PDA

View Full Version : What to do when Diehl is ready to return?

GIANTSED101
09-21-2012, 02:29 PM
I love DD and respect and appreciate everything that he's done for the Giants. That being said....

We all know that he's on the decline and if my memory serves me right the same thing kind of happened to O'Hara. I remember him being injured and then all of a sudden the offensive line started playing really well. When O'hara was supposedly healthy enough to play they put him back in the starting line up and it totally screwed up the chemistry with the team ultimately costing us the season. Do we do the same thing with Diehl or do we just stick with what's currently working? We know the Coughlin is a loyal guy but *I just don't want to see the saem thing happen again like it did a couple of years back.

GameTime
09-21-2012, 02:31 PM
Have a talk with him and show him game film. Then ask him to be ready when/if they need him.

CDN_G-FAN
09-21-2012, 02:32 PM
don't pretend that he'll just be inserted in the line because he was the 'starter'.

all kinds of football columnists when asked which team in the NFL is the most likely to have a walk on or UFA on the actual roster answer the Giants because the coaching staff just wants the best player based on practice and prep, period.

So if DD stays out, it means they're seeing better things with the current line up excluding him, if they put him back in, its because they think the improvement is due to something other than DD being out.

there's no question in my mind that this staff will make the choice based on who gives them the best chance to win.

JB456
09-21-2012, 02:34 PM
Have a talk with him and show him game film. Then ask him to be ready when/if they need him.

I think this is fair. The Giants need to go with the best offensive line possible for the sake of the team. Since Diehl is a team player, I hope he understands.

GameTime
09-21-2012, 02:35 PM
I think this is fair. The Giants need to go with the best offensive line possible for the sake of the team. Since Diehl is a team player, I hope he understands.
he wont like it because he is a competitor but he will oblige and work hard as he always does.

RagTime Blue
09-21-2012, 02:39 PM
I don't know the answer to the OP, but I'll tell you this much. . .

I would love to see an up-to-speed Wilson running behind last night's line. Then again, I get the feeling Wilson isn't as NFL-ready as many people had hoped.

CDN_G-FAN
09-21-2012, 02:41 PM
I don't know the answer to the OP, but I'll tell you this much. . .

I would love to see an up-to-speed Wilson running behind last night's line. Then again, I get the feeling Wilson isn't as NFL-ready as many people had hoped.

+1

with him there's no rush. again, the expectation is always that a 1st round pick is going to contribute right away. that might be true for some positions, its not for this one.

ny06
09-21-2012, 02:45 PM
The ideal situation would be that he is a valuable backup at the tackle and guard position. Also use him in our jumbo packages. I'm a Diehl fan, but I would be lying that I'm not excited from what I have seen from the guys up front since he got injured.

moosedrool
09-21-2012, 02:50 PM
The ideal situation would be that he is a valuable backup at the tackle and guard position. Also use him in our jumbo packages. I'm a Diehl fan, but I would be lying that I'm not excited from what I have seen from the guys up front since he got injured.

I don't know why you'd consider him a valuable backup. A valuable backup comes in and plays well, like Barden and Brown have done. Diehl does not play well.

JB456
09-21-2012, 02:50 PM
he wont like it because he is a competitor but he will oblige and work hard as he always does.

Agreed. He will accept it but won't like it.

Also, I don't want to seem mean and cold hearted for what he has given the Giants but what other choice does he have? He has been declining for quite a while and this should probably be his last year.

TrueBlue@NYC
09-21-2012, 02:52 PM
The current OL group has been very solid for the game and 3/4's they've been together. If they keep up this pace I don't see how TC would change that, especially since everyone on the current line is a vet so it's not like he could use the experience reason like he did when he replace Koets with O'Hara in the Eagles game.

ny06
09-21-2012, 02:52 PM
I don't know why you'd consider him a valuable backup. A valuable backup comes in and plays well, like Barden and Brown have done. Diehl does not play well.
You're talking about skilled positions, Diehl has 10 years of NFL experience to add to our depth. Look at our backups on our o-line, they are all young and unproven players.

RagTime Blue
09-21-2012, 02:54 PM
with him there's no rush. again, the expectation is always that a 1st round pick is going to contribute right away. that might be true for some positions, its not for this one.

Yeah, he flashed big-time in the preseason. Enough to know that we have some serious NFL talent on our hands with Wilson. . .I'm not worried about a thing.
But it seems like TC tried to take the cake out of the oven a little too soon vs. Cowboys. It's just not done yet.

BigBlue wins
09-21-2012, 02:58 PM
Yeah, he flashed big-time in the preseason. Enough to know that we have some serious NFL talent on our hands with Wilson. . .I'm not worried about a thing.
But it seems like TC tried to take the cake out of the oven a little too soon vs. Cowboys. It's just not done yet.

I really liked the appetizer he gave us on Thursday :)

RoanokeFan
09-21-2012, 03:41 PM
The first thing they will do is stretch his rehabilitation, say 6 weeks. By that time, we will have a better picture of where we're at in the "hunt" and how dominant the tackle tandem of Beatty and Locklear are. I assume they will be hard to replace by then and let's remember that unit cohesion is critical to success. In that case, Diehl will most likely be a 2 who they will "ease back into" the rotation

Now let's not forget, Diehl is actually a guard who was pressed into service as a tackle so he does provide OLine versatility and, when healthy, a fresh set of legs who can still serve a positive role.

But we don't know how he will rehabilitate and it's also possible IR is in his future.

GMan-67
09-21-2012, 04:15 PM
well when he comes back, he will still not be 100%, so i dont see a scenario where he comes back and starts immediately

and, listen, if we keep up the amazing drop backs vs. sacks stat, well we're not changing things, but if Locklear struggles, then Diehl might get his job back

Beatty on the other hand is part of our future, so he is the LT ... barring injury he remains the LT

but the great thing is that Diehl is a total team guy and he can play 4 positions on the O-line, he has 2 Super Bowl rings ... he's a great asset, so we want him back healthy

here's another thought, we will use Tackles in certain packages as TEs ... nice to have the option of bringing in a veteran in those scenarios

and i hate to say it, but you've seen our injury luck ... there is almost a certainty somebody goes down even if just for a few snaps or a quarter and being able to turn to Diehl is a great luxury

GIANTSED101
09-21-2012, 05:00 PM
I know Diehl is a team guy first but it just sucks that this is just the way things happen sometimes. I don't rememer what the exact stat was last night but I believe they've only given up one sack in the last 6 quarters or something like that. That's amazing considering how much of a liability Diehl was becoming at left tackle. There were times Eli was just getting killed because of him. O'well such is life, I think next week is going to be a real good test for the line, the Eagles D is pretty solid.

jerseytom
09-21-2012, 05:02 PM
Diehl is a seasoned veteran, he sees the difference in the performance while hes out.

GFiP
09-21-2012, 05:09 PM
The first thing they will do is stretch his rehabilitation, say 6 weeks. By that time, we will have a better picture of where we're at in the "hunt" and how dominant the tackle tandem of Beatty and Locklear are. I assume they will be hard to replace by then and let's remember that unit cohesion is critical to success. In that case, Diehl will most likely be a 2 who they will "ease back into" the rotationNow let's not forget, Diehl is actually a guard who was pressed into service as a tackle so he does provide OLine versatility and, when healthy, a fresh set of legs who can still serve a positive role.But we don't know how he will rehabilitate and it's also possible IR is in his future. He hasn't served a positive role in 3 years.

miked1958
09-21-2012, 05:11 PM
It's no coincedence since Beatty came in and locklear we are now running a lot better

yatitle
09-21-2012, 05:12 PM
Assuming this line continues it stellar play, DIehl is the ultimate in depth. His versatility allows him to be the first backup at any position except center and if Baas gets hurt Boothe slides to center and DIehl inserted at LG. The reality is we need him for depth because if one of the tackles goes down we are in trouble.

jintsfan666
09-21-2012, 05:18 PM
Here's hoping DD is a slooow healer. That will preclude any kind of sentimental reinstatement of him to the offensive line.

funkybudda
09-21-2012, 05:23 PM
I hope he heals slowly keep what's working in place.

BeatYale
09-21-2012, 05:28 PM
Give him pom poms.

Enough said.

Tmurda1984
09-21-2012, 07:23 PM
Its David Diehl...he's going to heal at an incredible pace. That man will play with a broken neck, give up sacks and somehow will remain the starter. For Diehl to be a starter again, there must be something going on in the organization that we dont know about.

Maybe we can use him as a extra tight end in goaline situations.

DaKraken
09-21-2012, 07:48 PM
bench time until someone else gets injured

slipknottin
09-21-2012, 07:50 PM
Send him out to get the coffee. Just make sure he isnt drinking again.

Redeyejedi
09-21-2012, 07:55 PM
don't pretend that he'll just be inserted in the line because he was the 'starter'.

all kinds of football columnists when asked which team in the NFL is the most likely to have a walk on or UFA on the actual roster answer the Giants because the coaching staff just wants the best player based on practice and prep, period.

So if DD stays out, it means they're seeing better things with the current line up excluding him, if they put him back in, its because they think the improvement is due to something other than DD being out.

there's no question in my mind that this staff will make the choice based on who gives them the best chance to win.Didnt the Pats have like 18 of them last year

Redeyejedi
09-21-2012, 07:57 PM
The first thing they will do is stretch his rehabilitation, say 6 weeks. By that time, we will have a better picture of where we're at in the "hunt" and how dominant the tackle tandem of Beatty and Locklear are. I assume they will be hard to replace by then and let's remember that unit cohesion is critical to success. In that case, Diehl will most likely be a 2 who they will "ease back into" the rotation

Now let's not forget, Diehl is actually a guard who was pressed into service as a tackle so he does provide OLine versatility and, when healthy, a fresh set of legs who can still serve a positive role.

But we don't know how he will rehabilitate and it's also possible IR is in his future.Didnt look like a Guard last year

Laurah1275
09-21-2012, 08:06 PM
Send him out to get the coffee. Just make sure he isnt drinking again.LOL...hmmmm....was thinking the same

Laurah1275
09-21-2012, 08:06 PM
Give him pom poms.

Enough said.Picturing it...LMAO :)

Captain Chaos
09-22-2012, 10:02 AM
Make him a back up....

Fharcyde
09-22-2012, 03:42 PM
Has he played Center at all? Our offensive line doesn't seem to be able to stay intact for more than a couple weeks, unlike years back. I've been impressed with Boothe and of course Snee is the anchor of our line, but I remember Baas having some poor performances at the end of last season and we had Boothe come in for him at center and our running game improved quite a bit.

Either way it's a nice luxury to have Diehl as well as everyone else we have starting. I just don't see a starting spot for him unless someone's play declines or they get hurt.

joemorrisforprez
09-22-2012, 03:45 PM
I love DD and respect and appreciate everything that he's done for the Giants. That being said....

We all know that he's on the decline and if my memory serves me right the same thing kind of happened to O'Hara. I remember him being injured and then all of a sudden the offensive line started playing really well. When O'hara was supposedly healthy enough to play they put him back in the starting line up and it totally screwed up the chemistry with the team ultimately costing us the season. Do we do the same thing with Diehl or do we just stick with what's currently working? We know the Coughlin is a loyal guy but *I just don't want to see the saem thing happen again like it did a couple of years back.

Not to cop out......but I'm going to trust Coughlin, Flaherty, and Gilbride to have the best guys in the game.

I think the same holds true for Bradshaw and Andre Brown. Coughlin and his staff see a ton of stuff I don't.....so even though I'm thrilled at how the running game has improved, I can't tell for sure how much has been the result of Diehl and Bradshaw being out.

Personally, I think it has more to do with Andre Brown being in than David Diehl being out.....but that's just my amateur fan opinion.

fansince69
09-22-2012, 03:47 PM
Not to cop out......but I'm going to trust Coughlin, Flaherty, and Gilbride to have the best guys in the game.

I think the same holds true for Bradshaw and Andre Brown. Coughlin and his staff see a ton of stuff I don't.....so even though I'm thrilled at how the running game has improved, I can't tell for sure how much has been the result of Diehl and Bradshaw being out.

Personally, I think it has more to do with Andre Brown being in than David Diehl being out.....but that's just my amateur fan opinion.

I totally agree...that's why we have a coaching staff.....fyi I am more of the belief its because DD is out and the backs are fine either way