PDA

View Full Version : Gosselin: It's a shame the Cowboys never made a commitment to Martellus Bennett

RoanokeFan
09-26-2012, 04:39 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-cowboys/headlines/20120925-gosselin-it-s-a-shame-the-cowboys-never-made-a-commitment-to-martellus-bennett.ece

Excerpt: "Rick Gosselin, sports columnist for The Dallas Morning News and SportsDayDFW.com and member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame selection committee, answered your questions about the Cowboys, Rangers, Mavericks and Stars in a live chat Monday. Some excerpts:

What explains Martellus Bennett's emergence in NY? A lucky couple of catches or do you think the coaching staff up there has gotten him to focus?

Gosselin: The Giants made a commitment to Bennett, something the Cowboys never did. The Giants also are a team that wants to run the ball and Bennett has few peers as a blocker at the tight end position. New York was the right fit, the right situation for Bennett. Shame on the Cowboys for never tapping into the talent Bennett now has on display in New York." Read more...

Kruunch
09-26-2012, 04:42 PM
Kind of reminds me of Visanthe Shiancoe when we had Shockey.

I think MB was just a victim of being behind a perennial favorite.

Pete Warren
09-26-2012, 04:49 PM
Bennett's solid and is a great blocker, but I'm still not sure about him as a receiver. I still think Ballard and Boss were better receivers.

embeshAtYa
09-26-2012, 04:52 PM
Bennet better athtlete

WEG313
09-26-2012, 04:55 PM
Bennett's solid and is a great blocker, but I'm still not sure about him as a receiver. I still think Ballard and Boss were better receivers.

Boss, yes; Ballard, no way...and Bennett is still developing his chemistry and synchronization with Eli.

Ntegrase96
09-26-2012, 04:57 PM
Gosselin never has anything positive to say about the Cowboys and jumps at the chance to criticize them, so take it with a grain of salt.

Bennett has looked good with the Giants, but I think the head scratching plays are going to rear their ugly heads around. However, since he's getting more opportunity, the risk seems to be worth the reward.

I've said since day one that it was a good pick-up for the Giants because of the deal given, but now I'm not so certain. If Bennett keeps playing this way, it's a shame (for you) that he wasn't locked up for longer. Not so sure the Giants have the room to keep him with big FA signings upcoming in the future and resigning Eli.

TheEnigma
09-26-2012, 05:00 PM
Witten will most likely retire in a few years and be a nomination for the HoF when he is eligible. Can't really blame the Cowboys for letting go of Bennett who was always inconsistent when he did have his opportunities.

WEG313
09-26-2012, 05:03 PM
Witten will most likely retire in a few years and be a nomination for the HoF when he is eligible. Can't really blame the Cowboys for letting go of Bennett who was always inconsistent when he did have his opportunities.

He was inconsistent because he never got the passing receiver reps in practice, and was very seldom used as a receiver in games. Hard to develop any type of chemistry with your QB in such situations. Also, Romo and Garrett almost always opted for the 3 wideout sets (with Witten as the only TE) on 2nd and 3rd downs, and when in the red zon.

giantsfan420
09-26-2012, 05:06 PM
lol ntegrase. u had rainer going around preseason going on about how bennett was this lazy person with horrible work ethic who was a complete bust and cited you. And I do remember you making statements very similar to that.
Nevermind that JG, Romo, Witten, etc went on and said the opposite and that really, there just wasnt enough targets left for the TE's after Wittens 150 a season. 1 or 2 attempts a game aint trying to utilize a guys talent. Almost every analyst I respect has went on about how there was a fix in Dallas and that they were never gonna give Bennett a legit chance to be the dude, and I agree. MB didn't suddenly just get this talent. He's had good work ethic throughout, becoming the best blocking TE bc thats what Dallas was asking of him. Your whole 22 formation and "Bennett just wasnt good enough to earn reps" statements are inaccurate when the guys not even getting a fair shot.
He's done nothing but get open, catch TDs, and block like a beast. And he could have been doing that in Dallas if it not for the situation. I for one wasnt buying the whole "he can be a good blocker but thats about it"...guy can be a mega beast

TheEnigma
09-26-2012, 05:09 PM
He was inconsistent because he never got the passing receiver reps in practice, and was very seldom used as a receiver in games. Hard to develop any type of chemistry with your QB in such situations. Also, Romo and Garrett almost always opted for the 3 wideout sets (with Witten as the only TE) on 2nd and 3rd downs, and when in the red zon.

That's the point though. From the Cowboys perspective, why give Bennett big bucks when you have an elite TE like Witten on your roster and have talented wide receivers in Bryant and Austin? The few times he was called on to be a receiver, he never really did enough to stand out and earn more reps. It is what it is but I really don't think the Cowboys made some huge mistake like people make it out to be.

giantsfan420
09-26-2012, 05:09 PM
dallas nation must be hating the whole MB situation and telling themselves whatever they can to not go insane with rage that they draft a TE with legit beast potential, but dont use him bc of Witten. Now Wittens at the end, and the TE who had mega beast potential, is playing like one. Only for the NYG. HUGE mistake by Dallas to let him go, and shame on the cowboys fans for all their negative bs about him when clearly, it was the coaches/romo/witten holding MB back, and not himself as some tried to believe when he left for NYG and a QB who would actually target him.

slipknottin
09-26-2012, 05:13 PM
Boss, yes; Ballard, no way...and Bennett is still developing his chemistry and synchronization with Eli.

Boss was never close to the receiver Bennett is.

Boss's best year was 570 yards and 5 TDs. - so he averaged 35 yards a game, and 3.2 games per TD.

Bennett already has 185 yards and 3 TDs... In 3 games. averaging 62 yards a game, and a TD a game.

Now even if Bennett falls off to half of what he has produced, he is producing as much or more than Boss.

But I dont imagine it will be hard for Bennett to put up far better numbers than Boss did, all he needs is 400 yards and 2 more TDs in 14 games to tie him.

giantsfan420
09-26-2012, 05:16 PM
in reality, in terms of production, Bennett is the one replacing MM and not Hixon or Barden...yet. Bennett is a legit dangerous, game breaking target. Teams will have to respect him. How did dallas let us get him? hes a matchup nightmare. Thank God they didnt bother using him bc Dez, Austin, and Bennett would be lethal. Just as Nicks, Cruz and bennett are lethal...

PRGiant
09-26-2012, 05:21 PM
I think Ballard has better hands but Boss was mediocre and Bennett is playing great, not perfect but he's up there!

nycisgreat
09-26-2012, 05:59 PM

I think MB was just a victim of being behind a perennial favorite.

I was thinking the same thing as well. Shancoe did well as a Giants, but Shockey was clearly the better player. We didn't miss a beat on offense. Witten is good, but the guy is starting to look really really slow.

elismom
09-26-2012, 06:19 PM

No way

elismom
09-26-2012, 06:19 PM
I was thinking the same thing as well. Shancoe did well as a Giants, but Shockey was clearly the better player. We didn't miss a beat on offense. Witten is good, but the guy is starting to look really really slow.
Witten has no dobut slowed down. Could be the injury but man o man. He thank god has slowed down. 5 yrs ago he was all world man

myles2424
09-26-2012, 07:14 PM
Bennett sat behind a Top TE, no suprise he's ballin with us.....Alot of guys get wrote off as busts, yet all they need is the right situation & to be given a chance......Not to pick, Im loving Bennett right now, but his "Laziness" does flash at times IMO....Been a few plays that he couldve made that he seems to not give %100 on, but whatever hes doing great soo far...

Captain Chaos
09-26-2012, 07:44 PM
He is the real deal, no doubt. I think he will come up big this week for Eli and the G'men....

appodictic
09-26-2012, 10:44 PM
Boss, yes; Ballard, no way...and Bennett is still developing his chemistry and synchronization with Eli. Bennet is going to have a 1000 yard season. After that I will come to the conclusion that he was better then shockey, Boss, and Ballard, but I really know that already.

crossouttheeyes
09-27-2012, 12:31 AM
Bennet's the best pass catching tight end the Giants have had since Shockey's rookie year and he's a much better blocker than Shockey. The man's a physical freak. He's an outstanding blocker and I have faith that Mike Pope and Eli will make him a better receiver than he already is. His potential is through the roof. He can be top 5 good. There's a reason the Giants offense didn't use a pass catching tight end that often before Bennet and it's because they didn't have one. He's not lazy like he's made out to be, I've seen videos of him training and have heard almost nothing but positive comments out of the coaching staff and fellow player. I honestly think he just has concentration problems.

I really hope the Giants lock him up. Adrien Robinson is a project and may never pan out. Bennet is already solid with the potential of being much more than that. He's already improved both the run game and passing game. The scary thing is he hasn't even reached his potential. Some of you might think it's premature, but I'm extremely high on Bennet.

Kruunch
09-27-2012, 08:43 AM
Bennet's the best pass catching tight end the Giants have had since Shockey's rookie year and he's a much better blocker than Shockey. The man's a physical freak. He's an outstanding blocker and I have faith that Mike Pope and Eli will make him a better receiver than he already is. His potential is through the roof. He can be top 5 good. There's a reason the Giants offense didn't use a pass catching tight end that often before Bennet and it's because they didn't have one. He's not lazy like he's made out to be, I've seen videos of him training and have heard almost nothing but positive comments out of the coaching staff and fellow player. I honestly think he just has concentration problems.

I really hope the Giants lock him up. Adrien Robinson is a project and may never pan out. Bennet is already solid with the potential of being much more than that. He's already improved both the run game and passing game. The scary thing is he hasn't even reached his potential. Some of you might think it's premature, but I'm extremely high on Bennet.

Bennett's mom?

swimeasy
09-27-2012, 10:22 AM
Bennett's mom?

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n265/Taroleon/GIFS/Smileys/LolCoffee.gif

You gotta admit, this is much better than the angst after our TEs became a critical need, all the drama if Reese would go TE in the draft, Bennett being dissed by Cowboy fans for his antics at Dallas and BB grabbing Ballard off wires. Thus far he has been a pleasant addition and seems to be a good fit for him and the Giants. Once again, JR to the rescue.

Hope all is well with you Kruunch. Haven't been around for awhile and so much has changed! Hope you are still doing your occasional write-ups- always enjoyed those- informative and thought-provoking.

Flip Empty
09-27-2012, 10:23 AM
At the end of the season, fans will be praying that Bennett gets re-signed.

Kruunch
09-27-2012, 10:25 AM
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n265/Taroleon/GIFS/Smileys/LolCoffee.gif

You gotta admit, this is much better than the angst after our TEs became a critical need, all the drama if Reese would go TE in the draft, Bennett being dissed by Cowboy fans for his antics at Dallas and BB grabbing Ballard off wires. Thus far he has been a pleasant addition and seems to be a good fit for him and the Giants. Once again, JR to the rescue.

Hope all is well with you Kruunch. Haven't been around for awhile and so much has changed! Hope you are still doing your occasional write-ups- always enjoyed those- informative and thought-provoking. :)

Hope all is well with you Kruunch. Haven't been around for awhile ans so much has changed!

All well and ducky. I tend to get punchy in the off-season (heh Dave Wilson Tears his ACL thread anyone?) so I try to subject you guys to as little as I can to that ;)

G-MENBK
09-27-2012, 10:49 AM
At the end of the season, fans will be praying that Bennett gets re-signed.

That's if he continues his stellar play throughout the season.

swimeasy
09-27-2012, 10:50 AM
All well and ducky. I tend to get punchy in the off-season (heh Dave Wilson Tears his ACL thread anyone?) so I try to subject you guys to as little as I can to that ;)

Haha, the Smithsonian wants that one for the sake of preservation. ;)

TheAnalyst
09-27-2012, 10:54 AM
Bennett will not get resigned. I just cant see it happening when we need to resign players like Cruz and Nicks soon. TE is overrated in our system. Ballard? Boss? Whoever. Just get a big guy that can block and catch a pass and he will get 800+ yards and 6-8 TDs.

I like what Bennett is doing for us in this one year, but I'd be worried about giving him a big contract that he will demand after this year. I got a feeling he will take his foot off the pedal once he scores a big contract.

Kruunch
09-27-2012, 11:14 AM
Bennett will not get resigned. I just cant see it happening when we need to resign players like Cruz and Nicks soon. TE is overrated in our system. Ballard? Boss? Whoever. Just get a big guy that can block and catch a pass and he will get 800+ yards and 6-8 TDs.

I like what Bennett is doing for us in this one year, but I'd be worried about giving him a big contract that he will demand after this year. I got a feeling he will take his foot off the pedal once he scores a big contract.

Save it for the off-season.

Just enjoy what he's giving us in the here and now.

CowboysSuck
09-27-2012, 11:17 AM

not too fast there....Ballard had some spectacular catches. And I mean catches you absolutely did not expect him to make when the ball was in mid air. Somehow he came down with them. The guy was a circus. Same can be said for Boss..

CowboysSuck
09-27-2012, 11:20 AM

You might be right and I guess I agree with you. I wouldn't put it past JR TC et al. to find another one of these big bodied decent hands TE's. It seems like we come up with them out of nowhere every couple years.

Don't forget, BECKUM will be coming back! That guy is great!!

giantsfan420
09-27-2012, 11:23 AM
bennett is game changing talented. IF we can't resign one of the 2 stud wr's, at least we'd have bennett to fall back on. we wont give him no gronk contract. i'd expect we give him a 2-3 yr top 15 avg'd salary

Flip Empty
09-27-2012, 11:24 AM
That's if he continues his stellar play throughout the season.
Eli just keeps looking his way. That alone is enough for me to believe that Bennett will have a great season.

TheAnalyst
09-27-2012, 11:28 AM
Eli just keeps looking his way. That alone is enough for me to believe that Bennett will have a great season.

Because Nicks and Cruz are getting doubled. Can't double everyone. Remember Belichick? "It's a Nicks and Cruz game. Make them throw to Manningham, make them throw to Pascoe." 3rd WR and the TE will put up good numbers all year long.

G-MENBK
09-27-2012, 11:31 AM

A few more dropped passes or some more failed routes, and believe me, Eli won't be too quick to throw it his way.

Flip Empty
09-27-2012, 11:33 AM
Because Nicks and Cruz are getting doubled. Can't double everyone. Remember Belichick? "It's a Nicks and Cruz game. Make them throw to Manningham, make them throw to Pascoe." 3rd WR and the TE will put up good numbers all year long.
He kept looking at him in the Panthers game as well. It's clear a level of trust is already developing.

A few more dropped passes or some more failed routes, and believe me, Eli won't be too quick to throw it his way.
Of course. It'll be on Bennett to improve upon that aspect of his game.

This looks promising though.

Jiffy Jeff
09-27-2012, 11:38 AM

Holy moley.........three touchdowns in three games and there's even any comparison?????

Crack is wack.

RoanokeFan
09-27-2012, 11:46 AM
A few more dropped passes or some more failed routes, and believe me, Eli won't be too quick to throw it his way. Did Eli go back to Cruz after he dropped 3?

TroyArcher
09-27-2012, 11:50 AM
As long as Witten was there he was always going be playing second fiddle. Eli has a habit of turning no name Tight End into very good players.

TroyArcher
09-27-2012, 11:51 AM
You might be right and I guess I agree with you. I wouldn't put it past JR TC et al. to find another one of these big bodied decent hands TE's. It seems like we come up with them out of nowhere every couple years.

Don't forget, BECKUM will be coming back! That guy is great!!

Beckum is great? I think you are getting a little carried away.

Ntegrase96
09-27-2012, 12:00 PM
lol ntegrase. u had rainer going around preseason going on about how bennett was this lazy person with horrible work ethic who was a complete bust and cited you. And I do remember you making statements very similar to that.
Nevermind that JG, Romo, Witten, etc went on and said the opposite and that really, there just wasnt enough targets left for the TE's after Wittens 150 a season. 1 or 2 attempts a game aint trying to utilize a guys talent. Almost every analyst I respect has went on about how there was a fix in Dallas and that they were never gonna give Bennett a legit chance to be the dude, and I agree. MB didn't suddenly just get this talent. He's had good work ethic throughout, becoming the best blocking TE bc thats what Dallas was asking of him. Your whole 22 formation and "Bennett just wasnt good enough to earn reps" statements are inaccurate when the guys not even getting a fair shot.
He's done nothing but get open, catch TDs, and block like a beast. And he could have been doing that in Dallas if it not for the situation. I for one wasnt buying the whole "he can be a good blocker but thats about it"...guy can be a mega beast

I still stick by everything I said before pre-season started.

My stance for Bennett has always been that he didn't make the most of his opportunities here and was lazy. He had the opportunity to make an impression but he just fell short. And he was given plenty of opportunities when JG was designing the playbook around 2 TE sets.

And I still think that of him with regard to missing opportunities. He's putting up a good performance right now but he also still has Bennett moments. Hasn't he dropped two TD passes, running incorrect routes, etc... The difference is, he's getting more targets because he's the starter.

I've always said the Bennett signing was a good signing for the Giants because of the 'prove it' contract. The reward outweighed the risk. I also said that if Bennett got his head out of his *** he would make a pretty good TE, but not an elite one. I didn't think it was likely, but he seems to be proving me wrong thus far. I'll reserve judgment for a while though.

He looks like he has a renewed vigor and the guy is playing well for the most part-- I'll give him that. But when he was here in Dallas, the guy looked like he lost a step from his rookie season. That's probably the only other thing I criticized him for, especially when you were making comparisons of his athleticism with that of Jimmy Graham and VD. I haven't been able to catch much of him since our first game, so I'll also reserve judgment on his current level of athleticism until I finally have time to sit down and watch the games on my dvr.

G-MENBK
09-27-2012, 12:02 PM
Did Eli go back to Cruz after he dropped 3?

One game where Cruz was an anomaly, but even then, we pretty much now know that Cruz won't attempt to catch a ball if it'll involve contact/hits from defenders.

How about Boss, remember him? Couldn't make a catch where he was standing by himself, yet, was able to reel in the ball if there were defenders all over him. Even Ballard: Reliable in the first half of the season, inconsistent in the second.

GameTime
09-27-2012, 12:16 PM
One game where Cruz was an anomaly, but even then, we pretty much now know that Cruz won't attempt to catch a ball if it'll involve contact/hits from defenders.

How about Boss, remember him? Couldn't make a catch where he was standing by himself, yet, was able to reel in the ball if there were defenders all over him. Even Ballard: Reliable in the first half of the season, inconsistent in the second.

you think that about Cruz?? I 'll have to pay more attention. I have seen him go up in double teams and come down with the ball. Versus Dallas it seemed his drops were him taking his eye off the ball and wanting to look up field first. Maybe for running lanes or like you said maybe hearing footsteps...

TextureDj
09-27-2012, 01:05 PM

I am speechless. I cant even count the times I have been amazed Vic even got up, much less holding a football in his hands.

Xompletely baseless statement. Guy mkaes catches in doule coverage all day. Had one droppy game and his grandmother died days later, give the cat a break.

TheAnalyst
09-27-2012, 02:03 PM
I am speechless. I cant even count the times I have been amazed Vic even got up, much less holding a football in his hands.

Xompletely baseless statement. Guy mkaes catches in doule coverage all day. Had one droppy game and his grandmother died days later, give the cat a break.

Agreed. Cruz makes all the tough catches. He got popped a few times so hard it hurt my head, and he popped right back up.

Here is a fun stat:

Jason Witten: 8 catches, 76 yards, 0 TDs
Martellus Bennett: 15 catches, 185 yards, 3 TDs

And Witten also has some big drops this year too

GMan-67
09-27-2012, 02:44 PM
Witten is a primadonna ... much as i hate TO .... he did observe one thing accurately in Dallas regarding Witten

giantsfan420
09-27-2012, 02:55 PM
well ur right. use ntegrase's logic. witten has some drops, and hasnt taken advantage of the chances garrets giving him. he's obviously lazy and wasting his talent...dont have red font...

and ntegrase i asked but u never responded. everything u've said about bennett has been completely contradicted by Garrett, Romo, Witten, Coach Pope, and Bennetts play.

instead of what u say, could it not be all those people are right when they say LITERALLY, JG WITTEN ROMO have ALL said that there just wasnt enough targets to give bennett the legit opportunity his skills warranted. by bennetts OWN account, he hasnt changed a damn thing, he's just finally getting a fair chance. Witten had over 150 targets each season MB was there...how would anyone expect the 2nd TE to do ANYTHING when u also have bryant and austin?

guy absolutely has VD, Grahm, Gates physical build and athleticism, ABSOLUTELY 100%. so far he's matched their play. everyone has a few drops. basically, by what ur describing, the only way u would have been pleased with bennett is if he didnt drop anything and was as effective as witten with .01% the targets

giantsfan420
09-27-2012, 02:57 PM
fact is, if bennett woulda gotten a chance as the starting TE, he would be doing there what hes doing here. Witten has never missed a game besides his rookie year iirc with a broken jaw. bennett just never got the chance point blank. i also feel eli is a much better qb as well and he's helping to elevate MB's play in ways Romo never could. but thats a diff topic

edit- just for emphasis, JG was quoted saying MB worked extremely hard, became an exceptional blocker, and that there was a lot of unrealistic ideas about what MB should be doing by the fans. he literally said that after we signed him and that he would do fine here. he literally said what Romo n Witten n Bennett also said about how there just wasnt enough opportunities in the pass game, which is why they asked him to block and why he kicked *** doing so

RoanokeFan
09-27-2012, 03:03 PM

You clearly don't watch the games if you think Cruz avoids contact

Kruunch
09-27-2012, 03:08 PM

My stance for Bennett has always been that he didn't make the most of his opportunities here and was lazy. He had the opportunity to make an impression but he just fell short. And he was given plenty of opportunities when JG was designing the playbook around 2 TE sets.

And I still think that of him with regard to missing opportunities. He's putting up a good performance right now but he also still has Bennett moments. Hasn't he dropped two TD passes, running incorrect routes, etc... The difference is, he's getting more targets because he's the starter.

I've always said the Bennett signing was a good signing for the Giants because of the 'prove it' contract. The reward outweighed the risk. I also said that if Bennett got his head out of his *** he would make a pretty good TE, but not an elite one. I didn't think it was likely, but he seems to be proving me wrong thus far. I'll reserve judgment for a while though.

He looks like he has a renewed vigor and the guy is playing well for the most part-- I'll give him that. But when he was here in Dallas, the guy looked like he lost a step from his rookie season. That's probably the only other thing I criticized him for, especially when you were making comparisons of his athleticism with that of Jimmy Graham and VD. I haven't been able to catch much of him since our first game, so I'll also reserve judgment on his current level of athleticism until I finally have time to sit down and watch the games on my dvr.

As of this moment, Bennett is no better or worse than Boss or Ballard were. He's made catches ... he's had drops. He certainly hasn't eclipsed anyone (in my mind) with his performance but he has lived up to expectations (at least my expectations).

And I foresee a lot of upside with this guy.

Having said all that, MB is a total flake ... great guy but a total flake. So I can see it going downhill in a hurry as well if he forgets to take his meds.

DVision
09-27-2012, 03:25 PM

He did drop 2 possible TD's against Tampa, but to his defense he was being mugged on 1. Also as far as running the wrong routes I haven't seen that and in this offense there would be no way we would know considering all the possible option routes that are dictated by coverages.

So far I've seen a TE that blocks MUCH better than anyone we've had as of late who shows the ability to get open and move the sticks. Keep in mind he's learning a complex new offense who our other TE's had the luxory of learning over time. (Ballard & Bear were both on the Practice Squad prior to starting). Can't ask for anything more.

Ntegrase96
09-27-2012, 03:31 PM
well ur right. use ntegrase's logic. witten has some drops, and hasnt taken advantage of the chances garrets giving him. he's obviously lazy and wasting his talent...dont have red font...

and ntegrase i asked but u never responded. everything u've said about bennett has been completely contradicted by Garrett, Romo, Witten, Coach Pope, and Bennetts play.

instead of what u say, could it not be all those people are right when they say LITERALLY, JG WITTEN ROMO have ALL said that there just wasnt enough targets to give bennett the legit opportunity his skills warranted. by bennetts OWN account, he hasnt changed a damn thing, he's just finally getting a fair chance. Witten had over 150 targets each season MB was there...how would anyone expect the 2nd TE to do ANYTHING when u also have bryant and austin?

guy absolutely has VD, Grahm, Gates physical build and athleticism, ABSOLUTELY 100%. so far he's matched their play. everyone has a few drops. basically, by what ur describing, the only way u would have been pleased with bennett is if he didnt drop anything and was as effective as witten with .01% the targets

Witten has a bunch of uncharacteristic drops. There's a bit of a difference there. Something isn't right with Witt and it's pretty evident to me.

Sorry. Didn't mean to ignore your question, just a lot to respond to on the first go 'round. Prior to Bennett's departure, the only thing we ever heard was that Bennett was lazy, his focus was subpar, he was immature, etc... and that seemingly showed on the field. After Bennett was released, those guys were definitely being PC so it's hard to say how genuine their sentiments were. If Pope says he's not lazy, I view that as a change in his work ethic maybe sparked by a change of scenery.

Again. Bennett was with the team since 2008, his best season as a Cowboy. Bryant didn't come along until 2010 and Austin wasn't a star until 5 games into 2009. After Bennett's rookie year, Owens was gone and the Cowboys were transitioning their style of offense to be based more around Bennett (who had a stellar off-season in 2009) and Witten, much like what NE is doing but simpler. The offense was lethargic with this setup and after the KC game it was obvious the offense needed to revert back to playmaking WRs. Bennett had his chance and didn't do much with it. As that same year wore on, Phillips surpassed Bennett (however, Phillips had a career changing ACL injury the next year in pre-season). So again... Bennett had his chances here.

And no. Bennett is a big tight end and he's quite athletic for his size, but Vernon Davis and Jimmy Graham he is not. He's closer to Antonio Gates, but again still not the same thing. Bennett is much slower than most people seem to think. And while size is dangerous in the redzone, it's speed that is more valuable.

Overall, of course I don't expect him to make every play. Players make mistakes. Bennett made a lot of them and just seemed uninterested. You attribute that to being 'stuck' behind Witten. I say, to hell with a guy that doesn't want to go out and prove that he deserves to be the starter.

G-MENBK
09-27-2012, 03:38 PM
You clearly don't watch the games if you think Cruz avoids contact

First, do not confuse Nicks with Cruz. Nicks has come down with catches - or at least attempted to - after getting rocked into. Honestly, I'd be curious to know what game was that where Cruz was hit and you were surprised he got up.

Take a look at that Carolina game where Eli threw the ball towards Cruz with multiple defenders near-by: he didn't even attempt to make contact with the ball.

giantsfan420
09-27-2012, 03:39 PM
ok well that is much different than the complete myths u were perpetrating before. Garrett was actually pretty insightful, admitting that there wasn't really a chance for him to be a part of the passing game, so they asked him to become a complete blocking TE. And he became an EXCELLENT blocker. JG literally made it a point to point out that he wasn't lazy or had work ethic issues, it was actually the opposite because he worked so hard at what they asked. and bc it was a thing like blocking, most casual fans just make the myths up that was made up abount Bennett. I have yet to hear one ill word from anyone whose played with him. Witten himself said he believed Bennett will be a very good TE but that there wasnt a real chance behind him and that Bennett works very hard. Bennett actually has said he tries to follow in Wittens practice/work habits fwiw.

And really, so far, in the chance he was never really given in Dallas, to be the legit #1 TE, he's aced the test. Passed with flying colors with a ton more upside. and we'll have to disagree, I think MB will be considered of the Gronks, Davis's, Grahms, at TE after this season. we'll see :)

Manning
09-27-2012, 03:52 PM
While Bennett has dropped passes that might make you scream, Kevin Boss used to have quite the case of the dropsies as well. Selective memory might have you forgetting that.

jomo
09-27-2012, 03:54 PM

I think MB was just a victim of being behind a perennial favorite............and possible hall of famer. I honestly don't know how they get MB more looks when they have a guy that good ahead of him. Still, they knew that Witten was on the backside of his career and did see MB every day in practice. I guess they just blew it.

giantsfan420
09-27-2012, 03:54 PM
if anything, dallas may be able to get him back for 6 yrs 75 mil after he has a monster SB for us lol

swimeasy
09-27-2012, 04:08 PM
if anything, dallas may be able to get him back for 6 yrs 75 mil after he has a monster SB for us lol

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n265/Taroleon/GIFS/theofficegiftacklehug.gif

SUPERBOWL/BOUND/GIANTS
09-27-2012, 04:24 PM
I like MB.. I his attitude, he seems excited and willing to do whatever it takes to prove his worth. I think he has some good hands and he is pretty quick looking, creating room to make catches. Ballard was a beast.. a weirdo, he made catches I couldnt believe, he is deceptively talented, his injury really sucked and losing him to the Pats was horrible. But Im liking Bennett, I think he will stick around, hopefully they sign him to an extension before the season is over.

In Dallas, I bet his attitude wasnt as welcomed.. to feel like youre a good player and not get the playing time, and when ever he made a mistake it was crucial and hurt his trust/credit. Basically adding more un-needed pressure considering his limited playing time. With the TE that they already had in place, you really cant blame them Cowboys..

One man's waste is another man's soap... The Giants are cleaning up with Bennett!

Kruunch
09-27-2012, 04:34 PM
...........and possible hall of famer. I honestly don't know how they get MB more looks when they have a guy that good ahead of him. Still, they knew that Witten was on the backside of his career and did see MB every day in practice. I guess they just blew it.

My guess is that MB didn't immediately flash and with Witten on the team, it was an easy decision not to go in on a second contract (especially considering the cap penalty the Cowboys endured for this year and next).

SUPERBOWL/BOUND/GIANTS
09-27-2012, 04:36 PM
you got to give MB props for having the guts for signing a one year deal with a brand new team.. I dont think he would have taken a one year deal with Dallas

Ntegrase96
09-27-2012, 04:50 PM
My guess is that MB didn't immediately flash and with Witten on the team, it was an easy decision not to go in on a second contract (especially considering the cap penalty the Cowboys endured for this year and next).

You're right. Although 'immediately' Bennett DID flash (no pun intended for the online pictures of Bennett full frontal). He just never lived up that again with the Cowboys.

I don't think the cap penalty had much to do with not resigning Bennett.If any player were to be re-signed that got away it would have most likely been Laurent Robinson.

But you're right that the reason we didn't keep him was because we have Witten.

Ntegrase96
09-27-2012, 04:58 PM
ok well that is much different than the complete myths u were perpetrating before. Garrett was actually pretty insightful, admitting that there wasn't really a chance for him to be a part of the passing game, so they asked him to become a complete blocking TE. And he became an EXCELLENT blocker. JG literally made it a point to point out that he wasn't lazy or had work ethic issues, it was actually the opposite because he worked so hard at what they asked. and bc it was a thing like blocking, most casual fans just make the myths up that was made up abount Bennett. I have yet to hear one ill word from anyone whose played with him. Witten himself said he believed Bennett will be a very good TE but that there wasnt a real chance behind him and that Bennett works very hard. Bennett actually has said he tries to follow in Wittens practice/work habits fwiw.

And really, so far, in the chance he was never really given in Dallas, to be the legit #1 TE, he's aced the test. Passed with flying colors with a ton more upside. and we'll have to disagree, I think MB will be considered of the Gronks, Davis's, Grahms, at TE after this season. we'll see :)

The funny thing is that I've literally been saying the same thing this entire time, maybe just worded differently.

jomo
09-27-2012, 05:08 PM
My guess is that MB didn't immediately flash and with Witten on the team, it was an easy decision not to go in on a second contract (especially considering the cap penalty the Cowboys endured for this year and next).Probably right, the cap does that to teams. If he had another year (through this one) it would have probably been a totally different situation although if you listen to their words, it did sound like they had real doubts about MB's seriousness and focus.

giantsfan420
09-27-2012, 05:13 PM
well ntegrase to be fair, we were given ur account via rainer. he was under the impression that since you apparently said, MB was a lazy player with no work ethic who has done absolutely nothing in dallas bc of poor play (and not bc of witten).

which again, each aspect of that view has been completely contradicted by what JG, Romo, Witten, MB, and his play have stated.

giantsfan420
09-27-2012, 05:14 PM
what especially irked me was the claim that he doesnt work hard. the guy works as hard as any other player i've seen. and then on top, he masted a craft that rarely gets any recognition but requires a ton of hard work and toughness; blocking.

Eliscruzzz
09-27-2012, 05:23 PM
Witten has a bunch of uncharacteristic drops. There's a bit of a difference there. Something isn't right with Witt and it's pretty evident to me.

Sorry. Didn't mean to ignore your question, just a lot to respond to on the first go 'round. Prior to Bennett's departure, the only thing we ever heard was that Bennett was lazy, his focus was subpar, he was immature, etc... and that seemingly showed on the field. After Bennett was released, those guys were definitely being PC so it's hard to say how genuine their sentiments were. If Pope says he's not lazy, I view that as a change in his work ethic maybe sparked by a change of scenery.

Again. Bennett was with the team since 2008, his best season as a Cowboy. Bryant didn't come along until 2010 and Austin wasn't a star until 5 games into 2009. After Bennett's rookie year, Owens was gone and the Cowboys were transitioning their style of offense to be based more around Bennett (who had a stellar off-season in 2009) and Witten, much like what NE is doing but simpler. The offense was lethargic with this setup and after the KC game it was obvious the offense needed to revert back to playmaking WRs. Bennett had his chance and didn't do much with it. As that same year wore on, Phillips surpassed Bennett (however, Phillips had a career changing ACL injury the next year in pre-season). So again... Bennett had his chances here.

And no. Bennett is a big tight end and he's quite athletic for his size, but Vernon Davis and Jimmy Graham he is not. He's closer to Antonio Gates, but again still not the same thing. Bennett is much slower than most people seem to think. And while size is dangerous in the redzone, it's speed that is more valuable.

Overall, of course I don't expect him to make every play. Players make mistakes. Bennett made a lot of them and just seemed uninterested. You attribute that to being 'stuck' behind Witten. I say, to hell with a guy that doesn't want to go out and prove that he deserves to be the starter.He's definitely faster then Witten and look at what he has done..... he definitely can be just as good or better then the top 5 TE just look at the #'s