PDA

View Full Version : Amazing how quick everyone changed their minds on that 2009 draft class

slipknottin
09-22-2012, 04:31 PM
Went from being "Nicks was the only player they got that draft"

To "now they have a starting receiver, a #3 receiver, their starting LT, and their starting HB (or #2 or #3 HB depending on how you want to order it)

Now the only guys who failed horribly from that draft were Sintim, Bomar, and a 6th and 7th round CB. Beckum is still on the fence (at best)

fansince69
09-22-2012, 04:33 PM
Went from being "Nicks was the only player they got that draft"

To "now they have a starting receiver, a #3 receiver, their starting LT, and their starting HB (or #2 or #3 HB depending on how you want to order it)

Now the only guys who failed horribly from that draft were Sintim, Bomar, and a 6th and 7th round CB. Beckum is still on the fence (at best)

ARE you saying that people need to give these players some time before they judge?I saw someone on here claim that last years draft was already a bust....

slipknottin
09-22-2012, 04:35 PM
ARE you saying that people need to give these players some time before they judge?I saw someone on here claim that last years draft was already a bust....

Not only give them time, but the classic way to look is supposed to be 3 years after.

But 3 years after the 2009 draft class still was unimpressive. Beatty was hurt, Barden had like 10 career catches, Brown was floating around on waivers once a month, and Beckum was managing one catch every other game.

Took that class 4 years to actually put something on the field.

Fharcyde
09-22-2012, 04:36 PM
I'm actually curious what's going on with Sintim. I'm guessing he hasn't caught on with any other team yet because he's not ready to play? It's a shame the injuries and such that happened. I was always high on him.

fansince69
09-22-2012, 04:38 PM
Not only give them time, but the classic way to look is supposed to be 3 years after.

But 3 years after the 2009 draft class still was unimpressive. Beatty was hurt, Barden had like 10 career catches, Brown was floating around on waivers once a month, and Beckum was managing one catch every other game.

Took that class 4 years to actually put something on the field.

I always figure 3 years....to be fair we still can't judge this class on one game but all of a sudden it looks brighter

fansince69
09-22-2012, 04:42 PM
another thing many on here tend to not understand....this isn't the browns....we are a solid football team to start with...even the most talented rookies are going to have to wait for their opportunity.....Sometimes there just isn't a spot for a couple years

When you continually draft in the 20s or 32 last year...first it means we are a better team and second...our draft picks on paper are not as talented as the guys the browns and whoever are grabbing in the top 5 or 10....of course they aren't going to get on field and have the same impact as other rookies....why is that so hard to understand?

ReiRiza
09-22-2012, 05:22 PM
This is exactly why I am not worried about people like Austin, Brewer, Jernigan, and Sash from last year. I'll be mad if they don't develop and call this draft class a bust in 2014 if they all flop.

GMan-67
09-22-2012, 08:25 PM
anyone even commenting on a draft before 3 years is just a complete NFL noob

giantsfan420
09-22-2012, 08:30 PM
wasnt like 95% of ppl here sure barden was a bust some time ago? i've always felt the 09 draft was a good one. ive been a fan/supporter of beatty, barden, n beckum on top of the obvious nicks. i just didnt hold the illusion that they'd all be all pro's starting for us after year 1. i knew itd take time.

but beatty and nicks became integral pretty quickly

BigBlue1971
09-22-2012, 09:07 PM
Barden i always thought if the Giants are keeping this guy he must have some hidden talent.

this is it! hes starting to show up. i liked his play on Thursday. i hope he can continue to improve.

Sintim i thought would be better than turned out! he surprised me.

im excited very much about Brown especially the last two games. going forward i think he will be a major upgrade to our rushing attack!

gmen46
09-22-2012, 09:56 PM
Jernigan still sucks hind teat.

fansince69
09-22-2012, 09:58 PM
Jernigan still sucks hind teat.

so did Barden on Wednesday

Mercury
09-22-2012, 10:36 PM
Brown, though drafted 4th round, was released, bounced around on a few other teams, and later picked up again. He's really more like a UDFA than part of the 2009 class.

slipknottin
09-22-2012, 10:53 PM
Brown, though drafted 4th round, was released, bounced around on a few other teams, and later picked up again. He's really more like a UDFA than part of the 2009 class.

Disagree. Hes finally healthy, and back to being the player they drafted in the 4th round

fansince69
09-22-2012, 10:58 PM
Disagree. Hes finally healthy, and back to being the player they drafted in the 4th round

this^^

BigBlueAllDay
09-22-2012, 11:10 PM
I'd like to say we're able to talk about Brown and see him shine for the Giants while Bradshaw's out right now because he won his appeal against the NFL regarding the perfomance-enhancing substances policy. To be clear, this is NOT to diminish anything Andre Brown has done for the Giants so far and will do in the future in anyway. This is just to add to the string of circumstances that have helped the Giants in terms of Andre Brown coming back to the team and being able to do what he did for 2 NFL games so far.

JJC7301
09-23-2012, 01:13 AM
People were right to be down on the class because he had provided absolutely nothing except for Nicks. Now, hopefully, that is changing. If Brown, Beatty, and Barden are for real (even at least as solid # 2's), then 2009 will have been yet another successful draft for JR.

mainefan
09-23-2012, 06:02 AM
Didn't Brewer have foot problems in college? No question, if he can stay healthy, he has big potential.

Captain Chaos
09-23-2012, 08:14 AM
I think that is a very interesting perspective, I think it may show what good coaching can do!

penguinfarmer
09-23-2012, 08:38 AM
The mercurial nature of the board no longer amazes me. By next week, someone new will be on the pedestal while another in the crosshairs.

shotcalla39
09-23-2012, 08:42 AM
Barden i always thought if the Giants are keeping this guy he must have some hidden talent.

this is it! hes starting to show up. i liked his play on Thursday. i hope he can continue to improve.

Sintim i thought would be better than turned out! he surprised me.

im excited very much about Brown especially the last two games. going forward i think he will be a major upgrade to our rushing attack!

We kept sinorice moss an awful long time... I wasn't too high on barden because I felt we were kind of reaching for a tall rwciever to substitute for Plax... Barden seems to be coming alongm.. I think it has more to do with him finally learning the ons and out of thw playbook, the Panthers set their minds on stopping Cruz, and Eli manning being a beast.... Batden just isn't that explosive but he's showing he can run the correct routes and has soft hands... When nicks comes back he is a viable #3 for sire and I'm happy for him

GMENAGAIN
09-23-2012, 09:20 AM
I never said that the 2009 draft class was horrible and was willing to be patient (especially with Beatty), but I'm certainly not going to now say that the class is great because Barden played one good game in 4 years and Beatty played a good game without getting injured. Let's see Beatty stay on the field and Barden continue to contribute before we laud them as great draft picks.

Very promising performances on Thursday though . . . . .

I never really considered Brown a bad pick, because it was pretty clear that all of his issues stemmed from injury, not because he wasn't a good player . . .

Redeyejedi
09-23-2012, 11:01 AM

Took that class 4 years to actually put something on the field. I guess but Slip if a guy is signed to a 4 year deal and he doesnt produce to year 4 and he leaves in FA how much value did we get from him. Lets say Barden goes for 650 yards this season and then gets paid more then the Giants can match, Was that a good pick?

Tmurda1984
09-23-2012, 12:26 PM
Everyone had the right to dog the 2009 draft class. It took Barden 4 years to have an impact game after playing in the same system with the same elite QB, people are going to moan about him especially after an undrafted rookie named Victor Cruz caught on to the offense before he did. Andre Brown is looking good but failed to stay healthy and was cut by 7 NFL TEAMS! hopefully he's the real deal only time will tell. William Beatty was another guy who has failed to stay healthy and the only reason we are praising him because Diehl is soo terrible. Sintim was a complete bust, Beckum is a bust as well. Hakeem Nicks is the class of this draft, I just wished he would stay healthy, but its hard to when you play as hard as him and leave everything on the field.

GameTime
09-23-2012, 12:41 PM
I guess but Slip if a guy is signed to a 4 year deal and he doesnt produce to year 4 and he leaves in FA how much value did we get from him. Lets say Barden goes for 650 yards this season and then gets paid more then the Giants can match, Was that a good pick?
Picks are gambles especially later rounds. If a player winds up good and then cant be afforded then so be it. You cant have that much forsight when drafting. IMO....if Barden turns out very good and for some reason cant be paid then the Giants made a good pick anway because they saw talent and developed the kid.

Tmurda1984
09-23-2012, 12:49 PM
Picks are gambles especially later rounds. If a player winds up good and then cant be afforded then so be it. You cant have that much forsight when drafting. IMO....if Barden turns out very good and for some reason cant be paid then the Giants made a good pick anway because they saw talent and developed the kid.

But seeing talent in the kid, and watching him struggle for 4 years doesnt help the Giants. It would hurt the organization if he started to develop, but the organization can't trust him to give him a good contract because of his body of work. Because you have to remember Nicks and Cruz have contracts expiring too. And what if Barden does develop into a good recevier for another team....then we gotten little value from him.

GameTime
09-23-2012, 12:53 PM
But seeing talent in the kid, and watching him struggle for 4 years doesnt help the Giants. It would hurt the organization if he started to develop, but the organization can't trust him to give him a good contract because of his body of work. Because you have to remember Nicks and Cruz have contracts expiring too. And what if Barden does develop into a good recevier for another team....then we gotten little value from him.
I totally understand that. Luckily his situation doesnt happen too often. The value wouldnt be there but at lesst their scouting nailed it....lol

PRGiant
09-24-2012, 12:20 PM
I guess but Slip if a guy is signed to a 4 year deal and he doesnt produce to year 4 and he leaves in FA how much value did we get from him. Lets say Barden goes for 650 yards this season and then gets paid more then the Giants can match, Was that a good pick?
THIS! Exacly the problem with drafting projects, you develop them, taking some cap/roster space, maybe on year 4 they have a good year and now you have to pay them FA $$

GMan-67
09-24-2012, 12:52 PM
THIS! Exacly the problem with drafting projects, you develop them, taking some cap/roster space, maybe on year 4 they have a good year and now you have to pay them FA $$

Barden's lack of production was due to injuries more than anything ... he's only played 20 games ... he would have been a player that emerged in year 2 w/o injuries and nobody has a crystal ball on injuries

the other problem Barden had was not being a standout on STs .... when you are a young backup WR, you need to play STs to increase your opportunties ... if you are dressed on game day due to STs, then if a starting WR gets a little banged up .... you get a chance to play WR and you can prove yourself

BlueReign
09-24-2012, 12:54 PM
I was most excited for Sintim in this draft. but as we can all see he didn't pan out.

SiddFinch1
09-24-2012, 03:51 PM
For barden....injuries plus a lot of good wr on the giants equalled 3 lost years. Now he will play and get his chance

pino
09-24-2012, 09:06 PM
To be fair, Sintim had a series of unfortunate events. He was always hurt, and never had a shot.

GMENAGAIN
09-25-2012, 09:19 AM
To be fair, Sintim had a series of unfortunate events. He was always hurt, and never had a shot.

Nonsense. He had plenty of opportunities when he was not hurt and was just not a good player.

RagTime Blue
09-25-2012, 11:16 AM
What's more foolish, evaluating a draft class after 3 years, or doing so after ONE good game?

GMENAGAIN
09-25-2012, 06:19 PM
What's more foolish, evaluating a draft class after 3 years, or doing so after ONE good game?

ha ha . . . .excellent point

nycsportzfan
09-25-2012, 07:43 PM
I raved about the 2009 draft more then probably anyone on these boads, and in fact, when i was disagreeing with alot of the picks in this past draft, i was called out for my opinion, becaseu of how much i loved the 2009 draft..lol

CGYGIANT said " this coming from a guy who loved the 2009 draft so much"...lol I almost coulden't believe how good Reese had done in the 09 draft.. Like every pick was amazing to me.. Of course i realize there not all gonna work out, but i felt he was getting fantastic value right through the end and it amazed me how much Reese revamped our offense which really needed it in one draft.. Again, i coulden't of raved more about that draft.. I loved every draft the giants have had since 2007 outside of this past yr, which i called HOSLEY our best pick, which so far, very early on looks like that... I also liked both tackle picks... All though McCants played very badly in the preseason...

nycsportzfan
09-25-2012, 07:47 PM
It actually angered me how many people on these boards complained about that 09 draft.. People were whining left and right about it. But yet, the one time i don't rave about a draft this past yr, i had more then a few people all over me about it.. Even the JPP draft i loved as well.. I was a rare one that was OK with JPP being picked, and also LINVAL JOSEPH was the guy i actually wanted in RD 2.. I actually had LINVAL as my SURPRISE 1ST RD selection, so i was overwhelmed with happiness when he made it to us MID 2nd and we actually took em..

CDN_G-FAN
09-25-2012, 07:49 PM
lesson is you can't judge a draft class even after the first couple years, especially the later rounds.

nycsportzfan
09-25-2012, 07:51 PM
What's more foolish, evaluating a draft class after 3 years, or doing so after ONE good game? It depeneds on how u evaluate.. I for one evaluta a entire draft on how many helpful parts u get.. If ur expectations for a draftee is they have to be a starter and really really good, then u simply don't have realistic expectations.. I for one expect the 1st and 2nd rder to be starters and hopefully above avg starters, and from there on out, i'm hoping to get HELPFUL parts to a team... Guys that when called upon deliver, and are quality spot starters/backups, and maybe u get lucky and steal a starter or 2 from rd 3-7..

In 09, we got Nicks and beatty, who are both above avg starters , and Barden and Beckum who are both helpful parts, with Barden possibly being able to be alittle more, and Andre Brown who again, can be a helpful part to a run game. Thats pretty freaking good.. Sintim didn't work out, but so what? Its not easy to have a entire draft be helpful or productive players..