PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Mara, it's time to make a phone call!!

nhpgiantsfan
09-25-2012, 08:53 AM
You and the other 31 owners need to call Goodell and get the refs back. You are one of the most influential owners in the sport. This is not Goodell's fault. He is employed by the 32 owners of the NFL. He is fighting your fight. You and your counterparts have the power to end this. Last night's fiasco could easily happen to us or any other team.

You guys raise your prices every year, and now you are providing an inferior product to your customers. Get this done! Your comissioner's favorite line is "protect the integrity of the game". Clearly right now, the almighty dollar is more important than the integrity of the game.

RoanokeFan
09-25-2012, 09:13 AM
You and the other 31 owners need to call Goodell and get the refs back. You are one of the most influential owners in the sport. This is not Goodell's fault. He is employed by the 32 owners of the NFL. He is fighting your fight. You and your counterparts have the power to end this. Last night's fiasco could easily happen to us or any other team. You guys raise your prices every year, and now you are providing an inferior product to your customers. Get this done! Your comissioner's favorite line is "protect the integrity of the game". Clearly right now, the almighty dollar is more important than the integrity of the game. The Giants haven't raised their ticket prices in three years

GameTime
09-25-2012, 09:19 AM
The Giants haven't raised their ticket prices in three years
thats because they were high enough already not too.......lol

nhpgiantsfan
09-25-2012, 09:25 AM

Did they raise the price of concessions or merchandise, or the priced of the NFL Sunday Ticket. I think it was pretty clear that I wasnt talking specifically about the Giants here. It's an NFL issue, and this is all about the owners wanting a bigger piece of the pie in their pocket. Maybe not Mara specifically but the owners in general.

CDN_G-FAN
09-25-2012, 09:25 AM
until actual fans realize they can change this dispute, the NFL is going to stick to its guns.

unless we're willing to say, collectively and with increasing numbers, that we're not going to tune in to watch the games, the NFL is going to do whatever the hell it wants. And for greater clarity, that's wait until the refs back down on their contract demands.

GameTime
09-25-2012, 09:26 AM
Pay the ****ing Refs already.......please.
These games are a joke. Too many flags and too much BS.

GameTime
09-25-2012, 09:27 AM
until actual fans realize they can change this dispute, the NFL is going to stick to its guns.

unless we're willing to say, collectively and with increasing numbers, that we're not going to tune in to watch the games, the NFL is going to do whatever the hell it wants. And for greater clarity, that's wait until the refs back down on their contract demands.
the fans wont change anything like you said...
its the owners that have to say lets get it done......their teams are being maybe to look silly. Time to pay the refs.....very simple....

TheAnalyst
09-25-2012, 09:30 AM
The Giants haven't raised their ticket prices in three yearsFunny. In 2008 I got some good seats for about 130 bucks. I tried to get about the same seats this year and they were averaging 300+ dollars.

In other news Victor Cruz is about to be on Dan Patrick

CDN_G-FAN
09-25-2012, 09:38 AM
the fans wont change anything like you said...
its the owners that have to say lets get it done......their teams are being maybe to look silly. Time to pay the refs.....very simple....

the owners aren't going to stand up and say anything either. at the end of the day the overwhelming majority of them are businessmen, and they understand what's at stake with this contract dispute, and its not the money, its the fact that if the NFL caves the refs will have established a precident that says the NFL has no bargining power every time there's a ref contract dispute.

if the NFL backs down now, what do you think the refs will do when the next contract comes up? There's no WAy the back down from any of their demands, and all they'll have to do to sell it to get the support of the fans is say, "see, we're only asking for a $5 million increase when the NFL brought in $3 billion in TV revenue"

until it starts hurting viewership, there's literally no incentive for the NFL to settle this dispute.

RoanokeFan
09-25-2012, 09:42 AM
thats because they were high enough already not too.......lol Smart aas

RoanokeFan
09-25-2012, 09:45 AM
I don't know the answer, but did thw ref's take the players' in their lockout?

Rod-Diggity
09-25-2012, 09:55 AM
even if i was a seahawks fan i'd be ashamed about last night's game, i don't understand how they reviewed it and not give the packers an interception. the packers player clearly had possession the whole time it wasn't even debatable imo

bigjeep
09-25-2012, 09:56 AM

If the players really care about having the "real" refs back, then honor the ref's strike and don't play. Or are the players to greedy to miss a pay check? If the players refused to play next week the "real" refs would be back faster then you can say Eli!

GameTime
09-25-2012, 09:59 AM
even if i was a seahawks fan i'd be ashamed about last night's game, i don't understand how they reviewed it and not give the packers an interception. the packers player clearly had possession the whole time it wasn't even debatable imopossesion on a simutaneously called catch is not reveiwable per the NFL. They can only review if the ball touched the ground. They said that a few times last night during the mayhem....

bigjeep
09-25-2012, 10:00 AM
even if i was a seahawks fan i'd be ashamed about last night's game, i don't understand how they reviewed it and not give the packers an interception. the packers player clearly had possession the whole time it wasn't even debatable imo

Once it was called that both players caught it at the same time, the offensive player gets the ball. It can not be reviewed.

bigjeep
09-25-2012, 10:01 AM
possesion on a simutaneously called catch is not reveiwable per the NFL. They can only review if the ball touched the ground. They said that a few times last night during the mayhem....

You beat me to the punch!

RoanokeFan
09-25-2012, 10:02 AM
Did they raise the price of concessions or merchandise, or the priced of the NFL Sunday Ticket. I think it was pretty clear that I wasnt talking specifically about the Giants here. It's an NFL issue, and this is all about the owners wanting a bigger piece of the pie in their pocket. Maybe not Mara specifically but the owners in general. NFL ticket is cheaper now than ever before

RoanokeFan
09-25-2012, 10:04 AM
possesion on a simutaneously called catch is not reveiwable per the NFL. They can only review if the ball touched the ground. They said that a few times last night during the mayhem.... Does that mean the call was correct?

GameTime
09-25-2012, 10:08 AM
Does that mean the call was correct?
nope....just means the possesion cant be reviewed.....

Flip Empty
09-25-2012, 10:10 AM
Does that mean the call was correct?
http://i.imgur.com/Kimnn.gif

At least one of them got it right...

RoanokeFan
09-25-2012, 10:12 AM
Funny. In 2008 I got some good seats for about 130 bucks. I tried to get about the same seats this year and they were averaging 300+ dollars. In other news Victor Cruz is about to be on Dan Patrick Season Ticket prices have not gone up. Open market sky is the limit

EnragedYouth85
09-25-2012, 10:13 AM
A horrible call that completely changed the outcome of the game and maybe the outcome of GB's season. You don't honestly know. I still don't think the labor talks will get fixed any faster because of this. People are still going to games, players are still playing, people still have NFL Sunday Ticket and people are watching the games in mass numbers..

I for one would be heated if this happened to the Giants but would I stop watching my team play? Certainly not.

RoanokeFan
09-25-2012, 10:14 AM
nope....just means the possesion cant be reviewed..... I still haven't seen it

Gimaniac
09-25-2012, 10:15 AM
The good thing about the replacement refs is it makes us forget how bad the regular refs are.

ShakeandBake
09-25-2012, 10:16 AM
I still haven't seen it

The officials on the field made the wrong call clearly, however the guys upstairs made the right call according to the rulebook in not overturning the call. Goodell also has the authority to overrule both and hand the game to the Pack, which would be an interesting chain of events to say the least.

RoanokeFan
09-25-2012, 10:20 AM
i
The officials on the field made the wrong call clearly, however the guys upstairs made the right call according to the rulebook in not overturning the call. Goodell also has the authority to overrule both and hand the game to the Pack, which would be an interesting chain of events to say the least.

Has Goodell ever done that?

EnragedYouth85
09-25-2012, 10:21 AM

That would be awesome if he did that. Like a boss!

Flip Empty
09-25-2012, 10:27 AM
David Stern style

RoanokeFan
09-25-2012, 10:28 AM

CDN_G-FAN
09-25-2012, 10:31 AM

there's no way he overturns the result of the game.

Can you imagine? Every game where there's a questionable call, fans would be screaming for him to overturn it!!!!!

GameTime
09-25-2012, 10:34 AM

Can you imagine? Every game where there's a questionable call, fans would be screaming for him to overturn it!!!!!
that call last night was NOT questionable....it was blatent.....
Jennings made the pick.....

ShakeandBake
09-25-2012, 10:35 AM

Not that I know of, nor do I expect him to do so, BUT he does have the power to do it

ShakeandBake
09-25-2012, 10:36 AM

I don't think he will overturn the game either, but if there was any situation that called for him to step in, it would be in this one so it definitely makes things interesting.

Buddy333
09-25-2012, 10:36 AM
Bottom line is that people are not talking about the game itself. They are talking about the bad calls. The last one is sticking in everyone's head but there where so man bad calls before that. He NFL should be embarrassed. Pay the guys that help make this game so great. It's getting so ridiculous that they should get even more than the asked for and should be on the field Thursday night.

JesseJames
09-25-2012, 10:44 AM
the call in last nights seahawks game gives more support to my argument that I've had for years that all calls should be reviewable, if you can review one then you can review all. Whats the big deal about making a call not reviewable, refs make mistakes all the time and this would keep a team from losing a game on a non reviewable call. Last nights game is a classic example of this...

Flip Empty
09-25-2012, 10:44 AM
No way he overturns it. If he did, he'd calling his own credibility into question since it's his fault it happened in the first place.

Flip Empty
09-25-2012, 10:47 AM
Bottom line is that people are not talking about the game itself. They are talking about the bad calls.
It's quite sad because it's overshadowing what was an impressive display of poise by a rookie quarterback. Yes, the pass was intercepted, but it was still bang on target, despite being thrown whilst on the run and whilst under duress.

Russell Wilson is going to be a damn good quarterback.

JesseJames
09-25-2012, 10:48 AM
Has Goodell ever done that? if Goodell ever over turned last nights call he would be openly admitting that these refs are terrible and are effecting the game and that might weaken his position in negotiations...

GameTime
09-25-2012, 10:49 AM
No way he overturns it. If he did, he'd calling his own credibility into question since it's his fault it happened in the first place.
how is this his fault?? Its the owners that dont want to pay

OX1
09-25-2012, 10:49 AM
100 threads around here that "the refs didn't beat us", a better team did
after the cowboys game. Pac should have put up at least 20 points, then
they didn't have to worry about it.

Flip Empty
09-25-2012, 10:52 AM
how is this his fault??
Because he's the boss :p

GameTime
09-25-2012, 10:56 AM
Because he's the boss :p
not of the owners he's not...
they are his bosses....all 32 of them

RichardMc
09-25-2012, 11:32 AM
I think they got it right. Once the ball is in the air it is a loose ball and is considered to be in the possession of the team that passed the ball. A catch is made when a player secures possession. A player is in possession when he has complete control and both feet or other part of his body, other than has hands, are completely on the ground inbounds and he maintains control long enough to perform any act common to the game. Before the Green Bay defender got both feet on the ground and performed an act common to the game the Seahawks reciever had taken possession as well and then it became simultaneous possession. I still think the replacement ref's are a disgrace, through they are doing their best I suppose.

PLAYER POSSESSION
Article 7 A player is in possession when he is in firm grip and control of the ball inbounds (See 3-2-3).
To gain possession of a loose ball (3-2-3) that has been caught, intercepted, or recovered, a player must have
complete control of the ball and have both feet or any other part of his body, other than his hands,
completely on the ground inbounds, and maintain control of the ball long enough to perform any act
common to the game. If the player loses the ball while simultaneously touching both feet or any other part
of his body to the ground or if there is any doubt that the acts were simultaneous, there is no possession.
This rule applies in the field of play and in the end zone.
The terms catch, intercept, recover, advance, and fumble denote player possession (as distinguished from
touching or muffing).

CATCH
A catch is made when a player inbounds secures possession of a pass, kick, or fumble in flight (See 8-1-3)

LOOSE BALL
Article 3 A Loose Ball is a live ball that is not in player possession, i.e., any kick, pass, or fumble. A loose ball
that has not yet struck the ground is In Flight. A loose ball (either during or after flight) is considered in
possession of team (offense) whose player kicked, passed, or fumbled. It ends when a player secures
possession or when the down ends if that is before such possession. (For exception, see 9-5-1-Exc. 3).

FIFTY6G-MAN
09-25-2012, 11:37 AM

At least one of them got it right...That shiite cracks me up, one ref signaling touchback, the other signaling TD as they look at each other!! Comedy Hour of NFL Bloopers !

CDN_G-FAN
09-25-2012, 11:42 AM
that call last night was NOT questionable....it was blatent.....
Jennings made the pick.....

i know but biased fans are certain that games are stolen from them.

i read page after page about how the Pack are the darlings of the NFL now, and Goodell wants them to move on, and the fix was in, but it didn't work, blah blah blah.

Last nights game proves that we don't look at these things objectively as fans who have a vested interest in a favoriate team.

fans will be screaming for overturned game results for bad pass interference calls in the 3rd quarter.

giantsforce
09-25-2012, 11:42 AM
NFL ticket is cheaper now than ever beforeThe Internet is even cheaper! Plenty of sites that stream it for free. Oh. the NFL is losing revenue? They got billions in tv rights and they make plenty in overpriced tickets, concession stands and licensed merchandise.

GameTime
09-25-2012, 11:44 AM

i read page after page about how the Pack are the darlings of the NFL now, and Goodell wants them to move on, and the fix was in, but it didn't work, blah blah blah.

Last nights game proves that we don't look at these things objectively as fans who have a vested interest in a favoriate team.

fans will be screaming for overturned game results for bad pass interference calls in the 3rd quarter.
human nature.....for sure...

giantsforce
09-25-2012, 11:45 AM

At least one of them got it right...Also, the ref on the right, was looking at Tate when he blatantly pushed off and he did not call it!

ImElectric2
09-25-2012, 12:17 PM
I think they got it right. Once the ball is in the air it is a loose ball and is considered to be in the possession of the team that passed the ball. A catch is made when a player secures possession. A player is in possession when he has complete control and both feet or other part of his body, other than has hands, are completely on the ground inbounds and he maintains control long enough to perform any act common to the game. Before the Green Bay defender got both feet on the ground and performed an act common to the game the Seahawks reciever had taken possession as well and then it became simultaneous possession. I still think the replacement ref's are a disgrace, through they are doing their best I suppose.PLAYER POSSESSIONArticle 7 A player is in possession when he is in firm grip and control of the ball inbounds (See 3-2-3).To gain possession of a loose ball (3-2-3) that has been caught, intercepted, or recovered, a player must have complete control of the ball and have both feet or any other part of his body, other than his hands, completely on the ground inbounds, and maintain control of the ball long enough to perform any act common to the game. If the player loses the ball while simultaneously touching both feet or any other part of his body to the ground or if there is any doubt that the acts were simultaneous, there is no possession. This rule applies in the field of play and in the end zone.The terms catch, intercept, recover, advance, and fumble denote player possession (as distinguished from touching or muffing).CATCHA catch is made when a player inbounds secures possession of a pass, kick, or fumble in flight (See 8-1-3)LOOSE BALLArticle 3 A Loose Ball is a live ball that is not in player possession, i.e., any kick, pass, or fumble. A loose ball that has not yet struck the ground is In Flight. A loose ball (either during or after flight) is considered in possession of team (offense) whose player kicked, passed, or fumbled. It ends when a player secures possession or when the down ends if that is before such possession. (For exception, see 9-5-1-Exc. 3).THANK YOU! How is that getting so lost? If the DB was alone in the corner of the endzone and drops the ball on the way to the ground IRS NOT A CATCH. He did not come down with the ball and possess it (think a receiver coming down with a sideline catch and the ball coming out when he hits the turf). It was a dual catch by the time they came to the ground. Also disregarded are the 2 bogus 3rd down calls against Seattle on GBs go-ahead scoring drive that essentially gave GB a TD when they should have had AT BEST a field goal. Take away those spotted 4 points and Seattle runs out the.clock to win with a field goal on that drive they had prior to the 2 min warning.

CowboysSuck
09-25-2012, 02:15 PM
possesion on a simutaneously called catch is not reveiwable per the NFL. They can only review if the ball touched the ground. They said that a few times last night during the mayhem....

Actually, no. The NFL clarified this around 12 oclock noon today. The play IS reviewable for possession but ONLY in the end-zone.

ridiculous

CowboysSuck
09-25-2012, 02:20 PM
Possession WAS reviewable last night! How did these "real refs" upstairs not get notified of this in the what...5 MINUTES between the play and the review? debacle.

YATittle1962
09-25-2012, 02:51 PM
oh how I long for the days of Pete Rozelle

this would never have happened with Pete as commissioner.

Pete had a certain power that neither Tagliabue nor Goodell had/have

GameTime
09-25-2012, 02:56 PM

kind of of before or just on the cusp of it becoming a money making machine.......
greed kills.....

PRGiant
09-25-2012, 02:58 PM
THANK YOU! How is that getting so lost? If the DB was alone in the corner of the endzone and drops the ball on the way to the ground IRS NOT A CATCH. He did not come down with the ball and possess it (think a receiver coming down with a sideline catch and the ball coming out when he hits the turf). It was a dual catch by the time they came to the ground. Also disregarded are the 2 bogus 3rd down calls against Seattle on GBs go-ahead scoring drive that essentially gave GB a TD when they should have had AT BEST a field goal. Take away those spotted 4 points and Seattle runs out the.clock to win with a field goal on that drive they had prior to the 2 min warning.

Count me in on this, Jennings catch it in the air, that's not posession, then got 1 feet down, still no posession, by the time he got the second feet down, the receiver had 2 hands on it and Jennings 1 hand, to his chest no doubt but 1 hand, so I saw it as dual posession after the replay from the back. Now, that was offensive interference! LOL

RichardMc
09-25-2012, 04:10 PM

You and me both.

CruzSoldier
09-25-2012, 04:21 PM
To sum up last night's game it's like watching a boxer fighting in his home town clearly losing the fight then getting the garbage decision at the end. It probably is one of the worse calls i've ever seen in my 25 years of watching football. You can clearly see that the WR only has one hand on the football and the defender clearly comes down on top of him then he places the other hand on the ball after a few seconds.....WTF?

Drez
09-25-2012, 04:46 PM
Funny. In 2008 I got some good seats for about 130 bucks. I tried to get about the same seats this year and they were averaging 300+ dollars.

In other news Victor Cruz is about to be on Dan Patrick
3 years ago would be the 2009 season. More to the point, I believe Ro was saying that they haven't raised prices since the new stadium opened.

ImElectric2
09-25-2012, 04:50 PM
To sum up last night's game it's like watching a boxer fighting in his home town clearly losing the fight then getting the garbage decision at the end. It probably is one of the worse calls i've ever seen in my 25 years of watching football. You can clearly see that the WR only has one hand on the football and the defender clearly comes down on top of him then he places the other hand on the ball after a few seconds.....WTF?Here's the thing though....remember that B.S. Calvin Johnson play that they ruled incomplete when it was a TD? Thats how they're calling things now. If that wasn't a TD (and by letter of the law it wasn't despite me disagreeing...)than the DB did not have an interception. If he was alone in the endzone, grabbed the ball in the air, came to the turf, and the ball squirted out when he hit the ground they're going to say that he did not secure possession and the pass was incomplete. The difference here is that there was a fight for the ball in mid air and by the time either cme to the ground they both had control simultaneously. It's like when the WR gets 2 feet in bounds on the sideline but there's movement of the ball when he hits the ground. It's incomplete everytime. Why is it difference because it was another person securing the ball rather than just landing incomplete?

JesseJames

amen to that...

Drez
If the players really care about having the "real" refs back, then honor the ref's strike and don't play. Or are the players to greedy to miss a pay check? If the players refused to play next week the "real" refs would be back faster then you can say Eli!
They can't strike. It'd be a CBA violation. Not too sure what the ramifications would be, but I'm sure it wouldn't be pretty (such as, it could completely void the CBA).

cornerback30
09-25-2012, 04:56 PM
What if this would have been the SuperBowl or the NFC Championship game involving the Giants,man I would be PISSED,and I'm way down here in the Louisiana,I could imagine what you guys up there in NY and NJ would do.If this would happen in the Superdome in the SuperBowl and it would have been the Saints,and the refs pulled this ****,I pretty much guarantee they would need multiple police escort outta the stadium and on the way to their destination.Im a Giant fan since 86 and I root for them all out,but Green Bay got screwed big time last night and if nothing isn't done its only a matter of time before something like this happens to us

Drez
09-25-2012, 04:56 PM

Even with as bad of a call as this was, it isn't like the regular refs haven't completely ****ed games before... Think the playoff game against SF in '03.

slipknottin
09-25-2012, 05:01 PM
What if this would have been the SuperBowl or the NFC Championship game involving the Giants

Did you watch the giants playoff game against GB last season? The refs clearly made TWO major screw ups to give GB 14 points. That EASILY could have cost the giants the game, had the giants not been so exceptional that day.

Refs screw up calls all the time, look at the Calvin Johnson "no catch" that lost Detroit the game. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0Q4tKnfaIY&feature=player_embedded

The ONLY reason these calls are getting talked about more is because these arent the normal refs. Had they been the normal refs this sort of thing still happens all the time.

cornerback30
09-25-2012, 05:01 PM
Yeah man but friend or foe man that call cost those guys the game and what makes me sick is to hear tate say I don't know what you're talking about,needs his *** whipped then maybe that would refreshen him memory