PDA

View Full Version : The 1st time I saw Eli.....read on

BParcells777
09-21-2012, 02:52 PM
It was draft day 9 yrs ago.

My family was in Europe visiting relatives and I paid the $15 to enter the Stadium and watch the draft in the Clubhouse.....a weird vibe going to something like that

So after they drafted Eli and I had a beer or two I wandered through the clubhouse lockeroom and out on to the sunny field....it was about 1PM

All of a sudden up in the Upper Deck appears this kid waving and smiling.........he looked like a kid on Christmas smiling and waving to the small crowd down on the turf ( few waved back stunned) .....he looked very young, maybe 16

It was Eli. How he got out to the Stadium so fast I have no idea but you could see the unmitigted joy on his face.
I thought to myself what are you so happy about, you just came to a team steeped in losing, which had just fired its Head Coach. I was puzzled. I knew it would be a long road back to respectability for the Giants.

He seemed strangely calm, and confident, even then. I was perplexed, and it took 4 more years before I understood his attititude.

A unique player, a unique person.........glad he bent the rules to get here, and Ernie bent heaven and earth to get him, I was unconvinced. He seemed to really really want to be a Giant. Despite my doubts I loved his attitude.

The rest is history.

SuperNYGiants
09-21-2012, 02:57 PM
Eli today reminds me of Joe Montana in that they are both not a physical specimen and unassuming but has a burning desire and heart to play their best at all times. Oh and let's not forget being clutch at the biggest stage.

Eli TO Shockey
09-21-2012, 03:00 PM
Nice thread

ny06
09-21-2012, 03:01 PM
Eli today reminds me of Joe Montana in that they are both not a physical specimen and unassuming but has a burning desire and heart to play their best at all times. Oh and let's not forget being clutch at the biggest stage.
Great analogy, my opinion is Joe Montana was the best qb the NFL has ever seen. Like you mentioned, he didn't have the rifle arm, or the athleticism of some other qb's during his playing days. But at the end of the day he brought the best out of his teammates, and played his best football in the biggest games. Sounds very similar to our own Eli Manning.

BigBlue wins
09-21-2012, 03:05 PM
Great analogy, my opinion is Joe Montana was the best qb the NFL has ever seen. Like you mentioned, he didn't have the rifle arm, or the athleticism of some other qb's during his playing days. But at the end of the day he brought the best out of his teammates, and played his best football in the biggest games. Sounds very similar to our own Eli Manning.

When it's all said and done, Eli will be a no brainer for the Hall of Fame

GameTime
09-21-2012, 03:08 PM
Yeah....I am not a follower of colleg football so really didnt know who he was other than Peyton's Brother.
While I would go nutz when he played like a fool at times I never lost the hope that he could be something great. He is a dork, he can't run forward more than 10 steps without looking like a spaz, and does not look the NFL player. But he is smart, competitve, calm, and a champion.

Toadofsteel
09-21-2012, 03:08 PM
Eli is the anchor that holds this team together now. He doesn't get overly emotional about the games, can shrug off bad plays and bad hits, and never loses it. THAT is what makes a truly elite QB. The media hates it because there's no story there, but he may very well be the best QB to play the game today. No other QB in the league would have won against SF's defense in the title game. No one...

BParcells777
09-21-2012, 03:13 PM
Just curious but was anyone reading this at the Stadium that draft day also?

PS- Its not a great treat unless you go with a group of friends and party, kind of boring....there were a few Giants plaers there but you had to queue up a long line to get their autographs......but I'm curious if anyone else was on the field that day and saw him come out to greet the fans

SweetZombieJesus
09-21-2012, 03:21 PM
It was Eli. How he got out to the Stadium so fast I have no idea but you could see the unmitigted joy on his face.
I thought to myself what are you so happy about, you just came to a team steeped in losing, which had just fired its Head Coach. I was puzzled. I knew it would be a long road back to respectability for the Giants.

I liked your story, but "steeped in losing"? They were 3 years removed from a Super Bowl appearance, one year removed from a playoff appearance, already had two Super Bowls in relatively recent history... It's not like he went to a real loser, like the Cardinals, Browns, Eagles, Chargers, Jets, et al.

And I do remember seeing on TV that he showed up at the stadium immediately afterwards... Didn't look old enough to shave.

BParcells777
09-21-2012, 03:24 PM
Uhhhhhhhh. were you in a coma after the Ice Chips game? We were horrible

SweetZombieJesus
09-21-2012, 03:26 PM
Eli is the anchor that holds this team together now. He doesn't get overly emotional about the games, can shrug off bad plays and bad hits, and never loses it. THAT is what makes a truly elite QB. The media hates it because there's no story there, but he may very well be the best QB to play the game today. No other QB in the league would have won against SF's defense in the title game. No one...

Absolutely... Enough now that

(1) I remember to enjoy this period when Eli is in his prime, because there will be a decline coming, hopefully not too soon

(2) What is life going to be post-Eli, so hard to find a franchise QB.

Hopefully we have at least another 5 years to the ride.

SweetZombieJesus
09-21-2012, 03:30 PM
Uhhhhhhhh. were you in a coma after the Ice Chips game? We were horrible

Playing badly does not mean "steeped in losing".

Talk to some Jets fans. They're steeped in losing.

And what is the "Ice Chips" game? Do you mean the snowball game? I was in the stands.

The most recent tragedy was the 2002 Trey Junkin loss in SF and the entire 2003 season was a loss. Still not "steeped in losing".

BParcells777
09-21-2012, 03:41 PM
we werent very good when Eli joined team........I'm not going to get in a semantics battle with you.....were Cleveland Brown-esque

BParcells777
09-21-2012, 03:43 PM
the colts like crusade to play down to a high draft choice the year before had me pulling my hair out (Johhny Lynn??????)

fansince69
09-21-2012, 03:45 PM
I liked your story, but "steeped in losing"? They were 3 years removed from a Super Bowl appearance, one year removed from a playoff appearance, already had two Super Bowls in relatively recent history... It's not like he went to a real loser, like the Cardinals, Browns, Eagles, Chargers, Jets, et al.

And I do remember seeing on TV that he showed up at the stadium immediately afterwards... Didn't look old enough to shave.

I agree 20 years from mid 60s-mid 80s is steeped in losing....Simms showed up when they were steeped in losing....Eli did join a bad team but it hadn't been bad very long

ryan12
09-21-2012, 04:11 PM
Just curious but was anyone reading this at the Stadium that draft day also?

PS- Its not a great treat unless you go with a group of friends and party, kind of boring....there were a few Giants plaers there but you had to queue up a long line to get their autographs......but I'm curious if anyone else was on the field that day and saw him come out to greet the fans

yup i was there i busted my *** trying to kick the field goal in the little blowup thingy. that was a great day

BParcells777
09-21-2012, 04:17 PM
yup i was there i busted my *** trying to kick the field goal in the little blowup thingy. that was a great day

What were you thinking when you saw him up there waving and smiling to the crowd........honestly did he look like your long awaited Savior?

BParcells777
09-21-2012, 04:18 PM
I agree 20 years from mid 60s-mid 80s is steeped in losing....Simms showed up when they were steeped in losing....Eli did join a bad team but it hadn't been bad very long

Its a general term meaning the team was chronically underperforming........why are you harping on this.....you know we were bad

BParcells777
09-21-2012, 04:20 PM
Absolutely... Enough now that

(1) I remember to enjoy this period when Eli is in his prime, because there will be a decline coming, hopefully not too soon

(2) What is life going to be post-Eli, so hard to find a franchise QB.

Hopefully we have at least another 5 years to the ride.

I wish we had kept Perrilloux, and bring him back like we did Andre......he has franchise QB potential

harrycarson
09-21-2012, 04:24 PM
[QUOTE=GameTime;498596]Yeah....I am not a follower of colleg football so really didnt know who he was other than Peyton's Brother.
While I would go nutz when he played like a fool at times I never lost the hope that he could be something great. He is a dork, he can't run forward more than 10 steps without looking like a spaz, and does not look the NFL player. But he is smart, competitve, calm, and a champion.[/QUOT

he is easy Eli and he inspires me more than any other....love my giants and love this kid

SweetZombieJesus
09-21-2012, 04:40 PM
we werent very good when Eli joined team........I'm not going to get in a semantics battle with you.....were Cleveland Brown-esque

Sorry, you're just plain wrong. Nothing sematic about it.

They gave up on Fassel in 2003 after the 2002 playoff meltdown and went 4-12. But they were 10-6 the year before and in the playoffs. Two years before that they were in the Super Bowl. And I'll add the 2004 team went 5-2 without Eli Manning under center.

The Browns, who are perennial cellar-dwellers and made the playoffs only ONCE since returning to the league, would KILL to be able to say that.

ryan12
09-21-2012, 04:42 PM
What were you thinking when you saw him up there waving and smiling to the crowd........honestly did he look like your long awaited Savior?

he looked like a little kid that was about to take the town by storm. that whole day was crazy

SweetZombieJesus
09-21-2012, 04:44 PM
Its a general term meaning the team was chronically underperforming........why are you harping on this.....you know we were bad

You seem to misunderstand the meaning of "steeped", which means "mired", "stuck", and you yourself reaffirm that by using the term "chronically" which means frequently.

steep2    [steep] Show IPA
verb (used with object)
to soak in water or other liquid, as to soften, cleanse, or extract some constituent: to steep tea in boiling-hot water; to steep reeds for basket weaving.
to wet thoroughly in or with a liquid; drench; saturate; imbue.
to immerse in or saturate or imbue with some pervading, absorbing, or stupefying influence or agency: an incident steeped in mystery.

The Giants at the end of the 2003 were one year removed from the playoffs and three years removed from a Super Bowl appearance.

The Giants were LOSING but not "steeped" in it by any means.