PDA

View Full Version : Will we be able to resign Bennett after turning him into a stud?

NYG4lifeNYK
09-21-2012, 06:15 PM
Or will we lose him :(

I loved the contract we signed him to... now not so much........ "prove me" might turn into "pay me" :eek:

Yes he is STUD, 3 games is 3 games. He's always had the talent just didn't have the coaching, focus, determination or opportunity... did I mention coaching?

Eli makes everyone around him better but Bennett is a very good TE, with a world of upside.

Giants5699
09-21-2012, 06:30 PM
It depends. It seems he has started a lot of good relationships here. Maybe he'd be willing to sign 4-5 years at 4.5 mil per. I see Canty, T2, and Diehl getting the axe this offseason though which will free up a fair amount of space.

funkybudda
09-21-2012, 06:34 PM
if he continues at the pace that he's been going, he will be very expensive. I doubt he returns in Giants uniform.

BigBlueAllDay
09-21-2012, 06:35 PM
Superbowl Repeat comes first....

myles2424
09-21-2012, 06:37 PM
With Kp,Cruz,JPP,& Nicks on deck, keeping Bennet & Rivers after this season may be unlikely..

Giants5699
09-21-2012, 06:44 PM
JPP, Nicks, and Cruz will be getting big deals...
Nicks I see getting 7 years, 56 mil
Cruz getting the same
JPP getting 10 years 100 mil.
KP is looking at 4 years 15 mil.
Rolle is probably looking at a restructure
Canty, Diehl, and T2 cut
Osi is going to walk
Re-sign on of Kiwi or Rivers (though Kiwi has taken less to stay here before)
Tynes will also be getting an extension.. 5 years 7 mil I expect.
Eli will restructure too probably...
And I will not be surprised of Bradshaw gets cut...

The_ One
09-21-2012, 06:45 PM
Eli has made Bennet what he is, just like Smith and Boss, have you heard anything from those two when they left the Giants. Just like Ernie said, this kid makes everyone better, when Ernie went to Ole Miss to watch Eli he noticed that Eli had no NFL talent around him and he still had them playing at a high level. So how is Ole Miss doing since Eli left.

CDN_G-FAN
09-21-2012, 06:51 PM
meh, i'd be nervous signing him to a big number anyway.

he spent alot of time in dallas under the cloud of lack of disipline and commitment.

it would be hard to give him a huge payday after only one year where he had to really sing for his supper.

ESPECIALLY when we've got guys that none of us (nicks, cruz, jpp, tuck) would have the same questions about and ALL of them are due really huge paydays.

call me crazy, i'm skeptical when a guy has spent 5 years in the league and the one year that will primarily determine what he'll get on his next long term deal is the only year he really shows up.

Hooligans
09-21-2012, 07:04 PM

I loved the contract we signed him to... now not so much........ "prove me" might turn into "pay me" :eek:

Yes he is STUD, 3 games is 3 games. He's always had the talent just didn't have the coaching, focus, determination or opportunity... did I mention coaching?

Eli makes everyone around him better but Bennett is a very good TE, with a world of upside. NO, the Giants will get yet another nobody and make them a very good TE - just like Boss.

Eliscruzzz
09-21-2012, 07:07 PM
JPP, Nicks, and Cruz will be getting big deals...
Nicks I see getting 7 years, 56 mil
Cruz getting the same
JPP getting 10 years 100 mil.
KP is looking at 4 years 15 mil.
Rolle is probably looking at a restructure
Canty, Diehl, and T2 cut
Osi is going to walk
Re-sign on of Kiwi or Rivers (though Kiwi has taken less to stay here before)
Tynes will also be getting an extension.. 5 years 7 mil I expect.
Eli will restructure too probably...
And I will not be surprised of Bradshaw gets cut...can this even be done with our salary cap situation?

jomo
09-21-2012, 07:10 PM
He'll probably be gone. Cap room is tight and we need help on the OL badly. We'll find a serviceable TE and roll with it. It could be Robinson who knows and Pascoe is a solid back-up.

rainierjef
09-21-2012, 07:13 PM
Draft a TE. Got some great guys for this system coming into the draft this year.

RoanokeFan
09-21-2012, 07:14 PM

Eli makes everyone around him better but Bennett is a very good TE, with a world of upside.

Why would be need Bennett? Beckum will be back next season. :cool:

CDN_G-FAN
09-21-2012, 07:15 PM
can this even be done with our salary cap situation?

ain't that the question of the decade..........

Giants5699
09-21-2012, 07:22 PM
can this even be done with our salary cap situation?

Depends... Canty, Diehl, Bradshaw, and T2 take up a lot of room. CWebb might even be getting a restructure as well.

RoanokeFan
09-21-2012, 07:30 PM
Depends... Canty, Diehl, Bradshaw, and T2 take up a lot of room. CWebb might even be getting a restructure as well.

I don't see Diehl or T2 being an issue next season

FIFTY6G-MAN
09-21-2012, 07:33 PM
I think Bennett will stay with us for a short term contract. Not sure on amount of money though. When he became a Giant, him he was playing behind one of the best TE's in the NFL and was not able to show his stuff. I believe if we have a great season, he will return the favor and stay for a bit.

slipknottin
09-21-2012, 07:36 PM
They pretty much have to find a way to keep him, hes still only 25. Hes only 8 months older than Cruz. Hasent even hit his prime yet. Best blocking TE in the league, now becoming a top receiver.... Those guys dont grow on trees. The giants have been trying to find a top TE since shockey became a moron.

slipknottin
09-21-2012, 07:38 PM
In related news, Im glad folks have stopped saying that the giants offense doesnt feature a TE... Seems the giants offense involves a TE plenty, just hasent had a TE that good to throw to often.

river555
09-21-2012, 07:39 PM
I agree. And dont forget Ballard

RoanokeFan
09-21-2012, 07:41 PM
They pretty much have to find a way to keep him, hes still only 25. Hes only 8 months older than Cruz. Hasent even hit his prime yet. Best blocking TE in the league, now becoming a top receiver.... Those guys dont grow on trees. The giants have been trying to find a top TE since shockey became a moron.

Slip, I'd like to add the NFL game day segment, to include snap counts, to the daily news thread but have had no success finding yesterday's version Is it possible it's not out yet?. I saved the link you provided on the last game, but I suspect that was just for that game.

RoanokeFan
09-21-2012, 07:42 PM
In related news, Im glad folks have stopped saying that the giants offense doesnt feature

TE... Seems the giants offense involves a TE plenty, just hasent had a TE that good to throw to often.

Or they needed more blocking with the Oline in tatters?

slipknottin
09-21-2012, 07:48 PM
Slip, I'd like to add the NFL game day segment, to include snap counts, to the daily news thread but have had no success finding yesterday's version Is it possible it's not out yet?. I saved the link you provided on the last game, but I suspect that was just for that game.

Nfl made them for media only. Fortunately they think im media. I have the snap counts in a pdf. Want me to send it to you? Or shall I start a new thread with all the data?

RoanokeFan
09-21-2012, 07:53 PM
Nfl made them for media only. Fortunately they think im media. I have the snap counts in a pdf. Want me to send it to you? Or shall I start a new thread with all the data?

Either is fine. If it's OK, I will copy and paste an excerpt into the news thread. Can you also send the link or is that forbidden?

FIFTY6G-MAN
09-21-2012, 07:54 PM
In related news, Im glad folks have stopped saying that the giants offense doesnt feature a TE... Seems the giants offense involves a TE plenty, just hasent had a TE that good to throw to often.Well, Slip, we have had some very good TE's in the last decade. You mentioned Shockey already, Boss was very good but Eli always seemed to throw too high to him and he suffered many concussions, Jake Ballard although never catching a TD with us he was instrumental in sustaining drives and also was a decent blocker.

No we have never really had a FEATURED TE since Shockey, or I would be more comfortable saying since Bavaro, but I get were you're coming from

dave56dj
09-21-2012, 07:54 PM
Bennett is a far superior athlete and physical specimen then Ballard or boss - he is a very good tight end. But reese always has a number either you take it or you move on. Robinson is a project but if bennett flies the coup at the end of the year so be it. Again i think he is certainly worth more then ballard or boss but cruz jpp and hakeem are all MUST signs.

Personally i think canty goes eventually and dare i say it ROLLE too. I think hill will take his spot unless he renegotiates. Love Cweb too but here come hosley and prince (yes yes its too early) but one thing depth provides is cap protection from vets who have big deals. To me no one is safe but 88 80 10 and 90 - THATS IT.

drewz
09-21-2012, 07:55 PM
Diehl has a cap hit of 7.4M in 2013, that is simply god awful..

I'm guessing if Bennett is re-signed, it's gonna be a standard contract with low guarantee money and probably structured like Aaron Hernandez's contract

slipknottin
09-21-2012, 07:55 PM
Either is fine. If it's OK, I will copy and paste an excerpt into the news thread. Can you also send the link or is that forbidden?

Its on a login only website. Ill post it in a thread and feel free to copy whatever into the news

slipknottin
09-21-2012, 07:57 PM
Well, Slip, we have had some very good TE's in the last decade. You mentioned Shockey already, Boss was very good but Eli always seemed to throw too high to him and he suffered many concussions, Jake Ballard although never catching a TD with us he was instrumental in sustaining drives and also was a decent blocker.

No we have never really had a FEATURED TE since Shockey, or I would be more comfortable saying since Bavaro, but I get were you're coming from
[COLOR=#373737][FONT=Droid Sans]

None of the other TEs you mentioned, including Shockey were close to the physical talent Bennett has. Shockey was closest, but he also had all sorts of trouble being on the same page as Eli. Boss, Ballard, Pascoe, etc. could not beat man coverage by a LB or safety. They found open areas in zones and settled down, but that was about it. Bennett is the first guy who can go up one on one against a CB, safety, Lb, whoever, and win that matchup.

RoanokeFan
09-21-2012, 07:57 PM
Its on a login only website. Ill post it in a thread and feel free to copy whatever into the news

Great, thanks much

Tmurda1984
09-21-2012, 07:58 PM

I'm guessing if Bennett is re-signed, it's gonna be a standard contract with low guarantee money and probably structured like Aaron Hernandez's contract

Diehl and Chris Canty has to go. We need to draft another tackle, and find another defensive tackle that stays healthy and worth his contract. Bennett is playing well but we have a long season to go before we start thinking about signing him to a long term deal....so of the bonehead plays in the past are hard to forget.

ozzie0075
09-21-2012, 09:04 PM

If Bennett continues to play they way he has, he will be looking for pretty big guaranteed dollars. He is only 25 and very good in both the pass and run games. A huge season could price him out reach for the Giants.

Carter.525
09-21-2012, 09:04 PM
after signing JPP, Nicks & Cruz.. I would love to bring back the Unicorn