PDA

View Full Version : Giants' Andre Brown will likely play behind Ahmad Bradshaw

RoanokeFan
09-25-2012, 11:16 AM
Giants' Andre Brown will likely play behind Ahmad Bradshaw, who returns from injury this week

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/ny-giants-andre-brown-play-behind-ahmad-bradshaw-returns-injury-week-article-1.1167519

Excerpt: "Andre Brown may have revived the Giants’ rushing attack over the last two weeks, but Ahmad Bradshaw (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Ahmad+Bradshaw)
is now ready to take his job back.

Bradshaw was cleared by doctors on Monday to return to practice this week, according to a source familiar with his situation. Bradshaw missed the Giants’ win in Carolina on Thursday with a sprained neck that he suffered early in the Giants’ win over the Buccaneers on Sept. 16.

Since then, Brown has more than adequately filled in for Bradshaw, rushing for 184 yards on 33 carries and an impressive 5.6 yards per carry with three touchdowns. Bradshaw is averaging 4.3 yards per carry (22 carries, 94 yards), though that average was boosted by a 33-yard, garbage-time run on opening night." Read more...

GameTime
09-25-2012, 11:19 AM
as it should be until one emerges as the clearly superior

RoanokeFan
09-25-2012, 11:21 AM
Not a surprise

GMan-67
09-25-2012, 11:22 AM
his pass protection is better and Babin and Cole are dangerous, so it's probably a smart move, but like everyone im excited to see if Brown can pick up where he left off against a legit D ... Brown will get a good number of carries, IMO ... maybe 15-18

JJC7301
09-25-2012, 11:27 AM
I say give both equal opportunities until one proves that he can run better against the Eagles D, then stick with that guy. Brown probably will do a better job of running between the tackles, which is probably a better way of run-attacking that D, as opposed to bouncing it outside.

Flip Empty
09-25-2012, 11:27 AM
No different to when Jacobs was with the team. Brown will get his chances.

RoanokeFan
09-25-2012, 11:33 AM
No different to when Jacobs was with the team. Brown will get his chances.

+1

BigBlue1971
09-25-2012, 12:33 PM
i think AB1 as the #1 is proper. AB2 hasnt shown enough (yet) to be the #1 imo!

it is a good problem to have especially if both players are buying in.

i look forward to this duo carving defenses up!

Joe Morrison
09-25-2012, 12:42 PM
Bradshaw is clear to practice, don't know if he will be ready to fly on Sunday so expect to see Brown in there. If Bradshaw does suit up I think he will be limited until he is fully healed.

TheAnalyst
09-25-2012, 12:45 PM
I'm just glad this showed us how much depth we have. The ABs will hold down the fort.

moosedrool
09-25-2012, 12:53 PM
AB2 hasnt shown enough (yet) to be the #1 imo!

Brown's Yards After Contact is 3.7. That is the average the led the entire NFL last year. And from what I've seen, he has shown more than enough, and more than Bradshaw.

RoanokeFan
09-25-2012, 01:03 PM
Bradshaw is clear to practice, don't know if he will be ready to fly on Sunday so expect to see Brown in there. If Bradshaw does suit up I think he will be limited until he is fully healed.

Brown is going to play no matter what Bradshaw does or doesn't do.

RoanokeFan
09-25-2012, 01:04 PM
Brown's Yards After Contact is 3.7. That is the average the led the entire NFL last year. And from what I've seen, he has shown more than enough, and more than Bradshaw.

The key could be the revamped offensive line. How much does that affect the equation?

moosedrool
09-25-2012, 01:14 PM
The key could be the revamped offensive line. How much does that affect the equation?

Location of first contact evaluates the OL, Yards after contact evaluates the RB.

Bing Crosby
09-25-2012, 01:15 PM

We will find out this week. If Bradshaw can't move the ball this week, but Brown can I expect a lot of people here being ready for Bradshaw to take a backseat to Andre, right or wrong.

Laurah1275
09-25-2012, 01:18 PM
Poor us....having such quality problems at depth....sigh...:)

Blueshine
09-25-2012, 02:14 PM
I think everyone wants AB 1 to come back and be the lead back with AB 2 to fill in. The reality is that AB 1 has had a lot of damage to his wheels. We should give him as much time to recover and be healthy as possible. Rely on AB2 more heavily and allow AB1 to begin to come back. If he is taking his opportunities and busting them loose and there are no signs of damaged wheels then move him back into top slot. The best thing is to have a handful of fresh backs than 1 with game exposure with bad wheels.

joemorrisforprez
09-25-2012, 02:46 PM
Bradshaw needs to pick his game up......throw out that 33 yard garbage time run, and he's averaging 2.9 yards per carry this season.

If the line is the real reason the running game has improved, then I expect to see something around the 5+ yards per carry that Andre Brown has averaged.

This is a huge game....if Bradshaw is getting the start, he needs to produce.

I'll be so pissed if they sit the hot hand and go back to the same anemic, predictable running game that Philly stuffs on a regular basis.

RoanokeFan
09-25-2012, 02:47 PM
We will find out this week. If Bradshaw can't move the ball this week, but Brown can I expect a lot of people here being ready for Bradshaw to take a backseat to Andre, right or wrong.

No doubt

joemorrisforprez
09-25-2012, 02:59 PM

If that situation develops, then Bradshaw would need to take a seat....you can't swap out your entire offensive line during the season to match the running style of Bradshaw.....not when Brown is getting it done.

Bottom line.....Bradshaw needs to play as well as Brown has to merit keeping his starting status.

GameTime
09-25-2012, 03:01 PM
If that situation develops, then Bradshaw would need to take a seat....you can't swap out your entire offensive line during the season to match the running style of Bradshaw.....not when Brown is getting it done.

Bottom line.....Bradshaw needs to play as well as Brown has to merit keeping his starting status.
I am confident that TC, KG, and Bradshaw know this....

RoanokeFan
09-25-2012, 03:02 PM
;m

It isn't about anyone "taking a seat." We don't use our running backs that way. They will both play and get a share of the snaps. Whoever is playing better, if either, will get more snaps than the guy who isn't.

egyptian420
09-25-2012, 03:02 PM
We have so much depth now that no one has even mentioned our first round draft pick in this thread. Clearly it ain't his time yet but that's actually a good problem to have.

If your team is picking at 32 and there is so much depth on the team that the first round draft pick isn't even starting at his position, consider yourself lucky.

RoanokeFan
09-25-2012, 03:04 PM
We have so much depth now that no one has even mentioned our first round draft pick in this thread. Clearly it ain't his time yet but that's actually a good problem to have.

If your team is picking at 32 and there is so much depth on the team that the first round draft pick isn't even starting at his position, consider yourself lucky.

It's almost amazing the depth we have at RB and WR

moosedrool
09-25-2012, 03:29 PM

I hope the Giants don't try to find out the answer to this question in a very important division game. If it aint broke don't fix it.

sharick88
09-25-2012, 03:31 PM
My only question is why? Personally, I would have just gone with the hot hand. If it's not broken, don't fix it

RoanokeFan
09-25-2012, 03:32 PM
I hope the Giants don't try to find out the answer to this question in a very important division game. If it aint broke don't fix it.

What are you afraid is going to happen with Bradshaw and Brown playing in tandem?

RoanokeFan
09-25-2012, 03:33 PM
My only question is why? Personally, I would have just gone with the hot hand. If it's not broken, don't fix it

You act as though Brown is going to be benched, which is not the case.

sharick88
09-25-2012, 03:39 PM
You act as though Brown is going to be benched, which is not the case.

We'll see. I'm not worried too much about whose starting. I'm just worried about the current right guy getting the most carries. IMO, that should be Brown until or if he starts stinking up the joint.

Dwinsballgames
09-25-2012, 03:40 PM
The Giants have been utilizing running back by committee since Tiki retired, why would anyone think that would change now?

GameTime
09-25-2012, 03:41 PM
The Giants have been utilizing running back by committee since Tiki retired, why would anyone think that would change now?
ding ding ding......

we have a winner......

RoanokeFan
09-25-2012, 03:45 PM
We'll see. I'm not worried too much about whose starting. I'm just worried about the current right guy getting the most carries. IMO, that should be Brown until or if he starts stinking up the joint.

We went through this with Jacobs and Bradshaw and we witnessed what happens. The RB who is gaining yards, continues to get the ball UNLESS he fumbles, which Bradshaw did and they went back to Jacobs who normally didn't. Then they went back to Bradshaw when they felt he had mastered hanging onto the ball.

GiantWarfare
09-25-2012, 03:55 PM
I hope Wilson pans out so we can have an Earth (Brown) Wind (Wilson) and Fire (Bradshaw) Redux

burier
09-25-2012, 03:56 PM
You can't bench Bradshaw because he was unfortunate enough to miss a game against an ill prepared carolina squad. That's an easy way to lose a locker room.

RoanokeFan
09-25-2012, 04:05 PM
You can't bench Bradshaw because he was unfortunate enough to miss a game against an ill prepared carolina squad. That's an easy way to lose a locker room.

All very true. And we haven't used ONE RB ever in a very long time so it's really a moot point. Bradshaw in or Bradshaw out, Brown is going to get a good number of snaps on Sunday.

Diamondring
09-25-2012, 04:37 PM
Brown should still be the starter. He is young and should try to be able to get 1,000 yards as a rookie. Bradshaws running style is too hard on his body so he should stay as backup.

moosedrool
09-25-2012, 04:52 PM

I don't think anyone said bench Bradshaw. You need more than one RB in this league. I just want to see Brown get the majority of the carries...70%-80%. And regarding the running back by commitee since Tiki, if we had a power back with elusiveness back then I don't think we would have had a commitee.

RoanokeFan
09-25-2012, 04:56 PM
I don't think anyone said bench Bradshaw. You need more than one RB in this league. I just want to see Brown get the majority of the carries...70%-80%. And regarding the running back by commitee since Tiki, if we had a power back with elusiveness back then I don't think we would have had a commitee.

But that's just what we have, it's not designed to give one o the other RB significantly more snaps. It's designed to extend their shelf life in the NFL. You need to have two backs who are equally effective and that can change depending on the team on the other side of the ball.

moosedrool
09-25-2012, 05:43 PM
Well, we'll see. I know Scott and Wilson are inexperienced, but Brown received almost all of the snaps before the game got out of hand. No committee vs Carolina.

RoanokeFan
09-25-2012, 06:01 PM
Well, we'll see. I know Scott and Wilson are inexperienced, but Brown received almost all of the snaps before the game got out of hand. No committee vs Carolina.

That would have to do with fumblitis, more than likely. Wilson and Scott will continue to get opportunities as the season moves along. No t.elling who will be in the backfield when we enter the playoffs

nycsportzfan
09-25-2012, 06:39 PM
The thing is that Bradshaw is injury prone and it won't be long before Andre Brown gets another chance to show hes the legit runner we think he is.. If AB goes down once more and Brown plays how hes been, then its gonna be backup for AB, whcih is actually good for everyone invloved, becuase it might keep AB healthier.. I think AB should bea 9-13 carry a game guy at this point... Give Brown 15-20, and maybe scott and wilson 2-5 per game combined..

RoanokeFan
09-25-2012, 07:42 PM
The thing is that Bradshaw is injury prone and it won't be long before Andre Brown gets another chance to show hes the legit runner we think he is.. If AB goes down once more and Brown plays how hes been, then its gonna be backup for AB, whcih is actually good for everyone invloved, becuase it might keep AB healthier.. I think AB should bea 9-13 carry a game guy at this point... Give Brown 15-20, and maybe scott and wilson 2-5 per game combined..

This isn't a case of "replacing" Bradshaw, it's a case of sharing the load. Brown is going to get plenty of playing time on Sunday

BigBlue1971
09-25-2012, 07:49 PM

yea im hoping both ABs can contribute to the running game success! but i still say AB1 is the main man at this point!

AB2 filled in for Bradshaw while he is out and did an outstanding job! but imo that still doesnt make him the #1 at this point.

as many have said here nothings wrong with having two ABs running the ball! maybe opposing defenses will be confused by the twins!

Captain Chaos
09-25-2012, 08:05 PM
I can't wait to see what Bradshaw does behind a much improved O line!

RoanokeFan
09-25-2012, 08:10 PM
I can't wait to see what Bradshaw does behind a much improved O line!

We'll see on Sunday

davepc
09-25-2012, 08:15 PM
But....I read right here on these boards the Andrew Brown is as good as Jim Brown!!@!#!@$!@$!

giantsfan420
09-25-2012, 09:46 PM
a few things;
one-practicing with ur teammates really is important especiallyin the run game. bradshaw, when "healthy" is relegated to practing once or twice (if we're lucky) a week. If Brown can practice every day, contribute as well as bradshaw even tho he may not be as skilled, then I think you gotta start off with Brown, and work Bradshaw in not the other way around.

two-if 44 starts, he better start off hot. running games depend on rhythm and momentum. if we go with bradshaw, and get no help from the run game the first 3 drives (as TC splits the carries by drives usually not series unless its a specific run situation) then u may as well not even play brown bc it wll be unlikely to get the run game going vs philly at home after they've bottled us up for the first 8 carries to bradshaw (hypothetically.)

three- bradshaw has feet issues. we all know that. it may very well be for the best for the team AND 44 to have him spell Brown and not the other way. it will extend his quality of play.

four- bradshaws best play imo wasnt as the starter. i dunno if anone remembers but he got the starting nod basically by default bc BJ was in a serious decline. Bradshaw wasnt wowing anyone and forcing us to start him, it was just BJ was near the end especially w/ our OL. 44 made more sense with the OL we had. But I always felt 44 was at his most dangerous to defenses when he came in after our power back consistently churned out 4 tough yards, and he'd come in and jitterbug all over the place breaking tackles and playing with such passion. maybe if we lower his snaps some, that passion returns a little bc he'd have more to give for each run

jmho

edit- and i know they'll be splitting the carries i was saying we should start w/ brown tho and give him like 60% to Bradshaws 40

giantsfan420
09-25-2012, 09:51 PM
start with brown if for nothing else, we dont get any yards, tackling brown takes more energy than tackling bradshaw imo. make philly tackle brown 10x and they should be gassed for 44

Redeyejedi
09-25-2012, 09:52 PM
A Bradshaw has not looked. If he continues to not let blocks develop he needs to come off the field.

joemorrisforprez
09-25-2012, 09:56 PM
a few things;
one-practicing with ur teammates really is important especiallyin the run game. bradshaw, when "healthy" is relegated to practing once or twice (if we're lucky) a week. If Brown can practice every day, contribute as well as bradshaw even tho he may not be as skilled, then I think you gotta start off with Brown, and work Bradshaw in not the other way around.

I think Bradshaw's lack of practice with his line is a major reason for the struggles in the running game......that and his propensity to free style if an immediate hole doesn't open up.

joemorrisforprez
09-25-2012, 09:57 PM
We went through this with Jacobs and Bradshaw and we witnessed what happens. The RB who is gaining yards, continues to get the ball UNLESS he fumbles, which Bradshaw did and they went back to Jacobs who normally didn't. Then they went back to Bradshaw when they felt he had mastered hanging onto the ball.

The running game went downhill after they switched from Jacobs-Bradshaw to Bradshaw-Jacobs.

GameTime
09-25-2012, 09:59 PM
A Bradshaw has not looked. If he continues to not let blocks develop he needs to come off the field.
Bradshaw and Brown will be the Giants new running tandem.....You will see that Sunday night

joemorrisforprez
09-25-2012, 09:59 PM
Location of first contact evaluates the OL, Yards after contact evaluates the RB.

EXCELLENT point.

joemorrisforprez
09-25-2012, 10:01 PM
What are you afraid is going to happen with Bradshaw and Brown playing in tandem?

I know this question was for someone else.....but I'm afraid of Bradshaw getting stonewalled on a critical 3rd and 2......the type of downs that Andre Brown has been nailing for the past 2 wins.

RoanokeFan
09-25-2012, 10:07 PM
I know this question was for someone else.....but I'm afraid of Bradshaw getting stonewalled on a critical 3rd and 2......the type of downs that Andre Brown has been nailing for the past 2 wins. If Bradshaw "starts" Brown will be the 3rd down back. As a tandem, they are going to share the load. They will split the snaps and if one is significantly better, he will get more snaps.

bbdynasty
09-25-2012, 10:34 PM
I have a feeling Bradshaw will break one or two this next game, just to remind the Giants of his value. He will be motivated, and hopefully his energy will rub off on the rest of the O. If Bradshaw and Brown maintain healthy competition throughout the season, that will be a beautiful thing

Joe Morrison
09-26-2012, 12:12 AM
We'll see on Sunday
The line is not improved, it's still a work in progress, what has changed is Brown makes quick decisions and runs down hill, doesn't jump around like Bradshaw.

moosedrool
09-26-2012, 12:30 AM
The line is not improved, it's still a work in progress, what has changed is Brown makes quick decisions and runs down hill, doesn't jump around like Bradshaw.

I agree with your assessment on Brown and Bradshaw, but the OL with Beatty at LT, Locklear at RT, and Diehl out is significantly better.

Joe Morrison
09-26-2012, 12:32 AM
I agree with your assessment on Brown and Bradshaw, but the OL with Beatty at LT, Locklear at RT, and Diehl out is significantly better.
I hope you're right, not sold on the yet, still think center could be improved, that's the foundation.

derekunion28
09-26-2012, 12:51 AM
from what i heard no matter what u dont lose a job from injurie...butt show and prove if u hot you stay in same as alllways with the giants they will split ...carries.....were i see a PROBLEM is if BEATTY is at left and LOCKLEAR at right and there playing great as a group what do you do with DAVID.........heres the thing if you go by the rule is you dont lose your job to injurie.....were was davids spot being they allways moved around do to guys going out .... gota go with the best lineman against they worst and at this point they all move around in spots....odd scenerio

Toadofsteel
09-26-2012, 12:54 AM
Bradshaw will most likely start if he dresses, but I see Brown getting more carries until Bradshaw gets healthy. The fact is, however, that Bradshaw has problems staying healthy, while Wilson and Scott are still dealing with their fumblitis. Brown is healthy, and NEVER FUMBLES... that's why he got the nod last week, and it's why he will continue to shine.

nycsportzfan
09-26-2012, 02:44 AM
This isn't a case of "replacing" Bradshaw, it's a case of sharing the load. Brown is going to get plenty of playing time on Sunday Agreed.. I'm just saying that i think the scale will be tipped in Brown's favor if Bradshaw is to get injured again.. For now of course he will be the leader of a tandem duo, which is fine hes earned it, but it won't be so bad if Brown gets the edge in carries because it could keep Abradshaw healhy for a change...

TheShouldersOf
09-26-2012, 02:45 AM
Brown is healthy, and NEVER FUMBLES... that's why he got the nod last week, and it's why he will continue to shine.

Fumbled Twice in one Preseason game

bbdynasty
09-26-2012, 02:47 AM
Fumbled Twice in one Preseason game

lol right? i was beginning to think ppl forgot that... just b/c we recovered the fumble doesnt mean it didnt happen

M00KIE
09-26-2012, 04:13 AM
We'll always use more than 1 back. Those days are over. So who "starts" is pretty irrelevant.

RoanokeFan
09-26-2012, 07:57 AM

If you don't the the line has improved, you didn't watch the Panthers' game. Improved means they did better than the first two games. Even I could see holes for a truck to go through. Was it because the Panthers suck? Only time will tell. But if you're hinting it was all Brown, you really didn't watch the game. Brown was successful, in large measure, because he was very patient waiting for holes to open up and that's GREAT

RoanokeFan
09-26-2012, 07:59 AM

Brown is gong to play whether Bradshaw does or not. When is the last time we had a one running back offense?

fletch842
09-26-2012, 08:08 AM
Remember folks, Bradshaw's injury that kept him out of the last game was neck issue from that brutal hit, not a recurrence of his foot problems. The Giant's team Dr's are very conservative, and would not have cleared him if his neck wasn't healthy. I don't think this will be an issue at all during the game.

Redeyejedi
09-26-2012, 08:27 AM
Agreed.. I'm just saying that i think the scale will be tipped in Brown's favor if Bradshaw is to get injured again.. For now of course he will be the leader of a tandem duo, which is fine hes earned it, but it won't be so bad if Brown gets the edge in carries because it could keep Abradshaw healhy for a change...Its not even health its the way Bradshaw is running. No patience at all. Brown is letting blocks develop. Bradshaw is running like a rookie. I think the quickness of this Eagle front is going to cause are line fits.If the Giants are going to win its going to be Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz attacking the Eagles secondary

BklynBlue
09-26-2012, 09:41 AM
his pass protection is better and Babin and Cole are dangerous, so it's probably a smart move, but like everyone im excited to see if Brown can pick up where he left off against a legit D ... Brown will get a good number of carries, IMO ... maybe 15-18

15-18 sounds a bit high.

NYKiller
09-26-2012, 10:25 AM
Bradshaw is finish. He is no longer good enough to be a number one back. It wasn't the O-Line alone that was responsible for the Giants last rank rushing attack last season. I predict Bradshaw will perform to the best of his ability in order to remain the number one back, he will start out looking good, but as the season goes along, Brown will show that he is the best man for the job as long as he is given enough carries.

GameTime
09-26-2012, 11:16 AM
Bradshaw is finish. He is no longer good enough to be a number one back. It wasn't the O-Line alone that was responsible for the Giants last rank rushing attack last season. I predict Bradshaw will perform to the best of his ability in order to remain the number one back, he will start out looking good, but as the season goes along, Brown will show that he is the best man for the job as long as he is given enough carries.
so is he finished or is just a #1 back thats getting "football old"??

NorwoodBlue
09-26-2012, 06:02 PM
I think Bradshaw has alot of good running in him; but it's second half running after a back like Brown wears a defense down some. That's when he was most successful. When he starts he cutback BS in the first quarter it doesn't wear a defense down, and it's not successful because the defense isn't tired. He was never suited to be an every down back, and he'll find success again if they use him later in the game

RoanokeFan
09-26-2012, 06:15 PM
]The thing is that Bradshaw is injury prone and it won't be long before Andre Brown gets another chance to show hes the legit runner we think he is. If AB goes down once more and Brown plays how hes been, then its gonna be backup for AB, whcih is actually good for everyone invloved, becuase it might keep AB healthier.. I think AB should bea 9-13 carry a game guy at this point... Give Brown 15-20, and maybe scott and wilson 2-5 per game combined..

Where do you think Brown is going?

TheShouldersOf
09-27-2012, 02:58 AM
'Cut Back' style runners/running is not the problem, if you have the Talent/Speed/Elusiveness/Vision to pull it off,

the panthers were defending heavily on the Pass, creating open spaces the offensive line played a great game, Brown hit a hole and had the open spaces,

though if you look at his stats for the Game, and i posted them somewhere here, he had 3 runs over 10 yards, 31,19,16, a couple no gains, and the rest were between 3-7 yards, nothing horrid about the stats, but nothing Groundbreaking,

as stated prior he was the only cause of Eli getting sacked in that game, he had a missed block in preseason, and had Two Fumbles in one game in preseason likewise

it happens, it's football, but he has not been completely 'Clean'

what brown lacks, or what i've seen thus far is that 'Elusiveness' and whilst it may be a Cliche word, it kind of fits, on that one short pass play, he could have gained far more yards, he knew it, the announcers knew it, I'm sure us at home knew it, the big gains were due to the Panthers playing off the pass, creating open spaces,