PDA

View Full Version : Barden has bumped up to 3rd WR ahead of Hixon.

SuperNYGiants
09-21-2012, 02:25 PM
I like Hixon in his 3rd WR role, but he has never shined like what Barden just did last night, but in reality I would assume that these two will play the 3rd WR spot depending upon the matchup situation interchangeably. I'm sure Hixon will get his share of play time, but I would like Barden to play a lot more, and it's a nice complement to have 4 very capable WRs at Eli's disposal, plus the Black Unicorn. If Andre Brown keeps running like he has, Giants offense just may be unstoppable.

RoanokeFan
09-21-2012, 02:25 PM
I like Hixon in his 3rd WR role, but he has never shined like what Barden just did last night, but in reality I would assume that these two will play the 3rd WR spot depending upon the matchup situation interchangeably. I'm sure Hixon will get his share of play time, but I would like Barden to play a lot more, and it's a nice complement to have 4 very capable WRs at Eli's disposal, plus the Black Unicorn. If Andre Brown keeps running like he has, Giants offense just may be unstoppable.

Barden wasn't in the #3 role yesterday. Big difference in the # of targeted plays

YATittle1962
09-21-2012, 02:27 PM
no one is bumped anywhere

and if your thread title is sharing some news...(which I know it is not)....please provide a link

.....and he did not replace Hixon last night....he replaced Nicks

dave56dj
09-21-2012, 02:28 PM
Agreed - this is an opinion not a fact. And barden played the x last night not the slot.

giantsfan420
09-21-2012, 02:30 PM
i agree. he started last night, but they used him the same way id think if he was 3rd on the depth chart. slide him out wide, move cruz in the slot. Barden had a dominant effort, he kept on getting open over the middle, WHICH IS HUGE.
Eli said it best after the game, we got to get him on the field. The way they were on the sidelines yesterday tells me they have a solid relationship and that they trust each other. This may very well be the "Cruz Coming out party" we saw last yr, only with a new player, Barden.

gmen0820
09-21-2012, 02:36 PM
Barden looked damn impressive yesterday, and did most of it as our X-receiver. Granted, he was getting favorable coverage vs a loser rookie, but he did what you would expect him to do: dominate. I just have to see it again though. Carolina, short week, shady defense, etc etc. there are just too many grey clouds over this game. If he does it vs Philly, then I'm convinced. He's gonna have trouble getting X snaps with Nicks on the field though, and that's where he did so well last night. I'm genuinely surprised, but I'm very happy that Barden stepped it up. Just provides me another nugget to chew on with him, hopefully he can consistently turn nice performances in.

Homer80
09-21-2012, 02:50 PM
If Andre Brown keeps running like he has, Giants offense just may be unstoppable.

Brown looked like he had more paitience with the O-line waiting for the holes to open up.

NCSUGiants
09-21-2012, 03:45 PM
Brown looked like he had more paitience with the O-line waiting for the holes to open up.

I was at the game last night with front row seats on the upper deck, and was able to see the plays develop/holes open up. Half way through the game I said this exact same thing. Brown was very patient, and when the hole opened, he had the vision and burst to hit it with some good force. I'm a big NC State fan, but what blew me away about him was his speed. On a few runs the defenders had the angle on him, but he was able to out run them. In college he was always a bowling ball, rarely ever coming down on first contact and needing multiple people to typically drag him down, but I don't recall the speed. He's got a surprisingly good combination of both speed/strength and if he remains healthy could provide real value this season.

Depending on the way things work out, Wilson and Brown have styles that compliment each other very well. Perhaps this is the making of a new running duo for the GMen.

titwio
09-21-2012, 04:49 PM
I just want to put some thoughts into perspective ...Barden did play well last night but the Panthers game plan wasn't centered around shutting Ramses down. In-fact they put rookie Josh Norman on him. I'm in no way discrediting what Barden did (because he capitalized on his opportunities) but the Panthers were playing soft zone most of the night and Barden was basically one cut from being wide open.

Like others said, Hixon is still the number three and more so because he stretches the field (which is what the Giants want from their #3)...I actually think Barden is going to be utilized in that hybrid TE role that Beckum was being used in (which doesn't involve a whole lot of blocking). Eli said it last night that he can line up at TE and be effective.

rtr1105
09-21-2012, 04:52 PM
Is it just me, or did Barden look like our Steve Smith a bit, but with Plaxico's size last night?

giantsfan420
09-21-2012, 04:55 PM
barden was beating man coverage over the middle much of the night. we'll use both but barden earned a lot more playing time and to move up on the depth chart. u could tell TC and Eli were so stoked with him. remember hixon is the stop gap really for whichver guy stepped up. a lotta people never thought itd be barden, but it is...

jerseytom
09-21-2012, 04:56 PM
does anyone else think that maybe the giant should come out with a 4 wideout set against Philly? Seeing how Barden performed lastnite.

rtr1105
09-21-2012, 04:58 PM
does anyone else think that maybe the giant should come out with a 4 wideout set against Philly? Seeing how Barden performed lastnite.

If the O-Line could continue their performance from last night, then I don't see why not.

RoanokeFan
09-21-2012, 04:59 PM

You bet

SackingMyths
09-21-2012, 05:01 PM
Barden exceeded most of our expectations...and looked darned good doing it, too. But still, I'm hesitant to overreact to what it means in terms of his role once Nicks and Hixon are back.

The book on Ramses is that he's typically struggled to get a clean release against press coverage, which Carolina moronically decided not to employ. The Panthers' poor scouting, game planning against him has to at least weigh somewhat into evaluating his stellar performance IMO.

Not trying to knock the guy one bit. He makes our depth look prettier, for sure. And his confidence has to be sky-high. All good things.

But with a healthy Nicks, Cruz, Bennett and Hixon out there, he's at best still the 4th or 5th option (albeit, a good one...finally!)

Ruttiger711
09-21-2012, 05:12 PM
Barden exceeded most of our expectations...and looked darned good doing it, too. But still, I'm hesitant to overreact to what it means in terms of his role once Nicks and Hixon are back.

The book on Ramses is that he's typically struggled to get a clean release against press coverage, which Carolina moronically decided not to employ. The Panthers' poor scouting, game planning against him has to at least weigh somewhat into evaluating his stellar performance IMO.

Not trying to knock the guy one bit. He makes our depth look prettier, for sure. And his confidence has to be sky-high. All good things.

But with a healthy Nicks, Cruz, Bennett and Hixon out there, he's at best still the 4th or 5th option (albeit, a good one...finally!)

+1

I'm giddy that Barden did so well but the reality of it all is with Nicks out, the focus of the defense was on Cruz and trying to shut him down. Kudos to Barden for seizing the opportunity. Great security to have if either of the top 3 go down.

Giants5699
09-21-2012, 05:12 PM
I wonder if they will move Cruz back to the slot and have Barden play outside..

Eli TO Shockey
09-21-2012, 05:16 PM
barden was beating man coverage over the middle much of the night. we'll use both but barden earned a lot more playing time and to move up on the depth chart. u could tell TC and Eli were so stoked with him. remember hixon is the stop gap really for whichver guy stepped up. a lotta people never thought itd be barden, but it is...

Guilty. I gave up on Barden 2 years ago. But, after seeing him in the preseason, I was enriched with a glimmer of hope. Good to know we have some serious ddepth at WR when healthy.

jerseytom
they would still have to pay attention to him,which frees up other coverages

Eli TO Shockey
I wonder if they will move Cruz back to the slot and have Barden play outside..

Cruz has been playing out of the slot on most 3wr sets all season.