PDA

View Full Version : whos going to be the QB SPY THIS WEEK?

BigBlueCrew22
09-19-2012, 01:04 AM
...usually one of the linebackers but none of them are quick enough to get cam, maybe boley but he has a bad leg doesnt he??? maybe put will hill out their?? and put rolle at the nickle corner, or maybe hosley spy on him but he is too small to tackle him??? soo im thinking rolle maybe?? hill maybe?? or boley?? who will spy ?? kiwi?? how about osi at outside linebacker?!?!? would be awesome have him on the spy he does run a 4.5 40 he could run him down the main game plan is too stop cam.

YATittle1962
09-19-2012, 01:06 AM
no one spies with one player

that would defeat the purpose of a spy

Cam will be many different players responsibility on many different plays for sure

and at times won't be spied at all and will be the responsibility of inside and outside contain

so lane and gap responsibility is of utmost importance

Rat_bastich
09-19-2012, 01:11 AM
...usually one of the linebackers but none of them are quick enough to get cam, maybe boley but he has a bad leg doesnt he??? maybe put will hill out their?? and put rolle at the nickle corner, or maybe hosley spy on him but he is too small to tackle him??? soo im thinking rolle maybe?? hill maybe?? or boley?? who will spy ?? kiwi?? how about osi at outside linebacker?!?!? would be awesome have him on the spy he does run a 4.5 40 he could run him down the main game plan is too stop cam.

If any of the linebackers would it most likely would be J Will, but as YA said it will be a combination of players and sometimes none at all. If the D-line gets pressure and can break through the line often, then most likely you'll see a spy or two since Cam will get happy feet and have more of a penchant to run. If the D-line gets no pressure then it'll be more on the secondary and linebackers to save the day.

ny06
09-19-2012, 01:13 AM

Cam will be many different players responsibility on many different plays for sure

Exactly, the best defense for an athletic QB like Cam is to keep him in the pocket. Easier said than done, but the d-line has to stay in their lanes. Executing their assignments and technique will be very important for the d-line this week.
The one player I could see having the assignment to eye Cam Newton on some plays is Jacquian Williams.

Rat_bastich
09-19-2012, 01:25 AM
Exactly, the best defense for an athletic QB like Cam is to keep him in the pocket. Easier said than done, but the d-line has to stay in their lanes. Executing their assignments and technique will be very important for the d-line this week.
The one player I could see having the assignment to eye Cam Newton on some plays is Jacquian Williams.

Unfortunately, in order for the containment aspect to work the defensive backs will have to cover like a blanket. Hopefully the D-Line can crush the pocket and keep Newton in the pocket as it collapses. As you said the line will have to stay in their lanes and get that push.

ny06
09-19-2012, 01:33 AM
Unfortunately, in order for the containment aspect to work the defensive backs will have to cover like a blanket. Hopefully the D-Line can crush the pocket and keep Newton in the pocket as it collapses. As you said the line will have to stay in their lanes and get that push.
Even pushing the pocket Cam has enough athleticism to get outside the tackles. It will be a huge challenge for the defense this week. We saw week one what can happen when you lose containement and let the qb have a few extra seconds to make a throw.

Beelzeboss
09-19-2012, 01:44 AM
DE's are gonna have to stay outside the tackles, maybe play Rolle in that hybrid S/LB position we saw a lot of last year. When our defense gets the chance to hit him, make sure its violent(not in a injury way). Our D-line is really gonna need to step up this game. I CAN'T WAIT FOR THURSDAY NIGHT!!!

BurnerNYG
09-19-2012, 01:49 AM

and at times won't be spied at all and will be the responsibility of inside and outside contain

so lane and gap responsibility is of utmost importanceSchool em YA. You hit the nail on the head. You stand around spying a man that threw for 4000 yards a year ago and end up being a victim of a 400 yard game. I'm pretty sure the Carolina coaches saw Freeman airing it out on Sunday. Carolina's gameplan might be to keep Cam in the pocket with some dink and dunk passes, a few bombs to Smitty and Lafell, get us to overpursue and then release Cam in the 4th quarter when the defense is gassed with some option plays and screens.

giantsfan420
09-19-2012, 01:55 AM
i know our d can reach a much higher level of play. i just dont see it being this thur. night vs carolina.

i believe we will win in somewhat of a shootout. our offense should continue from that 2nd half vs TB. We just need our defense to make one or two key stops to ensure we score more than them with eli leading the O. And with 44 not playing, I expect us to pass the rock a lot and use Brown/Wilson after we've set their d up.
with vick, who is as fast as cam i'd say if not quicker, we used jwill to spy on a lot of snaps. i suspect it'd be him, and a wildcard in this, Rivers if he is active. He most def has the athleticism needed to spy/contain cam

BigBlueCrew22
09-19-2012, 02:00 AM
well the d-line if you asked me has been terrible not even a lot of jpp yet and absolutely none of osi or tuck, cuz all they do is rush 4 and we are good enough to rush 4 it just has been absent, idk whats wrong, but i think this game your going to have to blitz newton or he is going to kill us

BurnerNYG
09-19-2012, 02:17 AM
i know our d can reach a much higher level of play. i just dont see it being this thur. night vs carolina.

i believe we will win in somewhat of a shootout. our offense should continue from that 2nd half vs TB. We just need our defense to make one or two key stops to ensure we score more than them with eli leading the O. And with 44 not playing, I expect us to pass the rock a lot and use Brown/Wilson after we've set their d up.
with vick, who is as fast as cam i'd say if not quicker, we used jwill to spy on a lot of snaps. i suspect it'd be him, and a wildcard in this, Rivers if he is active. He most def has the athleticism needed to spy/contain camYeah I agree, we definitely need to continue with the offense we used against Tampa. This is Eli's team... use the pass to setup the run and not the other way around. Our receivers are way too talented for us to be running some old school, conservative approach. We need to start burying teams and disposing of em early.

Carolina is a fast starting team but like one of their fans said, they're not finishers. Our team is the total opposite... we start slow but we're the masters of finishing.

Cam Newton is a handful, probably somebody you can't completely shutdown but you can force him into making mistakes. Although he's already a phenomenal player I don't think he has completely arrived yet. This is his first time playing against a Manning in a regular season matchup though so I think he's gonna leave it all out on the field Thursday night with an incredible performance. Should be a very entertaining game that we should win.

giantsfan420
09-19-2012, 04:05 AM
nice post burner

Rat_bastich
09-19-2012, 04:10 AM
Yeah I agree, we definitely need to continue with the offense we used against Tampa. This is Eli's team... use the pass to setup the run and not the other way around. Our receivers are way too talented for us to be running some old school, conservative approach. We need to start burying teams and disposing of em early.

Carolina is a fast starting team but like one of their fans said, they're not finishers. Our team is the total opposite... we start slow but we're the masters of finishing.

Cam Newton is a handful, probably somebody you can't completely shutdown but you can force him into making mistakes. Although he's already a phenomenal player I don't think he has completely arrived yet. This is his first time playing against a Manning in a regular season matchup though so I think he's gonna leave it all out on the field Thursday night with an incredible performance. Should be a very entertaining game that we should win.

Give them the underneath stuff and keep them from making yards after the catch. But, that is going to take a consistent stout defensive effort of which I haven't seen as of yet this year.

Cam is going to make plays, but we don't need to give up big chunks of yardage and guys need to tackle. If the defensive front can't get in his face it is going to be a long day.

Plus, here is an interesting article:

http://nfl.si.com/2012/09/12/break-it-down-why-cam-newton-could-not-solve-tampa-bays-defense/

So, essentially stop the run to cause them to abandon it early and then switch to a primarily nickel and dime defense. Cam likes to throw over the middle when it comes to making passes. Have the Mike drop back into the middle or bring up one of the safeties to sit in the middle. Be aggressive with the front four.

Captain Chaos
09-19-2012, 04:47 AM
I'm sure that Cam has watched the Dallas game and already is licking his chops.... The line has to pressure while maintaining their containment, The LBs have keep one eye on the running backs and one eye on Cam. This will be a challenge!

B-Red22
09-19-2012, 07:00 AM

J-will pretty much shut Vick down last year, I would say he is "quick" enough.

B-Red22
09-19-2012, 07:02 AM
Yeah I agree, we definitely need to continue with the offense we used against Tampa. This is Eli's team... use the pass to setup the run and not the other way around. Our receivers are way too talented for us to be running some old school, conservative approach. We need to start burying teams and disposing of em early.

Start burying teams?? i can't remember the last time we made a win easy.

gmen0820
09-19-2012, 07:21 AM
Derrick Brooks.

GMan-67
09-19-2012, 07:48 AM
a few guys will do it ... easier said than done, but we need to make him beat us with his arm

Giant_Chief1976
09-19-2012, 07:50 AM
This is one of those games I wish we had Dieon Grant back on the team...he was always great as spying the QB. We've always played well against mobile QBs though...Vick has never really been a problem for us. I'm guessing we'll see a few more three-safety looks.

Buddy333
09-19-2012, 08:13 AM
The Giants DL has not been as bad as some are making them out to be. Other than one run the 1st game they have contained the run very well. The problem is teams are getting rid of the ball and the Giants secondary has been bad. Those 2 things negate the best pass rushes. So do the Panthers have enough weapons in the passing game to be dangerous? Does Prince play and help out the secondary? Will Rivers p,a and if so will he be 100%? I'd also like to see Hill get some playing time.

Kruunch
09-19-2012, 08:45 AM
Considering the success the Panthers had with Newton rushing and the failure of depending on his arm solely, contain and discipline will be majorly important.

Hence I'm expecting another shootout. :D

burier
09-19-2012, 11:08 AM
Spies are overrated. Especially with the talent we have. We don't match up.

We just need to hit Cam...hard and a lot. I feel like every time they try an option play Cam should be decked until they give up on it all together.

knock Cam around and we win.

CowboysSuck
09-19-2012, 11:18 AM
This is one of those games I wish we had Dieon Grant back on the team...he was always great as spying the QB. We've always played well against mobile QBs though...Vick has never really been a problem for us. I'm guessing we'll see a few more three-safety looks.

I dont recall Grant being 'great' at spying any QB. First off hes a saefty. Secondly he isnt that fast.

Idk, maybe he did/was I really dont remember.

I'd prefer 2 spys that also play zone, just to the outside and a tad bit upfield of the DE's. That way you arent completely taking 1 or 2 guys out of your defense.

YATittle1962
09-19-2012, 11:21 AM
Spies are overrated. Especially with the talent we have. We don't match up.

We just need to hit Cam...hard and a lot. I feel like every time they try an option play Cam should be decked until they give up on it all together.

knock Cam around and we win.

the Giants will definitely spy

not with a designated player.....but will spy none the less

CowboysSuck
09-19-2012, 11:26 AM
the Giants will definitely spy

not with a designated player.....but will spy none the less

Exactly. For example in their base nickel defense, Cover 2, the 2 LB's probably wont go more than 5-10 yards deep (keeping an eye on Cam) from the line of scrimmage. Pinch down the safety's a bit and hope the corners can do thier job underneath. Obviously I'm not an NFL coach but the point is there are ways to 'spy' a mobile QB without just throwing in a linebacker and saying, 'here, follow the qb everywhere he goes'

Beelzeboss
09-19-2012, 01:50 PM
Start burying teams?? i can't remember the last time we made a win easy.

I believe that is why he said "start"

giantsfan420
09-19-2012, 02:01 PM
rivers is probable iirc. he's my pick for defensive player of the game (if he does play) bc i think his athleticism can match up with cam

GameTime
09-19-2012, 02:05 PM
very important for the Giants to play disciplined on D this week up front. Similar scheme to what they would do with Vick I would asssume.
Look at what Romo did because they didnt contain and maintain. Dont get all pissy if they dont blitz alot. If the do they will get smoked. Unless they are occasional and well timed and executed edge blitzes. Oh yeah....Cam is 6'5" and 250. Big dude.......