear. As a little kid in the 70's my brother and I couldn't wait for NFL Films to come on. Those shows were awesome. You didn't have the Red Zone, Sunday Ticket, NFL Network, NFL.com or any of these other channels then so you really relied on the NFL Films and some other shows for info about games from the past week. The way he choreographed those shows, he made the shows look more exciting than the games!

God bless him and his family and may the Lord comfort his family in the wake of there loss and touch there lives for generations.

My favorite video and song from Sabol was "The Autumn Wind"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xjxolBQSR8

I think the show was called this week in football....Pretty sure Sabol did that one....do we have the same show in mind?It would show a little recap of every game ...

jakegibbs
09-18-2012, 04:08 PM

he was a true pioneer

. I'm sorry but all the mess they have on NFL Network & ESPN don't hold a candle to what Mr. Sabol was able to put together. Those films help make the NFL what it is today but with all the games getting later & later & night to watch & the 8 hour build up to a 60 min game I'm afraid it's peaked & has no where to go but down now. It happened to baseball it can happen to football. Only time will tell.

Cool Papa B.
09-18-2012, 04:16 PM
I think the show was called this week in football....Pretty sure Sabol did that one....do we have the same show in mind?It would show a little recap of every game ...

I think it was called NFL films Presents, or just NFL Films.

GiantWarfare
09-18-2012, 04:27 PM
Huge loss to the football community and the sports world. Man was an innovator and a film genius. I grew up watching a lot of his films. RIP Steve Sabol.

RichardMc
09-18-2012, 04:30 PM
I said this is in another thread and I will say it again. Steve Sabol and his father created an artform. When I was a kid I hid under the bed rather than go to church so I could watch This Week in The NFL which became This Week In Pro Football. Then I would wait for the NFL Game of The Week. My hands were too small to hold a football they way I saw them hold it on NFL FIlms so I used a shoe. I would move in slow motion, hum the music and do my best to sound like John Facenda. The Sabols, especially Steve, have done as much for the NFL as anyone and Steve deserves the highest tribute the NFL can pay him. I hope the NFL honors Steve Sabol in the way in which he is deserving. Without Steve Sabol the NFL would not be what it is today.

Martin 2
09-18-2012, 05:52 PM

he was a true pioneer

So true! Those highlite reels were better than the Games!

Man, that footage would have my hair on edge

Bing Crosby
09-18-2012, 06:01 PM
God Bless, and thanks for the memories. Rest in Peace my friend.

GMan-67
09-18-2012, 06:12 PM
RIP Steve ... the way he combined music to football ... unreal ... football is a religion for me, maybe it would have been anyway, but NFL Films cemented it ... he was great, he will be missed

TheBookOfEli
09-18-2012, 06:22 PM
This is a sad day for the NFL. Just a few days ago i was actually thinking about him and his well being. Sad to see such a great man go. His work on NFL films was Oscar worthy.

RIP Steve Sabol. A true pioneer of the NFL.

hungrrrry
09-18-2012, 07:01 PM

but Steve contributed so much to the way we view the league to the point were a ton of us would not be fans of the game if it were not for Steve and the access he gave us to the game.

his innovative vision and tireless effort to bring the game into everyones home as if they were on the field has forever changed the game

Thats too bad! I started getting used to his voice, narrating. I don't know the guy who did it before him but he was THE football narrator, in my opinion.

Hessian
09-18-2012, 07:03 PM
What a fantastic icon he was. I cannot imagine any person being better at capturing the absolute and honest emotion that we as fans get from watching professional football. R.I.P. Steve Sabol.

fourth&forever
09-18-2012, 07:21 PM
Who didn't look forward to Steve's film every week before the game?
He created the wonderful NFL nostalgia that exists today.

Captain Chaos
09-18-2012, 09:33 PM
He will be sadly missed, he truly was an artist!

3504spd
09-18-2012, 10:01 PM
The man and his family made a great game even greater with the beautiful work they did over the years. Thank you Sabol family.

nycisgreat
09-18-2012, 10:03 PM
[QUOTE=YATittle1962;491745]I know this is not directly Giants related

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000063643/article/steve-sabol-founder-of-nfl-films-dies?module=HP11_headline_stack[/QUOTE

RIP Mr. Sabol.

Roosevelt
09-18-2012, 11:46 PM
He and his dad were the perfect match for the NFL. RIP Steve.

joemorrisforprez
09-19-2012, 01:49 AM
RIP Steve Sabol.....he deserves a spot in the Hall of Fame, next to his dad.

22for25
09-19-2012, 01:56 AM
This sucks, way to young. He will be missed.

G-Men Surg.
09-19-2012, 04:06 AM
He will be deeply missed ! RIP Mr. Sabol !

Parademon
09-19-2012, 02:29 PM
As a kid growing up in Brooklyn back in the day, I used to live for watching "This week in the NFL" followed by "Game of the week" the awesome music by Sam Spence didn't hurt either.

RIP Mr Sabol. A true football icon!