PDA

View Full Version : Why no Wilson in garbage time?

npd4432
09-21-2012, 02:42 PM
I was wondering why da'rell scott was in the game late and Wilson was not getting the reps? Is he still in tc's doghouse?

RoanokeFan
09-21-2012, 02:44 PM
I was wondering why da'rell scott was in the game late and Wilson was not getting the reps? Is he still in tc's doghouse?

Wilson returned kicks, Scott needed some playing time. Don't read too much into it.

GMan-67
09-21-2012, 02:46 PM
i was thinking that ... let him get some confidence there, but then again Scott had not even been active the 1st couple weeks, so we threw him a bone ... i didnt have a big issue with that

Rudyy
09-21-2012, 02:48 PM
Because its garbage time..

B&RWarrior
09-21-2012, 02:49 PM
i was thinking that ... let him get some confidence there, but then again Scott had not even been active the 1st couple weeks, so we threw him a bone ... i didnt have a big issue with that

I think TC wants him to remember how important not turning over the football is. TC is an old pro. He'll have plenty of time to get experience in a 16 game season.

RoanokeFan
09-21-2012, 02:51 PM

This team "develops" its players and they are serious about it. Far more can be lost if they push a guy onto the field, Tryon for example, before he's ready. Tryon is the LAST CB on the roster and he's been placed into an impossible situation for which he has been soundly criticized. No one cares about Tryon's potential and he will be thought of as a bust until he develops into the player they believe he can become.

RoanokeFan
09-21-2012, 02:53 PM
I think TC wants him to remember how important not turning over the football is. TC is an old pro. He'll have plenty of time to get experience in a 16 game season.

This is key to a running back's future. Yo can bet that at the end of the game TC thought "hey, no fumbles form the backfield."

Kruunch
09-21-2012, 02:55 PM

The same reason Eli wasn't playing in garbage time ... saving the potential starters and checking out the bench players.

Toadofsteel
09-21-2012, 03:09 PM
Wasn't Bradshaw basically a kick returner for most of his rookie year?

TrueBlue@NYC
09-21-2012, 03:11 PM
Wilson should have been given som reps at the end. In the very least to give the kid a shot at redeeming himself from his mistakes.

CDN_G-FAN
09-21-2012, 03:19 PM
if you heard the post interview with Brown, he said it best:

"keeping your protections and assignments straight. If you can't pass block as a RB on this team, you won't get on the field........."

i said it at the beginning of the year. Coughlin places WAAAAY more priority on the health and protection of his QBs than he does on running yards gained.

As long as he's got RBs that can pick up a blitz, there's little reason in his mind to risk Eli (or Carr) by getting someone to learn the ropes at the expense of our QBs health.

Every back we've had has spent time developing slower than we all think they should (Bradshaw, Jacobs, Scott, Wilson), and its based on understanding pass protection responsibilities.

analysts say it all the time, as a RB if you can catch the ball and pass block, you'll have a job somewhere in the NFL.

GMenNY21
09-21-2012, 03:22 PM
The same reason Eli wasn't playing in garbage time ... saving the potential starters and checking out the bench players.This

JB456
09-21-2012, 03:24 PM
The same reason Eli wasn't playing in garbage time ... saving the potential starters and checking out the bench players.

This is the answer. /Thread

TheAnalyst
09-21-2012, 03:28 PM
Andre Brown happened... Wilson is now the #3 back. And they might be willing to shop Scott for a pick now so they are giving him a chance to shine to improve his value.

fansince69
09-21-2012, 03:34 PM

"keeping your protections and assignments straight. If you can't pass block as a RB on this team, you won't get on the field........."

i said it at the beginning of the year. Coughlin places WAAAAY more priority on the health and protection of his QBs than he does on running yards gained.

As long as he's got RBs that can pick up a blitz, there's little reason in his mind to risk Eli (or Carr) by getting someone to learn the ropes at the expense of our QBs health.

Every back we've had has spent time developing slower than we all think they should (Bradshaw, Jacobs, Scott, Wilson), and its based on understanding pass protection responsibilities.

analysts say it all the time, as a RB if you can catch the ball and pass block, you'll have a job somewhere in the NFL.

Very nice summary of what it takes to be a running back for NYG.....the only thing about this is.. this does not explain why Wilson was not in there at the end when all we are doing is running the ball to run clock out....Why not give Wilson a couple of carries?

Giants5699
09-21-2012, 03:37 PM
Wilson's carries will come later in the season. He'll start getting significant time around week 11. It is the way the Giants develope their rookies.

CDN_G-FAN
09-21-2012, 03:38 PM
Very nice summary of what it takes to be a running back for NYG.....the only thing about this is.. this does not explain why Wilson was not in there at the end when all we are doing is running the ball to run clock out....Why not give Wilson a couple of carries?

why give him carries since the only reason we're not playing him more is that he needs to work on his pass protection?

give scott the carries, keep Wilson fresh, healthy and studying.

fansince69
09-21-2012, 03:57 PM
why give him carries since the only reason we're not playing him more is that he needs to work on his pass protection?

give scott the carries, keep Wilson fresh, healthy and studying.

Because that is a situation where the pass protection he needs to work on won't be an issue ...and he still gets carries in a NFL game helping him get used to the speed....in a time when an error wouldn't have hurt too bad

TheShouldersOf
09-21-2012, 04:29 PM
Wilson's carries diminished from Tampa to this game, 3 carries Versus Tampa, one carry last game

i know Tom develops players slower, but he really hasn't gotten significant opportunities,

TheShouldersOf
09-21-2012, 04:30 PM

He did give up the sack

RoanokeFan
09-21-2012, 05:04 PM
Wilson should have been given som reps at the end. In the very least to give the kid a shot at redeeming himself from his mistakes.

We really have to get to the point where we believe the coaches know best. They watch the practices and see things that we don't. Wilson is on the field returning kicks and he's done a better than average job at that. When garbage time came, it could simply be they wanted to give Scott some real playing time.

I'm pretty sure no one is suggesting we should have pulled Brown in favor of Wilson.

RoanokeFan
09-21-2012, 05:06 PM
He did give up the sack

Yes, but that was technique, not missing the assignment.which Wilson has done. I'm a big Wilson fan, but he needs a little more time to develop the trust factor.

BParcells777
09-21-2012, 05:09 PM
Wilson has a lot to learn about running in the NFL..........he has poor patience and timing

Has great physical skills but needs coaching

GMan-67
09-21-2012, 05:27 PM

but if we were seriously concerned about his ball security he would not be returning kicks and he also had some carries before the game was over, so i dont look at it as a dog house decision

if Bradshaw is OK for Philly, then Scott goes back to street clothes, so we took the opportunity to give him some carries ... Wilson will have plenty of opportunities to get carries

i see a hot hand trend developing at RB

but, naturally the hot hand better be protecting the QB and securing the ball

which again supports my main point ... we werent worried about pass protection with Carr, so my take is we were giving a player slated to be inactive a lot some work