PDA

View Full Version : The Eli Manning appreciation thread

bigjeep
09-26-2012, 08:53 AM
Some fans here are to young to remember the bad old days. So for you young fans, bandwagon fans, die hard fans, fair weather fans, QB's like Eli come along once in a lifetime and sometimes twice ( Y.A. Tittle ). So win or lose, we should show nothing but love and admiration towards Eli because we may never see the likes of him in a Giants uniform in our lifetime again!

Moke
09-26-2012, 08:59 AM
I''m only 21 and have had the chance to follow football for less amount of time than you guys, but all I've heard was the same thing - that we should appreciate Eli Manning because he is one of the best QBs that the Giants have had thus far.

elismom
09-26-2012, 09:00 AM
BigJeep. You know me brother. I love stopping in and gloating about my prediction once and awhile.
I love running back to 04 and seeing me perdict 2 rings minimum for easy

AntB
09-26-2012, 09:18 AM
Yea, if he keeps it up he'll have us forgetting Norm Snead.

PBTimmons
09-26-2012, 09:24 AM
Eli has truly turned this franchise around. It's almost like he has instilled a winning mentality and the front office is following. I think the best days are ahead for the Giants organization.

GameTime
09-26-2012, 09:29 AM
I''m only 21 and have had the chance to follow football for less amount of time than you guys, but all I've heard was the same thing - that we should appreciate Eli Manning because he is one of the best QBs that the Giants have had thus far.
only21...!!
I knew I didnt like you for some reason.....;)

M00KIE
09-26-2012, 09:30 AM
What...you didn't like Dave, Danny or Kent??? :D

I actually enjoyed having Collins and Warner but still, I agree 100%.

GameTime
09-26-2012, 09:33 AM
What...you didn't like Dave, Danny or Kent??? :D

I actually enjoyed having Collins and Warner but still, I agree 100%.
you know the one QB I always stick up for is Dave Brown...
Obvioulsy he stunk but you know what the guy tried his hardest, never complained about anything, and gave it a 100%. His 100% wasnt good enough but it is the best he could do. He just wasnt an NFL QB......

GameTime
09-26-2012, 09:34 AM
It was actually George Young who turned this franchise around.

^^this

Morehead State
09-26-2012, 09:38 AM
Thats right ...
Dave Brown and Danny Kannell have nothing on Randy Johnson and Joe Pisarcek.

fletch842
09-26-2012, 09:40 AM
^^this
I began watching in the Joe Pisarchek (sp?) days, agree 100%. Seen a lot of QB's come through, been through some rough stretches. You can't really enjoy the good times if you don't know the bad ones.

Roosevelt
09-26-2012, 09:41 AM
Some fans here are to young to remember the bad old days. So for you young fans, bandwagon fans, die hard fans, fair weather fans, QB's like Eli come along once in a lifetime and sometimes twice ( Y.A. Tittle ). So win or lose, we should show nothing but love and admiration towards Eli because we may never see the likes of him in a Giants uniform in our lifetime again!

It took a little while, but Eli Manning is every bit the quarterback Ernie Accorsi thought he'd be.

Morehead State
09-26-2012, 09:50 AM
The Dark Days
Its hard to believe how bad we were and for how long.
I started as a Giants fan at the age of 8. My first playoff game came after I was married with a baby girl and another on the way.

fansince69
09-26-2012, 09:54 AM
Its hard to believe how bad we were and for how long.
I started as a Giants fan at the age of 8. My first playoff game came after I was married with a baby girl and another on the way.

I started watching at 9 ish and I was 26 with 3 kids by time we won a Superbowl.......Btw you guys are leaving off Craig Morton and Scott Brunner

elismom
09-26-2012, 10:01 AM
Younger fans just can't appreciate what those days were like

The downfall of the LT era combined with QB carousel was some of the worst times for me.
Watching the news when LT was being arrested weekly was not fun.

Morehead State
09-26-2012, 10:11 AM
I started watching at 9 ish and I was 26 with 3 kids by time we won a Superbowl.......Btw you guys are leaving off Craig Morton and Scott Brunner
If memory serves me, we gave up 2 first round picks for Morton. Then after he stunk it up for us, he goes and wins an MVP with Denver.
We were a cursed franchise for years.
We were the Lions of a few years ago. But we were for a long *** time. We were synonymous with losing. Took a lot of loyalty to be a Giants fan back then.

PBTimmons
09-26-2012, 10:12 AM
Hey, call me a young snapper or whatever...but I believe it's much harder to be a consistently winning team these days. Too much parity. Phil Simms and LT being before my time, I still realize that the Giants were not a totally dominant team during those 80s-90s SB teams. Many good seasons back in those days, but still some bad years mixed in.

Compared to the worst complete year under Eli Manning being 8-8, in a much more level NFL.

bigjeep
09-26-2012, 10:13 AM

Right, but we are talking Eli here!

fansince69
09-26-2012, 10:16 AM
If memory serves me, we gave up 2 first round picks for Morton. Then after he stunk it up for us, he goes and wins an MVP with Denver.
We were a cursed franchise for years.
We were the Lions of a few years ago. But we were for a long *** time. We were synonymous with losing. Took a lot of loyalty to be a Giants fan back then.

You know what? I forgot he won with Denver in the late 70s after being useless for us.....you just had to remind me...Thanks MS

Morehead State
09-26-2012, 10:22 AM
You know what? I forgot he won with Denver in the late 70s after being useless for us.....you just had to remind me...Thanks MS
One of those picks was for Randy White.
Hope you don't feel any worse.

Cloud57
09-26-2012, 10:24 AM

Yeah I wonder after Eli's career is over what would be the state of this franchise, many teams go decades without winning a superbowl or even make it to the playoffs. So I think this is the best time to be a Giants fan, and you're right QB's like Eli does come once in a lifetime.

fansince69
09-26-2012, 10:25 AM
One of those picks was for Randy White.
Hope you don't feel any worse.

Yeah I knew that... in fact it was just one of the questions on the DID YOU KNOW thread........I'm still trying to forget....but you people just keep reminding me...lol

Toadofsteel
09-26-2012, 10:29 AM
Obvioulsy he stunk but you know what the guy tried his hardest, never complained about anything, and gave it a 100%. His 100% wasnt good enough but it is the best he could do. He just wasnt an NFL QB......

Lol, I never remember Dave Brown complaining about anything. Then again I was 6 years old so I probably missed some things...

Of course, if you had to share a division with Aikman, that would suck. That must be what Sanchez feels like...

elismom
09-26-2012, 10:31 AM
Yes and I am saying Eli didn't "turn this franchise" around. That happened long before Eli got here. Eli may well prove to be the best QB in franchise history to that point in time. But he did not turn the franchise around.

Eli is a small blip on whjat is a leading franchise in the nfl. Eli changed a major direction of this team and will go down as the greatest giant to ever play. As he will not only own but smash any and all records in this org and this nfl game

fansince69
09-26-2012, 10:35 AM
Yes and I am saying Eli didn't "turn this franchise" around. That happened long before Eli got here. Eli may well prove to be the best QB in franchise history to that point in time. But he did not turn the franchise around.

AGREED...when Eli came in 2004 this franchise was in much better shape than when Simms/Young showed up in 79....btw ...this is not meant to spark a Simms /Eli debate...that one is tiresome too

fansince69
09-26-2012, 10:38 AM
Lol, I never remember Dave Brown complaining about anything. Then again I was 6 years old so I probably missed some things...

Of course, if you had to share a division with Aikman, that would suck. That must be what Sanchez feels like...

Dave Brown was terrible .But when training camp practice would end...he would literally stand there for hours signing autographs for each and every fan that wanted one....Eli has never done that even when he was a rookie....just an observation guys...dont get your panties in a bunch

GameTime
09-26-2012, 10:53 AM

yeah I was a bit older..(lol) and I remmebr going to the games and jusy seeing the look on his face like..."man this just isnt working out". But he strapped it up and gave it his all. More than many players do.......

GameTime
09-26-2012, 10:56 AM
Dave Brown was terrible .But when training camp practice would end...he would literally stand there for hours signing autographs for each and every fan that wanted one....Eli has never done that even when he was a rookie....just an observation guys...dont get your panties in a bunch
he was teribble....
.I coach kids basdeball and all I ask is that they give 100%. I tell them straight up your 100% may not be as good as some one else's but thats the most you give and thats all I ask. Thats the way I feel about Brown. He didnt suck because he didnt care he just wasnt NFL material.

TheAnalyst
09-26-2012, 11:00 AM
Absolutely. Been a Giants fan since the mid 80s. Eli is by far the best QB I have seen for the Giants. He should be though, he was a #1 pick. He was our only #1 pick in fact. LT was a #2 pick. So we normally hit if we have those early first rounders.

* Obviously the Chargers drafted Eli #1 and not us, but by trading a ton of picks for Eli, it is essentially the same thing as trading those picks for the #1 and drafting Eli.

Hopefully we get as much "luck" as the Colts and go from one superstar QB to potentially another cant miss. That means in the next 5-6 years though, Eli needs to get hurt and miss a whole season... :-(

fansince69
09-26-2012, 11:04 AM
he was teribble....
.I coach kids basdeball and all I ask is that they give 100%. I tell them straight up your 100% may not be as good as some one else's but thats the most you give and thats all I ask. Thats the way I feel about Brown. He didnt suck because he didnt care he just wasnt NFL material.

agreed I have coached every level of baseball from t ball to varsity(HS)....all I have ever asked is 100%effort...What's really a shame is when you see a guy(kid) outplay someone with more talent...just because they have more heart....I feel bad for the kid with the talent because he will never understand that heart is what puts you over the top

fansince69
09-26-2012, 11:06 AM
Absolutely. Been a Giants fan since the mid 80s. Eli is by far the best QB I have seen for the Giants. He should be though, he was a #1 pick. He was our only #1 pick in fact. LT was a #2 pick. So we normally hit if we have those early first rounders.

* Obviously the Chargers drafted Eli #1 and not us, but by trading a ton of picks for Eli, it is essentially the same thing as trading those picks for the #1 and drafting Eli.

Hopefully we get as much "luck" as the Colts and go from one superstar QB to potentially another cant miss. That means in the next 5-6 years though, Eli needs to get hurt and miss a whole season... :-(

Not going to nit pick...but Tucker Fredrickson was a number one pick...average at best at pro level

Mohann
09-26-2012, 11:07 AM

And he ran over Deion Sanders.

GameTime
09-26-2012, 11:07 AM
agreed I have coached every level of baseball from t ball to varsity(HS)....all I have ever asked is 100%effort...What's really a shame is when you see a guy(kid) outplay someone with more talent...just because they have more heart....I feel bad for the kid with the talent because he will never understand that heart is what puts you over the top

I feel like that with NFL players. Not much really separates the greats from the ok players talent wise. Its 95% drive and desire....
Ryan Lea, for example, f didnt suck he just didnt have his head screwed on right.

GameTime
09-26-2012, 11:10 AM

http://articles.nydailynews.com/1995-12-18/sports/17988026_1_cb-phillippi-sparks-giants-huddle-rb-rodney-hampton

fansince69
09-26-2012, 11:13 AM
I feel like that with NFL players. Not much really separates the greats from the ok players talent wise. Its 95% drive and desire....
Ryan Lea, for example, f didnt suck he just didnt have his head screwed on right.

The list goes on and on of players that should/could have been great but lacked the "IT" factor and players that didn't have the physical tools/skill but yet excelled

I have often said the difference between teams in the NFL...is the team that wants it the most will usually win

Morehead State
09-26-2012, 11:17 AM
Eli is a small blip on whjat is a leading franchise in the nfl. Eli changed a major direction of this team and will go down as the greatest giant to ever play. As he will not only own but smash any and all records in this org and this nfl game
You know you all talk about Dave Brown and Danny Kannell, but you forget that the guy who came before Eli was Kerry Collins, who had two 4000 yard seasons, an NFC championship with a 41-0 win in the championship game, and he carried a team to the playoffs with one WR in 2002. And if we any ability to kick a ball, we would have had a chance to get to another SB.
Its not like the Collins era was dark. I thought it was a great time to be a Giants fan.

TheAnalyst
09-26-2012, 11:18 AM
The list goes on and on of players that should/could have been great but lacked the "IT" factor and players that didn't have the physical tools/skill but yet excelledI have often said the difference between teams in the NFL...is the team that wants it the most will usually winI still don't understand how Ron Dayne was a bust. Just didn't have the "it" factor in the NFL I guess. Dez Bryant could be one of the greatest if he was a straight shooter. Thankfully for us, he is not.

Dwinsballgames
09-26-2012, 11:18 AM

Deion was never known for being an overly stout tackler

Mohann
09-26-2012, 11:22 AM

Yeah, but he was bulldozed by Dave Brown. I couldn't find it on you tube. That had to be his low point in the NFL.

fansince69
09-26-2012, 11:23 AM
You know you all talk about Dave Brown and Danny Kannell, but you forget that the guy who came before Eli was Kerry Collins, who had two 4000 yard seasons, an NFC championship with a 41-0 win in the championship game, and he carried a team to the playoffs with one WR in 2002. And if we any ability to kick a ball, we would have had a chance to get to another SB.
Its not like the Collins era was dark. I thought it was a great time to be a Giants fan.

Collins a very bright spot after several years of really bad..lol

Deion did not consider tackling as being part of his job description...he avoided it like the plague...but he was an awesome player...I loved him as a Yankee but hated him everywhere else

Morehead State
09-26-2012, 11:25 AM
Collins a very bright spot after several years of really bad..lol

Deion did not consider tackling as being part of his job description...he avoided it like the plague...but he was an awesome player...I loved him as a Yankee but hated him everywhere else

We did win the division in 1997. The Tiki fumble and bizaare on side kick lost our playoff game. Three years later we were in the SB.
For guys our age who had to deal with the 70's (as discussed) it was a blink of an eye from '97 to 2000.

burier
09-26-2012, 11:26 AM

I did too. Once Fassel got to town and we could actually throw the football it was a nice change of pace from the time when we struggled to complete a pass to a wide reciever.

I didn't hate Kerry Collins but I do believe he should have been replaced after his peformance in the Superbowl. Ironically Kerry kept his job in the winning QB was fired.

Mohann
09-26-2012, 11:28 AM

Kerry was a good player, but completely lacked the "It" Factor. If things were good he was good. But yeah, it's wasn't a terrible era for the Giants. Except for 2003.

fansince69
09-26-2012, 11:28 AM
We did win the division in 1997. The Tiki fumble and bizaare on side kick lost our playoff game. Three years later we were in the SB.
For guys our age who had to deal with the 70's (as discussed) it was a blink of an eye from '97 to 2000.

Ahh yes...97 and Danny Kannel...he actually had me fooled for one year...but as you said even those years were brighter than the 70s....you young guys have no clue ...lol

SweetZombieJesus
09-26-2012, 11:29 AM
I'm appreciating Eli in his prime, and now that he's in his 9th year realizing he has more years behind him than in front of him. Thinking of the day when he (hopefully) retires as a Giant, please no Peyton debacle here... How special he's been, and how having a run-of-the-mill average QB step into his shoes afterwards, the next Dave Brown, will leave this team much, much different. Cherish what we have now.

Too soon to think this way but it will seem like no-time. Enjoy it now.

bigjeep
09-26-2012, 11:33 AM

We will have to make a George Young appreciation thread! But this one is for Eli Manning!

fansince69
09-26-2012, 11:40 AM
I'm appreciating Eli in his prime, and now that he's in his 9th year realizing he has more years behind him than in front of him. Thinking of the day when he (hopefully) retires as a Giant, please no Peyton debacle here... How special he's been, and how having a run-of-the-mill average QB step into his shoes afterwards, the next Dave Brown, will leave this team much, much different. Cherish what we have now.

Too soon to think this way but it will seem like no-time. Enjoy it now.

well said

Morehead State
09-26-2012, 11:48 AM
I did too. Once Fassel got to town and we could actually throw the football it was a nice change of pace from the time when we struggled to complete a pass to a wide reciever.

I didn't hate Kerry Collins but I do believe he should have been replaced after his peformance in the Superbowl. Ironically Kerry kept his job in the winning QB was fired.
Give Collins time and he could slice any defense apart. But he had a definite problem when facing a big pass rush. Kind of a "dear in the headlights" thing. Until last season, Eli had the same problem. Actually, I thought they each had a similar skill set until Eli stepped it up last season. The reality is that if Bruce Smith didn't cheap shot Collins in 03, he might have continued to be our QB and we may not have drafted Eli.
Its just the way it worked out.
But KC was a good football player.

fansince69
09-26-2012, 11:53 AM
Give Collins time and he could slice any defense apart. But he had a definite problem when facing a big pass rush. Kind of a "dear in the headlights" thing. Until last season, Eli had the same problem. Actually, I thought they each had a similar skill set until Eli stepped it up last season. The reality is that if Bruce Smith didn't cheap shot Collins in 03, he might have continued to be our QB and we may not have drafted Eli.

KC was good and you are right when the pass rush came ...he did look like a deer in the headlights(2000 super bowl)
I do not put Eli in that category at all...even under a huge rush Eli seems to keep his composure....Simms was amazing at standing in

bigjeep
09-26-2012, 11:55 AM

In the words of a famous politician, "Kerry Collins, your no Eli Manning"

TrueBlue@NYC
09-26-2012, 11:57 AM

I think EA seeing how much having a capable QB like Collins changed this franchise is what propelled him to make the move for Eli. He must have seen that if this team can be good with a decent QB, then having a great QB would put the team over the top and make it a contender every year. And he was right.

Collins was a big part of bringing expectations back for this team.

fansince69
09-26-2012, 12:02 PM
So you want to single me out when there are all of these other players being celebrated by our colleagues?

he knows you can take... Stop complaining

Roosevelt
09-26-2012, 12:13 PM
Hey, call me a young snapper or whatever...but I believe it's much harder to be a consistently winning team these days. Too much parity. Phil Simms and LT being before my time, I still realize that the Giants were not a totally dominant team during those 80s-90s SB teams. Many good seasons back in those days, but still some bad years mixed in.

Compared to the worst complete year under Eli Manning being 8-8, in a much more level NFL.

I wouldn't call us a dominant team just yet. And don't forget the Super Bowl teams you speak of went 17-2 in 1986 and 16-3 in 1990, compared to the 14-6 and 13-7 records under Eli. The 1986 team was the strongest team we ever had.

bigjeep
09-26-2012, 12:17 PM
I wouldn't call us a dominant team just yet. And don't forget the Super Bowl teams you speak of went 17-2 in 1986 and 16-3 in 1990, compared to the 14-6 and 13-7 records under Eli. The 1986 team was the strongest team we ever had.

Yes, but Eli has to carry this team on his back! He doesn't have the dominate "D" that Simms had! Thats why he's known as "The comeback kid" LOL!

CowboysSuck
09-26-2012, 12:19 PM
Ok we officially have about 3-4 ACTIVE threads speaking about Eli. Man, if only this guy knew how much we spoke about him, he would probably think we are deranged.

Morehead State
09-26-2012, 12:23 PM
I think EA seeing how much having a capable QB like Collins changed this franchise is what propelled him to make the move for Eli. He must have seen that if this team can be good with a decent QB, then having a great QB would put the team over the top and make it a contender every year. And he was right.

EA saw a chance to get what he thought was a franchise QB. He said himself in many interviews that it was based on a "gut feeling". I get that although I was uneasy starting over with a rookie QB when we had a good team. That 2003 team wasn't as bad as the record indicated. Everybody got hurt at the same time. We were picked by many before the season started to be a SB contender.
But I get what EA did. Same with the Colts last year. They had Peyton but saw an opportunity to draft a QB for the future and they took it. It was a good move but its not am indictment of Peyton.

Morehead State
09-26-2012, 12:24 PM
Yes, but Eli has to carry this team on his back! He doesn't have the dominate "D" that Simms had! Thats why he's known as "The comeback kid" LOL!
Defense played great in the playoffs. No one carries their team on his back to win a SB.
We scored 17 points in SB 42 and 21 in SB 46.

GameTime
09-26-2012, 12:25 PM
the top 5 QBs at any given time can be interchanged from week to week. They all have dif skill sets and different variables that make them who and what they are. You can twist any of those variables to satisfy your arguement for who is better then the other.

fansince69
09-26-2012, 12:29 PM
the top 5 QBs at any given time can be interchanged from week to week. They all have dif skill sets and different variables that make them who and what they are. You can twist any of those variables to satisfy your arguement for who is better then the other.

De ja vue...I think i saw this in another thread

bigjeep
09-26-2012, 12:29 PM
Defense played great in the playoffs. No one carries their team on his back to win a SB.
We scored 17 points in SB 42 and 21 in SB 46.

Yes, and they were 4th quarter comback wins by Eli and company! Lets not forget the David Tyree catch or the perfect throw to Manningham! On September 26 at12:31 PM, Eli Manning is the best QB in the NFL bar none!

GameTime
09-26-2012, 12:31 PM
De ja vue...I think i saw this in another threadI have that in three threads....just to be annoying. I think twice in another thread. I will do it until you all see that this is the only logical answer........lol

ashleymarie
09-26-2012, 12:53 PM
In the words of a famous politician, "Kerry Collins, your no Eli Manning"

I have never heard that quote. :)

SweetZombieJesus
09-26-2012, 01:49 PM

EA (the imgrate) was with the Colts when Elway burned them. Vowed to never let an opportunity like that pass him by again.

jakegibbs
09-26-2012, 03:09 PM

Let's not forget about Chucking Charlie Conerly, the HOF committee sure did.

bigjeep
09-26-2012, 03:21 PM
Let's not forget about Chucking Charlie Conerly, the HOF committee sure did.

It would be a sin to forget! He pulled Y.A. Tittle's rear end out of the fire a few times at the end of his career!

NWKEffectElement
09-26-2012, 04:26 PM
I don't know if we won't see any at least good QB the way the league has set it up with the rules. But great is another thing. Eli just became great, and was not always there. We saw flashes of brillance very early, but up until last year, it was became consistant.

I was totally appalled by what happened in that draft. Mainly because we always were a low key organization, and this put us in the spotlight. All I wanted was for him to be one the best in the game according to what we gave up. He has proved we got what we paid for and more.To watch the progession has been amazing.

bigjeep
09-26-2012, 04:31 PM
I don't know if we won't see any at least good QB the way the league has set it up with the rules. But great is another thing. Eli just became great, and was not always there. We saw flashes of brillance very early, but up until last year, it was became consistant.

I was totally appalled by what happened in that draft. Mainly because we always were a low key organization, and this put us in the spotlight. All I wanted was for him to be one the best in the game according to what we gave up. He has proved we got what we paid for and more.To watch the progession has been amazing.

Agreed!

Tuckit91
09-26-2012, 04:44 PM
Loved Simms and even liked Hos..But to live threw Brown and Graham and then Kennel and Maddox and then we got Kerry who wasnt to bad and the we get the Savior Eli Manning!

Captain Chaos
09-26-2012, 06:50 PM
Props!!!

elismom
09-26-2012, 07:17 PM
Agreed!

Nice post right there. SEeing Ernie beam about what he thought eli could be and what he has become is pretty cool.
The guy talked about the "drive". Eary really

bELIeve_in_Giants
09-26-2012, 07:50 PM
I get a kick out of eli. Every other player in the league is up in arms about replacement refs and Eli just says, "I'm not losing any sleep over it"....Easy E.