PDA

View Full Version : Who Do We Resign Next Year

NYGfanNC
09-22-2012, 11:02 AM
We have a bunch of young talent. We're not going to be able to keep everyone, who do you think stays, and who do you think goes?

Captain Chaos
09-22-2012, 11:04 AM
Kenny Phillips has done well for us, he is someone that I would like to keep.

juice33s
09-22-2012, 11:11 AM
Victor Cruz, and Andre Brown are looking pretty important right now

KP, Bennett and Beatty as well

jomo
09-22-2012, 11:15 AM
Victor Cruz, and Andre Brown are looking pretty important right now

KP, Bennett and Beatty as wellBennett may not make it. Eli's making him too expensive given our OL needs. Also not so sure about Beatty. The price will have to be right. He is injured an awful lot and his current problem (back) is a real bad thing for a 325 pound OL. If those concerns knock down his price then maybe it will be a good value otherwise, redeploy the money into a healthy guy.

ozzie0075
09-22-2012, 11:16 AM
Some tough decisions have to be made in the off-season. I expect some highly paid vets to be cut as well. Probably looking at Canty and Diehl. Some surprise cuts I could see happening could be AB and Baas.

juice33s
09-22-2012, 11:21 AM
In terms of importance I'd rank it like this:
1. Victor Cruz- Most receiving yards EVER in a single season by a NYG...enough said

2. Will Beatty- Talent wise he isn't better then the other players, but he plays a premier position and we have no obvious replacement on the roster at the moment...Plus I think he could be brought back at a pretty reasonable price to protect our franchises blind side.

3. Andre Brown- With a suddenly dangerous running game, Eli looks all the more lethal...However Brown could play his way out of the Giants price range considering we have a 1st round pick invested behind him

4. Bennett- Looks like a TD machine with his size and athleticism in the red zone, but drops on the list due to inconsistencies and Eli's ability to make anyone look good at the TE position.

5. KP- Doesn't play a premiere position and doesn't appear to be a true difference maker, however could be brought back at a reasonable price

drewz
09-22-2012, 11:22 AM
Nah.. Baas won't be cut, dude is starting to play well.. No O'Hara, but he's playing better.. lets hope he can continue the trend upward

Diehl, maybe Canty are definitely on the bubble for next year tho

ozzie0075
09-22-2012, 11:25 AM
1. Victor Cruz- Most receiving yards EVER in a single season by a NYG...enough said

2. Will Beatty- Talent wise he isn't better then the other players, but he plays a premier position and we have no obvious replacement on the roster at the moment...Plus I think he could be brought back at a pretty reasonable price to protect our franchises blind side.

3. Andre Brown- With a suddenly dangerous running game, Eli looks all the more lethal...However Brown could play his way out of the Giants price range considering we have a 1st round pick invested behind him

4. Bennett- Looks like a TD machine with his size and athleticism in the red zone, but drops on the list due to inconsistencies and Eli's ability to make anyone look good at the TE position.

5. KP- Doesn't play a premiere position and doesn't appear to be a true difference maker, however could be brought back at a reasonable price

This list is pretty much right on. I'm pretty high on Beatty. As long as he can stay healthy this season he needs to be resigned and will come at a much better price then any of the top LT that will be available.

KP I fear is going to want more than what the Giants can pay for him. Safety is a position where you can draft a guy that can play right away so I think KP is gone unless he gives the Giants a big discount.

craigjr007
09-22-2012, 11:27 AM

kp not a difference make?? come on

have to resign cruz, kp, bennett for sure... wouldnt be sad to see bradshaw go IF andre brown stays consistent as he has past 2 games...diehl can go, and possibly canty if austin gets better

ozzie0075
09-22-2012, 11:32 AM

have to resign cruz, kp, bennett for sure... wouldnt be sad to see bradshaw go IF andre brown stays consistent as he has past 2 games...diehl can go, and possibly canty if austin gets better

If Bennett continues his good play it may price out of reach for the Giants. Can't resign them all especially with Nicks needing a new deal after next season. You will have to pay both Cruz and Nicks like top a top 10 Wr. Bennett seems like the odd man out unless he is willing to take less to stay.

juice33s
09-22-2012, 11:34 AM

Not many safeties are, its the lowest paid position on Defense for a reason

drewz
09-22-2012, 12:36 PM
Not many safeties are, its the lowest paid position on Defense for a reason

Not if you're Antrel Rolle, whose the highest paid defensive player on the Giants.

Crovaz
09-22-2012, 12:50 PM
No mention of Hakeem Nicks?

I wouldn't break the bank on Kenny Phillips, he's average at best. I've never seen him do much of anything except come in 2 seconds after the play has ended.

With that being said, you have to resign all the young talent on the team and let the vets walk. We're already up against the salary cap as it is so we'll have to make some tough decisions. The young guys are the bedrock of this team and I think we need to resign them all, at least, within reason. No need to break the bank on some of these guys that are fringe players.

juice33s
09-22-2012, 12:57 PM

I wouldn't break the bank on Kenny Phillips, he's average at best. I've never seen him do much of anything except come in 2 seconds after the play has ended.

With that being said, you have to resign all the young talent on the team and let the vets walk. We're already up against the salary cap as it is so we'll have to make some tough decisions. The young guys are the bedrock of this team and I think we need to resign them all, at least, within reason. No need to break the bank on some of these guys that are fringe players.
Nicks won't be a FA till 2014, I think most in this thread were talking about next years FA's

Captain Chaos
09-22-2012, 12:58 PM
Here a couple of other contracts that will expire...

Tynes: 1.3 M
Rivers: .65 M
Blackburn: .85 M
Rocky Bernard: .95 M
Kevin Boothe: 1.5 M
Petrus: .54 M
Beckum: .65 M
Pascoe: .615 M
Bennett: .975 M
Barden: .615 M
Hixon: .615 M
Cruz: .54 M
Brown: .465 M
Carr: .925 M

Need to sign Carr again he allows us to carry just two QBs.

Big money contracts in 13
Eli: 13 M
Bradshaw: 3.75 M
Nicks: 2.425 M
Diehl: 4.1 M
Snee: 6.45 M
Baas: 4.25 M
Tuck: 4.5 M
Canty: 6.25 M
Kiwi: 2.95 M
Webster: 7 M
Rolle: 7 M

May have to adjust some salaries....

fansince69
09-22-2012, 01:19 PM
Here a couple of other contracts that will expire...

Tynes: 1.3 M
Rivers: .65 M
Blackburn: .85 M
Rocky Bernard: .95 M
Kevin Boothe: 1.5 M
Petrus: .54 M
Beckum: .65 M
Pascoe: .615 M
Bennett: .975 M
Barden: .615 M
Hixon: .615 M
Cruz: .54 M
Brown: .465 M
Carr: .925 M

Need to sign Carr again he allows us to carry just two QBs.

Big money contracts in 13
Eli: 13 M
Bradshaw: 3.75 M
Knicks: 2.425 M
Diehl: 4.1 M
Snee: 6.45 M
Baas: 4.25 M
Tuck: 4.5 M
Canty: 6.25 M
Kiwi: 2.95 M
Webster: 7 M
Rolle: 7 M

May have to adjust some salaries....

Isn't KNICKS a basketball team....at least have the courtesy to call him hicks like everyone else...lol

j/k that is good info

Crovaz
09-22-2012, 01:25 PM
Nicks won't be a FA till 2014, I think most in this thread were talking about next years FA's

Yeah but after another 1k yard season, barring injuries of course, you can almost bet he'll want a new contract.

BlueSanta
09-22-2012, 01:50 PM
I believe part of this discussion is not just who do we resign, but who is in danger of being cut next year in order to do so.

Guys like Diehl, Canty, Webster, and Rolle are all part of this conversation, especially considering how much they make.

There are rumors that Canty's knee surgery was far more intricate than he initially indicated. He has refused to answer the question directly, but it is widely suggested that he had microfracture surgery. If that is true, he is likely not going to play this year. Considering about 1/3-1/4 of all people who have this surgery never play again in a meaningful manner, I think his $6.5 million salary in 2013 will certainly make him either a restructure candidate or a flat cut candidate.

juice33s
09-22-2012, 01:55 PM
I believe part of this discussion is not just who do we resign, but who is in danger of being cut next year in order to do so.

Guys like Diehl, Canty, Webster, and Rolle are all part of this conversation, especially considering how much they make.

There are rumors that Canty's knee surgery was far more intricate than he initially indicated. He has refused to answer the question directly, but it is widely suggested that he had microfracture surgery. If that is true, he is likely not going to play this year. Considering about 1/3-1/4 of all people who have this surgery never play again in a meaningful manner, I think his $6.5 million salary in 2013 will certainly make him either a restructure candidate or a flat cut candidate.
Right when Deihl went down, i basically saw it as he was done as a Giant...Probably won't happen till the offseason, but its inevitable

RagTime Blue
09-22-2012, 01:59 PM
I think Nicks will be RFA, and not until after NEXT season. . .which allows JR some protection. Cruz and DJax didn't hold out making .5Mil. Do you think Nicks does at 2.5Mil? Not worried about Nicks.

Nobody mentioned #72. Any thoughts?

NYG4lifeNYK
09-22-2012, 01:59 PM

lol you are clueless

juice33s
09-22-2012, 02:03 PM
I think Nicks will be RFA, and not until after NEXT season. . .which allows JR some protection. Cruz and DJax didn't hold out making .5Mil. Do you think Nicks does at 2.5Mil? Not worried about Nicks.

Osi's best years are behind him, I don't notice him pressing the edge with any consistency this season, so imo it appears he's lost a step. I think it would be the Giants best interest not to overpay him and look for a younger replacement in next years draft

drewz
09-22-2012, 02:18 PM

Please don't compare Nicks and Cruz to an idiot like DeSean Jackson. Of course I don't know them personally, but going by his demeanor and the way he comes off in interviews, Nicks doesn't come across someone who would hold out, Cruz as well.

BTW, Cruz is a RFA after this year, Nicks is an UFA the year after.

RagTime Blue
09-22-2012, 02:27 PM
Please don't compare Nicks and Cruz to an idiot like DeSean Jackson. Of course I don't know them personally, but going by his demeanor and the way he comes off in interviews, Nicks doesn't come across someone who would hold out, Cruz as well.

BTW, Cruz is a RFA after this year, Nicks is an UFA the year after.

Was strictly talking about the business part of the game and numbers. Thanks for the correction though, I had Cruz and Nicks' situations reversed.

If that's the case, JR has all this year and next to sign Nicks to an extension. No disrespect to the job Nicks has done, but I'm sure JR wants to see just what he's got before he buys it. I'm talking mostly about injuries and durability. JR will not overpay, and this is a business.

Would love to see #88 here long-term, of course. Hope everyone can be made happy with that situation.

gumby74
09-22-2012, 03:34 PM
I think we'll be able to re-sign someone to 1 big money contract and that's it. I don't see us keeping KP when we have Rolle. Having 2 solid safeties is a luxury these days. Heck, Gibril Wilson got 5 million a year, and KP is much better than Wilson was.

penguinfarmer
09-22-2012, 03:39 PM
Who ever will help us threepeat in front of a home crowd.

Fharcyde
09-22-2012, 04:11 PM
Anyone remember the days of C.C. Brown and Michael Johnson? Anyone who thinks Kenny Phillips isn't an important part of this defense is silly. He might not be the ballhawk everyone looks for, but it's kind of hard when he has to play deep over the top because we're so thin at the cornerback position. He and Rolle are probably better than any of our corners. He's going to be looking for a big contract, but I think it's important that we make an honest effort to re-sign him.

If anything I can see Antrel Rolle either having to re-structure his contract or becoming a cap casualty cut. The same goes with Chris Canty.

Victor Cruz would be on top of the list with Kenny Phillips. I think Martellus Bennett would be next and then Will Beatty could be re-signed, hopefully at a cheap price. I'm hoping of these guys will take a hometown discount and give us some extra room for the others, but we all know how rare that is. I think building a fierce defense year after year should be the first priority. Then get Eli some protection and he'll make just about anyone look like a star on offense.

The Notorious B.I.G BLUE
09-22-2012, 05:41 PM
We gotta resign Cruz he is a playmaker and on of the more high profile guys on the team.

1 thing I hope though is that Bennett has the brains to see what's happend to these other players once they left (smith & boss) of course he's gonna want his money but hopefully he is able to meet us half way.

Brown is gone unless he signs for another year like Ward did afew years ago...in that case the Giants would probably have to do something with Bradshaw.

river555
09-22-2012, 07:08 PM
Giants usually do a good job resiging our players w drafted that have performed well with big contracts....Deihl, Snee, Tuck, Osi, Webster, TT, BJ, Bradshaw, Kiwi, so i think we'll resign Phillips. He was a #1 pick is playing well and is only 26. Then of course Cruz. those 2 contracts will be big so salary cap may become an issue and some cuts or restructuring may be done. - Bass, Deihl, Canty, Rolle.
Beatty and Bennet will depend on Cap Space and what kind of contracts they are looking for and what other teams may offer.
Andre Brown??? Come on...we havent seen enough yet. Plus, we have Wilson who is a NUMEBR ONE Pick. He will get better and become the # 2 back behind AB. Or #1 in a year or 2.

giantsfan420
09-22-2012, 09:03 PM
maybe we should look at the biggest cap hits, find the players who havent earned it, then draft their replacements in the next draft and start those rookies at the spots we had to release some expenses. we'd have a few players on both side of the ball that would be pretty big liabilities, but we could keep the core group of contributing all stars to overcome it

giantsfan420
09-22-2012, 09:05 PM
like off my head (and for the record i dont want to release any of these guys,w ell maybe baas lol but nah just an example post)

rd 1 S to replace roll
rd 2 DT to replace canty (plus we have austin too to pair wth L.Joseph so that loss may not hurt us)
rd 3 C to replace Baas and his contract

like any variation along those lines. we'd free up a ton of cap room to keep the guys we have to keep, and those guys would have to ensure we can cover up some weaknesses from starting rookies but just an idea to ponder

blueNorange
09-22-2012, 09:23 PM
well you'd think guys like thomas, baas, and diehl will get cut with canty and webster also being a slight possibility

you re-sign cruz and phillips, those are musts.

you don't re-sign bennett, i'm sorry but all he's proving is that eli makes people look good. he did it with boss, he did it with ballard, and he's now doing it with bennett

you re-sign beatty if the price is right

giantsfan420
09-22-2012, 09:26 PM
cruz nicks phillips beatty n bennett are must re-signs. then locklear, brown and a few others if the price is right

Crovaz
09-22-2012, 10:04 PM
lol you are clueless

Please. Name one game where he made an impact during the game. Last one I can remember is when he had 2 picks versus the cowboys. Otherwise, he's been pretty invisible his entire career. He's an average safety, nothing more, nothing less. Don't make it out like he's a probowler.

RagTime Blue
09-22-2012, 10:22 PM
I think Kenny Phillips is a good player, but I also think that what happened to T2 may affect how JR proceeds with KP.

Phillips has a degenerative, arthritic disease in his knee. I'm certainly no doctor, but this could flare up again in the future.

I could see a situation where another team (with more cap space) swoops in with more gauranteed $$, and we lose him. Therefore, I feel that if he makes it to open free agency, he's a goner.

Good news is that he'll play his butt off (i mean inspired football) for us to put the pressure on JR.

Win/Win situation in my book.

giantsfan420
09-22-2012, 11:15 PM
crovaz- u do realize KP was like a top 3 graded S last season right, and I bet he'll repeat that at the least this year as well

krygny
09-22-2012, 11:47 PM
I like to enjoy the football season while it's here. I don't think about FA signings or the draft until the season is over. If I was in the Giants personnel department and I got paid to think about it, I think about it all year round. Fortunately for the Giants, that's not the case.

BROADWAYSTORM
09-22-2012, 11:52 PM

BBI say Osi is signed for next season as well.

Cruz is a must.

Beatty can go bye bye, chronic back problems are chronic.

Snee, Rolle, Diehl and Baas all need pay cuts. I was gonna say Boley as well but what the hell he's playing like a beat right now. Damn our linebackers are awesome right now with Williams and Rivers both coming off the bench.

Canty = Bye

Resign Bennett and Phillips (He is awesome I don't know why you people think he is overrated, he is our second best DB if not the best).

penguinfarmer
09-23-2012, 07:08 AM
Osi isn't signed for next year. There is an option, but one that would have to be negotiated.

Beatty stays whether you like him or not. LTs don't grow on trees.

I doubt Bennett gets resigned.

Two players took genuine paycuts. Brandon Jacobs and David Diehl. I doubt all of those others will, and it's unlikely Diehl would again.

drewz
09-23-2012, 07:45 AM
Diehl doesn't need a paycut, Diehl needs to be CUT

Captain Chaos
09-23-2012, 07:56 AM
Osi isn't signed for next year. There is an option, but one that would have to be negotiated.

Beatty stays whether you like him or not. LTs don't grow on trees.

I doubt Bennett gets resigned.

Two players took genuine paycuts. Brandon Jacobs and David Diehl. I doubt all of those others will, and it's unlikely Diehl would again.

I agree that Beatty gets signed next year, if he continues to perform well and he does have a reasonable contract. Bennett is a tough one, Think he may stick for the right price (I think his ego and personality fit the New York atmosphere). Diehl is likely gone next year, the injury and production were just not there. I don't know but Baas may be another one on the bubble, however, he did play better last week.

penguinfarmer
09-23-2012, 08:06 AM
For Bennett, I've always just assumed he was a stopgap. If he keeps up this pace, he will command a rate that I just don't think the Giants can afford. I wouldn't put it past him to stay cheaper as he has an opportunity here that he probably wouldn't get on another team.

Two guys I've consistently mentioned are Canty and Boley. And it has nothing to do with who they are as players as they are obviously valuable to what the Giants do. However, if the cap becomes a precarious situation, you simply ask yourself is either of them worth losing a Cruz or Joseph or Phillips.

Boley in particular has been playing great for us for some time, but with three potential backups behind him at a far greater rate, it becomes strictly business. These are the guys you avoid restructuring even though they can potentially save a lot, as those altered contracts make it hardest to void either through waiving or trading.

In the end, it's a situation I pay some attention to, but would rather not focus on in a season where we are still contending for a repeat. A million and one things can happen from injuries to players rising/falling to new NFL contracts that will increase the revenue for spending that will alter this conversation dramatically in a span of just a few months.