PDA

View Full Version : When the Eli and Coughlin era end....

giants-_-
09-27-2012, 08:39 AM
http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_luox9keyC11r6aoq4o1_500.gif

Back to the 20 year drought

Kruunch
09-27-2012, 08:41 AM
20 year drought? Were you a Detroit fan?

giants-_-
09-27-2012, 08:42 AM
20 year drought? Were you a Detroit fan?

you know what i mean

NYGfanNC
09-27-2012, 08:42 AM
i feel your pain, being a youngin, i became a giants fan in 2004, so Eli and TC are are the only coach/QB combo I've cheered for.

Kruunch
09-27-2012, 08:48 AM
you know what i mean

No, I seriously don't.

The current organization is too good to be bad for any appreciable length of time (granted a bad season feels like an eternity).

elismom
09-27-2012, 08:52 AM
I think he meant SB draught. Having said that the Giants put a good product out there no matter what. But there was a big lapse in time between super bowl wins.

yoeddy
09-27-2012, 09:02 AM
I think he meant SB draught. Having said that the Giants put a good product out there no matter what. But there was a big lapse in time between super bowl wins.

We only had a 17 year drought...

Toadofsteel
09-27-2012, 09:07 AM
This is gonna suck. I was too young to remember Simms and LT... first became a Giants fan with Dave Brown under center...

GameTime
09-27-2012, 09:10 AM
you never know....

PRGiant
09-27-2012, 09:11 AM
Not a big drought. You have 32 teams so on average you should win one every 32 years. We are more than ok. Go ask the Eagles :)

TheEnigma
09-27-2012, 09:13 AM
http://gifsforum.com/images/gif/cry/grand/dawson_cry_gif.gif

Dawson cries for our inevitable drought.

ashleymarie
09-27-2012, 09:45 AM
http://gifsforum.com/images/gif/cry/grand/dawson_cry_gif.gif

Dawson cries for our inevitable drought.

I'll take a tissue myself if you please. There is another Eli out there we just have to get SD to draft him for us.

ryan12
09-27-2012, 09:50 AM
i just puked in my mouth with the thought of this era ending... horrible thread

Kruunch
09-27-2012, 09:51 AM

If that's what you guys are hanging your enjoyment of the Giants on (or any NFL team) then you must go through life very disappointed.

kbusch22
09-27-2012, 09:55 AM
We've got quite a ways to go. All good things must come to an end...fortunately we probably have Eli for at least another 6 years, maybe longer (I can see him trying to play til 40 or something).

Even without the Super Bowls, we've had it a lot better than most other franchises. Our last real stinker of a year was 2004, every season since then saw the Giants at least be in the playoff hunt late in the year at minimum. Not too many other teams around the league can boast that. When you've only got a guaranteed 16 games a year, you'd like to hope they'll all be meaningful.

GameTime
09-27-2012, 09:57 AM
If that's what you guys are hanging your enjoyment of the Giants on (or any NFL team) then you must go through life very disappointed.
thats right....being a fan is a "for richer or poorer" situation. If that wasnt the case there would be many franchises that should have gone belly up many many years ago...
You cant really appreciate the SBs without crappy years....lol

Kruunch
09-27-2012, 10:05 AM
thats right....being a fan is a "for richer or poorer" situation. If that wasnt the case there would be many franchises that should have gone belly up many many years ago...
You cant really appreciate the SBs without crappy years....lol

Not just that ... it gives absolutely no respect to some great Giants teams that didn't win the Superbowl.

84, 85, 89, 93, 00 and the 08 teams come to mind. Not to mention other note worthy seasons such as 88, 97, 02 (ugh!), 05 and 06.

Match that up with most other teams in the NFL and see if they have half as many highlights.

rcrane
09-27-2012, 10:08 AM
This is gonna suck. I was too young to remember Simms and LT... first became a Giants fan with Dave Brown under center... Yeah man, i became a giants fan around 1992, suffered through the dave brown/kent graham/ danny kanell years, was rough. Cant imagine being back to that ever...

GameTime
09-27-2012, 10:10 AM
Not just that ... it gives absolutely no respect to some great Giants teams that didn't win the Superbowl.

84, 85, 89, 93, 00 and the 08 teams come to mind. Not to mention other note worthy seasons such as 88, 97, 02 (ugh!), 05 and 06.

Match that up with most other teams in the NFL and see if they have half as many highlights.

thats a great point. You cant win the SB or make the playoffs every year but that doesnt mean theteam is a good.....
thanks for pointing that out....

GameTime
09-27-2012, 10:11 AM
Yeah man, i became a giants fan around 1992, suffered through the dave brown/kent graham/ danny kanell years, was rough. Cant imagine being back to that ever...
that wasnt even suffering that bad either.......

Kruunch
Yeah man, i became a giants fan around 1992, suffered through the dave brown/kent graham/ danny kanell years, was rough. Cant imagine being back to that ever...

If we do it's because Reese is 80 years old and football has passed him by. Fortunately we have some time ;)

Kruunch

No lie ... try being a Giants fan back in the 70s.

Talk about your masochistic tendencies eeeesh!

GameTime
09-27-2012, 10:12 AM
No lie ... try being a Giants fan back in the 70s.

Talk about your masochistic tendencies eeeesh!
even with that I am glad I am not a Mets or Jets fan......thats true S&M...

Kruunch
09-27-2012, 10:14 AM
even with that I am glad I am not a Mets or Jets fan......thats true S&M...

More like esteem issues :D

NorwoodBlue
09-27-2012, 10:18 AM
When you guys can remember Joe Pisarcek, and Rocky Thompson then you can talk about teams that truly sucked. Eli's got at least five more good years, and there will be a time that the team needs to draft and develop a placekeeper QB to tide things over until the next franchise QB comes along. Unfortunately to get a franchise QB probably means you need to really suck bad the year he's a senior in college in order to be in position to draft him. So the best option might be to draft a guy in the late first or second rounds and give him a couple years to develop behind Eli. I can't see them doing that in the next two or three years, unless Eli suffers an injury that changes to whole equation. Eli's durablility has been incredible, and he's allowed the franchise to put off the issue of his successor for a long time, let's hope it continues that way.

Kruunch
09-27-2012, 10:23 AM
When you guys can remember Joe Pisarcek, and Rocky Thompson then you can talk about teams that truly sucked. Eli's got at least five more good years, and there will be a time that the team needs to draft and develop a placekeeper QB to tide things over until the next franchise QB comes along. Unfortunately to get a franchise QB probably means you need to really suck bad the year he's a senior in college in order to be in position to draft him. So the best option might be to draft a guy in the late first or second rounds and give him a couple years to develop behind Eli. I can't see them doing that in the next two or three years, unless Eli suffers an injury that changes to whole equation. Eli's durablility has been incredible, and he's allowed the franchise to put off the issue of his successor for a long time, let's hope it continues that way.

Craig Morton would make people BEG for Dave Brown again.

G-MENBK
09-27-2012, 10:45 AM
I am just thankful to say that I was born a little before Super Bowl XXI, so, I am oblivious to Giants being super bad; I've been alive for only the good times.

RagTime Blue
09-27-2012, 11:17 AM
Anything's possible. All the fans in Green Bay thought the world was ending when management made a "dreadful mistake" letting go of Favre.

Brady & Brees weren't first rounders. Rodgers was picked #24 (a 9-7 team who missed the playoffs might get that pick). Say what you want, but Romo is a pretty good QB who never got drafted.

You don't need to finish with 3 or 4 wins to get a Franchise QB.

jimsgints
09-27-2012, 01:48 PM
We still have Reese.. No worries.

Giantz4Life
09-27-2012, 01:50 PM
When I hear Eli retires.......

http://i604.photobucket.com/albums/tt128/mansionslippers/Ay5Ol.gif

TheAnalyst
09-27-2012, 01:53 PM
Nah, teams have hit before on back to back solid QBs. Bledsoe - Brady, Favre - Rodgers, Montana - Young, Peyton - Luck... Some teams understand how important a great QB is to a team winning a superbowl. Hopefully it wasnt just EA who saw this.

GMan-67
09-27-2012, 02:07 PM
Really???? ... wow, you seem to want doom and gloom so bad that you are looking 5+ years down the road with Eli

finally, isnt coaching the Giants one of the most prestigious coaching jobs in the NFL? ... you actually think we will not be able to attract a great coach???

here's a great example ... NE might be looking at 2 years instead of 5+ ... and who is their next QB or next coach?

TheEnigma
09-27-2012, 02:12 PM
The next franchise QB for the Giants is probably in high school texting his friends in other classes and only thinking about going home to play FPS games with his pals. We have a long ways to go before Eli rides off into that sunset...or signs a short term contract with another team.

Toadofsteel
09-27-2012, 02:13 PM
The next franchise QB for the Giants is probably in high school texting his friends in other classes and only thinking about going home to play FPS games with his pals. We have a long ways to go before Eli rides off into that sunset...or signs a short term contract with another team.

Hopefully... on the other hand he might not even be born yet.

jomo
09-27-2012, 02:32 PM
http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_luox9keyC11r6aoq4o1_500.gif

Back to the 20 year droughtThat type of comments defines the type of person I seek to avoid in my life at all costs. May your glass some day be half full. Go Blue!!

Roosevelt
09-27-2012, 02:37 PM

I cannot believe we all survived 80 years with only 6 World Championships. I don't know about anyone else, but I am certainly looking forward to when the homers leave. :D

Roosevelt
09-27-2012, 02:38 PM
That type of comments defines the type of person I seek to avoid in my life at all costs. May your glass some day be half full. Go Blue!!

Absolutely.

Tmurda1984
09-27-2012, 05:40 PM
We still have Reese.. No worries.

Hahaha thats comic. Reese probably won't last much longer after the Eli Manning era. Its not that easy to find franchise QBs...and Acorsi had to make one of the most controversial trades in history just to get a guy like Eli, Reese does not have the balls to make moves like that, he will calmly sit back and wait for the pick to come to us.

joemorrisforprez
09-27-2012, 05:42 PM
A great coach + QB combo is very rare. Often, you'll have one or the other, but not both at the same time.

Eliscruzzz
09-27-2012, 05:45 PM
I think it will end this year if we win a SB..... I think TC will walk off into the sunset if not after that he will walk out if we didn't win it the year after. I get kinda nervous thinking about it cause I want TC around forever and Eli but I think it we repeated this year TC would call it quits and I don't blame him.Although after watching a Football Life and seeing how much he loves coaching I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed until Eli retired.....to hard to tell lets just enjoy both while we have them.

bigjeep
09-27-2012, 05:57 PM
you never know....

do one!

drewz
09-27-2012, 05:59 PM
http://media.nj.com/giants_impact/photo/9508325-large.jpg

"20 year drought? maybe you cheer for the cowboys, you'll be in familiar terrority"

GentleGiant
09-27-2012, 06:01 PM
Seeing as the 9ers went from Montanna to Young

The packers went from Favre to Rodgers

The pats went from bledsoe to Brady

With literally ZERO time in between, I wouldn't think too much of it. Don't worry. We're not gonna end up like the dolphins where we end with Dan Marino then it ends from there for 30+ years. The organization is too good for that.

burier
09-27-2012, 06:03 PM

With literally ZERO time in between, I wouldn't think too much of it. Don't worry. We're not gonna end up like the dolphins where we end with Dan Marino then it ends from there for 30+ years. The organization is too good for that.

marino didn't retire 30 years ago.

Diamondring
09-27-2012, 06:04 PM

With literally ZERO time in between, I wouldn't think too much of it. Don't worry. We're not gonna end up like the dolphins where we end with Dan Marino then it ends from there for 30+ years. The organization is too good for that.But the organization consist of humans and humans don't last long. We could have a 80 year drought cause of many reasons.

joemorrisforprez
09-27-2012, 06:05 PM
I think it will end this year if we win a SB..... I think TC will walk off into the sunset if not after that he will walk out if we didn't win it the year after. I get kinda nervous thinking about it cause I want TC around forever and Eli but I think it we repeated this year TC would call it quits and I don't blame him.Although after watching a Football Life and seeing how much he loves coaching I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed until Eli retired.....to hard to tell lets just enjoy both while we have them.

I don't think Coughlin would retire after winning a 3rd.....it's clear he loves what he does, and his wife gives him 100% support.

His biggest coaching role models are John Wooden, and Vince Lombardi.....those guys won multiple titles and kept going.....so would he as long as his heart is in it.

Drez
09-27-2012, 06:06 PM
Even with as marginal as most of those teams were, we still made the playoffs every so often.

Drez
09-27-2012, 06:07 PM
marino didn't retire 30 years ago.
I'm sure it feels that long for Dolphins fans though, lol.