PDA

View Full Version : KIcking Tynes when he's down...

BigBluePoint
09-25-2012, 05:25 PM
I am sure someone gave Lawrence Tynes some proper on this board previously. He's like a golfer right now in a groove, hitting his iron shots straight and true. Me, personally,Tynes always scared the crap out of me even though he's made some big kicks for us. But he looks like a totally different kicker this year. I kept saying to my wife during the game, he's hitting each ball beautifully, almost perfectly down the middle. Hope I didn't put the jinx on him for this week. But he's never been better and I think he deserves big props. We'll see what the future has in store, but I'm sure he'll figure in big time one way or another.

Itlan
09-25-2012, 05:28 PM
He's going to go 0-7 and we're going to lose by a point this weekend.

Thanks, bro. Good job.

GameTime
09-25-2012, 05:30 PM
He isnt down and he has been given props. Has already figured big in both SB playoff runs and the SBs....

contrary to poular belief these boards dont jinx anything....

(crap...I hope I didnt just jinx Tynes by saying this cant jinx him...lol)

FBomb
09-25-2012, 05:34 PM
I don't understand this thread. Is Tynes "down"? And who is kicking him?

Tynes has been solid for several years now.

swimeasy
09-25-2012, 05:36 PM
Actually, I can relate to the OP's comments. I think the difference is Weatherford. They have great chemistry and trust and confidence in each other. Weatherford helps keep Tynes loose.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n265/Taroleon/GIFS/kickers.jpg

ashleymarie
09-25-2012, 05:37 PM
He isnt down and he has been given props. Has already figured big in both SB playoff runs and the SBs....

We know who to come looking for if he misses on Sunday. :mad: LOL :D

GameTime
09-25-2012, 05:40 PM
We know who to come looking for if he misses on Sunday. :mad: LOL :D
I am also known as RoanokeFan.......:confused:

RoanokeFan
09-25-2012, 06:04 PM
I am sure someone gave Lawrence Tynes some proper on this board previously. He's like a golfer right now in a groove, hitting his iron shots straight and true. Me, personally,Tynes always scared the crap out of me even though he's made some big kicks for us. But he looks like a totally different kicker this year. I kept saying to my wife during the game, he's hitting each ball beautifully, almost perfectly down the middle. Hope I didn't put the jinx on him for this week. But he's never been better and I think he deserves big props. We'll see what the future has in store, but I'm sure he'll figure in big time one way or another.

Tynes, Weatherford and the coverage team have gotten a lot of positive feedback.

RoanokeFan
09-25-2012, 06:05 PM
I am also known as RoanokeFan.......:confused:

LMAO you are such a tool :popcorn:

GameTime
09-25-2012, 06:17 PM
LMAO you are such a tool :popcorn:

yes I am .....:rolleyes:

CruzSoldier
09-25-2012, 06:19 PM
Ofcourse he's kicking good he's a free Agent after this season.....he want's to get paid

nhpgiantsfan
09-25-2012, 06:19 PM
I will admit I was one of those that wanted nothing to do with him kicking a potential winning field goal in last years SB, and I was so glad Bradshaw scored. But I must agree he looks to be very sharp this year.

G-MENBK
09-25-2012, 06:20 PM
I'm not going to lie: I still get a little nervous when he attempts a long field goal, and that will amplify once the wind picks up as the season progresses.

ashleymarie
09-25-2012, 06:26 PM
I'm not going to lie: I still get a little nervous when he attempts a long field goal, and that will amplify once the wind picks up as the season progresses.

I get those twinges of dread at times too.

GameTime
09-25-2012, 06:26 PM
I have never evern been 100% comfortable with any kicker. There is always that..."he better ****ing make this" voice in the back of my head.

Of course some are better than others but I think its the nature of the postion

G-MENBK
09-25-2012, 06:30 PM
I have never evern been 100% comfortable with any kicker. There is always that..."he better ****ing make this" voice in the back of my head.

Gary Anderson of the Vikings comes to mind. Hell, even Super Bowl XXV.

fansince69
09-25-2012, 06:31 PM

I don't know Matt Bahr was about as sure as any kicker I remember for this team

GMan-67
09-25-2012, 06:40 PM
i will admit to having a thread called BEND IT LIKE TYNES ... for our game in London vs. Miami a few years ago, but Tynes has really been solid .... now i will say ... Kickers do not earn the same respect as those players that risk their lives and some of our former famous coaches had zero tolerance for kickers, which is what i grew up with, but very glad to have a confident, experienced kicker that really benefitted from the new kickoff rule

GameTime
09-25-2012, 06:46 PM
there are exceptions of course but the norm is more they keep you a little uneasy until its through the uprights...

Giants5699
09-25-2012, 06:46 PM
I hope both Tynes and Weatherford retire as Giants.

Captain Chaos
09-25-2012, 08:08 PM
Tynes is steady!!!

Cobravision
09-25-2012, 08:10 PM
Even as recently as last season, I would hold my breath on every Tynes kick. This season? No sweat. He's booming kickoffs shooting his field goals straight down the pipe. Something has changed, and Tynes is now automatic in my book.

zimonami
09-25-2012, 08:27 PM
Tynes is steady!!!
and, he's consistently kicking the ball 5 yards further than ever before

GMENAGAIN
09-25-2012, 08:57 PM
I don't understand this thread title

Flip Empty
09-25-2012, 10:21 PM
I don't understand where the derision comes from, he's been steady for years.

2012: 10/10
2011: 27/34 (inc playoffs)
2010: 19/23
2009: 27/32
Over the same time period he's 13/17 from 40+, and 4/7 from 50+

He also kicked the Giants to the Super Bowl last year.

GameTime
09-25-2012, 10:24 PM
I don't understand where the derision comes from, he's been steady for years.

Over the same time period he's 13/17 from 40+, and 4/7 from 50+

He also kicked the Giants to the Super Bowl last year.
dont forget Green Bay in 07 with temps below well below freezing

joemorrisforprez
09-25-2012, 10:27 PM
Actually, I can relate to the OP's comments. I think the difference is Weatherford. They have great chemistry and trust and confidence in each other. Weatherford helps keep Tynes loose.

Excellent point.......when Weatherford came in as his holder, Tynes' improved markedly.

Full Disclosure: I used to rip on Tynes all the time. I stopped after 2011.

But he still scares me.....old habits are hard for me to break.

JJC7301
09-25-2012, 10:39 PM
I don't understand this thread. Is Tynes "down"? And who is kicking him?

Tynes has been solid for several years now.
+1. I love Tynes. He may not have the strongest leg or be the very best kicker, but he's a gamer and he's an important cog that helped bring the Giants 2 SB rings the past few years.

If the Giants chose to draft a great kicker in a near future draft, I'd have no problem with it, but I very much trust Tynes.

BigBlue1971
09-25-2012, 11:08 PM
Excellent point.......when Weatherford came in as his holder, Tynes' improved markedly.

Full Disclosure: I used to rip on Tynes all the time. I stopped after 2011.

But he still scares me.....old habits are hard for me to break.

a few months ago Roanoke had an article on here about Tynes, Weatherford and DeOssie! they do everything together on an off the field according to the article!

i would think that kind of postive relationship can be of a great benefit to all those guys especially Tynes cuz his job is pressure every time!

P_Simms_#11
09-26-2012, 02:35 AM

Only with the Giants for one season, but John Carney was great also.

M00KIE
09-26-2012, 04:15 AM

.....Did you really just do this? :mad:

swimeasy
09-26-2012, 06:26 AM
a few months ago Roanoke had an article on here about Tynes, Weatherford and DeOssie! they do everything together on an off the field according to the article!

i would think that kind of postive relationship can be of a great benefit to all those guys especially Tynes cuz his job is pressure every time!

Exactly joemorrisforprez and BigBlue1971. Who would have thought a wedding ring might have been an ice breaker:

"Lawrence Tynes noticed it back in the summer, the first time Steve Weatherford got down on one knee, caught the snap from Zak DeOssie and held for a practice field goal. Right then, Tynes, the Giants kicker, wondered what the heck was going on with the wedding ring on Weatherford’s left hand.

“The first day he held for me I said, ‘Are you gonna take that off?’ ’’ Tynes recalled yesterday. “Good thing it’s a black ring and it’s not like some diamond, shiny.”

Weatherford’s jewelry attracted plenty of attention when he scooped up DeOssie’s low snap and placed it down perfectly for Tynes, who nailed the game-winning 31-yard field goal in overtime last Sunday to send the Giants to Super Bowl XLVI against the Patriots with a 20-17 victory over the 49ers in the NFC Championship.

Up close, slow-motion replays of the kick reveal that Weatherford, in his first year as the Giants punter and holder, indeed does wear his wedding ring on the field, which is highly unusual...."

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/he_king_of_the_ring_EYoUBHgm5TLGC1h5ert3wK

GameTime
09-26-2012, 06:54 AM
.....Did you really just do this? :mad:

:confused:........oops.....sorry....

SweetZombieJesus
09-26-2012, 07:18 AM
The last time I can remember anybody being down on Tynes was in the 2007 NFC CG when he missed two chances to win the game before overtime.

I think he missed several extra points that year too.

fansince69
09-26-2012, 08:05 AM
The last time I can remember anybody being down on Tynes was in the 2007 NFC CG when he missed two chances to win the game before overtime.

I think he missed several extra points that year too.

I agree with this statement to a point.....In 2007 it seemed like most on these boards hated him and he was the worst kicker in football...by 2008 there still were quite a few that still wanted a better kicker....each year the complaints have gone down....but this might be the first year that I have heard people praising him....almost like for the last couple years he hasn't even been talked about good or bad...