PDA

View Full Version : Hixon= wally pip

dave56dj
09-21-2012, 12:38 PM
Last year he goes down and hello victor cruz (after they tried stokely of course.

This year he goes down and hello Barden (yes its only one game and he was a 3rd rounder) but wally pip a little.

Also is the new AB our new Cruz? I know he was a 4th rounder - but the kid was cut 10 times and tore his achilles. After being on the PS last year can't believe anyone thought he had this in him. Unreal.

YATittle1962
09-21-2012, 12:40 PM
slow down big hoss

it was one game where the Panthers were rolling heavy coverage to Cruz and leaving a rookie on Barden

I am happy for him and he played well

but a healthy Hixon is twice the football player of Barden

TroyArcher
09-21-2012, 12:44 PM
Hixon has more speed, at least that is my impression. Barden could become a good weapon similar to Plaxico. It is a long season and it is good to have solid backups. I believe when Hixon returns you will see both of them playing equally. Barden does nood to show it in more than one game. Lets see how he does against the Eagles.

dave56dj
09-21-2012, 12:50 PM
Slow down hoss? Interesting that in my post i say "its only been one game." The larger picture here is hixon has been our x receiver before and does not have the potential ramses does. Sorry, hixon is a nice wideout with relatively good speed but is not a guy who is gonna wow or can take over a game. Not saying barden will but he certainly has a better chance the dom - and no i dont think hixon is twice the player barden is - your talking about him like he is nicks or cruz who are leaps and bounds above everyone. Hixon's best year he had 24 catches - while you think im overhyping barden seems like your overhyping hixon. He has been a nice st guy and ok as a third wideout. As for your rolled coverage, not only was it that, the panther played soft coverage and barden got to run his big bodied slant all day. That said hixon has never had one game as a receiver like bardens. When it comes to overhyping id rather be with the young barden then dom.

Eli TO Shockey
09-21-2012, 12:52 PM
Hixon has more speed, at least that is my impression. Barden could become a good weapon similar to Plaxico. It is a long season and it is good to have solid backups. I believe when Hixon returns you will see both of them playing equally. Barden does nood to show it in more than one game. Lets see how he does against the Eagles.

not so sure after tearing that same ACL twice. I like Hixon....but Ramses has the big play ability, without the 2 knee surgeries.

GameTime
09-21-2012, 01:00 PM
slow down big hoss

it was one game where the Panthers were rolling heavy coverage to Cruz and leaving a rookie on Barden

but a Hixon in the trainers room is an opportunity...

YATittle1962
09-21-2012, 01:02 PM
but a Hixon in the trainers room is an opportunity...

absolutely

I am happy for Ramses

this kid was euphoric last night ......hugging Eli

joemorrisforprez
09-21-2012, 01:04 PM
slow down big hoss

But a healthy Hixon is like a lunar eclipse.

GameTime
09-21-2012, 01:05 PM
absolutely

I am happy for Ramses

this kid was euphoric last night ......hugging Eli

No doubt. Also maybe he is a better player now because of Hixon to some degree. Seems like the Gaints WRs learn from each other and are open with their knowledge of the game and position....

joemorrisforprez
09-21-2012, 01:05 PM

Ramses has a ton of upside....I thought he did a nice job against press coverage....something Hixon struggles with.

rainierjef
09-21-2012, 01:07 PM
slow down big hoss

YA you are wasting your time. lol

Hessian
09-21-2012, 01:09 PM
slow down big hoss

I disagree with this, I believe Eli is the sole factor to both of their successes. Hixon, while a standout on ST, has done little to nothing notable for the regular offense. Correct me if I am wrong.

YATittle1962
09-21-2012, 01:10 PM
Slow down hoss? Interesting that in my post i say "its only been one game." The larger picture here is hixon has been our x receiver before and does not have the potential ramses does. Sorry, hixon is a nice wideout with relatively good speed but is not a guy who is gonna wow or can take over a game. Not saying barden will but he certainly has a better chance the dom - and no i dont think hixon is twice the player barden is - your talking about him like he is nicks or cruz who are leaps and bounds above everyone. Hixon's best year he had 24 catches - while you think im overhyping barden seems like your overhyping hixon. He has been a nice st guy and ok as a third wideout. As for your rolled coverage, not only was it that, the panther played soft coverage and barden got to run his big bodied slant all day. That said hixon has never had one game as a receiver like bardens. When it comes to overhyping id rather be with the young barden then dom.

you referenced Wally Pipp....not me

and referring to Wally Pipp makes me think of one thing...Lou Gehrig

Lou Gehrig, Barden is not

dave56dj
09-21-2012, 01:14 PM
wasting time? please tell me how? you are lauding a guy who has had 24 catches as a max in his career. That said ramses had 9 all of last year, but last nights game was the best either have ever had in one game. Hixon is a nice st guy and decent 3rd but twice the player barden is? Seems a bit much. Also there is a readon Barden was a third rounder - he has a pedigree, his body type is also a factor. You can't just be big to be good but the kid looked very solid all around last night even with the soft coverage and rolled saftey to cruz. Not saying he is on his was to stardom - but that he may surplant hixon which is not unheard of in the least. As to your notion he saw man coverage - he actually saw more soft zone - but that said what do you think hixon see's as a thriud wideout with nicks and cruz on the field. He has had some ok games and one great deep catch week one - but lets not overhype him either. I'm glad we have the depth but i think barden and randle are gonna wally pip hixon.

Hessian
09-21-2012, 01:21 PM
you referenced Wally Pipp....not me

and referring to Wally Pipp makes me think of one thing...Lou Gehrig

Lou Gehrig, Barden is not
Wow, pardon my french here, but a reference to baseball? Seriously? Baseball is a laugh at best, plus reading the forum title suggests... WTF ever. Anyways, although I respect your opinion on pretty much everything Giants football, I do not understand your position on Hixon. It's not like I hate the guy, and I would certainly keep him for his ST abilities. But IMO he isn't the answer at the 3rd receiver spot.

RoanokeFan
09-21-2012, 01:21 PM
Last year he goes down and hello victor cruz (after they tried stokely of course.

This year he goes down and hello Barden (yes its only one game and he was a 3rd rounder) but wally pip a little.

Also is the new AB our new Cruz? I know he was a 4th rounder - but the kid was cut 10 times and tore his achilles. After being on the PS last year can't believe anyone thought he had this in him. Unreal.

I wouldn't be showing Hixon the door just yet. Hixon is still more versatile than Barden. I'd suggest we wait a bit before making decisions abot the future lineup

YATittle1962
09-21-2012, 01:24 PM
Wow, pardon my french here, but a reference to baseball? Seriously? Baseball is a laugh at best, plus reading the forum title suggests... WTF ever. Anyways, although I respect your opinion on pretty much everything Giants football, I do not understand your position on Hixon. It's not like I hate the guy, and I would certainly keep him for his ST abilities. But IMO he isn't the answer at the 3rd receiver spot.

do you know who Wally Pipp is ?

the baseball reference is in the thread title

dave56dj
09-21-2012, 01:27 PM
YA you got me there - I wasn't considering the other side to my analogy - just the pip side. You are right Gehrig he is not. So i take back that aspect.

Roanoake - i did say to you barden would be the guy this week in another post and you responded "how many catches did he have?" This was in a game where eli threw for 510 and in a game where cruz and nicks (his first two reads on almost every play) were running wild - wide open. The point is not that i was right it is that the GIANTS believe in their depth chart and put players in those spots due to their evaluations of practice. So i said he would be the guy based on them - not b/c i think im right or i know more football then you - b/c i trust the coaching staff/ not what i decide to see in games.

Just like this game where randle only had one catch - but again eli's first and second reads (barden/ cruz/ bennett) were often open) and while randle only had the one catch he got his feet wet and is 4th on the chart cause he is progressing just as the giants felt barden was.

Hessian
09-21-2012, 01:29 PM
do you know who Wally Pipp is ?

the baseball reference is in the thread title
which in turn is on a Giants football message board... anyways ignore the fluff off my previous post(that being sorry *** baseball as a whole) and focus on my question :)

YATittle1962
09-21-2012, 01:29 PM
YA you got me there - I wasn't considering the other side to my analogy - just the pip side. You are right Gehrig he is not. So i take back that aspect.

I know what you are saying though

it is impossible to not be excited about Barden right now

if he can continue to play this way we will be hard to beat

RoanokeFan
09-21-2012, 01:32 PM

Roanoake - i did say to you barden would be the guy this week in another post and you responded "how many catches did he have?" This was in a game where eli threw for 510 and in a game where cruz and nicks (his first two reads on almost every play) were running wild - wide open. The point is not that i was right it is that the GIANTS believe in their depth chart and put players in those spots due to their evaluations of practice. So i said he would be the guy based on them - not b/c i think im right or i know more football then you - b/c i trust the coaching staff/ not what i decide to see in games.

Just like this game where randle only had one catch - but again eli's first and second reads (barden/ cruz/ bennett) were often open) and while randle only had the one catch he got his feet wet and is 4th on the chart cause he is progressing just as the giants felt barden was.

I am all for feet wetting, believe me. I also see more 4 WR sets as long as the Oline continues to improve its play. To say Hixon has done nothing on offense is simply incorrect. I believe I'm right in saying he's caught what was thrown to him, which si what you want for your # 3. Last night, for the most part, the defenders were, inexplicably, playing off Barden. To be clear I hope Barden has finally shown up, but we need to see a little more before reshuffling the deck

YATittle1962
09-21-2012, 01:32 PM
which in turn is on a Giants football message board... anyways ignore the fluff off my previous post(that being sorry *** baseball as a whole) and focus on my question :)

the whole point of the thread is a baseball reference.....

Wally Pipp gave way to Lou Gehrig

and the OP was trying to say that Hixon is Wally and Barden is Gehrig

when in reality Nicks would be Pipp in this situation because Barden was playing in Hakeems place

Hessian
09-21-2012, 01:33 PM
I wouldn't be showing Hixon the door just yet. Hixon is still more versatile than Barden. I'd suggest we wait a bit before making decisions abot the future lineup
We being The New York Football Giants coaching staff, and not the layman posters as myself and their upperclassmen the moderators. Correct?

Hessian
09-21-2012, 01:35 PM
the whole point of the thread is a baseball reference.....

Wally Pipp gave way to Lou Gehrig

and the OP was trying to say that Hixon is Wally and Barden is Gehrig

when in reality Nicks would be Pipp in this situation because Barden was playing in Hakeems place
OK its a friday I believe so we'll leave it at that. See you at the bar, first rounds on me :P

dave56dj
09-21-2012, 01:41 PM
raonoake where and when did i ever say hixon has done nothing? totally unfair.

ya - splitting hairs on who pip is - while barden did play x - they also switched it up a bit with the slot, so you could still give me hixon as pip. BUt no barden isnt gherig, or hopefully not yet.