PDA

View Full Version : Not That Many Balls To Go Around

G.I. Ants
09-19-2012, 04:05 PM
I notice the consistent hate that Barden & Jernigen receives from some board members and I wonder why so many people complain. The giants have always been a run first team, but the decline of the running game along with the emergence of Eli'te Manning, many fans on the board desperately want to see this team become a pass first high octane offense. This leads to people talking down on the 4&5 receivers on the depth chart. Now mind you, big blue features 2 of the most dynamic receivers in the league today with NIcks & Cruz, and yet people still act as if the 4th & 5th string receivers are big letdowns. The starters wideouts combined for 378 yards against the Bucs setting milestones. Bennent also had a nice game with 5 catches for 74 yards. With 26 receptions between the 3, they captured the bulk of of the 510 passing yard from Eli.

Now my question is what does JJ12 have to do to get some love on this board. It is only his what, the beginning of his second year in the NFL. He has not received an opportunity to shine on this level. Barden is finally starting a season healthy and made a reception Sunday against the bucs. I remember Cruz being thrown under the bus before that breakout game against the Eagles. He stepped up when MM82 was hurt, and when Mario came back, they had the 3 headed monster thing going on to help win it all.

There aren't that many balls to go around for everybody.

burier
09-19-2012, 04:11 PM
I notice the consistent hate that Barden & Jernigen receives from some board members and I wonder why so many people complain. The giants have always been a run first team, but the decline of the running game along with the emergence of Eli'te Manning, many fans on the board desperately want to see this team become a pass first high octane offense. This leads to people talking down on the 4&5 receivers on the depth chart. Now mind you, big blue features 2 of the most dynamic receivers in the league today with NIcks & Cruz, and yet people still act as if the 4th & 5th string receivers are big letdowns. The starters wideouts combined for 378 yards against the Bucs setting milestones. Bennent also had a nice game with 5 catches for 74 yards. With 26 receptions between the 3, they captured the bulk of of the 510 passing yard from Eli.

Now my question is what does JJ12 have to do to get some love on this board. It is only his what, the beginning of his second year in the NFL. He has not received an opportunity to shine on this level. Barden is finally starting a season healthy and made a reception Sunday against the bucs. I remember Cruz being thrown under the bus before that breakout game against the Eagles. He stepped up when MM82 was hurt, and when Mario came back, they had the 3 headed monster thing going on to help win it all.

MMm...not quite sure what you're talking about. You want accolades for players who haven't earned any?

You mentioned Cruz so you are familiar with how this works. Cruz had a great preseason game then was IRed and pretty much no one had anything to say about him until he started doing something.

Barden has had his opportunities and no one cares if you're injured. Once he does something everyone will love him.

Same thing with JJ. I mean we're all pulling for him. No one is hating him its just he hasn't done anything. When he does there'll be 100 threads about how great he is.

G.I. Ants
09-19-2012, 04:18 PM
MMm...not quite sure what you're talking about. You want accolades for players who haven't earned any?

You mentioned Cruz so you are familiar with how this works. Cruz had a great preseason game then was IRed and pretty much no one had anything to say about him until he started doing something.

Barden has had his opportunities and no one cares if you're injured. Once he does something everyone will love him.

Same thing with JJ. I mean we're all pulling for him. No one is hating him its just he hasn't done anything. When he does there'll be 100 threads about how great he is.I'm not wanting accolades, I am stating how people bash the players who have not yet earned an opportunity. You are not one of them, but there are people on this board who bash JJ as if he is a bust.

BigBluePoint
09-19-2012, 04:33 PM
I totally agree with you. Barden and JJ have NOT gotten their chance to shine yet. Look at Andre Brown. Many on this board wanted him cut, but he got the chance to show what he's made of on Sunday. We all know in every walk of life...you can't prove yourself unless you get a chance. I think both these players will step up given the opportunity. So will David Wilson before too long.

giantsfan420
09-19-2012, 04:44 PM
yeah i dunno why the vitriol for barden is as high as it is considering he's contributing and healthy. i've seen ppl say he cannot get open at all and i have to wonder what they were watching on the two targets he had vs TB when he got completely wide open.

Nicks n Cruz are gonna always be the first 2 options (almost always) then bennett etc. this will be bardens best shot yet and i bet he has a good game. hes got mre work with eli this preseason and season than the rest of his career combined

fansince69
09-19-2012, 04:47 PM
I'm not wanting accolades, I am stating how people bash the players who have not yet earned an opportunity. You are not one of them, but there are people on this board who bash JJ as if he is a bust.

Not me.... I have been an ardent defender of JJ...Have to admit I defended Baden his first couple years....you can't prove anything if you don't get the chance...when you have people of the caliber that the giants have....there won't be many chances...Unfortunately.....too many people mistake not given a chance with.... he sucks

river555
09-19-2012, 06:33 PM
still too early to judge JJ. But this is Barden 4th season and he hasnt done anything. He now has a real shot and hopefully he has a great game which will propel him to having a good season.

slipknottin
09-19-2012, 06:41 PM
Barden has had 4 years, he has played hundreds of snaps. He has done absolutely nothing.

Jernigan is a different scenario, he was a utility player in college, did not know how to run routes, and he did not have an offseason his rookie year either.

If in 3-4 years Jernigan still has not done anything, then I will not think he has potential either

DownWitJPP
09-19-2012, 06:49 PM
Barden has had 4 years, he has played hundreds of snaps. He has done absolutely nothing.

Jernigan is a different scenario, he was a utility player in college, did not know how to run routes, and he did not have an offseason his rookie year either.

If in 3-4 years Jernigan still has not done anything, then I will not think he has potential either

couldn't agree more, these guys act as if Jernigan has been here for 3 years and has shown nothing. The kid had no off-season program last year and a shortened training camp. The kid hasn't even had a chance to showcase his skills yet, I think he was thrown the ball twice all last year. This Kid is dangerous with the ball in his hands, he fast and shifty like DJAX. If after 2 or 3 years he shows nothing I will gladly eat crow.

The problem is Jernigan was drafted to play the slot before we knew we had a great slot WR in Cruz.

KidA
09-19-2012, 06:52 PM
I was sure this was a Harooni thread when I first saw the title.

fansince69
09-19-2012, 06:54 PM
couldn't agree more, these guys act as if Jernigan has been here for 3 years and has shown nothing. The kid had no off-season program last year and a shortened training camp. The kid hasn't even had a chance to showcase his skills yet, I think he was thrown the ball twice all last year. This Kid is dangerous with the ball in his hands, he fast and shifty like DJAX. If after 2 or 3 years he shows nothing I will gladly eat crow.

The problem is Jernigan was drafted to play the slot before we knew we had a great slot WR in Cruz.

Ive said this a couple times....the last day the team practiced In Albany...JJ lit that practice up....he is unbelievably quick once the ball is in his hand...he had 7-8 catches that day and one was 60-70 yd TD.....I have a lot of faith that given the chance he is a good player

Captain Chaos
09-20-2012, 04:47 AM
There is a ton of truth regarding the dislike, especially for Barden on this board. Jernigan is another story, he got lots of good press from the media and this board during the preseason; If I remember he was drafted more for his return capability than his receiving. I glad to see that they are going to get a chance, it is now up to them to make their mark!

Rat_bastich
09-20-2012, 05:18 AM
There is a ton of truth regarding the dislike, especially for Barden on this board. Jernigan is another story, he got lots of good press from the media and this board during the preseason; If I remember he was drafted more for his return capability than his receiving. I glad to see that they are going to get a chance, it is now up to them to make their mark!

I think Jernigan was brought in with the hopes of eventually being the slot receiver, but Cruz took it and ran with it and hasn't looked back since. Right now, the coaches and us don't know what we have in Jernigan because it is too early to tell. Barden had the same opportunities that Cruz had but didn't take advantage of them. He now has that chance with all the injuries. It's up to him to see what he can do with that chance. If Randle or Jernigan bypass him in this game then we know where he will stand....

Toadofsteel
09-20-2012, 08:12 AM

This is it right here...

GMan-67
09-20-2012, 08:20 AM
the NFL is passing league now, but to your main point all these guys have reached the highest level of football

i mean, just take the Andre Brown scenario ... he went from long shot injury guy, to long shot guy, to having a few good looking runs against NEs likely to be cut 3rd string players in the 2nd half of the final preseason game, to making a a few nice runs mostly on draws and delays vs. TB, who was playing more pass than run when he entered the game

to now a guy we consider a player and probably rightly so

so, we could easily come out of this game, going hmmm Barden can play, JJ can play and man that rook is going to be a player

i know that's glass full stuff and admittedly im probably rooting for a negative X-ray on Nicks as much as for a W 2nite, but guys emerge all the time

and if an undrafted guy like Cruz can emerge than why not drafted guys like Barden, JJ and/or Randle

Kruunch
09-20-2012, 08:20 AM

The last time the Giants had more run plays than pass plays was in the mid 90s.

JJ needs to make a play to get some respect.

Giant_Chief1976
09-20-2012, 08:40 AM

I think the biggest thing is that while Cruz, Nicks, and Bennett are producing the production drops off substantially after them. Hixon would be a solid #3 if he was ever healthy but JJ and Barden haven't done anything to warrant recognition. Whether it's due to lack of opportunity (JJ) or because of lack of production when given the opportunity (Barden), it is a concern. You get love on the boards when you produce...remember last year when Cruz got no love...now look what happened after a 1500+ yard season. They need to earn it.

Giant_Chief1976
09-20-2012, 08:41 AM

Same thing with JJ. I mean we're all pulling for him. No one is hating him its just he hasn't done anything. When he does there'll be 100 threads about how great he is.

+1

Giant_Chief1976
09-20-2012, 08:43 AM
I'm not wanting accolades, I am stating how people bash the players who have not yet earned an opportunity. You are not one of them, but there are people on this board who bash JJ as if he is a bust.

They bash players that remain on the roster and do not produce. This is his second year so he gets somewhat of a pass for being a rook last season and not doing a thing. This year is different...he didn't do much in preseason and hasn't done anything in practice to warrant him getting more looks...he has been replaced as a KR and a PR by other guys who are producing...including RR who is a rook! He'll get accolades when he deserves it...until then there is going to be doubt.

Giant_Chief1976
09-20-2012, 08:59 AM
Not me.... I have been an ardent defender of JJ...Have to admit I defended Baden his first couple years....you can't prove anything if you don't get the chance...when you have people of the caliber that the giants have....there won't be many chances...Unfortunately.....too many people mistake not given a chance with.... he sucks

I struggle to understand when people say they don't get a chance...Barden is in the last year of a four year deal and has caught 16 balls for 198 yards. You first have to show in practice that you deserve to make the team and get extra reps...then you have to use opportunities in preseason to solidify your position. Barden has done none of that. My honest opinion is that when someone steps up and really performs, they get a shot...look at receivers that have gotten a shot and moved passed Barden since he was drafted. Nicks was drafted the same year as Barden...complete opposites in production. Cruz was undrafted and has almost 9 times the catches as Barden in the last two years. Hixon was brought in the year after he was drafted and even while being hurt a lot has out produced the second coming of Plax. Barden looks the part of a big star receiver but has done nothing to support that vision.

fansince69
09-20-2012, 09:04 AM
I struggle to understand when people say they don't get a chance...Barden is in the last year of a four year deal and has caught 16 balls for 198 yards. You first have to show in practice that you deserve to make the team and get extra reps...then you have to use opportunities in preseason to solidify your position. Barden has done none of that. My honest opinion is that when someone steps up and really performs, they get a shot...look at receivers that have gotten a shot and moved passed Barden since he was drafted. Nicks was drafted the same year as Barden...complete opposites in production. Cruz was undrafted and has almost 9 times the catches as Barden in the last two years. Hixon was brought in the year after he was drafted and even while being hurt a lot has out produced the second coming of Plax. Barden looks the part of a big star receiver but has done nothing to support that vision.

Where in MY point do you see anything about Barden not getting a chance? I was talking about JJ...I said I supported Barden his first couple years...inferring that I have stopped supporting him cause I agree with what you said...he's had chances and done little.

Giant_Chief1976
09-20-2012, 09:11 AM
Where in MY point do you see anything about Barden not getting a chance? I was talking about JJ...I said I supported Barden his first couple years...inferring that I have stopped supporting him cause I agree with what you said...he's had chances and done little.

I understand you were talking about JJ but my point is that he is following in Barden's footsteps...he doesn't do anything in practice or preseason to warrant him stepping into a bigger role...he was given chances to PR and had the fumbles...lost that job and now there is a rook in that spot. He gets a shot once in awhile at KR but isn't consistant. My point was that you agree about Barden after four years and we are in year two for JJ...it seems like deja vu to me...

fansince69
09-20-2012, 09:15 AM
I understand you were talking about JJ but my point is that he is following in Barden's footsteps...he doesn't do anything in practice or preseason to warrant him stepping into a bigger role...he was given chances to PR and had the fumbles...lost that job and now there is a rook in that spot. He gets a shot once in awhile at KR but isn't consistant. My point was that you agree about Barden after four years and we are in year two for JJ...it seems like deja vu to me...

Sorry I saw him light it up at practice in Albany so I am not sure what your saying is accurate...his problem right now is too much talent in front of him...keeping him from a chance

Dwinsballgames
09-20-2012, 09:28 AM
Well, there should be plenty of balls to go around tonight with 2 of our 3 starting WRs out.

Let's see who steps up.

Should be interesting.

RagTime Blue
09-20-2012, 09:30 AM
Manningham did absolutely NOTHING his first year. His second year was mediocre at best also. I think JJ should get a pass at this point in his career, but we want to see him make the most of his opportunities.

He hasn't done much as a returner, and even less as a receiver.