PDA

View Full Version : My $0.02 on the Replacement Refs

TrueBlue10
09-25-2012, 05:45 PM
I know it's not going well, and I think that if the real refs want more money (I assume that's what it's about, though I haven't been following the dispute) then the NFL can certainly afford to pay them and should do so!

That said,

I hope the players, coaches, fans, and especially THE MEDIA remember to apply these huuuuuuuuuge levels of scrutiny once the regular refs come back.

TheAnalyst
09-25-2012, 05:48 PM
I think they will if the calls are this bad. did you watch the last 2 games, the Sunday Night and Monday night games? Those could be the 2 worst officiated games I have ever seen.... well, I guess there was the Packers games last year with the real refs too :-)

TrueBlue10
09-25-2012, 05:55 PM
No doubt there have been some terrible calls.

hmmm, terrible calls by the refs. When has that happened before? Oh yea, every other game in every other sport ever!

PS - Giants/Niners '03 playoff. I rest my case.

TheAnalyst
09-25-2012, 05:59 PM
No doubt there have been some terrible calls.

hmmm, terrible calls by the refs. When has that happened before? Oh yea, every other game in every other sport ever!

PS - Giants/Niners '03 playoff. I rest my case.

True, that call was horrible and ended our season, but these refs make that mistake every other play it seems like.

eastbayblue
09-25-2012, 06:23 PM
I know it's not going well, and I think that if the real refs want more money (I assume that's what it's about, though I haven't been following the dispute) then the NFL can certainly afford to pay them and should do so!

That said,

I hope the players, coaches, fans, and especially THE MEDIA remember to apply these huuuuuuuuuge levels of scrutiny once the regular refs come back.

It's not just about money it's about pension plans. The refs want a pension plan for what amounts to a part time job. Who gets a pension plan anymore!
I understand the NFL's position and at some point you just have to say no, know matter how bad things are.
I mean it's like a hostage situation... I do want them back though.

NYFG
09-25-2012, 07:05 PM
This pic sums it up perfectly

http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/just-too-true-36.jpg?w=500&h=292

TrueBlue10
09-25-2012, 07:44 PM
@easyblue

Pensions aren't money?

@NYFG

That sums the perception up perfectly... just not the reality.

CDN_G-FAN
09-25-2012, 07:57 PM
east bay is saying that it's not like they've asked for an increased salary.

they're trying to convert their pension plan from a defined benefit plan (where you're guarnteed a certain benefit irrespective of how financially successful the plan's investments are) to a defined contribution (where they get whatever the plan can afford to pay out based on what you paid in).

basically the whole western world in converting to defined contribution plans (defined benefit plan was largely what sunk GM), and there's no way the NFL is just going to cave when it just converted their FULL TIME employees to the same proposed plan.

CowboysSuck
09-25-2012, 08:13 PM

That said,

If they cave, and hand the refs exactly what they want, what leverage (if any) does that give the OWNERS of this product in future contracts and labor disputes? just about none, please, please people think economically. Think business. Think realistic.

CowboysSuck
09-25-2012, 08:16 PM
At the set of the sun everyday, this will always be a business. One does not just go around handing their employees everything they want do they? Would you?

derekunion28
09-25-2012, 08:28 PM
and the want to beable to rate them and add 22 more or something like that ... i em a union guy so have to side with refs...who in there right mind wouldnt want a pension plan....thats what they have...and they want to make it a 401k from what i read heard it costs each team about 150 grand its peanuts