PDA

View Full Version : GREEN Zone!

GCGiant
09-22-2012, 12:47 PM
My biggest concern with the Giants today lies on the offensive side of the ball, or to be more specific, their GREEN zone attack. It seems that once they get to FG range, it becomes the RED zone, as we are more familiar with...but in this case red means STOP. They seem to be content to convert to conservative play-calling to insure that they don't miss-out on the 3. With a great defense, this could be the way to go, as 2 SB's in 5 years might suggest.

I believe that getting the 7 on the 1st drive instead of the 3 might have made the difference in the game. They set the tone.

I would like to see them open it up just a little down there and let the chips fall where they fall....especially on that opening drive.

TextureDj
09-22-2012, 01:32 PM
Very frustrating how often we come away from a stellar drive with three. Not sure it is the result of conservative play calling though. Your playbook naturally gets thined out down there due to the short field.

Not sure what we need to see more production down there, hopefully the coaching staff has some options, becasue I was still throwing **** at my TV at the end of more than a few drives when I was ecstatic for the 4 minutes leading up to it.

giantsforce
09-22-2012, 04:33 PM
Very frustrating how often we come away from a stellar drive with three. Not sure it is the result of conservative play calling though. Your playbook naturally gets thined out down there due to the short field.

Not sure what we need to see more production down there, hopefully the coaching staff has some options, becasue I was still throwing **** at my TV at the end of more than a few drives when I was ecstatic for the 4 minutes leading up to it.5 FG's instead of TD's from inside the 20 is a reason for concern. Then again, knowing Killdrive's playcalling in the "green/red" zone does not suprise me a bit that we cannot score TD's.

slipknottin
09-22-2012, 04:40 PM
Its not the play calling thats the problem, its the offensive system. The run & shoot has always been an offense that excels between the 20s, but has trouble in the redzone. The option routes that the system provides do not function well when there is less space on the field.

Bennett and a solid run game can help a lot, I think.

Fharcyde
09-22-2012, 04:43 PM
Nothing hurt more than Boley returning Tony Romo's interception inside the ten yard line and us having to kick a field goal instead of getting a touchdown. Leave it to Gilbride's sneak attack draw plays.

fansince69
09-22-2012, 04:45 PM
Its not the play calling thats the problem, its the offensive system. The run & shoot has always been an offense that excels between the 20s, but has trouble in the redzone. The option routes that the system provides do not function well when there is less space on the field.

Bennett and a solid run game can help a lot, I think.

I never thought about this...nice observation

giantsforce
09-22-2012, 04:56 PM

Bennett and a solid run game can help a lot, I think.So? Knowing this, why don't we change the system down there? It all comes to play calling and defenses have figured out KG's play calling inside the 20.

slipknottin
09-22-2012, 05:02 PM
So? Knowing this, why don't we change the system down there? It all comes to play calling and defenses have figured out KG's play calling inside the 20.

Its not just a play calling thing. The option routes are what makes the giants offense so deadly and so efficient. Receivers react to defensive calls and adjust what routes they run to get open. In the endzone all that happens faster, there is less space.

There are some things they can do. Designed rollouts actually work well down there, they cut half the field down, but they open up lanes that wouldnt exist from the pocket.

Really a large part of the giants inability to score in the redzone has been a lack of a solid running game.

On the other hand, the giants have one of the best redzone defenses in the league too.

giantsforce
09-22-2012, 05:08 PM
Its not just a play calling thing. The option routes are what makes the giants offense so deadly and so efficient. Receivers react to defensive calls and adjust what routes they run to get open. In the endzone all that happens faster, there is less space.

There are some things they can do. Designed rollouts actually work well down there, they cut half the field down, but they open up lanes that wouldnt exist from the pocket.

Really a large part of the giants inability to score in the redzone has been a lack of a solid running game.

On the other hand, the giants have one of the best redzone defenses in the league too.And I ask again, why do we keep calling 2 running plays on 1st & 2nd when we know this? It is strictly a play calling thing. No imagination by KG when it comes to the red zone. He may be calling great plays when he has the entire field in front of him, but he has no imagination when it comes inside the 20. Just watch, the majority of the play calling inside the 20, he calls 2 running plays and then the fade to the corner of the endzone.

Nolan24
09-22-2012, 05:09 PM
i agree its concerning, but i think they will start punching it in soon. The team as a whole is just starting to shape into its own this year.

at least Tynes has been automatic this year so far (knock on wood).

slipknottin
09-22-2012, 05:09 PM
Again, its not imagination!

His offense is only a small part play calling, a large part of it is receivers adjusting their routes to what the defense does.

Eli has the choice of run or pass every play, so if we want to blame someone for running the ball twice in a row, blame Eli.

fansince69
09-22-2012, 05:11 PM
Again, its not imagination!

His offense is only a small part play calling, a large part of it is receivers adjusting their routes to what the defense does.

Eli has the choice of run or pass every play, so if we want to blame someone for running the ball twice in a row, blame Eli.

we can't be blaming Eli...