PDA

View Full Version : The biggest advantage to having Bradshaw back

tuck&rolle
09-30-2012, 01:07 PM
The biggest impact Bradshaw will have in this game is in his pass-blocking ability. The Eagles very rarely blitz Eli, relying on their dangerous front four, very much like what we do. Expect to see Bradshaw in there to block for Eli out of the shotgun early and often.

If he can successfully lend some help in stopping Cole and Babin, Bennett will be able to get down the field for a big day. If not, Bennett will have to stay in to keep Eli on his feet, and our offense will be severely limited.

RoanokeFan
09-30-2012, 01:12 PM
The biggest impact Bradshaw will have in this game is in his pass-blocking ability. The Eagles very rarely blitz Eli, relying on their dangerous front four, very much like what we do. Expect to see Bradshaw in there to block for Eli out of the shotgun early and often.

If he can successfully lend some help in stopping Cole and Babin, Bennett will be able to get down the field for a big day. If not, Bennett will have to stay in to keep Eli on his feet, and our offense will be severely limited.

Don't forget we have Hynoski to help with the blocking if Bennett has to engage and release.

Captain Chaos
09-30-2012, 01:15 PM
I think Bennett's play in this game will be crucial to a giant's win!

giantsfan420
09-30-2012, 01:15 PM
we will need that, plus we'll need our rb's to be weapons in the pass game. philly is gonna drop into coverage and leave lb's on the rb's. at least they did last year (see BJ TD catch).
Thats why I'm hoping Wilson plays more. I know its a risk with the pass protection aspect, but if we can get Wilson into the 2nd level, he'll have a field day

tuck&rolle
09-30-2012, 01:16 PM
Don't forget we have Hynoski to help with the blocking in Bennett has to engage and release.

That's true too. Do you see a lot of 2 receiver sets tonight considering the lack of depth at receiver at the moment and the need to get some good blocking up front?

SackingMyths
09-30-2012, 01:19 PM
Completely agree with this and this is reason #1 why I don't see Bradshaw just being cast aside so easily

RoanokeFan
09-30-2012, 01:20 PM
That's true too. Do you see a lot of 2 receiver sets tonight considering the lack of depth at receiver at the moment and the need to get some good blocking up front?

I think they will start off with 2 WR sets to see how the defense is aligned and how aggressive the Eagles' D Line actually is. As has been said, keeping Eli upright generally determines how much blocking we don't need. Having said that, I think Gilbride does an excellent job designing game plans that focus on Eli being upright. When it breaks down, it's usually, if not always, player execution.

EnragedYouth85
09-30-2012, 01:22 PM
Bradshaw is a great player, he just has this nagging injuries every year. It's one thing or another with his body and I feel he could be so much better if he was actually healthy for a year. I think the Oline is coming together and there will be lanes for him to run. That being said, his blitz pickups are great and I can see bennett downblocking then releasing for a seem pass a lot today!

RoanokeFan
09-30-2012, 01:25 PM
Completely agree with this and this is reason #1 why I don't see Bradshaw just being cast aside so easily

Bradshaw isn't going to be "cast aside." He does, in a sense, have to measure up to Brown's performance last week but we can't discount the fact that Brown was running behind a reconfigured O Line and tonight will give Bradshaw a chance behind the same group. Then there is always the other teams' defense to consider and the Eagles are not the Panthers.

In any event, I don't see Bradshaw's touches being severely restricted unless he's injured

SackingMyths
09-30-2012, 01:39 PM
Bradshaw isn't going to be "cast aside." He does, in a sense, have to measure up to Brown's performance last week but we can't discount the fact that Brown was running behind a reconfigured O Line and tonight will give Bradshaw a chance behind the same group. Then there is always the other teams' defense to consider and the Eagles are not the Panthers.

In any event, I don't see Bradshaw's touches being severely restricted unless he's injured

Sounds good to me. And I'm sure Bradshaw sees what we're all seeing with Brown's effectiveness and hopefully, it'll fuel him to fight that much more to keep his grip on the better side of a timeshare.

As for Brown, I once heard OJ Anderson say during an interview that your job as an RB in this league only gets harder and harder after you've put a good performance on tape for all of the DCs of the league to scheme against. How you deal with the extra respect and adjustments to your running style will determine your success going forward.

In light of that, I'm excited to see how Andre progresses now that he won't be taking anybody by surprise.

RoanokeFan
09-30-2012, 02:30 PM
Sounds good to me. And I'm sure Bradshaw sees what we're all seeing with Brown's effectiveness and hopefully, it'll fuel him to fight that much more to keep his grip on the better side of a timeshare.

As for Brown, I once heard OJ Anderson say during an interview that your job as an RB in this league only gets harder and harder after you've put a good performance on tape for all of the DCs of the league to scheme against. How you deal with the extra respect and adjustments to your running style will determine your success going forward.

In light of that, I'm excited to see how Andre progresses now that he won't be taking anybody by surprise.

I recall seeing holes being opened up last week that just makes me question if we were that good, they were that bad, or some combination of those possibilities. As far as Brown is concerned, the one thing I think was key was his ability to wait for the blocks to develop holes.

fourth&forever
09-30-2012, 02:44 PM
I recall seeing holes being opened up last week that just makes me question if we were that good, they were that bad, or some combination of those possibilities. As far as Brown is concerned, the one thing I think was key was his ability to wait for the blocks to develop holes.
agreed. It looked like a combo to me as well. Our O-line WAS better and Carolina did not play great. Also agree AB2 was VERY patient and the holes DID open.
I think its all on our o-line. Will they make holes tonight? I believe AB1 will run with patience if they do.

RoanokeFan
09-30-2012, 02:46 PM
agreed. It looked like a combo to me as well. Our O-line WAS better and Carolina did not play great. Also agree AB2 was VERY patient and the holes DID open.
I think its all on our o-line. Will they make holes tonight? I believe AB1 will run with patience if they do.

I have to think if the O Line does well tonight, we have the group we need to stay with. I love Diehl, but he is long in the tooth for a lineman.

fourth&forever
09-30-2012, 02:54 PM
I have to think of the O Line does well tonight, we have the group we need to stay with. I love Diehl, but he is long in the tooth for a lineman.
The reshuffle certainly seems a change in the right direction.

BParcells777
09-30-2012, 02:56 PM
I did not recall Brown missing his blocks.......also an "effective" run game stops the pash rush too

Bradshaw just cannot make a 1st down anymore

RoanokeFan
09-30-2012, 02:56 PM
The reshuffle certainly seems a change in the right direction.

Tonight will be a great test

RoanokeFan
09-30-2012, 02:58 PM
I did not recall Brown missing his blocks.......also an "effective" run game stops the pash rush too

He didn't "miss" a block, but he didn't hold one long enough and Eli was sacked.

fourth&forever
09-30-2012, 02:58 PM

You don't want to give him another chance behind the improved o-line?

BParcells777
09-30-2012, 03:06 PM
Let me get this straight

I should be happy about starting a small RB with a bad foot, no run discipline, and a bulging disk in his neck against one of the most fearsome defensive teams in the league..........and benching a guy who's averaging 5.6 yds per carry

OK, I'll buy it........and if his neck fractures what then? Does he have good insurance?

This reminds me of Coughlins decision to give O'hara his job back with a bad leg 2 years ago.......and also against Philadelphia

Philly knocked us out of the playoffs and O'hara retired

Buddy333
09-30-2012, 03:17 PM
Everyone is writing off Bradshaw because Brown had a good game. Bradshaw is a great blocker. They will need him.

fourth&forever
Let me get this straight

I should be happy about starting a small RB with a bad foot, no run discipline, and a bulging disk in his neck against one of the most fearsome defensive teams in the league..........and benching a guy who's averaging 5.6 yds per carry

OK, I'll buy it........and if his neck fractures what then? Does he have good insurance?

This reminds me of Coughlins decision to give O'hara his job back with a bad leg 2 years ago.......and also against Philadelphia

I think Bradshaw's "run discipline" will improve if they block as well as they did for AB2.
I do share your concern for his neck though.

RoanokeFan
Let me get this straight

Brown is NOT BEING BENCHED. He and Bradshaw will share snaps and, according to TC, the "hot hand" will get more snaps.

BParcells777
09-30-2012, 03:37 PM
Well thats a relief but I'll believe it when I see it

The old guy is nothing if not stubborn

BParcells777
09-30-2012, 03:40 PM
I think Bradshaw's "run discipline" will improve if they block as well as they did for AB2.
I do share your concern for his neck though.

Thats not Bradshaws history or style....he hits the hole or no hole with tremendous force straight downhill.......he is not, nor will ever be a patient runner

Watch Tiki or Jim Brown run........they picked their spot and then exploded

Denaliman316
09-30-2012, 04:16 PM
The thing I like is Brown is running hard and when that happens the other backs run hard too. All those years we had Jacobs and he was good softening up the line Bradshaw had his best games. The last two years we rarely had that. Now we do. So I look for Brown to take on the Jacobs role. Even if he's not getting the yards he's running north south and softening up that line. Then boom you hit them late with Bradshaw.

RoanokeFan
09-30-2012, 04:26 PM
Well thats a relief but I'll believe it when I see it

The old guy is nothing if not stubborn

The old guy hasn't had a losing season here and has taken us to two Super Bowls. I'm guessing you didn't see the documentary "A Football Life" is you continue to call him stubborn.

RoanokeFan
09-30-2012, 04:26 PM
The thing I like is Brown is running hard and when that happens the other backs run hard too. All those years we had Jacobs and he was good softening up the line Bradshaw had his best games. The last two years we rarely had that. Now we do. So I look for Brown to take on the Jacobs role. Even if he's not getting the yards he's running north south and softening up that line. Then boom you hit them late with Bradshaw.

I've said this before but I think his patience waiting for holes to develop has been remarkable.