PDA

View Full Version : Tom Coughlin's makeover as a coach detailed on "A Football Life"

RoanokeFan
09-23-2012, 12:36 PM
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...r_as_a_co.html (http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/09/tom_coughlins_makeover_as_a_co.html)

Excerpt: "Tom Coughlin laughed when asked Friday if there were any "startling revelations" in his episode of NFL Network's "A Football Life," which will air Wednesday at 8 p.m.

The Giants coach said he didn't think so, although he hadn't yet seen the episode. He's right, but it is a warm, nostalgic and well-rounded look at the two-time Super Bowl winning head coach. Detailed in the episode is his endeavor to recast himself as a coach before the Giants' 2007 championship season.

Coughlin recalls a turning point after the 2006 season. He was on the hot seat after the Giants lost in the first round of the playoffs, and his wife, Judy, and two of his children staged an intervention in his living room. They told him what Judy Coughlin said she wished they had told him in Jacksonville, before he was fired as the Jaguars head coach -- that the media did not like him, and did not have reason to." Read more...

Cool Papa B.
09-23-2012, 01:39 PM
Can't wait to see it. I have my DVR set to record it on Wed. Should be interesting.

RoanokeFan
09-23-2012, 01:55 PM
Can't wait to see it. I have my DVR set to record it on Wed. Should be interesting.

TC is one of the best in the business.

BMW
09-23-2012, 02:41 PM
Love the preview, especially when he screams get your *** down! Great stuff.

krygny
09-23-2012, 03:40 PM
DVR is already set.

Parademon
09-23-2012, 07:06 PM
He had to change his DI approach due to the fact that athletes are prima Donnas & not used to gettting yelled/screamed at & told to be at meetings 15 min prior, etc. Only those of us that have served can deal with that type of leadership mentality.

RoanokeFan
09-23-2012, 07:09 PM
He had to change his DI approach due to the fact that athletes are prima Donnas & not used to gettting yelled/screamed at & told to be at meetings 15 min prior, etc. Only those of us that have served can deal with that type of leadership mentality.

And yet the players have signed on to his philosophy. They simply believe

ashleymarie
09-23-2012, 07:21 PM
Love the preview, especially when he screams get your *** down! Great stuff.

Haven't seen that; looking forward to it.

SweetZombieJesus
09-23-2012, 07:56 PM
Haven't seen that; looking forward to it.

It was used in the 2007 videos as well -- America's Game or the Championship DVD.

Pre-2007 Coughlin on the sidelines red-faced and screaming "GET YOUR *** DOWN! WE LOST THE DAMNED GAME BECAUSE OF ILLEGAL PROCEDURRRRRRRRRE!"

Greatone80
09-23-2012, 08:22 PM
I cant wait to see this.I saw the preview and looking forward to it.Im glad to see TC got this special.

BigBlueAllDay
09-23-2012, 08:25 PM
Even with the DVR, make sure someone bumps this up on Wednesday for those that want to see it on the NFL network in realtime at 8 PM EST.

Captain Chaos
09-24-2012, 05:04 AM
Any person, particularly an old school coach like TC, that can reflect on himself honestly and make positive change is rare. TC has shown wisdom and the ability to adapt probably a lesson in their for allot of us!

Kruunch
09-24-2012, 07:52 AM
Prior to 2007, the biggest thing I noticed with TC was how much he'd preach self discipline and then absolutely lose his **** on the side lines every game.

He's not exactly the picture of poise these days, but at least he doesn't look like he's about to burst an aneurysm anymore.

BigBlueAllDay
09-26-2012, 07:58 PM
Starting in a couple of minutes...

Cool Papa B.
09-26-2012, 08:41 PM
WOW!.....

I'm getting all choked up watching this.....

spair
09-26-2012, 09:06 PM
Fantastic episode. Sometimes we forget there are real humanity, real people with real feelings where our teams are concerned. And be mindful that the media always has an ax to grind.

krygny
09-28-2012, 03:10 PM
I just watched it off the DVR.

The most amazing thing is the voice mail on TC's phone from John Madden the day after the Giants lost the season finale to the Pats in '07. I had never heard about that. I wish I could find a transcript of it because when you strike a nerve in John Madden, you know you've done something great.

RoanokeFan
09-28-2012, 03:11 PM

The most amazing thing is the voice mail on TC's phone from John Madden the day after the Giants lost the season finale to the Pats in '07. I had never heard about that. I wish I could find a transcript of it because when you strike a nerve in John Madden, You know you've done something great.

Good point

Ruttiger711
09-28-2012, 05:50 PM

The most amazing thing is the voice mail on TC's phone from John Madden the day after the Giants lost the season finale to the Pats in '07. I had never heard about that. I wish I could find a transcript of it because when you strike a nerve in John Madden, you know you've done something great.

I just finally watched this today too and this was awesome - and the fact that he played it for the team. Can't believe we never heard of this before.

I'm going to try my best at the transcription since its right in front of me:

John Madden on TC's voicemail:

"Tom this is John Madden calling on sunday morning just to congratulate you and your team for a great effort last night. Not good, but great. I think it's one of the best things that's happened to nfl in the last 10 years.. I don't know if they all know it but they should be grateful. To you and you team were getting to much of that 'well they're going to rest their players and thats not football' anyway im a little emotional about it and so proud of what you did... The NFL needed that and I wanted to thank you for it. Congratulations. "

I'm sure I don't have that exact, but I think you get it.

krygny
09-28-2012, 06:04 PM
Maybe that phone call was made public before but I don't remember it. And of course, Tom didn't erase it without preserving it for posterity. That kind of affirmation from a respected peer is rare. Has a coach ever gotten more credit for a loss?

Harooni
09-28-2012, 06:16 PM
A thank you to Tiki Barber for changing his outlook toward the players would be nice.

TheEnigma
09-28-2012, 06:29 PM
A thank you to Tiki Barber for changing his outlook toward the players would be nice.

Kurt Warner deserves a thank you as well.

BigBlueAllDay
09-28-2012, 06:30 PM
I just finally watched this today too and this was awesome - and the fact that he played it for the team. Can't believe we never heard of this before.

I'm going to try my best at the transcription since its right in front of me:

John Madden on TC's voicemail:

"Tom this is John Madden calling on sunday morning just to congratulate you and your team for a great effort last night. Not good, but great. I think it's one of the best things that's happened to nfl in the last 10 years.. I don't know if they all know it but they should be grateful. To you and you team were getting to much of that 'well they're going to rest their players and thats not football' anyway im a little emotional about it and so proud of what you did... The NFL needed that and I wanted to thank you for it. Congratulations. "

I'm sure I don't have that exact, but I think you get it.

Yup, Tom Coughlin went against a lot of expectations, logic, and the norm to try to knock the Patriots off their perfect season record instead of bowing down to them like the rest of the pathetic league that year. However, in doing so, the Giants players gained a ton of confidence and belief that the 07 Patriots were very beatable, which they proved in the following Superbowl. John Madden made that even better experience apparently as Coughlin played that voicemail to the rest of the team. That Week 16 game may be the best and most productive loss in Giants history.

Ruttiger711
09-28-2012, 06:31 PM

You're right Miki provided a perfect example of the player that didn't fit the team model he was preaching.

Harooni
09-30-2012, 01:54 AM
Kurt Warner deserves a thank you as well. that is correct i remember reading how Kurt pulled him to the side and being an older vet and a religious man, TC actually listened

RoanokeFan
09-30-2012, 07:39 AM
A thank you to Tiki Barber for changing his outlook toward the players would be nice. ONLY YOU lol