PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Corey Webster was right after all.

thomsoad
09-19-2012, 03:22 PM
Read an article yesterday (maybe Monday) here about how he feels the secondary would be much better if they were able to jam receivers at the line.
Just read the ESPN article about how Seattle dominated Dez by doing just that.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast

TheAnalyst
09-19-2012, 03:24 PM
If only Perry would change.

burier
09-19-2012, 03:24 PM
lol Corey Webster should be playing as far off the reciever as possible. He's toast waiting to happen.

TheAnalyst
09-19-2012, 03:26 PM
lol Corey Webster should be playing as far off the reciever as possible. He's toast waiting to happen.

Actually, he plays a lot better jamming the WR on the LOS. So did T2 and Im sure Prince would be better off as well. We have physical CBs. We can have a safety over the top. I remember last year when we started pressing more often, we started winning more often and playing beter D overall.

BParcells777
09-19-2012, 03:29 PM
Perry is a very conservative guy..........can we get Spags back next year???

moosedrool
09-19-2012, 03:30 PM

Don't agree with that at all.

ny06
09-19-2012, 03:30 PM
Perry is a very conservative guy..........can we get Spags back next year???
With the way the Saints Defense has played the past two weeks, you may get your wish.

TheAnalyst
09-19-2012, 03:31 PM
With the way the Saints Defense has played the past two weeks, you may get your wish.

Because that is fairly judging him...

joemorrisforprez
09-19-2012, 03:32 PM
Actually, he plays a lot better jamming the WR on the LOS. So did T2 and Im sure Prince would be better off as well. We have physical CBs. We can have a safety over the top. I remember last year when we started pressing more often, we started winning more often and playing beter D overall.

Agreed....he's always been a very good press CB

G.I. Ants
09-19-2012, 03:35 PM
C-Web is right; he, Ross, T2, Prince, & Coe are all bump cover corners and that is their strength. I also believe that you shouldn't not rely solely on your strengths for the entire season because this will allow opponents to exploit your weakness.

dezzzR
09-19-2012, 03:37 PM
Not only that, but Webster needs saftey help as well.

burier
09-19-2012, 03:41 PM

Yeah he's supposed to be great at press coverage. (If he tries to press Steve Smith he'll be eaten alive) How long long has Fewell been the DC? Is this his third season? At some point we have to stop blaming the scheme when that same scheme just won a Super Bowl.

So I know he's supposed to be better at press but...I don't know..If he's playing off and guys are running right by him I don't feel all that comfortable moving him up to press anybody.

nycisgreat
09-19-2012, 03:44 PM

I would agree with that a hundred %. The plays so far off of him man, and still can't keep up those guys when they are blow passed him.

Mercury
09-19-2012, 04:17 PM
When the QB takes a three step drop quick release to try and neutralize our pass rush, bumping the WR at the line disrupts a quick throw. The WR isn't where he should be.

burier
09-19-2012, 04:21 PM
but no one is blaming Corey for not breaking up balls on these three step drops. Its the fact that he's letting guys get behind him.

thomsoad
09-19-2012, 04:31 PM
but no one is blaming Corey for not breaking up balls on these three step drops. Its the fact that he's letting guys get behind him.

Burier im not gonna say Webster has been perfect. But to be honest he is kinda being labled the scapegoat. If you watch that TB game you will notice that Webster was not the guy they were throwing against.

bearbryant
09-19-2012, 04:35 PM
Again, the way these refs are calling the games, you need to play rough, tuff, physical football every play. Not only CB's need to jam and hold and forget about the way the refs were calling games but every guy out there has to play physical football. Its one of the reasons why Dallas beat us. Unless we take advantage of it the other team will. Wake up Coaches, the new sherrifs in town are calling 'em differently these days.

Manning
09-19-2012, 04:38 PM
I don't understand why corner don't play up at the line most of the time. Yes you are susceptible to a big play, but there are lot of pros. First it disrupts the timing of the routes which leads to more time for the pass rush to get to the QB most of the time. It gets rid of those quick screens that gains 5-10 yards when a corner is playing 10 yards off. It really stops those almost unstoppable 3 step slant routes that usually end up killing us.

thomsoad
09-19-2012, 04:53 PM
Its one of the reasons why Dallas beat us. Unless we take advantage of it the other team will. Wake up Coaches, the new sherrifs in town are calling 'em differently these days.

Actually if you were judge the Dallas/Seattle game its pretty much the SOLE reason why they beat us. Cowboys couldnt score more then 7 points off em.

burier
09-19-2012, 04:59 PM
Burier im not gonna say Webster has been perfect. But to be honest he is kinda being labled the scapegoat. If you watch that TB game you will notice that Webster was not the guy they were throwing against.

I agree with you. He's getting scapegoated a little but that has to do mostly with the romantisizing that has been going on over the years about his level of play. When people are trying to call you a "Lockdown" (Not exactly sure of what the difference between a shutdown and lockdown is but according to some on this board its difference between Corey Webster and Darrelle Revis) then you better not get caught with guys running bye you.

But he didn't really jump out as a problem against Tampa honestly and in general I tend to be harder on the Dline since they're the ones who are supposed to be unblockable.