PDA

View Full Version : Great Bennett Interview - New York Times

clawwolf
09-27-2012, 12:46 PM
Apologies if this article has been posted already, I searched but did not see it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/20/sports/football/giants-martellus-bennett-is-a-tight-end-who-cuts-loose.html?ref=samborden

This is a pretty interesting interview from a very unique guy. I really dig his kid-like enthusiasm and his non-sequitors, he sounds like a complete awesome nerd. He's quickly becoming one of my favorite giant personalities. Hopefully, he keeps working and striving to be in that elite group of TE's. Also, linked in is his cap'n crunch video if anyone hasn't seen it, its pretty amazing for several reasons, including a super mario bros backbeat. Yeah, this guy is pretty f***** cool.

“Basically, I like cool stuff that becomes cooler when you make it a ninja,”

I mean, how can you argue with that?

Go Giants.

hadenough
09-27-2012, 12:57 PM
Apologies if this article has been posted already, I searched but did not see it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/20/sports/football/giants-martellus-bennett-is-a-tight-end-who-cuts-loose.html?ref=samborden

This is a pretty interesting interview from a very unique guy. I really dig his kid-like enthusiasm and his non-sequitors, he sounds like a complete awesome nerd. He's quickly becoming one of my favorite giant personalities. Hopefully, he keeps working and striving to be in that elite group of TE's. Also, linked in is his cap'n crunch video if anyone hasn't seen it, its pretty amazing for several reasons, including a super mario bros backbeat. Yeah, this guy is pretty f***** cool.

Go Giants.

Very cool

GameTime
09-27-2012, 01:00 PM
Nice article. he sounds like he has ADD....:)
Hopefully he can remain focused on the field like he has been.

giantsfan420
09-27-2012, 01:15 PM
gotta love the ending. you can live here for the rest of your career bennett, just sign with the giants at a home discount rate. i honestly could see bennett, as described by the article, taking less to stay here if the hypothetical situation ever arises.

Dwinsballgames
09-27-2012, 01:20 PM
Cool article. You gotta love this guy

repeatchamps
09-27-2012, 01:38 PM

Go Giants.

Great article. I live 5 minutes north of that Ben and Jerry's by the way. Gone there many times.:D

RoanokeFan
09-27-2012, 01:41 PM
Nice article. he sounds like he has ADD....:)
Hopefully he can remain focused on the field like he has been.

ADD as in Another Defensive Dilemma?

RoanokeFan
09-27-2012, 01:42 PM
Great article. I live 5 minutes north of that Ben and Jerry's by the way. Gone there many times.:D

We'll have to start calling you Chunky Monkey ;)

Toadofsteel
09-27-2012, 01:49 PM
Reading that article Bennett sounds more and more like a younger Brandon Jacobs in personality, just one that plays a different position. He honestly sounds like a big kid who just wants to let his imagination run wild...

GameTime
09-27-2012, 01:50 PM

wow...how long did it take to come up with that one......:D

TheAnalyst
09-27-2012, 01:50 PM
I like the dude, but I would not give him a big long contract he will demand. He seems interested in everything. Yeah, football is part of it, but he doesnt sound like he is 100% dedicated. I think that is what they saw in Dallas when he wasn't the #1. Sounds like a good guy though.

RoanokeFan
09-27-2012, 01:58 PM
wow...how long did it take to come up with that one......:D

Not long, what day is it? :(

Toadofsteel
09-27-2012, 02:00 PM
I like the dude, but I would not give him a big long contract he will demand. He seems interested in everything. Yeah, football is part of it, but he doesnt sound like he is 100% dedicated. I think that is what they saw in Dallas when he wasn't the #1. Sounds like a good guy though.

I'd rather keep him... he seems to understand our system relatively well, and I'd rather not burn an early draft pick on a TE when we need more OL...

repeatchamps
09-27-2012, 02:03 PM
I'd rather keep him... he seems to understand our system relatively well, and I'd rather not burn an early draft pick on a TE when we need more OL...

If he ends up on par with or better than Shockey's top numbers while Shockey was at his best with Eli, Bennett is going nowhere and he will get a long term deal with the Giants for sure.

clawwolf
09-27-2012, 02:04 PM

Haha, good one! Hopefully :) He's a mighty magical steed who comes from the land of rainbows and dragons. I also like that he wants to get better and is not impressed with his own play.

TheAnalyst
09-27-2012, 02:06 PM
If he ends up on par with Shockey's top numbers while Shockey was at his best, Bennett is going nowhere and he will get a long term deal with the Giants for sure.

Again, I just dont see it happening. Cruz is up after this season, and Nicks after next. Add in KP and probably AB2 now, and thats some money being thrown out there. I dont see how we can give MB top 5 TE money he will probably demand. He is on pace for 1000+ yards and 16 TDs.

repeatchamps
09-27-2012, 02:08 PM
Again, I just dont see it happening. Cruz is up after this season, and Nicks after next. Add in KP and probably AB2 now, and thats some money being thrown out there. I dont see how we can give MB top 5 TE money he will probably demand. He is on pace for 1000+ yards and 16 TDs.

Add in JPP and soon enough Tuck and I see your point but I do think they'll find a way. We'll see I guess.

dezzzR
09-27-2012, 02:14 PM
He pauses for a moment: “You see? It’s written by me, but illustrated by you.”

Thats actually a really great idea for a kids book.
Im glad we have him. Hes def a legit red zone threat.

RoanokeFan
09-27-2012, 02:21 PM

AB2 is in his rookie contract, not an immediate concern. Nicks and Cruz are definitely top concerns

DVision
09-27-2012, 02:46 PM

The article was about his current life! There is more to life than football. The article was supposed to give us a look at Bennett as a man and how he wound up where he is. I don't see how you can get a read on his dedication from that 3 page article.

From reading the article it sounds like his unhappiness in Dallas stems from more than just what was happening on the field.

GiantRoc
09-27-2012, 03:12 PM
I get a mostly positive reaction from that article. I see him as a person who isn't all about himself. The fact that he and his wife seem to love New York, bodes well for him staying here. It would seem that Eli is a perfect match for him. Eli has a quiet intensity. Like a teacher who wants his students to excell and knows how to get them where they need to go. The biggest worry I see is that MB decides he's done with the game, and moves on to another interest. I don't see that happening too soon though. I also don't see MB as a "Show me the money" type, (at least not from this article). This may be his "Magic Kingdom". He seems to love the area. He could get perks from the area that would mean more than money for him. Access to publishers and artists and other creative people. However it works out, I thinks its going to be fun to watch!

Dwinsballgames
09-27-2012, 03:22 PM
The article was about his current life! There is more to life than football. The article was supposed to give us a look at Bennett as a man and how he wound up where he is. I don't see how you can get a read on his dedication from that 3 page article.

From reading the article it sounds like his unhappiness in Dallas stems from more than just what was happening on the field.

I agree. We don't always have to read something machiavelian into players private lives as they associate to play on the field. These guys are human beings not robots. he's just a character with more interests than just football. That's actually good for him because how long is the average professional football career nowadays for a tight end? eight years?