PDA

View Full Version : Vacchiano: Giants' Reese wins with patience

RoanokeFan
09-23-2012, 02:54 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1165605 (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/ny-giants-general-manager-jerry-reese-patience-lesser-known-players-pay-article-1.1165605)

Excerpt: "The angry mob is never far from Jerry Reese (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Jerry+Reese)’s door, no matter how many Super Bowl trophies are out in his lobby. If there’s one thing he’s learned in his 5½ years as general manager of the Giants it’s that fans, by nature, are impatient. The last thing they ever want to have to do is wait.

So he understood the angst they felt on Thursday when injuries forced the Giants to start receiver Ramses Barden (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Ramses+Barden). Six months earlier, Reese could’ve kept Mario Manningham for the low, low price of $7.3 million over two seasons. Now the Giants were lining up a former third-round pick who had been a great disappointment — maybe even a bust.

Some fans would’ve preferred if Barden had been cut at the end of training camp in August. Others wanted him out last season when he was slow to recover from ankle surgery and missed the first eight games of the year." Read more...

BMW
09-23-2012, 03:11 PM
Best GM in the business.

RoanokeFan
09-23-2012, 03:11 PM
Hard to argue with that. It's how they build their teams. They see potential and patiently wait for it to be developed. It's their philosophy and they are committed to it.

BigBlue1971
09-23-2012, 03:19 PM
i agree Reese is among the best GMs in the game!

just holding on to Barden is evident of that!

Toadofsteel
09-23-2012, 04:39 PM
read my sig...

fourth&forever
09-23-2012, 05:17 PM
The Giants have a plan and a philosophy that works.
Patience is one integral part.

From the article:
"(Reese) trusts his evaluations. He believes in his decisions. He has faith in the players that he and his staff pick. So he’ll wait for Prince Amukamara, last year’s first-round pick, to show he can be an NFL cornerback. He’ll hold off on judging defensive tackle Marvin Austin, last year’s second-rounder, until he can work himself back into shape. He’ll give tight end Travis Beckum a chance when his knee heels. He’ll continue to believe in receiver Jerrel Jernigan."

As a fan, I'll try to be more patient. Its obviously working.

RoanokeFan
09-23-2012, 06:58 PM
The Giants have a plan and a philosophy that works.
Patience is one integral part.

From the article:
"(Reese) trusts his evaluations. He believes in his decisions. He has faith in the players that he and his staff pick. So he’ll wait for Prince Amukamara, last year’s first-round pick, to show he can be an NFL cornerback. He’ll hold off on judging defensive tackle Marvin Austin, last year’s second-rounder, until he can work himself back into shape. He’ll give tight end Travis Beckum a chance when his knee heels. He’ll continue to believe in receiver Jerrel Jernigan."

As a fan, I'll try to be more patient. Its obviously working.

We just don't see enough of these developing players to be able to insert our wishes into the equation. In Wilson's case, you just have to believe they KNOW what they're doing for the long term and, in Brown's, keeping him on the practice squad

drewz
09-23-2012, 07:05 PM
Hilarious here were people a week or so ago calling out Reese for the state of the offensive line.

RoanokeFan
09-23-2012, 07:07 PM
Hilarious here were people a week or so ago calling out Reese for the state of the offensive line.

And they continue to lurk in the shadows

miked1958
09-23-2012, 07:25 PM
I for one feel we have one of the best of not the best front offices in the NFL

Hampton27 missed
09-23-2012, 08:10 PM
TC has been involved in these drafts as well. They all deserve major props.

RoanokeFan
09-23-2012, 08:38 PM
I for one feel we have one of the best of not the best front offices in the NFL

+1

zimonami
09-23-2012, 09:33 PM
Hard to argue with that. It's how they build their teams. They see potential and patiently wait for it to be developed. It's their philosophy and they are committed to it.
Giants realize that some athletes develop later than others. A guy like Barden has a little extra adjusting to do because of the level of college competition. Sometimes, like with S. Moss, they don't develop. But, Barden's size surely had a lot to do with their patience.

Roswell777
09-23-2012, 10:07 PM
Giants realize that some athletes develop later than others. A guy like Barden has a little extra adjusting to do because of the level of college competition. Sometimes, like with S. Moss, they don't develop. But, Barden's size surely had a lot to do with their patience.

Agreed. He was drafted to fill Buress' shoes with a similar skill set. Big target in the red zone (green zone lol). That bought him three under achieving years. It would be great if he could split wide, opposite Nicks, with Cruz in the slot. If he can develop, then a lot of D coordinators are going to lose a lot of sleep.

giantsfan420
09-23-2012, 10:53 PM
lol awesome article i just find it funny how when JR says basically the exact same things as the few here who believed barden could do what he did given the chance...a poster, RF i believe, went "its hard to argue with that." It should be, but unfortunately 95% didnt wanna have the patience...

week 2 these last 2 yrs have been real good for our WR depth lol, Cruz breaks out vs Philly/Barden vs Carolina. I really hope we get Barden plenty of looks vs Philly and Dallas bc they do have 2 good corners so the 3rd WR will need to come up big.

Toadofsteel
09-24-2012, 12:24 AM
lol awesome article i just find it funny how when JR says basically the exact same things as the few here who believed barden could do what he did given the chance...a poster, RF i believe, went "its hard to argue with that." It should be, but unfortunately 95% didnt wanna have the patience...

week 2 these last 2 yrs have been real good for our WR depth lol, Cruz breaks out vs Philly/Barden vs Carolina. I really hope we get Barden plenty of looks vs Philly and Dallas bc they do have 2 good corners so the 3rd WR will need to come up big.

Well that's the idea that our offense has taken lately. If you get 3 targets that can catch in single coverage and an elite QB to throw the ball, you're basically golden. The whole idea of our offense is that you cannot cover Nicks, Cruz, AND a legitimate 3rd target all at the same time, unless you're rushing 3 (and even our O-line can protect against that, and Eli will eventually find someone open). That's why you're seeing a lot of blitzing vs our line by the way, since you have to bring Eli down fast. Problem is, disrupting one play doesn't knock Eli off his game like it would to Rodgers or Brady.

giantsfan420
09-24-2012, 01:29 AM
good post. just want to add that with bennett, we become even more unstoppable.

Captain Chaos
09-24-2012, 04:51 AM
There has to be a behind the scenes guy who has a level head and doesn't get to high or to low. Reese seems to be that guy, not sure how much Coughlin factors into that but the guy stays the course. He even applies that to his FA moves, look at Rivers. He never reached his potential for the Bengals but Reese saw something and went after him, we have seen his ability on the field, I think he will be key in the next game against Vick. Thanks Roanoke for highlighting the article.

Kruunch
09-24-2012, 07:46 AM
Two Superbowls in 5 years ... if every one of his picks from here on out is a bust, he's been a damn fine GM for us.

SiddFinch1
09-24-2012, 08:55 AM
Two Superbowls in 5 years ... if he every one of his picks from here on out is a bust, he's been a damn fine GM for us.

+1

2 superbowls in a career makes a good career.

fansince69
09-24-2012, 09:50 AM
my signature says it all