PDA

View Full Version : The decline of Legends

Giants5699
09-20-2012, 06:56 PM
Brady and Peyton really have not been playing well. I've seen Brady declining starting in the middle of last year. Sure he was still one of the best, but he had a noticeable difference in performance and demeanor going into the playoffs. Watching both of them beginning this year, I don't think they will be able to play at an elite level (Peyton may be done) again after this year. When they retire (which I think will happen at the end of next season), it will mark an end of a generation. It kind of makes me sad knowing that this will likely be Eli in 5 years. Fortunately for those respective teams, the Broncos and Patriots have guys they are developing (Mallett and Brock O.). How many years do you think it will be until the Giants draft and begin to groom a successor for Eli?

Tuckit91
09-20-2012, 06:57 PM
Brady and Peyton really have not been playing well. I've seen Brady declining starting in the middle of last year. Sure he was still one of the best, but he had a noticeable difference in performance and demeanor going into the playoffs. Watching both of them beginning this year, I don't think they will be able to play at an elite level (Peyton may be done) again after this year. When they retire (which I think will happen at the end of next season), it will mark an end of a generation. It kind of makes me sad knowing that this will likely be Eli in 5 years. Fortunately for those respective teams, the Broncos and Patriots have guys they are developing (Mallett and Brock O.). How many years do you think it will draft and begin to groom a successor for Eli?

It happens to the best of them!

Morehead State
09-20-2012, 07:10 PM
Brady and Peyton really have not been playing well. I've seen Brady declining starting in the middle of last year. Sure he was still one of the best, but he had a noticeable difference in performance and demeanor going into the playoffs. Watching both of them beginning this year, I don't think they will be able to play at an elite level (Peyton may be done) again after this year. When they retire (which I think will happen at the end of next season), it will mark an end of a generation. It kind of makes me sad knowing that this will likely be Eli in 5 years. Fortunately for those respective teams, the Broncos and Patriots have guys they are developing (Mallett and Brock O.). How many years do you think it will be until the Giants draft and begin to groom a successor for Eli?

Oh you saw it from the middle of last year huh?

Tom Brady in his last 8 games of 2011:

20 TD's, 2 Int's 2532 yards.

That extends for the season at:

40 TD's 4 Int's 5064 yards

How exactly are we defining "decline"? And what is it the you "noticed"?

And Peyton is coming off a neck injury when he had nerve damage that took all the strength from his right arm. It takes a long while to get it back.

In other words....Neither are in decline.

Giants5699
09-20-2012, 07:14 PM
Oh you saw it from the middle of last year huh?

Tom Brady in his last 8 games of 2011:

20 TD's, 2 Int's 2532 yards.

That extends for the season at:

40 TD's 4 Int's 5064 yards

How exactly are we defining "decline"? And what is it the you "noticed"?

And Peyton is coming off a neck injury when he had nerve damage that took all the strength from his right arm. It takes a long while to get it back.

In other words....Neither are in decline.

Just his demeanor. His body language conveys the "I've given almost everything"

fourth&forever
09-20-2012, 07:14 PM
... It kind of makes me sad knowing that this will likely be Eli in 5 years. Fortunately for those respective teams, the Broncos and Patriots have guys they are developing (Mallett and Brock O.). How many years do you think it will be until the Giants draft and begin to groom a successor for Eli?

I believe they will get a serious (1st round) replacement for Eli ONLY when his decline is obvious.

Morehead State
09-20-2012, 07:16 PM
Just his demeanor. His body language conveys the "I've given almost everything"
I live in Mass and watch almost all of his games. There's nothing wrong with his demeanor. The guys is still flat out great.

Morehead State
09-20-2012, 07:18 PM
Oh yeah...and not only did he have immortal production during his supposed decline, he was also 8-0 during that horrific period.

Flip Empty
09-20-2012, 07:26 PM
Brady is fine. His only issues are a bad o-line and a less-than-smooth transition to a new offense.

Giants5699
09-20-2012, 07:26 PM
Oh yeah...and not only did he have immortal production during his supposed decline, he was also 8-0 during that horrific period.

I never said horrific. He played great. It just doesn't look like his head is in the game as much anymore.

Morehead State
09-20-2012, 07:30 PM
I never said horrific. He played great. It just doesn't look like his head is in the game as much anymore.
Based on what? This is completely ridiculous. You don't have that kind of excellence with your "head not in it".
You claimed that his decline started the second have of last season, when in fact the second half of last season may have been either one of the best, or THEE best 8 game stretch in NFL history.
I'm just trying to figure out what your criteria is. Did he slump his shoulders after one of the 2 picks he threw in those 8 games?

TheEnigma
09-20-2012, 07:55 PM
Brady is getting used to playing behind a bad Oline for the first time in forever. It's to be expected for him to perform like this for a few games.

Giants5699
09-20-2012, 08:03 PM
Based on what? This is completely ridiculous. You don't have that kind of excellence with your "head not in it".
You claimed that his decline started the second have of last season, when in fact the second half of last season may have been either one of the best, or THEE best 8 game stretch in NFL history.
I'm just trying to figure out what your criteria is. Did he slump his shoulders after one of the 2 picks he threw in those 8 games?

Just his on field demeanor. To me, it looks like his heart is looking onwards by the way he talks, and the way his emotion has gone down. But you are obviously an expert on all things Brady so I'll just let you keep flexing those internet muscles.

juice33s
09-20-2012, 08:13 PM
Just his on field demeanor. To me, it looks like his heart is looking onwards by the way he talks, and the way his emotion has gone down. But you are obviously an expert on all things Brady so I'll just let you keep flexing those internet muscles.
lol, brady openly stated he wanted to play till he was 40 (http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/52666/how-much-longer-for-tom-brady)

Flip Empty
09-20-2012, 08:19 PM
Watch his demeanour every time he scores a touchdown; watch him pump up his team on the sidelines; watch him become upset when he throws an interception.
He cares.

Morehead State
09-20-2012, 08:22 PM
It doesn't take an "expert" to see how well Brady played during a time that you claim he started his decline.

"The way he talks?....Give me a friggin break!

BluTri10
09-20-2012, 08:30 PM
It's very rare for a player to retire when he's still playing well....AND play for only one team. Even Johnny U played for the Chargers. Perhaps that's what kinda special about Phil Simms...the guy's last year ('93) was one of his best...AND he only played for us....

Eli TO Shockey
09-20-2012, 08:34 PM
The points made by the OP are ridiculous. I dont understand "hes not into it anymore" when hes playing better than 95% of the NFL. Doesnt make any sense whatsoever.

Eli TO Shockey
09-20-2012, 08:36 PM
It doesn't take an "expert" to see how well Brady played during a time that you claim he started his decline.

"The way he talks?....Give me a friggin break!

I suppose he means he doesnt "celebrate" TD's as much as he used to. Bradys reaction after scoring a TD in the superbowl will tell you everything you need to know about where this guys head is at. I dislike the pats, but I respect good players. Brady is not only good, but one of the greatest ever.

Harooni
09-20-2012, 08:40 PM
I believe they will get a serious (1st round) replacement for Eli ONLY when his decline is obvious. Eli is already 31 i believe , he was red shirted played and extra season in college , i still see him as young, but man time flies

TextureDj
09-20-2012, 08:47 PM
when I read the title I thought this thread would be about Tuck and Osi. I was still going to disagree but I could understand why one would think that way.

Then I got in here and read what it was actually about and I cant even legitimize this thread with an actual argument ojn the Brady side, and the only argument Peyton needs is that he was out for an entire season, give him some time.