PDA

View Full Version : David Wilson is our CJ Spiller

Mr. G-Man
09-22-2012, 11:47 AM
The bills had the same expectations for Spiller that the Giants now have for Wilson. Spiller never had much of an impact coming off the bench as a situational back-up to Fred Jackson. But now that he is forced to be the every down back, his play is flourishing. I'm not saying make Wilson an every down back, but lets not pass so much judgement on whether he is a bust or not until he has been given that same opportunity. In all fairness, everyone knows how eager the Giants are to get Wilson the ball. So it's quite clear that defenses are keying in on David when he's in the game, which drastically lowers his chances for success. Give the lad some time and his talent will soon shine.

JSpin
09-22-2012, 11:52 AM
He's the type of guy that can get a lot of negative runs but all he needs is one seam and he's gone. Hasn't had many opportunities to do that yet.

RagTime Blue
09-22-2012, 12:04 PM
He's flashed a-plenty enough for me to know he's going to be a very good back. I just don't think he's as NFL-ready as many on here thought.

slipknottin
09-22-2012, 12:09 PM
He just needs to get his pass blocking down.

He wont see the field until then. If Eli does not trust him out there, he cant change plays and expect Wilson to do what he needs to do. So Wilson just wont play much except for a handful of designed plays for him a game.

moosedrool
09-22-2012, 12:54 PM
With the way Andre is running and our passing game is clicking, the Giants have the luxury of patience with Wilson. Don't expect to see him much unless both AB's are hurt.

Captain Chaos
09-22-2012, 01:01 PM
I think this kid will be great, he'll need a little more than three cameo appearances to get this Offense down. By mid season I think he will be wowing us...

BlueSanta
09-22-2012, 01:29 PM
He just needs to get his pass blocking down.

He wont see the field until then. If Eli does not trust him out there, he cant change plays and expect Wilson to do what he needs to do. So Wilson just wont play much except for a handful of designed plays for him a game.

----^

Mr. G-Man
09-22-2012, 02:18 PM
id like to see him run more flare routes, shovel passes and screens. treat this kid like LaSean McCoy.

Snappinnecks
09-22-2012, 02:20 PM
Let him learn slowly. I can see him coming along just like Bradshaw did in last quarter of the 2007 season. Let's just count our blessing we have Bradshaw, Brown, AND Wilson.

GMan-67
09-22-2012, 03:08 PM
The bills had the same expectations for Spiller that the Giants now have for Wilson. Spiller never had much of an impact coming off the bench as a situational back-up to Fred Jackson. But now that he is forced to be the every down back, his play is flourishing. I'm not saying make Wilson an every down back, but lets not pass so much judgement on whether he is a bust or not until he has been given that same opportunity. In all fairness, everyone knows how eager the Giants are to get Wilson the ball. So it's quite clear that defenses are keying in on David when he's in the game, which drastically lowers his chances for success. Give the lad some time and his talent will soon shine.

hmmm, i'll sign up for that ... but still would love to have him emerge a litte sooner

now, call me BLUE, but i see him breaking a KR for 7 !!!

Neverend
09-22-2012, 03:10 PM
CJ Spiller's really coming on btw. The guy just flat out dominated the ACC like crazy, it was only a matter of time his talents would be on display in the nfl granted the sample size. Still very happy with JPP

Giantz4Life
09-22-2012, 03:42 PM
I think this is a good comparison, and it looks like the progression of each guy may end up being similar. Speedster, home run hitters that just weren't NFL ready in their rookie years.

I remember how badly so many members on this board wanted Da'Rel Scott heavily involved in the offense last year.

RoanokeFan
09-22-2012, 04:28 PM
I think this is a good comparison, and it looks like the progression of each guy may end up being similar. Speedster, home run hitters that just weren't NFL ready in their rookie years.

I remember how badly so many members on this board wanted Da'Rel Scott heavily involved in the offense last year.

We want instant gratification in a situation where player development depends on each individual player. Everyone we draft can't be an ovenight sesnation but I am pretty sure Wilson we be a play maker before too long.

TheEnigma
09-22-2012, 04:31 PM
Good analogy. It was mentioned here by a few folks that Wilson was a bit raw coming out of college with running technique and pass blocking so him needing more development isn't all that shocking to me. I still think we will see something special from him in the 2nd half of the season at one point.

joemorrisforprez
09-22-2012, 04:32 PM
My biggest worry heading into the season:

1) Jacobs was gone.
2) Bradshaw is always injured, and likely lost a step.
3) DJ Ware is......DJ Ware
4) Da'Rell Scott might be just all speed

Now, here's my take:

1) Andre Brown might be the answer for Brandon Jacobs
2) Still haven't changed my view on Bradshaw
3) DJ Ware has been replaced by a 1st round draft pick that will grow into the job.
4) Da'Rell Scott hasn't gotten much work, but he's always an option in an emergency, and is a good special teamer.

joemorrisforprez
09-22-2012, 04:35 PM
Good analogy. It was mentioned here by a few folks that Wilson was a bit raw coming out of college with running technique and pass blocking so him needing more development isn't all that shocking to me. I still think we will see something special from him in the 2nd half of the season at one point.

I agree.

Seems like the running backs are in good shape. I'm no longer worried about Bradshaw staying healthy, because frankly, Andre Brown has looked great for the past 2 weeks, and we've got a 1st round pick that is ready to go if we give him the chance. And also, Da'Rell Scott might be another sleeper.