PDA

View Full Version : Regarding last night's announcers...

GCGiant
09-21-2012, 10:12 AM
Didn't it seem like that one guy, May**** or whatever his name was, wanted the Panthers to win pretty bad?

TroyArcher
09-21-2012, 10:14 AM
He is an ex-Giant

Husky
09-21-2012, 10:15 AM
I actually like his inciteful analysis. He knows his X's and O's

ELIte4MVP
09-21-2012, 10:16 AM
mayock is actually a pretty big giants guy. he's a scout though so he gets excited about prototypical players (cam newton, jon beason, luke keuchly, etc) so that's probably what you took as bias

Ruttiger711
09-21-2012, 10:18 AM
Nope - Mayock is a fantastic commentator IMO. My only knock on him is sometimes he goes into his "draft analysis" mode which is great for player evaluation but sometimes too much during an NFL game.

Kruunch
09-21-2012, 10:19 AM
As said, Mayock tends to be one of the more inciteful announcers.

Listening to a guy like Chris Collinsworth makes me want to punch a nun.

CDN_G-FAN
09-21-2012, 10:20 AM
i really liked the announcers.

talked about technique and plays alot more than these other talking heads do.

really liked it. i'll tune into thursday games just to listen to that kinda thing.

just like i watch monday night games without sound. same reason, just the other end of the spectrum.

Buddy333
09-21-2012, 10:21 AM
Mayock is the best. I wish they could have him call more of their games. Papa is very good too.

TheEnigma
09-21-2012, 10:23 AM
Mayock isn't there to kiss Giants butt. As others have pointed out, his strength is his draft prospect evaluations and because of this, he usually has a pretty detailed profile on majority of the players in the league.

Much better than Gruden who just gives everyone praise all the time.

Kruunch
09-21-2012, 10:23 AM
Mayock is the best. I wish they could have him call more of their games. Papa is very good too.

I have a total bromance going on with Papa ... easily my favorite announcer (including non-Giants stuff).

FBomb
09-21-2012, 10:24 AM
I thought the commentary was a breathe of fresh air compared to the sound of Buck trying get in Troy's pants.

GMan-67
they were BOOO-RING i didnt find them to be too disrespectful ... nothing like Joe Buck, but still BORING !

FBomb
I have a total bromance going on with Papa ... easily my favorite announcer (including non-Giants stuff).

This...Papa is the man!

Kruunch
09-21-2012, 10:25 AM
Mayock isn't there to kiss Giants butt. As others have pointed out, his strength is his draft prospect evaluations and because of this, he usually has a pretty detailed profile on majority of the players in the league.

Much better than Gruden who just gives everyone praise all the time.

I can't stand Gruden ... while smart and obviously does his homework his over stating is like listening to a Taliban State of the Union speech.

Kruunch
09-21-2012, 10:25 AM
they were BOOO-RING i didnt find them to be too disrespectful ... nothing like Joe Buck, but still BORING !

I agree ... Mayock definitely needs a good color guy next to him.

bELIeve_in_Giants
09-21-2012, 10:26 AM
I liked them. I think they were hoping for a better game though. That's understandable - have to give viewers a reason to stay tuned.

TheAnalyst
09-21-2012, 10:27 AM
Big big Mayock fan. He probably is the best announcer doing NFL games, or up there anyway. I believe he felt bad for the Panthers and wanted a closer game for ratings, thats why it sounded a bit pro Panther.

TheEnigma
09-21-2012, 10:33 AM
O'hara has done some nick work on NFL Network with some analysis when it comes to upcoming games. I'd love to see him get a shot as an announcer.

zimonami
09-21-2012, 10:44 AM
As said, Mayock tends to be one of the more inciteful announcers.

Listening to a guy like Chris Collinsworth makes me want to punch a nun.
I knew a nun that could kick your butt, and everyone on here. I saw her in action, back in 1959, and she was awesome.

Giant in Texas
09-21-2012, 10:52 AM
+1 on Collinsworth he is a too! Over-rated as a player and he thinks he knows today's game...whata joke. But at least he is not as bad as Chucky, that guy praises anyone that just made the last play. He is a mental midget!

JesseJames
09-21-2012, 10:57 AM
I haven't had the sound on for a MNF game in years, I can't stand Michaels or Collinsworth

BlueJayC
09-21-2012, 11:03 AM
Big big Mayock fan. He probably is the best announcer doing NFL games, or up there anyway. I believe he felt bad for the Panthers and wanted a closer game for ratings, thats why it sounded a bit pro Panther.

+1 .....dead on......though it seemed like they were pulling for the Panthers they were just trying to retain viewers for the ***-whoopin that was taking place......the non-Giant/non-Panther fans probably flipped away early.....

These guys were grasping at straws......"Well that only makes it a 19 possession game.....5 FG's 4 TD's and 7 2-Point conversions and the Panthers are right back in this one folks......so stay tuned....."

thomsoad
09-21-2012, 11:30 AM
mayock is actually a pretty big giants guy. he's a scout though so he gets excited about prototypical players (cam newton, jon beason, luke keuchly, etc) so that's probably what you took as bias

I agree. Mayock is by far the best analyst when it comes to the draftees. Him and that other he worx with (cant remember his name). I pay attention to those two more then anyoe on ESPN.

YATittle1962
09-21-2012, 11:57 AM
Didn't it seem like that one guy, May**** or whatever his name was, wanted the Panthers to win pretty bad?

Mike Mayock is an ex Gaint and loves the organization

I heard him say nothing that would hint to what you are suggesting

he is not only one of the best color men and stat guys...but in my opinion he is the best NFL analyst there is

GCGiant
09-21-2012, 12:04 PM
Mike Mayock is an ex Gaint and loves the organization

I heard him say nothing that would hint to what you are suggesting

he is not only one of the best color men and stat guys...but in my opinion he is the best NFL analyst there is

Well...I didn't just pull it out of thin air, and from some previous comments, there are those who agree. It just seemed he was so happy when Cam did something good and was not as excited about what the Giants were doing. My wife was calling him a creep and I didn't have anything to do with her comments. I guess people just see and hear things differently sometimes.

Ruttiger711
09-21-2012, 12:10 PM
Well...I didn't just pull it out of thin air, and from some previous comments, there are those who agree. It just seemed he was so happy when Cam did something good and was not as excited about what the Giants were doing. My wife was calling him a creep and I didn't have anything to do with her comments. I guess people just see and hear things differently sometimes.

A creep? wow - seriously he's about as impartial as it comes and has a genuine love for good football. Just my opinion but anyone who thinks he was pulling for Carolina is really reaching...

I think this may be an issue of actually having a game with nothing to complain about ... have to find something.

BlueJayC
09-21-2012, 12:12 PM
A creep? wow - seriously he's about as impartial as it comes and has a genuine love for good football. Just my opinion but anyone who thinks he was pulling for Carolina is really reaching...

I think this may be an issue of actually having a game with nothing to complain about ... have to find something.

To be honest my sister was saying the same thing.......maybe it's just women.

He was impartial....they both were but they were trying to make it seem like a game again to keep viewers......so whenever Carolina had a positive play they were all over almost like a "okay here we go....." not rooting for the Panthers but rather wanting the game to be more competitive.

TheEnigma
09-21-2012, 12:15 PM

You have to see it from Mayock's POV. His main job first and foremost is watching tape on college prospects, making mock drafts, and then trying to predict which schemes they fit in the best. Considering that the Giants have more established starters while the Panthers are a younger team, it's natural for him to show more interest on an individual level for the Panthers players who have a bunch of young starters who are developing as they play.

In regards to the QBs, Eli is Eli. Not much is going to change with his playing style nor will he evolve into a different type of passer. Newton was one of the most controversial QBs to ever come out of a draft and if you followed the 2011 draft any, you would of seen Mayock dissing the heck out of not only his playing style but his character as well. Mayock is definitely not a Newton lover lol.

Plus if you get a chance, go to NFL.com and look up the draft history of what Mayock says for our players. More than half of his breakdowns for our selections involves "going to a great organization, Coughlin is awesome, etc."

Ruttiger711
09-21-2012, 12:19 PM

He was impartial....they both were but they were trying to make it seem like a game again to keep viewers......so whenever Carolina had a positive play they were all over almost like a "okay here we go....." not rooting for the Panthers but rather wanting the game to be more competitive.

well i think i know what you mean - carolinal FINALLY was able to string a few play together, get a little rhythm... and showed some signs of being productive. That option offense did GREAT last week... and against a certain DC were all famiiliar with.

I definitely know what part of commentary youre referrnig to... still dont think it was rooting for Carolina as much as thinking out loud that their offense may be finally getting it together.

CDN_G-FAN
09-21-2012, 12:19 PM

+1

he can't go on and on about how over the game is, they have to try and keep viewers for as long as possible.

this was about as even a game call as i've heard. no surprise most of us think that on a giants blow-out.

guys that think he was pro carolina, i just don't understand how anyone could have that opinion.

burier
09-21-2012, 12:23 PM
i really liked the announcers.

talked about technique and plays alot more than these other talking heads do.

really liked it. i'll tune into thursday games just to listen to that kinda thing.

just like i watch monday night games without sound. same reason, just the other end of the spectrum.

you really watch games without sound?

ryan12
09-21-2012, 12:26 PM

papa is great so enthuiastic

TrueBlue@NYC
09-21-2012, 12:31 PM
I love the thursday night announcers. Mayock is the best commentator out there because he actually goes into the little things on why a play did or didn't work technique wise. He understands that people watching TNF are your more harcore fans and they want that stuff.

Collinsworth used to be a pretty good commentator but he's become a complete tool. Gruden knows his stuff but his "This guy right here, this guy might be the best at ____________ that I've seen" is really out there. My friends and I actually make fun of him throughout much of the MNF broadcasts because he's so over the top with how he presents players.

CDN_G-FAN
09-21-2012, 12:34 PM
you really watch games without sound?

i can usually make it to the middle of the 2nd quarter, then it's on mute. Seriously. My wife thinks i'm nuts, but i literally can't stand it.

more so with chuckie jaws and tico. i don't hate on collingsworth like so many guys here do.

Easy E.
09-21-2012, 12:36 PM
Mayock is smart but boringggg.

Toadofsteel
09-21-2012, 12:40 PM
Only TV announcer I can't stand is Collinsworth. Mayock did excellent last night. Buck I don't mind as much as long as I don't see him on the screen. Kenny Albert is awesome. Even Al Michaels... if he didn't have to be partnered with Collinsworth, he'd be the god of sportscasting at this point...

YATittle1962
09-21-2012, 12:42 PM
Mayock is smart but boringggg.

he is an analyst ....a stat guy

what is he supposed to do be Frank Caliendo while breaking down a play and do an impression of Charles Barkley or something ?

my goodness

Toadofsteel
09-21-2012, 12:43 PM
he is an analyst ....a stat guy

what is he supposed to do be Frank Caliendo while breaking down a play and do an impression of Charles Barkley or something ?

my goodness

That's just turrible...

burier
09-21-2012, 12:46 PM
i can usually make it to the middle of the 2nd quarter, then it's on mute. Seriously. My wife thinks i'm nuts, but i literally can't stand it.

more so with chuckie jaws and tico. i don't hate on collingsworth like so many guys here do.

I hear you about Jaw's crew. But I don't think I could watch the game on mute thought I must admit I've never tried.

But if you want to get really annoyed watch a Giants Pats preseason game in Boston with the the Pats Homer announce team. Its *****in!

Rusty192
09-21-2012, 12:55 PM
When I saw that Mayock was commenting on this game I was excited. I dont think he was to partial to the Panthers because while we were blowing them out he was saying how they needed to step up and stop sulking about how the game wasnt going their way.

One thing that rubbed me the wrong way though was when he mentioned "The bad Eli" not once, but twice. wth? We know you are trying to be non-bias or whatever Mike, but give it a rest!

I Bleed Blue 56
09-21-2012, 01:23 PM
Whatever happened to Bob Papa doing thursdaynight football?

RagTime Blue
09-21-2012, 02:08 PM
I liked Mayock's analysis, but he's one of those guys who's not "Play-By-Play", and not "Color". "Color" implies entertaining. . .my mind goes to Madden as an example (although he could break down games for the fan too). They may need a third guy there. . .maybe a comedian. . . j/k

I think the problem with Mayock that people don't realize is his voice. He has a whiny-nasally pitch that sounds grating when you're not paying close attention to it. . .very un-football-ish.

I kept thinking I was listening to a Bob's Furniture commercial.

Still I hope they stick with him. .. he's fantastic!

RoanokeFan
09-21-2012, 02:10 PM
Nope - Mayock is a fantastic commentator IMO. My only knock on him is sometimes he goes into his "draft analysis" mode which is great for player evaluation but sometimes too much during an NFL game.

His voice makes my eyes bleed :p