PDA

View Full Version : Andre Brown = Rodney Hampton part 2

WinterIsComing
09-24-2012, 06:36 PM
Growing up a Rodney Hampton fan and watching almost every game he played in, I have to say that Andrew Brown's running style is very similar. Hampton was probably more powerful, but watching Andre Brown play I have to say it's almost like watching a young Rodney Hampton.

They both are great running backs in between the tackles. Like Hampton, Brown is also very good at making one cut decisively and powering his way through tackles.

However, Brown has a major advantage of being surrounded by way more talent on the team, than Hampton did during his days with the Giants.

jomo
09-24-2012, 06:57 PM
I see the similarity and yes..........winter is coming!

Jiffy Jeff
09-24-2012, 07:10 PM
I see the similarity and yes..........winter is coming!

"Getcha flannels ready"!!!!!

joemorrisforprez
09-24-2012, 07:27 PM
Growing up a Rodney Hampton fan and watching almost every game he played in, I have to say that Andrew Brown's running style is very similar. Hampton was probably more powerful, but watching Andre Brown play I have to say it's almost like watching a young Rodney Hampton.

They both are great running backs in between the tackles. Like Hampton, Brown is also very good at making one cut decisively and powering his way through tackles.

However, Brown has a major advantage of being surrounded by way more talent on the team, than Hampton did during his days with the Giants.

I agree.....the kid has a ton of upside, and I feel like we've finally got the workhorse back we need.

I was a huge Rodney Hampton fan back in the day.... next to the Great Joe Morris, he was my favorite Giant running back.

Toadofsteel
09-24-2012, 08:13 PM
All I remember about Hampton was seeing him on the field... I was too young to understand running styles for most of his career. Still, the way I see it, Brown is a good redux of Jacobs with a little bit of Tiki thrown in for good measure (the football intelligence part, not the ******bag part)

yoeddy
09-24-2012, 08:35 PM
Brown is quicker than Hampton...doesn't have Rodney's gut...but similarly, Hampton had more power, especially in the Dan Reeves years...

Captain Chaos
09-24-2012, 09:35 PM
I'm buying, he hits the holes hard just like Hampton. Slash and gash!!!!!!

Ruttiger711
09-24-2012, 10:20 PM
Until I see a running back hit the hole standing almost completely upright and vertical, there will be no "running like Hampton" :)

yoeddy
09-24-2012, 10:21 PM
Until I see a running back hit the hole standing almost completely upright and vertical, there will be no "running like Hampton" :)

Brandon Jacobs?

DaKraken
09-24-2012, 11:57 PM
They both are great running backs in between the tackles.

First Jim Brown, now Rodney Hampton. Who's next, Barry Sanders?

This has frankly just totally gotten ridiculous. Look, I'm as excited that we might have a new productive RB as the next fan. But seriously, the guy has a single 100yd game and he' s being labeled as "great between the tackles" and compared to living legends. Can we let Andre put up a few more good games before we start comparing him to decent active RBs, let alone NY Giants greats and HOFs???

GameTime
09-25-2012, 12:15 AM
Andre Brown doesnt equal anyting yet. The kids has had a couple of good games. I am totally psyched for him to explode on the scene but he needs a more than two decent games for any comparisson.

joemorrisforprez
09-25-2012, 12:28 AM

This has frankly just totally gotten ridiculous. Look, I'm as excited that we might have a new productive RB as the next fan. But seriously, the guy has a single 100yd game and he' s being labeled as "great between the tackles" and compared to living legends. Can we let Andre put up a few more good games before we start comparing him to decent active RBs, let alone NY Giants greats and HOFs???

You're right......Andre Brown is much more similar to Emmitt Smith.

M00KIE
09-25-2012, 01:17 AM

I'm with this guy. You're all whacko's.

giantsfam04
09-25-2012, 08:02 AM

I was about to say the same thing, he ran upright a lot. I cant help but think that style had a lot to do with the sudden drop in is production.

yoeddy
09-25-2012, 08:58 AM
I was about to say the same thing, he ran upright a lot. I cant help but think that style had a lot to do with the sudden drop in is production.

Hampton's drop in production was directly related to Dan Reeves' lack of confidence in the passing game and his use of Hampton as a 30+ carry per game battering ram. It wore Hampton down quickly...

GMan-67
09-25-2012, 09:03 AM
that's disrespectful to a former Giants star ... you could say, man i hope he runs for 7K and 50 TDs and equals Rodney Hampton .... altho when you look at it that way .... that's like taking wishful thinking by the neck and tossing it over a cliff

JimC
09-25-2012, 09:44 AM

That's how some folks have it around here.......can't stop drinking the Kool-Aid.

After having little success running the ball last year, fans are looking for a fix and it looks like the latest ray of hope is Andre.

yoeddy
09-25-2012, 09:44 AM
I just think they have similar running styles, that's all...

Bee
09-25-2012, 11:31 AM
"Getcha flannels ready"!!!!!TIL ned stark was a huge fan of flannel sheets

RagTime Blue
09-25-2012, 11:36 AM
TIL ned stark was a huge fan of flannel sheets

That would explain John Snow's existence.

But I was thinking Andre Brown reminded me of the former Giant back. . .ready for this. . .LEWIS TILLMAN.

JJC7301
09-25-2012, 11:42 AM
You know what? Yeah, Brown's style so far does remind me of Hampton.

GMan-67
09-25-2012, 12:49 PM
That would explain John Snow's existence.

But I was thinking Andre Brown reminded me of the former Giant back. . .ready for this. . .LEWIS TILLMAN.

ha, that's a blast from the past ... now i know you're only kiddin b/c Lewis was a slasher whereas Brown is patient and sets up his blocks better, but glad you brought him up ... he was a fun player to watch

yoeddy
09-25-2012, 12:55 PM
ha, that's a blast from the past ... now i know you're only kiddin b/c Lewis was a slasher whereas Brown is patient and sets up his blocks better, but glad you brought him up ... he was a fun player to watch

Yeah, I don't see the Tillman likeness...

moosedrool
09-25-2012, 01:15 PM
To all the people who say lets wait to see a few more games on Brown, I don't need to. I see a RB with power that is always falling forward, pretty good speed, balance, and elusiveness. PFF has a great stat for RB's Yards After Contact. Brown is currently 4th in the league at 3.7. For comparison, 3.7 is the average that led the league last year, and Bradshaw's 2011 average was 2.5. And 10 million / year RB Chris Johnson is at 1.3 ( and he has the nerve to blame his OL).

GameTime
09-25-2012, 01:19 PM
To all the people who say lets wait to see a few more games on Brown, I don't need to. I see a RB with power that is always falling forward, pretty good speed, balance, and elusiveness. PFF has a great stat for RB's Yards After Contact. Brown is currently 4th in the league at 3.7. For comparison, 3.7 is the average that led the league last year, and Bradshaw's 2011 average was 2.5. And 10 million / year RB Chris Johnson is at 1.3 ( and he has the nerve to blame his OL).
No need to see a few more games but he will share carries with Bradshaw if he is healthy.