PDA

View Full Version : Check out some JimBrown highlights- Does Andre remind you a bit of him?

BParcells777
09-22-2012, 01:08 PM
here they are

If someone has Andre Brown highlights I'd like to see them side by side

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6cCXNBeVfc Jim Brown

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9kYqvdEl_Q Andre Brown

BlueSanta
09-22-2012, 01:26 PM
I remember when people said the same thing about BJ.

Sorry, I mean no disrespect to Brown who has been playing very well for us. But, Jim Brown was more of a freak in his day than anyone in the NFL right now.

and while I love what Brown as done, I am still reminded by the fact that he did it against 2 of the worst coached defenses in the league.

BParcells777
09-22-2012, 01:32 PM
I agree.........after watching them side by side JB had better balance, power, and ran LOWER......plus its not even close in the speed dept

But Andre does have the Jim Brown patience, change of direction, and very close in power.......both have/had a nose for the end zone, and breaking tackles

We only compared Jacobs as he was the only other RB to approach 6 yds per carry.......but BJ was just Raw Strength.......no moves at all, and no balance

roadgrader76
09-22-2012, 01:57 PM
LMAO... that's hysterical

BParcells777
09-22-2012, 01:59 PM
LMAO... that's hysterical

Whats hysterical?

Die-Hard
09-22-2012, 02:51 PM
The prefect blend of speed, power, balance, vision, and elusivness. The only other person who came close to duplicating what Jim Brown did was Barry Sanders. I know you're not saying that Andre Brown = Jim Brown, but up until 2 weeks ago, Andre had a career rushing number of -1 yards in the NFL.

Is he quick and elusive? Absolutely, but mentioning his name with Jim Brown is going to get a whole lot of people laughing. No offense intended.

GMan-67
09-22-2012, 03:10 PM
well positive trolls better than negative trolls ... open the HOF for Andre Brown ... woot woot ... or let's just beat the Eagles? ... that's where im at

TopleyBird
09-22-2012, 03:15 PM
I get a Hampton vibe from him, don't know about comparing him to the great Jim Brown... yet... muahaha

davepc
09-22-2012, 03:34 PM
This is a joke right? You're comparing a guy who had two decent games against terrible defenses to one of the all time NFL greats? Seriously?

BParcells777
09-22-2012, 03:42 PM
This is a joke right? You're comparing a guy who had two decent games against terrible defenses to one of the all time NFL greats? Seriously?

Yes........watch the Andre Brown video and the Jim Brown and get back to me........This kid is the REAL DEAL
Has the "potential" to be the best Giants RB ever

davepc
09-22-2012, 03:46 PM
I dunno, he reminded me a lot of Timmy Smith.

BParcells777
09-22-2012, 03:49 PM
who is Timmy Smith?

slipknottin
09-22-2012, 03:55 PM
oh my

lilredk
09-22-2012, 04:01 PM
They all look good on the college level.....Its the pros and a few years that dictate the quality of the back to survive..Theres no comparison at this time, Jim Brown was back in his own era ....Different "D's". blocking techniques,etc ....

jomo
09-22-2012, 04:05 PM
Can we revisit this in about 8 years?

joemorrisforprez
09-22-2012, 04:09 PM
here they are

If someone has Andre Brown highlights I'd like to see them side by side

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6cCXNBeVfc Jim Brown

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9kYqvdEl_Q Andre Brown

I can't really compare any of today's running backs to Jim Brown. It's like comparing today's baseball players to Ted Williams.

I'm really excited about Andre Brown, but he needs many, many more carries before I can make a judgment on him.

However, I do see similarities with Rodney Hampton (strong, economical runner) and Tiki Barber (patient, good field vision).

krygny
09-22-2012, 04:13 PM
Okay. Now, we're gettin' crazy. Let's not get crazy.

Andre Brown has had 2 good games and no great games.

slipknottin
09-22-2012, 04:13 PM
He reminds me a lot of Ben Tate. Similar runners. Compact, powerful, but with patience and deceptive speed.

fansince69
09-22-2012, 04:15 PM
who is Timmy Smith?

are you kidding?...not meant as a dig but you must be young....timmy smith was a nobody running back for the Redskins that ran for 200 yards in the super bowl....no one had ever heard of him before and you didn't hear much about him after....He was like a one game wonder

BlueSanta
09-22-2012, 07:06 PM
Can we revisit this in about 8 years?

Speaking of that, you been around long enough to remember this exact topic but comparing BJ to Jim Brown regards, it recieved a very similar response. Rightfully so.

Just like I hated it when 2 generations of LBs were compared to LT, and there were countless "the next LTs" there is only 1 Jim Brown, and Andre Brown has a lot of ground to make up before he can be mentioned in the same breath.

YATittle1962
09-22-2012, 07:19 PM
as someone who watched Jim Brown play ....I can absolutely see what you are saying

Andre is obviously no Jim Brown .....but the comparison is valid

BParcells777
09-22-2012, 07:22 PM
For goodness sakes
I just asked if he reminded you of the other Brown.....not that he was a re-incarnation......
Not that he should be inducted in the HOF
Its been a long time since we have had a guy that size, with that patience, balance, and power.......he is exactly the same size as Jim Brown BTW....admittedly not as fast but who was at that size......he is not as fast as Jim Brown but fast enough
BJ was not a complete runner..........he averaged 6 yds a carry on brute strength and size alone
We have found yet ANOTHER diamond in the rough (although we did draft him 4 yrs ago and let him go for injury reasons)
Bradshaw is losing something........he can still be effective but not as a starter
I like this kid.........I like him A LOT......I thank the Lord and Jerry Reese for all the bounty he is sending our way........our LBers have gone from worst in the league to one of the best crews.....our D Line is awakening
Woe onto anyone who sits on our schedule now

BParcells777
09-22-2012, 07:26 PM
as someone who watched Jim Brown play ....I can absolutely see what you are saying

Hey YA, THANK YOU!!!!......I'm 65 and a Giants fan since 1958........I saw Brown play too, and I have never seen a Giants RB who even remotely reminded me of Jim Brown until this kid......and yes it is remote at this point, and Andre will never be as fast as Jim Brown....."you cannot coach size or speed- Bill Parcells".......but he can be an All Pro....its possible. Jim Brown led the league in rushing 8 years in a row, and was an All Pro 9 years in a row and retired the Leagues MVP

A lot of people like to compare Barry Sanders to Jim Brown and you and I know thats not the case.......statistically yes, impact, size and strength........not even close.

DaKraken
09-22-2012, 10:58 PM
The only thing they have in common is their last name.

C'mon now people. This is getting a little ridiculous...the guy has played one full game. It's insulting to Jim Brown to even put them in the same sentence at this point....

GoDeep80
09-22-2012, 11:07 PM
You know the saying "He was a man amongst boys"? Jim Brown was a Man amongst fetuses. Andre (Though looking good so far) has only had one good game as a starter. letstake a deep breath here.

Giants5699
09-22-2012, 11:10 PM
..... One does not simply compare a running back to Jim Brown

/thread

BigBlueAllDay
09-22-2012, 11:31 PM
The prefect blend of speed, power, balance, vision, and elusivness. The only other person who came close to duplicating what Jim Brown did was Barry Sanders. I know you're not saying that Andre Brown = Jim Brown, but up until 2 weeks ago, Andre had a career rushing number of -1 yards in the NFL.

Is he quick and elusive? Absolutely, but mentioning his name with Jim Brown is going to get a whole lot of people laughing. No offense intended.

Just saw the clips. I'd have to agree with everything you said about Jim Brown. Those godly acts of balance and power to easily shed tackles and continue his run with deceptive controlled speed would suggest he had complete mastery of his legs from practicing and working out. Defintely an athlete that was way ahead of his time. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to see Jim Brown play as he was before my time.

Parademon
09-22-2012, 11:46 PM
Never saw Mr Brown play, only seen the film & highlights on him & I don't care what anyone says, no RB in NFL history can hold a candle to him. He retired at the age of 29 as the leading rusher in NFL history with over 12,312yds & 106 rushing Tds & 26 more recieving for a total of 126 TDs in just 9 seasons! Can you imagine if he had played 4 more yrs till he was 33-34? He would have finished with close to 18,500-19,000 yds & 175 Tds!

His 1st 4 seasons were 12 game schedules & his last 5 were 14 game schedules. Now with 16 games, it's so much easier for RBs to put up better numbers than Brown. If all 9 of his seasons were 16 games, forget it!

He's also the only RB in NFL history to avg over 100yds a game for his career! He scored 4 TDs in a game 6 times! His career YPC avg is an astounding 5.2!

There is only one Jim Brown, then there's everyone else.

PS: He was also an outstanding Lacrosse player at Syracuse and is in the Lacrosse HOF as well as the College HOF, to say nothing of the NFL's HOF.

JJC7301
09-23-2012, 01:16 AM
Whoa...lets take it easy. I like ANDRE Brown so far, but not ready to compare him to JIM Brown just yet. Just continue to play very well and we'll all be very happy.

And I'm not knocking you for making the comparison. I've thought that Wilson reminded me of Barry Sanders. At least in terms of running style.

giantsfan420
09-23-2012, 02:15 AM
i dont get why there are 2 links as if they are comprable. JB is prob the greatest rb of all time certainly up there. his highlite reel puts AB's to shame, but thats not an insult bc it puts every rb to shame.
AB is gonna be an excellent blend of power, athleticism, patience, explosiveness, and so far, vision. But JB he is not.

foosball
09-23-2012, 04:01 AM
Oh dear god... this thread is ridiculous.

mainefan
09-23-2012, 05:54 AM
I won't say Andre is as fast as Jim, but saw him outrunning some people. It will be interesting to see him bust open and see how easy it is to catch him from behind. Andre does show signs of being as smart and instinctive runner as I can recall on the Giants. I know he has only shown this a couple of times, but I'm excited to see if he is the real deal.

nhpgiantsfan
09-23-2012, 08:11 AM
I hope when fans from other teams come and troll our boards, that they happen to miss this thread. A thread comparing a 3 year journeyman who now has 6 quarters of good football under his belt to Jim Freakin Brown. My God!!!

GMan-67
09-23-2012, 08:40 AM
have you been working on Andre's Hall of Fame induction speech? ... man, this board is EXTREMEs ... a player is either GARBAGE or HOF ... there is absolutely nothing in between

GMENAGAIN
09-23-2012, 09:22 AM
These boards are unbelievable . . . .

M00KIE
09-23-2012, 09:48 AM

Sorry, but you really just took a credibility hit on this one... How in the world can you say that you see a comparison after 1 and 1/2 games? Complete nonsense.

YATittle1962
09-23-2012, 11:20 AM
way to miss the point 98% of you

the OP is not saying Andre is Jim Brown
he is not saying he will be Jim Brown
he is not saying he is as good as Jim Brown was when he was 7 years old

he is saying Andres running style reminds him of Jim Brown

and I for one completely agree

I haven't watched the videos....I saw Jim Brown play in person and on television enough times to remember exactly how he runs.....and I have seen quite a bit of Andre Brown recently

their vision, balance, change of direction, stiff arm, and welcoming contact all look very similar

he did not say...hey we have a Jim Brown here
he simply said the kid reminds him of Jim

BParcells777...I agree 100%

I went to a high school game on Friday night and the QB of the opposing teams throwing motion, body type and movements looked exactly like Joe Montana
I mentioned it to my brother and he completely agreed.

does this make that 17 year old kid Joe Montana?

was I "comparing " him to Joe Montana?

absolutely not
that would be quite silly

C'mon guys......get the point here

YATittle1962
09-23-2012, 11:24 AM
Sorry, but you really just took a credibility hit on this one... How in the world can you say that you see a comparison after 1 and 1/2 games? Complete nonsense.

hahahaha... credibility hit

you put way too much stock into message boards son ......keep working on that credibility

have a great day

BParcells777
09-23-2012, 11:41 AM
This is exactly my point he is jim Brown-like
He is not Jim Brown
No one will ever be Jim Brown...........Jim Brown is the Gold Standard.......... unless you are going to put a robot out there.

Jim Brown is the measuring stick upon which all other RB's are measured

On Attitiude alone- Jim Brown was a stone cold killer on the gridIron, Andre is a nice kid, has a pleasant personality, and does have a lot of confidence in himself. He has All-Pro potential IMHO.

So many of our RB's have had good attributes but never all of these at the same time- Big, Strong, Fast, Patient, Instinctive, Flexible, Good cuts, Tackle-breaking, and a great nose for the Hole and the End zone......plus Andre like Jim Brown can catch the ball. Jim could also throw a nice pass BTW. Don't know much about Andre's arm.

I'll let you in on a little secret, Jim Brown could not play in the single back set on passing downs............he hated blocking, and was not particularly good at it (probablby because he hated doing it)- I'm sure he could have blocked well if he wanted to.

In this one catagory, Andre better be excellent, or he will not get many minutes on a Tom Coughlin team.

ELIte4MVP
09-23-2012, 11:56 AM
this is the problem with comparisons. when you compare players, you can mean two things. you can compare production, and you can compare styles. example, david wilson is comparable to CJ2K in his measurables (look at scouting reports of both of them they are extremely similar). On the other hand, matt ryan and tony romo are comparable in their playoff appearances (both cant win in the playoffs). unfortunately, whenever we hear comparisons people usually think of the latter and not the former.

i agree with the OP, he does have similar styles to jim brown. i love his patience and what seems to be brains (Cant be sure in only two games, but it looks promising)

nycisgreat
09-23-2012, 12:28 PM

Sorry, I mean no disrespect to Brown who has been playing very well for us. But, Jim Brown was more of a freak in his day than anyone in the NFL right now.

and while I love what Brown as done, I am still reminded by the fact that he did it against 2 of the worst coached defenses in the league.

I totally agree. Let's just take this one game at time.

BParcells777
09-23-2012, 04:34 PM
I totally agree. Let's just take this one game at time.

Yeah BJ was on his way to the HOF (joke) until someone hit him in the knee..........he was never the same

Giantterp
09-23-2012, 06:26 PM
Interesting, I was just about to start a thread that Barden reminds me of Jerry Rice.

BParcells777
09-23-2012, 08:23 PM
One of the more remarkable things about Brown is that he never missed a game in 9 seasons......highly unusual for a RB........Guy was made of Iron

juice33s
09-23-2012, 08:43 PM

Well the Bucs D shut down the Panthers vaunted rushing attack in week 1 and Demarco Murray today, so Brown's performance is starting to look a little more impressive

GMENAGAIN
09-23-2012, 08:52 PM
Well the Bucs D shut down the Panthers vaunted rushing attack in week 1 and Demarco Murray today, so Brown's performance is starting to look a little more impressive

Good point

Roswell777
09-23-2012, 09:42 PM
I'm not going to compare AB2 (I guess Bradshaw is AB1) to Jim Brown in his running style but I will say this...

He has that look in his eye after he breaks one that you want to see in your running back. He's more like Natron Means than Jimmy Brown, but I like his power and I like his patience and I love the fact that he's got everything to prove after being cut by so many teams.

He's a great story, but he needs to pick up the blitz better.

burier
09-24-2012, 04:47 PM
We really shouldn't be comparing him to Rodney Hampton at this point. (I'd say that's pretty offensive to Hampton who was our entire offense for like 6 years straight) So of course the Jim Brown thing has to be for a laugh.

jints10
09-24-2012, 06:11 PM
Well they have the same last name that's. Where the similarity ends

BParcells777
09-24-2012, 09:21 PM
Oh Boy........I give up

I said their running style was similar.......for goodness sakes

Whatever, its frustrating how eagar people are to twist your words here

Thank your luck stars we have him because Bradshaw has no patience as a running back and Wilson is Bradshaw but worse- he just hits the rear end of his own players harder and faster than Bradshaw

CruzSoldier
09-25-2012, 09:25 PM
Jim Brown really.........I don't think Jim Brown whiffs on blocks or got cut from 6 different teams, I think you getting too caught up in 1 game and you comparing him to a HOFer.