PDA

View Full Version : HEY!! How 'bout them Special Teams?!!

krygny
09-21-2012, 10:13 AM
We tend to talk about special teams only when they suck. Well, they don't suck. It's time to give props to the coaching staff and the young ST players who are getting it done.

Does anybody remember all the Tynes haters just a few years ago? Even after he kicked us into one Super Bowl, and even though the guy has NEVER missed a critical field goal, some haters here wanted him gone. Now, he's kicked us into a second SB, he's been perfect so far this year and he's consistently putting the ball in the end zone on kickoffs. Of course, sooner or later, he'll miss a game tying or game winning FG and I won't even want to read the message board when all the idiots show up after that.

And I'm just giddy over Weatherford. I still can't believe the Jets dumped this guy in our laps. Without bothering to look at stats, I think he might be the best punter in the league. He was supposed to be a directional punter and we know how good he is at putting the ball inside the 20, but he can also launch a rocket when you need it. What more can you ask?

Kick return coverage has been excellent and punt coverage has been just as good (when there is a punt returned).

Remember - Kickers score the most points; Punters gain the most yards.

Kruunch
09-21-2012, 10:15 AM
Huge HUGE turn around for our STs since 2010 where they were abysmal.

Still not getting the returns I'd like but our coverages and kicks have all been rock solid of late (including last year).

GCGiant
09-21-2012, 10:16 AM
Kick return coverage has been excellent and punt coverage has been just as good (when there is a punt returned).

It is so much better than it has been over the last few years. It is so nice for the defense to have an extra 20 yards or so to stop them.

GMan-67
09-21-2012, 10:16 AM
yeah that was one pleasant surprise that happened last season and great to see it continuing this season ... Tynes, Paysinger ... heck even Tryon recovers a muff ... all good right now ... maybe we weren't LUCKY to dominate SFs special teams

Kruunch
09-21-2012, 10:18 AM
yeah that was one pleasant surprise that happened last season and great to see it continuing this season ... Tynes, Paysinger ... heck even Tryon recovers a muff ... all good right now ... maybe we weren't LUCKY to dominate SFs special teams

Shhhhhhhh ... don't let the cat out of the bag ;)

embeshAtYa
09-21-2012, 10:59 AM
definately noticable great play by the STs

Toadofsteel
09-21-2012, 11:03 AM
Now you guys know why we have Tryon on the team. He's only listed as a CB because he needs to theoretically have a position.

Personally, I think rosters should allow to list a player primarily as a special teamer, with the backup designation of where they would theoretically play on offense or defense listed after that.

BigBlue wins
09-21-2012, 11:07 AM
I noticed too how much better special teams has gotten. Tom Quinn doesn't look so bad now and it makes you wonder how much of a balance was it between the coaching and the abilities of the players.

krygny
09-21-2012, 11:15 AM
Coverage is all about coaching and disciplin of the players. But it all starts with the kicker and punter, and we have two of the best.

Jernigan was supposed to be our "Devin Hester". I always thought that's why he was drafted. Hasn't happened.

GameTime
09-21-2012, 11:20 AM
no doubt. Tynes puts up 15 points last night. I see a few to the house to this season with Wilson and Randle.

timmytimm3
09-21-2012, 11:30 AM
Seems like since Larry Izzo came over from the Pats the special teams have improved a lot. Dumping Dodge and adding Weatherford was also a huge improvement.