PDA

View Full Version : bradshaw has bulging/inflamed disc in neck

craigjr007
09-27-2012, 03:26 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2012/09/bradshaw-has-a-bulging-disc-in-his-neck

After that, the Giants put in Andre Brown, who finished that game and started the Giants’ win in Carolina last Thursday night, too. The Giants never publicly disclosed the nature of Bradshaw’s injury, though one source close to Bradshaw had described it as a mere “sprain.”

A bulging disc is more serious than that. In 2009 that injury ended the career of Giants linebacker Antonio Pierce. And it nearly did the same to linebacker Mathias Kiwanuka in 2010, ending that season for him after just three games.

The extent of Bradshaw’s injury isn’t clear and there are definitely lesser, non-career-threatening disc injuries and issues. He said once the swelling went down in his neck and he started to feel better, he was cleared to return to the field. He said he does not need surgery to repair the disc. In fact, he said there’s “nothing” doctors can do.

“They can’t do anything,” he said. “Just let it heal. It’s pretty much like an inflamed disc. It’s sitting right on my spinal cord, I guess. The swelling went down and I feel fine now. No setbacks, no problem.”After that, the Giants put in Andre Brown, who finished that game and started the Giants’ win in Carolina last Thursday night, too. The Giants never publicly disclosed the nature of Bradshaw’s injury, though one source close to Bradshaw had described it as a mere “sprain.”

A bulging disc is more serious than that. In 2009 that injury ended the career of Giants linebacker Antonio Pierce. And it nearly did the same to linebacker Mathias Kiwanuka in 2010, ending that season for him after just three games.

The extent of Bradshaw’s injury isn’t clear and there are definitely lesser, non-career-threatening disc injuries and issues. He said once the swelling went down in his neck and he started to feel better, he was cleared to return to the field. He said he does not need surgery to repair the disc. In fact, he said there’s “nothing” doctors can do.

“They can’t do anything,” he said. “Just let it heal. It’s pretty much like an inflamed disc. It’s sitting right on my spinal cord, I guess. The swelling went down and I feel fine now. No setbacks, no problem.”

giantsfan420
09-27-2012, 03:27 PM
how is he still playing? is he stupid? he's a rb, that area is the most vulnerable. if this is accurate pls dont play him giants for his own good.

GameTime
09-27-2012, 03:30 PM
hmmm.....
could be an issue obviously considering RBs use their heads very often. This may make him tentative. He will be on a short leash I suspect.

Kruunch
09-27-2012, 03:32 PM
how is he still playing? is he stupid? he's a rb, that area is the most vulnerable. if this is accurate pls dont play him giants for his own good.

Yes I agree ... we'll totally be willing to endure Andre Browns' 100+ yard, 2 TD game again.

For the team!

*whistles*

giantsfan420
09-27-2012, 03:32 PM
he prob just got a stinger. i cannot believe for a second he'd be playing football with a bulging disc in his neck. that'd be asking for serious injury.

and even if he is cleared with that injury, which i strongly doubt the giants medical staff would clear that injury (again I think he is misunderstanding something), but if they did, why play him vs phily? his first game back vs a team we have bad blood with. u disclosed this for some moronic reason (another reason i doubt he has this injury) so now philly can fully try n head hunt him. rest is good for whatever is actually hurting him and it may make more sense to sit him this week

GMENAGAIN
09-27-2012, 03:34 PM
80% of the population over 20 years old has bulging discs.

RoanokeFan
09-27-2012, 03:34 PM
I had a bulging disc years ago. It wasn't too bad at first and my Neurosurgeon said when the pain gets bad enough, you'll be back. He was right and I had it surgically treated.

RoanokeFan
09-27-2012, 03:35 PM

In some cases, passive treatment with anti-inflammatories works well

Kruunch
09-27-2012, 03:37 PM

I had a bulging disc years ago. It wasn't too bad at first and my Neurosurgeon said when the pain gets bad enough, you'll be back. He was right and I had it surgically treated.

80% of the population isn't banging it up inside against the Eagles dline either.

For normal day to day life, bulging and herniated discs are something most (if not all) of us will have to deal with eventually to some extent or another. Except in the most extreme cases, these are usually no more complicated then a little inconvenience.

For an NFL player, a bulging disc can be career ending. At the very least, a strong cause for concern.

joemorrisforprez
09-27-2012, 03:42 PM
Given how Andre Brown has played, I see no reason why Bradshaw should get the start given the nature of his injury. Keep Bradshaw active, and if Brown is having issues, give Bradshaw some shots.....otherwise, let him rest up.

But, whatever, I'm done trying to make sense of it......let's bench Brown and go with dude with th bulging disc in his neck. Okay.

RoanokeFan
09-27-2012, 03:44 PM
80% of the population isn't banging it up inside against the Eagles dline either.

For normal day to day life, bulging and herniated discs are something most (if not all) of us will have to deal with eventually to some extent or another. Except in the most extreme cases, these are usually no more complicated then a little inconvenience.

For an NFL player, a bulging disc can be career ending. At the very least, a strong cause for concern.

I would have to agree

RoanokeFan
09-27-2012, 03:46 PM
Given how Andre Brown has played, I see no reason why Bradshaw should get the start given the nature of his injury. Keep Bradshaw active, and if Brown is having issues, give Bradshaw some shots.....otherwise, let him rest up.

But, whatever, I'm done trying to make sense of it......let's bench Brown and go with dude with th bulging disc in his neck. Okay.

It's how the organization operates. You are too hung up on the word "start." TC has said said repeatedly Brown will get snaps and they will go with "the hot hand."

burier
09-27-2012, 03:47 PM
lol Bradshaw is gonna play with a bulding disc??? If it was Tuck he would shut it down for the next 3 seasons.

ny06
09-27-2012, 03:53 PM
If the medical staff has cleared him than it can't be as bad as it sounds.

RoanokeFan
09-27-2012, 03:53 PM
lol Bradshaw is gonna play with a bulding disc??? If it was Tuck he would shut it down for the next 3 seasons.

Once the medical folks clear a player to play, it's all up to him. Still, I'm not sure Bradshaw is thinking clearly unless he's been assured he can't make it worse.

Jiffy Jeff
09-27-2012, 03:59 PM

I'm 36 years old and I feel like I have more discs bulging than a mother****er!!!!

RoanokeFan
09-27-2012, 04:01 PM
I'm 36 years old and I feel like I have more discs bulging than a mother****er!!!!

LOL Just how many would that be? :p

giantsfan420
09-27-2012, 04:04 PM
if im the giants i make sure 44 isnt making this decision based solely on his pride. RF made the point about the medical staff. if the staff clears him, 44 still needs to make a thoughtful decision

swimeasy
09-27-2012, 04:04 PM
Once the medical folks clear a player to play, it's all up to him. Still, I'm not sure Bradshaw is thinking clearly unless he's been assured he can't make it worse.

Do they have such a thing as an "Against Medical Advice" waiver? People can leave hospitals on that basis and do. They accept responsibility and liability and as long as they are competent to sign, it is honored whether we agree with it or not.

jomo
09-27-2012, 04:05 PM
80% of the population over 20 years old has bulging discs.This isn't going to lead to yet another discussion of "packages" is it.........like, will Bradsahw's bulging disc result in a smaller package? lol

DVision
09-27-2012, 04:08 PM
If the medical staff has cleared him than it can't be as bad as it sounds.

^^^this!!!

Everyone wants to think they're a doctor! I believe the medical staff (you know the doctors who've actually examined Bradshaw) know the circumstances better than the media or any of us!

After all they are the same people who examined Pierce and Kiwi and came to different conclusions on both of those injuries.

RoanokeFan
09-27-2012, 04:11 PM
Do they have such a thing as an "Against Medical Advice" waiver? People can leave hospitals on that basis and do. They accept responsibility and liability and as long as they are competent to sign, it is honored whether we agree with it or not.

That's only for someone doing something against medical advice. He's been cleared to practice so that won't come into play. No team in the NFL is going to open themselves up to what would be a HUGE lawsuit.

burier
09-27-2012, 04:13 PM

You just made that up

swimeasy
09-27-2012, 04:15 PM
^^^this!!!

Everyone wants to think they're a doctor! I believe the medical staff (you know the doctors who've actually examined Bradshaw) know the circumstances better than the media or any of us!

After all they are the same people who examined Pierce and Kiwi and came to different conclusions on both of those injuries.

IA, this must have been embellished for public consumption. I just can't see the Giants playing Bradshaw and the medical staff and team risking liability even if he signed a waiver.

RoanokeFan
09-27-2012, 04:16 PM
This isn't going to lead to yet another discussion of "packages" is it.........like, will Bradsahw's bulging disc result in a smaller package? lol

Not until Harooni mans up......

swimeasy
09-27-2012, 04:17 PM
That's only for someone doing something against medical advice. He's been cleared to practice so that won't come into play. No team in the NFL is going to open themselves up to what would be a HUGE lawsuit.

Thanks Ro. I totally agree.

OX1
09-27-2012, 04:49 PM
He probably had that bulging disk well before the latest injury.
Just finally bulged far enough to hit the cord.
Worse case the disk ruptures and he has to get
it fused or a replacement, but none of that will be life threatening.

Think his career wil be over if that happens though.
Seems kind of silly to play so soon, kind of like whitten's spleen.

RoanokeFan
09-27-2012, 04:53 PM
He probably had that bulging disk well before the latest injury.
Just finally bulged far enough to hit the cord.
Worse case the disk ruptures and he has to get
it fused or a replacement, but none of that will be life threatening.

Think his career wil be over if that happens though.
Seems kind of silly to play so soon, kind of like whitten's spleen.

Unfortunately, for so many players, this is all the know and there is no Plan B.

TextureDj
09-27-2012, 05:17 PM
LOL Just how many would that be? :p That, depends on the size of the mother in question.

RoanokeFan
09-27-2012, 05:35 PM
That, depends on the size of the mother in question.

LMAO well done

giantsfan420
09-27-2012, 05:45 PM
exactly what i think ox1 well said. its a very precarious injury.a hit the wrong way and next thing he knows, he's having things surgically attached to his vertebra. i suppose that could happen with any bad hit, but i have to believe with a bulging disc in the neck, the chance at serious injury goes way way up

fansince69
09-27-2012, 05:52 PM

Same with me but mine was in my lumbar and about 2-3 times a year I would lose use of my legs for up to a week...then I had surgery...hasn't bothered me since but I don't bend the way I use to.

GMan-67
09-27-2012, 06:02 PM
Bradshaw is a throwback to a time when guys played through injuries ... before the divas and primadonnas ... while i hate to hear that he has a legit injury to his neck ... im proud that he is one of my Super Bowl heros and i hope our 3 headed running attack becomes feared throughout the league this year

G-Men !!!!

Flip Empty
09-27-2012, 06:41 PM
I was worried it could be something more serious... I'm going to cringe every time he gets touched now :/

GameTime
09-27-2012, 06:44 PM
Bradshaw is a throwback to a time when guys played through injuries ... before the divas and primadonnas ... while i hate to hear that he has a legit injury to his neck ... im proud that he is one on my Super Bowl heros and i hope our 3 headed running attack becomes feared throughout the league this year

G-Men !!!!
sometimes playhing through injuries is just stupid. I hope thats not the case. I assume its not or he wouldnt be cleared.

Eliscruzzz
09-27-2012, 07:00 PM
I don't know what to think of Bradshaw.....I don't know if it's the o-line or that he is just not seeing the holes or is he just really hurt. I think Bradshaw if he is not a 100 percent healthy just take your time and heal up there is no much we all know he will be the starter when he gets back, although we are going to really need his pass protection against the Eagles D-line. Then again I'm loving the way Brown is running and just hitting the holes and the Eagles have that wide 9 they play... there are going to be a lot of big runs up the middle and with Browns power and speed I think he could have a big day. I'm just afraid Bradshaw is going to start that dancing stuff in the back field and not hit the holes with power. I really don't know it's hard to tell.

GMan-67
09-27-2012, 07:04 PM
sometimes playhing through injuries is just stupid. I hope thats not the case. I assume its not or he wouldnt be cleared.

not when your a 7th round draft pick and apparently most of your own fans of your Super Bowl winning performance do not appreciate you ... you play until someone burns your uniform

DragonSoul
09-27-2012, 07:20 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2012/09/bradshaw-has-a-bulging-disc-in-his-neck

After that, the Giants put in Andre Brown, who finished that game and started the Giants’ win in Carolina last Thursday night, too. The Giants never publicly disclosed the nature of Bradshaw’s injury, though one source close to Bradshaw had described it as a mere “sprain.”

“They can’t do anything,” he said. “Just let it heal. It’s pretty much like an inflamed disc. It’s sitting right on my spinal cord, I guess. The swelling went down and I feel fine now. No setbacks, no problem.”After that, the Giants put in Andre Brown, who finished that game and started the Giants’ win in Carolina last Thursday night, too. The Giants never publicly disclosed the nature of Bradshaw’s injury, though one source close to Bradshaw had described it as a mere “sprain.”

“They can’t do anything,” he said. “Just let it heal. It’s pretty much like an inflamed disc. It’s sitting right on my spinal cord, I guess. The swelling went down and I feel fine now. No setbacks, no problem.”Can be simple or a bit more complexed. Heals over time but there are ways to increase the likely hood that it may heal faster. Cant really talk about it w/o seeing the films and history. If it is a bulge it is the best of the worst possible other choices it could have been.

joemorrisforprez
09-27-2012, 07:45 PM
It's how the organization operates. You are too hung up on the word "start." TC has said said repeatedly Brown will get snaps and they will go with "the hot hand."

I'm more hung up on a running back with a bulging disk in his neck getting back on the field and taking carries from a guy who is getting it done.

We also spent a 1st round pick on another runningback who so far has been mothballed.

GameTime
09-27-2012, 07:46 PM
not when your a 7th round draft pick and apparently most of your on fans of your Super Bowl winning performance do not appreciate you ... you play until someone burns your uniform
how and when dont most of his fans appreciate him?? You base this in one lame message board thread....
Bradshaw being a 7th round pick at this stage of the game is a totally moot point.

GameTime
09-27-2012, 07:47 PM
I'm more hung up on a running back with a bulging disk in his neck getting back on the field and taking carries from a guy who is getting it done.

We also spent a 1st round pick on another runningback who so far has been mothballed.
ehh...no worries with Wilson he will be a factor for this team at some point.....

joemorrisforprez
09-27-2012, 07:52 PM
ehh...no worries with Wilson he will be a factor for this team at some point.....

Part of me (the naive part) is hoping that they have some designed plays for Wilson and are keeping him under wraps so that the Eagles have nothing to gameplan with.

pino
09-27-2012, 07:54 PM
I blame the beds in Albany!!

GameTime
09-27-2012, 07:55 PM
Part of me (the naive part) is hoping that they have some designed plays for Wilson and are keeping him under wraps so that the Eagles have nothing to gameplan with.

we also dont see what he is or isnt doing in practice as well. I have the confidence in the Giants that they will get him going at some point in time.....

Redeyejedi
09-27-2012, 08:26 PM
80% of the population over 20 years old has bulging discs.is 80 % of the population getting smashed by 6'3 310 Defensive Tackles and 6-2 245lb LB's

Redeyejedi
09-27-2012, 08:30 PM
how and when dont most of his fans appreciate him?? You base this in one lame message board thread....
Bradshaw being a 7th round pick at this stage of the game is a totally moot point. Funny how everyone supported Diehl until they saw how much better the team was without him. Best players play period. This isnt about what U did its about winning THIS YEAR

GMENAGAIN
09-27-2012, 08:35 PM
is 80 % of the population getting smashed by 6'3 310 Defensive Tackles and 6-2 245lb LB's

Nah, I get that. My point was that bulging discs only become significant if they are impinging upon a nerve, which I guess his is. If the acute inflammation settles down with some rest, it's possible that the disc doesn't cause him any more problems.

herniated discs are really more of a concern than bulging discs.

appodictic
09-27-2012, 09:22 PM
That's only for someone doing something against medical advice. He's been cleared to practice so that won't come into play. No team in the NFL is going to open themselves up to what would be a HUGE lawsuit. Whitten was willing to sign one of these to play in the cowboys giants game 1 superbowl.

giant-4-life
09-27-2012, 09:44 PM
I think AB is done. Brown is our go to guy. I feel safer with him

RoanokeFan
09-27-2012, 09:45 PM
Part of me (the naive part) is hoping that they have some designed plays for Wilson and are keeping him under wraps so that the Eagles have nothing to gameplan with. Can't it just be Wilson's not quite ready?

RoanokeFan
09-27-2012, 09:48 PM
Whitten was willing to sign one of these to play in the cowboys giants game 1 superbowl. Witten was willing to sign a release. But in our litigious society, had something serious happened to him, that would not necessarily have protected the team.

RoanokeFan
09-27-2012, 09:50 PM
Funny how everyone supported Diehl until they saw how much better the team was without him. Best players play period. This isnt about what U did its about winning THIS YEAR I still support him but the reality is his time has come to take a lesser role.