PDA

View Full Version : Was Diehl the problem with the Oline?

WinterIsComing
09-21-2012, 03:16 PM
Our line has played at a much higher level since Diehl left halfway through the tampa game. I think the line should stay the way it is, even upon his return.

GameTime
09-21-2012, 03:19 PM
I like DD a bunch but he has been declining for some reason. I am sure its not all coinsidence that the oline is playing better. Also Beatty at LT and Locklear at RT. Bennet getting the blockign shemes down better too....

BigBlue wins
09-21-2012, 03:21 PM
I like DD a bunch but he has been declining for some reason. I am sure its not all coinsidence that the oline is playing better. Also Beatty at LT and Locklear at RT. Bennet getting the blockign shemes down better too....

Diehl should just stay out imo unless someone else gets hurt (god forbid)

WinterIsComing
09-21-2012, 03:22 PM
Eli had time to throw last night and I'll tell you this, when that happens the defense has no chance at stopping him. I think it was the best I saw the offense perform in over 2 years. Reminded me of the blow out game against the seahawks a few years back.

CDN_G-FAN
09-21-2012, 03:22 PM
that seems like the low hanging fruit reason, and it may be true.

but with o lines, coaches say its usually the number of reps that is the difference between good and bad. it wouldn't be the weirdest thing if the game experience over the last 3 weeks has made this much of a difference.

keep in mind, for the most part they've been very good at pass protection, so its not like they completely suck and don't know what they're doing, its just they're run blocking has stunk.

another think other analysts have said about the new offseason rules, the reduction in padded practices makes the most difference in the run game (apparently).

fansince69
09-21-2012, 03:23 PM
Diehl should just stay out imo unless someone else gets hurt (god forbid)

I don't know....couple years ago the same thing happen with O'Hara...when he was healthy he was playing....Coughlin is pretty loyal.......Honestly I think DD has being a soldier for this team....but the line looks better NOW

Kruunch
09-21-2012, 03:24 PM

I think it's more of a difference of Brown over Bradshaw then Locklear over DD.

Considering that most of Brown's runs that were successful weren't over DD's (previous) side.

JSpin
09-21-2012, 03:24 PM
Absolutely. He was one of the worst offensive linemen in the league last year according to profootballfocus.

OX1
09-21-2012, 03:28 PM
When the pass protection and the run game almost instantly transform, there is really only one answer.

Razur
09-21-2012, 03:37 PM
Not THE problem, but maybe A problem. We saw a very good and "patient" running back, Brown tear up the Panthers last night. Brown has good vision and saw the cracks opened by our O-Line and took advantage with his explosiveness. We haven't seen a North-South runner like this in a long time. Again, Brown waited for the gap, as opposed to Bradshaw who rushes the gate a little early. Diehl is definately on the downslide of his carreer, and the current line-up has had a couple of good games strung together. No need to screw up what is working. Who knows, maybe a little rest can make Diehl a better relief player,, in this stage of his carreer, than a starter. Protection of Eli was the key to the win last night, and this O-Line did a great job of that last night. My guess is Diehl will be warming the bench while we have this motor firing on all pistons.

burier
09-21-2012, 03:44 PM
Honestly I have no idea what the Giants were thinking puting David Diehl at RT. It's insane and when he becomes healthy again they better not put him back there. Its madness.

drewz
09-21-2012, 04:06 PM
"I don't think it's coincidental that w/out David Diehl the Giants OL had their best performance since W12 '10. Diehl didn't play then either" - PFF

TrueBlue@NYC
09-21-2012, 04:17 PM
The OL improvement is really two fold.

Beatty is a better LT than Locklear

Locklear is a better RT than DD.

So really we upgraded two spots on the line by Beatty going in at LT.

It's great because DD now becomes out swing OT.

PRGiant
09-21-2012, 04:30 PM
"I don't think it's coincidental that w/out David Diehl the Giants OL had their best performance since W12 '10. Diehl didn't play then either" - PFF

Such a good post, I love Dielh but he is done...

moosedrool
09-21-2012, 04:33 PM
"The Giants depth chart at offensive tackle has long puzzled us at Pro Football Focus. Well, with David Diehl absent through injury the Giants were last night forced to shuffle the pack. In his absence Sean Locklear (+1.3), and in particular William Beatty (+5.4) put forth the perfect example of why they should be the Giants’ starting tackles for the rest of the season. Locklear had one extremely shaky play in pass protection that yielded a hit to Charles Johnson early in the first quarter and allowed a couple of stops in the run game, but at left tackle Beatty was nearly faultless in one of the best performances of his career. He allowed a couple of pressures in pass protection, but his run blocking was dominant. He had the key block on each of Andre Brown’s 1-yard touchdown carries."

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/09/21/refo-giants-panthers-week-3/