PDA

View Full Version : Giants' Hakeem Nicks downgraded to out against Eagles

NYG4lifeNYK
09-29-2012, 03:21 PM
https://twimg0-a.akamaihd.net/profile_images/1153543328/profilepic_normal.jpg Jenny Vrentas ‏@JennyVrentas (https://twitter.com/JennyVrentas) Hakeem Nicks has been downgraded to out and won't travel to Philly, Giants announce. #nyg (https://twitter.com/search/?q=%23nyg&src=hash)

RoanokeFan
09-29-2012, 03:23 PM
https://twimg0-a.akamaihd.net/profile_images/1153543328/profilepic_normal.jpg Jenny Vrentas ‏@JennyVrentas (https://twitter.com/JennyVrentas) Hakeem Nicks has been downgraded to out and won't travel to Philly, Giants announce. #nyg (https://twitter.com/search/?q=%23nyg&src=hash)

Well, now we know for sure

EnragedYouth85
09-29-2012, 03:26 PM
I figured this was going to happen, hurt ankle, swollon knee.. no juju

NYG4lifeNYK
09-29-2012, 03:27 PM
Well, now we know for sure
:(

Oh well next man up... I just hope Barden can do well playing physical against DRC. Cruz is going to *** rape Nnamdi again haha :cool:

Rudyy
09-29-2012, 03:27 PM
NOW WE ARE GONNA LOSE FOR SURE!

EnragedYouth85
09-29-2012, 03:28 PM
:(

Oh well next man up... I just hope Barden can do well playing physical against DRC. Cruz is going to *** rape Nnamdi again haha :cool:

Nnamdi will probably fall on his fact again trying to cover Cruz lol

RoanokeFan
09-29-2012, 03:28 PM
http://www.giants101.com/2012/09/29/new-york-giants-hakeem-nicks-downgraded-to-out-against-philadelphia-eagles/

Excerpt: "Anyone that was still holding out hope that New York (http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york/) Giants wide receiver Hakeem Nicks would pull a miraculous Jason Witten-type turnaround and play on Sunday against the Philadelphia Eagles can now let go. The team announced on Saturday that Nicks would not make the trip to Philly and was downgraded to out.

Although he had adequate rest for his foot, it was unexpected knee swelling that will cause Nicks to miss his second consecutive game. In his absence, Domenik Hixon, who is returning from a concussion, will take over Nicks' spot with Ramses Barden again finding himself bumped up the depth chart due to injury." Read more...

TheEnigma
09-29-2012, 03:29 PM
Should probably rest him next week as well. We have a very important stretch of NFC games after Cleveland.

EnragedYouth85
09-29-2012, 03:30 PM
interesting...

juice33s
09-29-2012, 03:34 PM
Its all good, Giants are 7-0 with out Nicks including last season's big win in NE....It's a good oppurtunity for Barden to build up his confidence and when Nicks comes back we'll be that much deeper and explosive because of it

RoanokeFan
09-29-2012, 03:35 PM
interesting...

We now get to watch "next man up" yet again. So far, it's worked pretty good.

giantsfan420
09-29-2012, 03:35 PM
u know enigma, i was anti the whole resting him if "we face a scrub team" but now, i think it might be worth it. for one, it'll help him get back to 100% and two, it'll help the giants out come contract talk time

giantsfan420
09-29-2012, 03:36 PM
lol posted in the wrong thread sorry. it was about the same topic, nicks injury. enigma said we shoud sit him next week too, and that was my response. sorry again

giantsfan420
09-29-2012, 03:37 PM
u know enigma, i was anti the whole resting him if "we face a scrub team" but now, i think it might be worth it. for one, it'll help him get back to 100% and two, it'll help the giants out come contract talk time

giantsfan420
09-29-2012, 03:38 PM
i assumed barden would start for nicks as well. there has been talk that hixon is tho, anyone got any comments from the coaches on it

EnragedYouth85
09-29-2012, 03:38 PM
We now get to watch "next man up" yet again. So far, it's worked pretty good.

I think we will be find, Barden showed he can ball, plus we still have Cruz and Bennett. Hixon is a savvy veteran that has speed so I think we will be just fine!

EnragedYouth85
09-29-2012, 03:41 PM
i assumed barden would start for nicks as well. there has been talk that hixon is tho, anyone got any comments from the coaches on it

http://boards.giants.com/showthread.php?20098-Giants-Hakeem-Nicks-downgraded-to-out-against-Eagles

There is an article linked in this thread. It said that Hixon will be taking over for Nicks and Barden moved up on the depth charts.

TheEnigma
09-29-2012, 03:41 PM

It's more of the fact Cleveland is an AFC game. They are the "least" important games when it comes to tiebreakers and what not. I'd rather have Nicks around for the important matches like the 49ers (possible home field adv/WC spot) and the Redskins/Cowboys games coming up after that. Would be awfully silly to have Nicks aggravate his injury against the Browns if there is even the slightest chance.

RoanokeFan
09-29-2012, 03:42 PM
I think we will be find, Barden showed he can ball, plus we still have Cruz and Bennett. Hixon is a savvy veteran that has speed so I think we will be just fine!

I said in another thread that I'm thinking Air Eli has a pretty good outing

titwio
09-29-2012, 03:43 PM
So is it HIxon or Barden?

EnragedYouth85
09-29-2012, 03:43 PM
I said in another thread that I'm thinking Air Eli has a pretty good outing

Only time will tell, I'm saying we win by at least 7 points..

Buddy333
09-29-2012, 03:45 PM
If Hixon and Barden get the job done they should consider giving Nicks some extra rest. Also, if they win this game and Eli has a good game there will be talk of MVP.

EnragedYouth85
09-29-2012, 03:47 PM
If Hixon and Barden get the job done they should consider giving Nicks some extra rest. Also, if they win this game and Eli has a good game there will be talk of MVP.

I'm not sure if the NFL will ever give Eli the league MVP... they can't even acknowledge he's an elite QB let alone saying hes the best player in the NFL..

RoanokeFan
09-29-2012, 03:48 PM

I don't think anyone believes Hixon or Barden are Nicks' equal. But with Cruz occupied and Bennett ready to break out, the two receivers behind Cruz could have pretty good games.

P_Simms_#11
09-29-2012, 03:50 PM
So is it HIxon or Barden?

Hixon

juice33s
09-29-2012, 03:52 PM
Hixon
I say Barden, stick with the hot hand...Also Hixon has had an oppurtunity as a starter (2 ACL's ago) and never really shined like Barden did last week...It's Barden's time, now or never

Buddy333
09-29-2012, 03:53 PM
My point is that if Eli has a good game while missing his #1 WR for the 2nd game in a row against this defense there will be TALK of MVP. Remember, there will be 12 games left to play. I'm just saying that I cold see the talk starting. I mean as of today I think he is playing better than any other QB so far. I do think the media favorite as of today would be Ryan.

miked1958
09-29-2012, 03:54 PM
I think the season as a whole is more important then missing 2/3 games. Hopefully we can rest him vs philly and Cleveland and get him back for the SF game. But overall I'd like him healthy late in season and for playoffs.. What good Is it if we force the issue and have him play next two weeks and lose him for the yr...

RichardMc
I am not surprised that Nicks will not be playing;. He took a beating his last time out. Carolina showed that we might have some depth at the position. It should be a tough game.

EnragedYouth85
I say Barden, stick with the hot hand...Also Hixon has had an oppurtunity as a starter (2 ACL's ago) and never really shined like Barden did last week...It's Barden's time, now or never

The article already said that Hixon will be playing in place of Nicks.. so it's Hixon..

miked1958
09-29-2012, 03:55 PM
Sit him and let Hixon, barden, RR, JJ, step up and make names for themselves. Also let's not forget the tandem of Cruz and Bennett

EnragedYouth85
09-29-2012, 03:55 PM
My point is that if Eli has a good game while missing his #1 WR for the 2nd game in a row against this defense there will be TALK of MVP. Remember, there will be 12 games left to play. I'm just saying that I cold see the talk starting. I mean as of today I think he is playing better than any other QB so far. I do think the media favorite as of today would be Ryan.

Well it will be hard to get past Tom Brady, he has always been the NFL's love child..

miked1958
09-29-2012, 03:56 PM
Also I think short dump offs to the ABs, Hynoski, Pascoe, Scott will work wonders to move the stickes

miked1958
09-29-2012, 03:58 PM
It's more of the fact Cleveland is an AFC game. They are the "least" important games when it comes to tiebreakers and what not. I'd rather have Nicks around for the important matches like the 49ers (possible home field adv/WC spot) and the Redskins/Cowboys games coming up after that. Would be awfully silly to have Nicks aggravate his injury against the Browns if there is even the slightest chance.Totally agree. No need to rush him and cause further injury.. Need him for SF and beyond

juice33s
09-29-2012, 04:00 PM
The article already said that Hixon will be playing in place of Nicks.. so it's Hixon..
The Giants101 article from Roanoaks thread?...That's a fan blog and is no more credible then what me and you are saying on here.

Buddy333
09-29-2012, 04:02 PM
Yeah but I think the Patriots are in trouble his year. Their OL is bad and even though he is a great QB I think Brady won't have a great year.

ChuckKnoxx
09-29-2012, 04:13 PM
Not worried. Barden is ready. Besides with the way Asomugha has played for the Eagles this season, Tim Carter and Sinorice Moss called, said they feel ready to dominate.

miked1958
09-29-2012, 04:21 PM
Not worried. Barden is ready. Besides with the way Asomugha has played for the Eagles this season, Tim Carter and Sinorice Moss called, said they feel ready to dominate.I feel very confident you will have more material then you know what to do with for your next video after we demolish Philly in there own F---- Back Yard as you so perfectly put it!!!

drewz
09-29-2012, 04:21 PM
The Giants101 article from Roanoaks thread?...That's a fan blog and is no more credible then what me and you are saying on here.

Gilbride said Hixon is still #3 receiver, no naturally, he moves into Nick's spot.

giantsfan420
09-29-2012, 04:26 PM
yeah that article is stating his opinion. i have looked a lot and cannot find a coach saying one way or the other although my hunch is barden w how TC has praised him lately. either way, i trust the dude to ball

giantsfan420
09-29-2012, 04:28 PM
when did Gilbride say it? can u post a link? RF cited KG and either didnt know or missed the date which was Sept 2nd.
Sept 2nd, no doubt Hixon was the 3. He's missed the past two weeks th, and Barden had a breakout game as the 2 vs Carolina.

Just saying, it could honestly be either one at this point.

giantsfan420
09-29-2012, 04:30 PM
if he goes by the same thing he does for the rb's; the hot hand factor, then i'd have to assume it'd be barden as well

RoanokeFan
09-29-2012, 04:32 PM
if he goes by the same thing he does for the rb's; the hot hand factor, then i'd have to assume it'd be barden as well

Which RB is starting? According to Coughlin, it's Bradshaw

giantsfan420
09-29-2012, 04:38 PM
ah good point. for some reason i had my wires crossed. either way i'll be happy. hixon is more of a vertical speed threat, but Barden SHOULD (not proclamating him to do anything) be able to use his body to shield his spot for making the catch. he's done that in the small chances he has gotten like vs NE last year. He can make the catch in traffic. but, so can hixon. its really a win win either way. both will play a lot. we both know "starting" doesn't matter all that much aside from a few more snaps.

just depends. bc u also gotta account for cruz and his stature. hixon is of similar stature to Cruz. Barden presents a different one. guess it will also come down to who they feel better equipped to match up with namdi/drc. its def gonna be a challenge. im hoping both come thru, but if not, at least 1

RoanokeFan
09-29-2012, 04:43 PM
ah good point. for some reason i had my wires crossed. either way i'll be happy. hixon is more of a vertical speed threat, but Barden SHOULD (not proclamating him to do anything) be able to use his body to shield his spot for making the catch. he's done that in the small chances he has gotten like vs NE last year. He can make the catch in traffic. but, so can hixon. its really a win win either way. both will play a lot. we both know "starting" doesn't matter all that much aside from a few more snaps.

just depends. bc u also gotta account for cruz and his stature. hixon is of similar stature to Cruz. Barden presents a different one. guess it will also come down to who they feel better equipped to match up with namdi/drc. its def gonna be a challenge. im hoping both come thru, but if not, at least 1

The air game is percolating almost with anyone they plug in. The "hot hand" aspect comes into play as the game progresses and has nothing to do with who "starts" the game. Bradshaw will start, if he falters, and Brown moves the chains, Brown will get more snaps. Same goes for the receivers.

Toadofsteel
09-29-2012, 04:44 PM
Our 2WR set will have Cruz flanking the strongside and Hixon split left. Our 3 WR will be Barden and Hixon split outside, with Cruz in the slot. Simple enough...

RoanokeFan
09-29-2012, 04:47 PM
Our 2WR set will have Cruz flanking the strongside and Hixon split left. Our 3 WR will be Barden and Hixon split outside, with Cruz in the slot. Simple enough...

Sounds about right and as the game progresses, if there is an obvious "hot hand", he'll get more snaps

ChuckKnoxx
09-29-2012, 04:48 PM
I feel very confident you will have more material then you know what to do with for your next video after we demolish Philly in there own F---- Back Yard as you so perfectly put it!!!

Amen to that brother. All goes to plan. I'll have a video for Vick and the Eagles they will cherish for a lifetime.

RoanokeFan
09-29-2012, 04:50 PM
Amen to that brother. All goes to plan. I'll have a video for Vick and the Eagles they will cherish for a lifetime.

Make sure you share it with the faithful lol

giantsfan420
09-29-2012, 05:06 PM
yeah, i understand what go with the hot hand means obviously.

and it could be from game to game as well, i dont remember seeing a rulebook on it. i was trying to point out that Barden had a strong showing vs Carolina, and that he could want to go that route vs Philly pardon the pun.

no one really knows for sure except TC. Normally I'd agree Hixon would start with Cruz. I just dont know how much stock the coaches are putting into Hixon missing the past two weeks and coming in right off the bat vs a very physical philly defense. thats why i asked. i know, or at least knew prior to the carolina game, that hixon was above barden on the depth chart.
i cannot say i "know that" anymore bc I honestly don't. the depth chart could of very well changed. but if it hasnt, and hixon was the 3 over barden, then how does the missed two weeks factor in? see what I mean, i think u were trying to make this into me slighting ur boy hixon or something, at least i got that vibe from the get go. when all i was trying to do was ask if the coaches had said anything recent

Overdrive92
09-29-2012, 05:41 PM
Gilbride said Hixon is still #3 receiver, no naturally, he moves into Nick's spot.

This.

Hixon is the starter guys. But Barden will still see a good amount of time as the #3 WR.

CowboysSuck
09-29-2012, 05:56 PM

Not true. They post links or cite sources for every single post.

EnragedYouth85
09-29-2012, 06:00 PM
You guys will never win, I already had this argument today... haha

tonyt830
09-29-2012, 06:06 PM
Hate to see Nicks have a setback. But I am not surprised that he isnt playing, when he was listed as doubtful, I kind of had that assumption. I just hope Nicks rebounds in the next couple of weeks so he is ready for the tough stretch of games.

And by no means am I being a hater, I love that we selected Nicks over Britt. But I hope Nicks is not going to become of these players that tends to miss a few games a season on a regular basis. Football is a physical sport, but I hope that next season he can get through OTAs, camp, preseason and the regular season without missing a game due to injury.

Antwuan
09-29-2012, 08:48 PM
That sucks but hopefully our Offense can maintain the similar success that they had against the Panthers going into this game.

Go Giants!!!

Antwuan
09-29-2012, 08:49 PM
Hopefully Hakeem Nicks gets well and plays in Week 5 vs Cleveland Browns.

Buddy333
09-29-2012, 08:54 PM
Actually, if Hixon and Barden are playing well maybe they should consider sitting Nicks for another game. No team should be over looked, but by the time they play the Browns their playoff hopes will be long gone, they might be already, and the Giants should be able to beat that team without Nicks. Especially if like I said, Hixon and Barden are able to play well while they let Nicks get some rest.

TheAnalyst
09-29-2012, 09:03 PM
I don't care if we are 7-0 without Nicks. We are a much better team with him. That said we still have a shot to pull the upset in Philly, but it won't be easy.As for Eli winning an MVP, it will never happen. It's like why Jeter would never win an MVP no matter how valuable he is. Too many people hate. Too many people pay attention to nothing but stats. 2 of Sports most disrespected, or not recognized enough are right in NY.

Cloud57
09-29-2012, 09:04 PM
Actually, if Hixon and Barden are playing well maybe they should consider sitting Nicks for another game. No team should be over looked, but by the time they play the Browns their playoff hopes will be long gone, they might be already, and the Giants should be able to beat that team without Nicks. Especially if like I said, Hixon and Barden are able to play well while they let Nicks get some rest.

yeah but only if we beat the eagles tomorrow, else it will be a must win against the browns and we'll need everyone for that game.

RoanokeFan
09-29-2012, 09:05 PM

I'm curious about what happened to his knee.

Buddy333
09-29-2012, 09:09 PM
Yeah me too. I think I remember seeing that he may have banged it up in the Tampa game.

joeybagadonutz23
09-29-2012, 09:19 PM
Its all good, Giants are 7-0 with out Nicks including last season's big win in NE....It's a good oppurtunity for Barden to build up his confidence and when Nicks comes back we'll be that much deeper and explosive because of it

I agree. I'm looking forward to seeing what Barden can do against a top flight corner. I've been waiting years for this situation so that we can actually see what the Giants have in Ramses Barden.