PDA

View Full Version : Barden the new Burress???

3504spd
09-21-2012, 07:25 AM
Barring any gun accidents. This guy looks faster, has better route running, doesn't give up on plays and doesn't lay down after making a catch over the middle. I like what I saw. Oh yea, he's 6'6" too!!

tonyt830
09-21-2012, 07:28 AM
Barring any gun accidents. This guy looks faster, has better route running, doesn't give up on plays and doesn't lay down after making a catch over the middle. I like what I saw. Oh yea, he's 6'6" too!!I was impressed with him getting some separation last night and making some good catches. I would like to see him get more reps, especially to help spell Nicks when he needs it. I just want to see him stay healthy and be consistent.

yoeddy
09-21-2012, 07:36 AM
Burress uses his height better...

jakegibbs
09-21-2012, 07:42 AM
Barring any gun accidents. This guy looks faster, has better route running, doesn't give up on plays and doesn't lay down after making a catch over the middle. I like what I saw. Oh yea, he's 6'6" too!!

Not so fast. 1 game does not make a career. Let's let it play out for at least 3 years when he becomes a full time starter which he hasn't even won that yet.

Kruunch
09-21-2012, 07:57 AM

He was meant to replace Burress but he doesn't have Burress' speed.

But he looked damn good last night :)

3504spd
09-21-2012, 07:58 AM
Not so fast. 1 game does not make a career. Let's let it play out for at least 3 years when he becomes a full time starter which he hasn't even won that yet.Thus the (???)

BklynBlue
09-21-2012, 08:14 AM
Not so fast. 1 game does not make a career. Let's let it play out for at least 3 years when he becomes a full time starter which he hasn't even won that yet.

True. Although, I was very impressed with Bardens route running. He seemed to be open on every play. At this point, I just want him to be a replacement for Manningham. Having thre goto guys in three WR sets is huge...thats not including Bennett. Could very well be huge headaches for opposing defensive coordinators going forward.

Toadofsteel
09-21-2012, 08:21 AM
True. Although, I was very impressed with Bardens route running. He seemed to be open on every play. At this point, I just want him to be a replacement for Manningham. Having thre goto guys in three WR sets is huge...thats not including Bennett. Could very well be huge headaches for opposing defensive coordinators going forward.

Yeah, this is it right here. He doesn't need to replace Burress, we've got Nicks. He only needs to be able to replace Manningham and we're golden...

WEG313
09-21-2012, 08:29 AM
Yeah, this is it right here. He doesn't need to replace Burress, we've got Nicks. He only needs to be able to replace Manningham and we're golden...

I was NEVER a fan of Manningham (save for his Super Bowl catch). Good route runner and fast, but dropped way too many perfectly thrown passes and hardly ever made a catch on a ball poorly thrown by Eli. Also, he was prone to fumbling after the catch with the way he held the ball. Finally, he was strictly a sideline type wideout (and post pattern), as he did not have the body or toughness to catch balls over the middle. Barden is still a work in progress, but IMO he has far more versatility than Manningham-- he can be used as wideout, slot receiver and even as a TE in a two-TE set.

Mercury
09-21-2012, 08:32 AM
I am happily surprised by Barden's play last night. I have been one of his detractors and I am glad to see him finally contributing. Keep up the good work. (He's not Plaxico 2 yet.)

miked1958
09-21-2012, 09:18 AM
Burress uses his height better...that will come with experience, but did you see that play over the middle that was high and to his left how he went up and stretched for it. awesome. this could be the start of something big

Husky
09-21-2012, 09:27 AM
This group of receivers are a nightmare for a Defense. The depth is impressive.

Moke
09-21-2012, 09:27 AM
I always thought he looked similar to Burress. Honestly think the management actually thinks this too IMO because they really look like they are trying to use him the same way.

njg85m
09-21-2012, 09:28 AM
I absolutely love how angry he looked after each catch last night. He was all business and knew that he had something to prove.

I think as fans sometimes we forget that when a player is a disappointment they are a lot angrier about it than we are.

CDN_G-FAN
09-21-2012, 09:33 AM

he's not faster, he's not a better route runner at all, i don't mind anyone protecting themselves when they go over the middle for a catch.

so far barden had a good game, and probably doesn't wear sweat pants to night clubs. Which is good enough for now.

nygon3
09-21-2012, 09:42 AM
He said this was going to be his year and injuries have given him his opportunity. He grasped it and spanked that opportunity last night totaling as many catches in all of last season in one game and looking like the player we all were hoping he would turn out to be. I prayed we drafted him and we did, but he did nothing for three years. I pray this is a consistent thing and he only gets better. I like the route running but definitely doesn't box out kb's like burress did.

titwio
09-21-2012, 09:42 AM
Burress was a deep threat on this team and ran great routes. I can only hope Barden can come close to what Burress was for the Giants. If he's just 70% of Plax...I'd feel bad for other teams DB's having to cover these Giants wide-outs.

On second thought...I wouldn't feel too bad at all.

ryan12
09-21-2012, 09:51 AM
he def was a supposed to be our "next" plax i dont care about the past and how he hasnt done **** the kid looked good last night and i hope he keeps it rolling

WEG313
09-21-2012, 09:56 AM
Burress was a deep threat on this team and ran great routes. I can only hope Barden can come close to what Burress was for the Giants. If he's just 70% of Plax...I'd feel bad for other teams DB's having to cover these Giants wide-outs.

On second thought...I wouldn't feel too bad at all.

Again, I think (as with Manningham) this is an unfair comparison. I already like Barden better than Manningham. As for Plax, he was a bit faster (but by no means a speedster) and an excellent route runner, BUT (as was the case with Manningham) shied away from coming across the middle of the field on short to intermediate patterns. Barden, if he continues to progress, provides far more versatility. He was running patterns last night that Boss and Shockey used to run; the 15+-yard play across the middle, just behind the linebackers. Burress was NEVER used on such patterns.

IMO, in the current lineup of wideouts, Nicks plays the Burress role...Cruz plays the Steve Smith role (but with the potential to break an out on a go pattern after he establishes himself as the slot guy, just as he did against the Bucs on the 80-yard TD in the 4th Quarter)....and Barden plays the jack-of-all-trades, though my guess is he will be used more running patterns that other teams use their pass-catching TEs for (e.g., Witten, Davis, Gates, Gonzalez). Opposing teams simply cannot double up anyone when you've got Nicks, Cruz, Barden and Bennett all on the field at the same time.

giantsfan420
09-21-2012, 09:57 AM
thats just not true. 17 was a beast vertically and across the middle.

agree with ur 2nd part tho. and with those 4 passing options, AND a legit running game, i dont see how anyone stops us but ourselves

GMan-67
09-21-2012, 10:21 AM
let's hope not ... he seems like a good kid

titwio
09-21-2012, 10:29 AM
Again, I think (as with Manningham) this is an unfair comparison. I already like Barden better than Manningham. As for Plax, he was a bit faster (but by no means a speedster) and an excellent route runner, BUT (as was the case with Manningham) shied away from coming across the middle of the field on short to intermediate patterns. Barden, if he continues to progress, provides far more versatility. He was running patterns last night that Boss and Shockey used to run; the 15+-yard play across the middle, just behind the linebackers. Burress was NEVER used on such patterns.

IMO, in the current lineup of wideouts, Nicks plays the Burress role...Cruz plays the Steve Smith role (but with the potential to break an out on a go pattern after he establishes himself as the slot guy, just as he did against the Bucs on the 80-yard TD in the 4th Quarter)....and Barden plays the jack-of-all-trades, though my guess is he will be used more running patterns that other teams use their pass-catching TEs for (e.g., Witten, Davis, Gates, Gonzalez). Opposing teams simply cannot double up anyone when you've got Nicks, Cruz, Barden and Bennett all on the field at the same time.

Eli said it yesterday that Barden could line up out wide or as a TE....Just from listening to him say that, I see the Giants using him in the Travis Beckum role for this team going forward. (I can see Beckum getting cut not too long from now) Getting him on the field on mismatches against safeties and LB's and being that hybrid H-back TE/WR. It's actually a great role for him and an upgrade over Beckum who wasn't used to block anyway.

He doesn't fit that 3rd receiver role which better suits Hixon and Randle who can get deep and stretch the field.... Those two will likely be groomed for that role over him, but I do like him being that guy who can work the seems, slants and fade routes.

PRGiant
09-21-2012, 10:50 AM
Plax was faster when he got here but by the Superbowl year he was jogging out there. He was awesome getting position on the DBs thought...

njg85m
09-21-2012, 11:11 AM
Plax was faster when he got here but by the Superbowl year he was jogging out there. He was awesome getting position on the DBs thought...

Nothing for nothing but wasn't Plax playing with pretty much a broken ankle the entire year?

Yes I'm exaggerating a bit, but I can't hate on Plax considering he could barely walk and was still consistently productive.

GMAN2K9
09-21-2012, 11:15 AM
Eli said it yesterday that Barden could line up out wide or as a TE....Just from listening to him say that, I see the Giants using him in the Travis Beckum role for this team going forward. (I can see Beckum getting cut not too long from now) Getting him on the field on mismatches against safeties and LB's and being that hybrid H-back TE/WR. It's actually a great role for him and an upgrade over Beckum who wasn't used to block anyway.

He doesn't fit that 3rd receiver role which better suits Hixon and Randle who can get deep and stretch the field.... Those two will likely be groomed for that role over him, but I do like him being that guy who can work the seems, slants and fade routes.

I like your idea. I also really like what they did moving Cruz to the slot on 3rd WR sets... when Nicks is back next week they should have him and Barden on outside with Cruz in the slot... spell Barden with Hixon every once in awhile to stretch the field.

Barden is a size mismatch and i loved the way the way he was blocking out with his body as passes were coming in. If he can do that consistenly, it wont matter if he going against a scrub rookie or quality corner, he will make plays for this offense... especially when defenses are rolling coverage to blanket Nicks and/or Cruz

B&RWarrior
09-21-2012, 11:16 AM
Barden in no way shape or form at any level is better than Plax. He's not better than MM either. MM was the most explosive receiver we've had off the line, but his route running was mediocre. Barden is showing the potential I thought he had and to be fair he didn't dissappoint with his play he just couldn't stay healthy. I told this board on many posts that he would be our #3 WR this year if he could stay healthy and that's what happened. Randle might have more potential but the coaching staff rewards performance not potential and Ramses just came up big when it mattered. With Bennet playign like he is this receiving core is every bit as deadly as last year's. We can contend for another ring.

All those that thought I was fool, what have you to say now? Black Madden was right again. LOL!

80and88
09-21-2012, 11:39 AM
I was NEVER a fan of Manningham (save for his Super Bowl catch). Good route runner and fast, but dropped way too many perfectly thrown passes and hardly ever made a catch on a ball poorly thrown by Eli. Also, he was prone to fumbling after the catch with the way he held the ball. Finally, he was strictly a sideline type wideout (and post pattern), as he did not have the body or toughness to catch balls over the middle. Barden is still a work in progress, but IMO he has far more versatility than Manningham-- he can be used as wideout, slot receiver and even as a TE in a two-TE set.

Mario was a horrible route runner. Half the routes he ran, he ran them right out of bounds, and I'm a fan of Mario. But his route running was his achilles heal by far.

YATittle1962
09-21-2012, 11:54 AM

Barden played well last night...and I am extremely happy for him

but they were rolling so much coverage to Cruz that Eli could have played receiver and been open

Rivera admitted it .....he said they were paying too much attention to Cruz and other guys were running free

not to mention a rookie was covering him

so as happy as I am about the game he had last night.....and as much as I hope he keeps it up......lets not go comparing him to Burress just yet

Giant_Chief1976
09-21-2012, 11:55 AM

+1

GMENAGAIN
Why is the "let's wait and see" approach so hated on this MB? Either we are calling the guy a piece of garbage bust or annointing him as the next Jerry Rice after one good game in 4 years.

We all liked what we saw last night. Let's hope he can build off that and become a consistent contributor for us.

Giant_Chief1976
Barden played well last night...and I am extremely happy for him

but they were rolling so much coverage to Cruz that Eli could have played receiver and been open

Rivera admitted it .....he said they were paying too much attention to Cruz and other guys were running free

not to mention a rookie was covering him

so as happy as I am about the game he had last night.....and as much as I hope he keeps it up......lets not go comparing him to Burress just yet

+1 Cound't have said it better!

NorwoodBlue
09-21-2012, 11:56 AM
As a third receiver taking throws from Eli, he should continue to be productive. The biggest part of his night last night was that he showed Eli he was able to get open, and he'd catch the ball. Eli will get him more balls now that he has some confidence in him. This could be the break Barden has needed in his career for a couple years now.

I'd like to see more of Reuben Randle too; but it's hard to get all these guys on the field. Of course that depth really helps when we have to endure free agent losses during the off season. Does anyone remember a guy named Manningham?

egyptian420
09-21-2012, 11:58 AM
Lol...Huge props to Barden, he definitely held his own and put in work. Their defense probably didn't even game plan for this guy at all. It seemed as if Cruz was the only WR they knew by name lol

3504spd
09-22-2012, 12:02 AM
I said he looks faster. Whether or not he is I can't say. He hasn't had a chance to go deep and really see. I was really asking could he be used by this team the way Plax was?

Breezely
09-22-2012, 12:27 AM
I like the hands. . . . . .basketball player. . . .attitude . . . . and the name, RAMSES!!!!!!!!!!!

Captain Chaos
09-22-2012, 07:07 AM
I'm going to temper my expectations for him, was glad that he came out and had a good game. However, I am just cautiously optimistic that he will be able to come up big again when we need him.

penguinfarmer
09-22-2012, 07:17 AM
I've always been a detractor since he was drafted, though I have also been simultaneously begging for him to prove me wrong.

I still won't put too much stock on him yet after this game, but I have been noticing some changes for the better from him since this preseason. Panthers were playing him soft this entire game. I still question his ability to truly separate on his routes, but that's unlikely to change dramatically. Rather, he needed to evolve and develop some wrinkles where he can at least put himself in position to utilize that enormous catch radius of his a la Burress. I think he's been showing that so far that we just haven't seen in prior seasons. But yes, there is now room for some optimism.

OX1
09-22-2012, 07:44 AM
Burress uses his height better...

Yeah, I think burress would have had that corner fade.
He would have muscled out the corner..........

But that can be learned............

JesseJames
09-22-2012, 10:52 AM
Plax was a better receiver than Barden only because he had better coaching all through his college career than Barden who played at a lower level school and thats the reason he has taken so long to develop, but it looks like he's here now...

Breezely
09-22-2012, 11:18 AM
Remember, he played in spots last year and was productive.

Overdrive92
10-01-2012, 01:07 AM
After tonight, let's re-evaluate this question.

miked1958
10-01-2012, 01:09 AM
Barden had no chance on that throw. Namandi had a pick. Barden did what he had to to prevent it

miked1958
10-01-2012, 01:11 AM
Ball shouldnt have been thrown at all, period!! But if u are going to throw it,then throw it to the outside wher only he can get it

Joe Morrison
10-01-2012, 01:13 AM
I'll take that decision Barden made all day rather than give up an INT, don't know what you people are thinking.

BlueSanta
10-01-2012, 01:18 AM
During his tenure with us, Plax was virtually impossible to cover in press coverage. Barden, on the other hand, striggles a little with it. Obviously he has time to improve, but I still dont think he is as fast as Plax was in his day.

CDN_G-FAN
10-01-2012, 06:41 AM
After tonight, let's re-evaluate this question.

it should never have been a question in the first place.

the kid had one game, and still has had only one game.

i like him, but might as well call him Jerry Rice too based on one game, why stop at Plax.

GMENAGAIN
10-01-2012, 06:52 AM
Exactly. The threads last week about Brown and Barden were ridiculous. There seems to me no middle ground on this MB . . . . . a guy is either a bust or a HOF'er. A "let's wait and see" approach has no place here . . . .

That being said, Barden is still an inexperienced player and he made a mistake that cost us a game. Cruz did the same thing last year, except he got bailed out by the refs.

yoeddy
10-01-2012, 08:22 AM
Barden had no chance on that throw. Namandi had a pick. Barden did what he had to to prevent it

Plaxico makes that catch, no question...

Moke
10-01-2012, 08:22 AM

So many IFs on that, I'm just dying of laughter. no offense

yoeddy
10-01-2012, 08:23 AM
So many IFs on that, I'm just dying of laughter. no offense

Plax had the Eagles' number...no IFs at all...

RoanokeFan
10-01-2012, 08:26 AM

Now we're just being silly

Redeyejedi
10-01-2012, 08:27 AM
If thats Nicks running down the sideline u throw that ball but not 2 Barden. Eli should of thrown that ball away. Very bad decision and it cost the Giants the game

yoeddy
10-01-2012, 08:28 AM
Now we're just being silly

Just sticking with the theme of the thread...

RoanokeFan
10-01-2012, 08:30 AM
Just sticking with the theme of the thread...

The silly part is guaranteeing anyone else would have caught that ball.

RoanokeFan
10-01-2012, 08:34 AM
If thats Nicks running down the sideline u throw that ball but not 2 Barden. Eli should of thrown that ball away. Very bad decision and it cost the Giants the game

Before the game, many had Barden on the fast track to greatness based on his game against the Panthers was now the # 3 receiver. And, when someone tried to show, play by play, how Barden was able to have those spectacular numbers in the Panthers' game he was ridiculed for being a "hater."

miked1958
10-01-2012, 08:50 AM
it should never have been a question in the first place.

the kid had one game, and still has had only one game.

i like him, but might as well call him Jerry Rice too based on one game, why stop at Plax.right. first of all you just dont throw long in that situation. we are already well within tynes range at 44 yards. and if you think you can catch philly sleeping again you go to a guy with the most experience which is cruz. percentages say just run it into the line again and pick up maybe 2 or 3 more yards and kick the winning FG and go home.

GMENAGAIN
10-01-2012, 09:00 AM
What a ridiculous statement.

yoeddy
10-01-2012, 09:35 AM
The silly part is guaranteeing anyone else would have caught that ball.

I thought it was just as silly as calli Barden "the new Burress"...

yoeddy
10-01-2012, 09:35 AM
What a ridiculous statement.

You are all very serious today...

CDN_G-FAN
10-01-2012, 09:39 AM
right. first of all you just dont throw long in that situation. we are already well within tynes range at 44 yards. and if you think you can catch philly sleeping again you go to a guy with the most experience which is cruz. percentages say just run it into the line again and pick up maybe 2 or 3 more yards and kick the winning FG and go home.

he was in single coverage with a step, he's probably in single coverage because the eagles have most of their coverage short and wide while doubling cruz, which is what any of us would do if we were calling the defense.

to think Eli had another option that he chose not to take in favour of Barden is overly simplistic.

We'd all pick Cruz over Barden to make a play in that situation, but i doubt he was in single coverage.

JJC7301
10-01-2012, 09:41 AM
Barden's looking good. When Nicks comes back, if he ever does, I want Barden getting the # 3 spot.

RoanokeFan
10-01-2012, 10:40 AM
I thought it was just as silly as calli Barden "the new Burress"...

No argument there, that's why I said "greatness"

RoanokeFan
10-01-2012, 10:42 AM
Barden's looking good. When Nicks comes back, if he ever does, I want Barden getting the # 3 spot.

Seriously?

AGiantDynasty
10-01-2012, 11:55 AM
He doesnt have the speed or body control to be the next Burress.

The next Ramses Barden is more like it.

CowboysSuck
10-01-2012, 11:58 AM
Burress was dominant with us. I wonder why he didn't get a job this year? He has got to be better than some of the #2 wideouts out there...