PDA

View Full Version : 4th and short and I see Eli throw down the field...

SuperNYGiants
10-01-2012, 01:28 AM
I thought I was on drugs. (I'm not)

I burst out laughing, out of utter extreme sense of unrealism.

Is Gilbride doing drugs?

Very possible.

Harooni
10-01-2012, 01:32 AM
are you talking about the play they lined up in shotgun. i was thinking how the eagles didnt know we would go to cruz there. i was SMH at gilbride but it worked.

dave56dj
10-01-2012, 01:57 AM
yeah god it was so awful - especially when the plays worked - so awful - dammmn that gilbride and his top 5 offense - just awful.

Toadofsteel
10-01-2012, 02:00 AM
I wouldn't call it awful, just boneheaded. When it works, we're all scratching our heads as to just how it worked, but most of the time you just look like a bumbling fool...

Harooni
10-01-2012, 02:14 AM
I wouldn't call it awful, just boneheaded. When it works, we're all scratching our heads as to just how it worked, but most of the time you just look like a bumbling fool... the problem is when it works, now he is thinking he can do this kind of thing all the time, because it worked that one time. lol

geonyg
10-01-2012, 07:19 AM
Same as it ever was.
When the players execute, the coaches are genius. When they don't, people here say the coaching is terrible.

zeph1
10-01-2012, 07:58 AM
Cause we look so good running it in short yardage situations.

Moke
10-01-2012, 08:14 AM
It actually fooled you too? Fooled the eagles. I think it was brilliant to be honest. Who would have thought?

Maybe the Eagles thought Gilbride was going to go HB draw, but they forgot that we didn't have DJ Ware anymore.

miked1958
10-01-2012, 08:16 AM
i think it was fine. we needed something. eagles never expected it. other then the bothed snap it worked perfect. they were expecting us to just try and draw them offsides and let clock run out. what was worse was coming out of the break to start 4th quarter on 1st and goal and throw that INT

elismom
10-01-2012, 08:18 AM

Is Gilbride doing drugs?

Very possible.

Whenyou have a gunslinger this is what happens.

It kept us in the game and then it lost us the game. The Barden throw was as bad as the cruz catch

RoanokeFan
10-01-2012, 08:20 AM

Is Gilbride doing drugs?

Very possible.

We are so fickle. Gilbride is SO PREDICTABLE, why doesn't he......Well, he did, and we didn't execute.

gumby74
10-01-2012, 08:29 AM
Whenyou have a gunslinger this is what happens.

It kept us in the game and then it lost us the game. The Barden throw was as bad as the cruz catch

I'm guessing you're talking about the Cruz catch vs Tampa - when we went deep on 3rd and short.

Yes, and both were absolutely terrible calls - regardless of outcome

elismom
10-01-2012, 08:32 AM
We had some questionables ou thter yesterday and it falls on TC and Eli. End of the story.
If your going to get all the shine then you gotta get the egg on the face too.

Eli has to be smarter then that on that drive. We needed a win
2 div losses puts us in a terrible spot

miked1958
10-01-2012, 08:45 AM
he was a bit off on alot of his throws yesterday. balls falling short or way long over peoples heads. and the INT coming out of the break at start of 4th i think really lost us the game. we get even a FG there and it forces Philly to go for it on 4th down at the 1:54 mark because we would have had a 4pt lead rather then a 1pt lead. so the game could of ended right there on phillys 4th down try.

however... with eli getting the ball at like 1:52 and only needing a FG to win with his tract record of 4th quarter comebacks and final minute drives i thought there was no way we would lose that game. Yet , we start out with a slip by cruz on the wet field..(almost like the Seattle loss) then a bad snap on 2nd down and then we need to favorable PI calls (1 warranted the other iffy) just to keep the drive going... It wasnt vintage eli. and that throw to barden was a bad one.. namadi picks it if barden doenst molest him

gumby74
10-01-2012, 08:54 AM
he was a bit off on alot of his throws yesterday. balls falling short or way long over peoples heads. and the INT coming out of the break at start of 4th i think really lost us the game. we get even a FG there and it forces Philly to go for it on 4th down at the 1:54 mark because we would have had a 4pt lead rather then a 1pt lead. so the game could of ended right there on phillys 4th down try.

however... with eli getting the ball at like 1:52 and only needing a FG to win with his tract record of 4th quarter comebacks and final minute drives i thought there was no way we would lose that game. Yet , we start out with a slip by cruz on the wet field..(almost like the Seattle loss) then a bad snap on 2nd down and then we need to favorable PI calls (1 warranted the other iffy) just to keep the drive going... It wasnt vintage eli. and that throw to barden was a bad one.. namadi picks it if barden doenst molest him

I'm cool with the INT. Stuff happens in the heat of the moment. But the last Barden pass never should have happened. He/Coaching staff had an entire down to think through what should be done.

miked1958
10-01-2012, 08:58 AM
I'm cool with the INT. Stuff happens in the heat of the moment. But the last Barden pass never should have happened. He/Coaching staff had an entire down to think through what should be done.Yep. and TC and staff KNOW they are already in Tynes wheelhouse with a 44 yarder at that point. why not just run it again up middle between the has marks and get 2 or 3 more yards and just let him kick up to a win. I dont know what the thinking there was throwing to an inexperienced WR against a Top notch corner. maybe they thought theyd catch philly sleeping again. i dont know. but it lost us the game

gumby74
10-01-2012, 09:01 AM
Yep. and TC and staff KNOW they are already in Tynes wheelhouse with a 44 yarder at that point. why not just run it again up middle between the has marks and get 2 or 3 more yards and just let him kick up to a win. I dont know what the thinking there was throwing to an inexperienced WR against a Top notch corner. maybe they thought theyd catch philly sleeping again. i dont know. but it lost us the game

It was a bad play call this time and it was a bad play call on the hotly debated 3rd and short Cruz play in Tampa also. The only difference is the outcome. This 3rd and short = go deep mentality has got to go. Had we try to run the ball and it got stripped, i doubt anyone would be this mad.

Roosevelt
10-01-2012, 09:09 AM
It was a bad play call this time and it was a bad play call on the hotly debated 3rd and short Cruz play in Tampa also. The only difference is the outcome. This 3rd and short = go deep mentality has got to go. Had we try to run the ball and it got stripped, i doubt anyone would be this mad.

Exactly. And that of course was my point on that "3rd and 2" thread after the Bucs game. The fact is last night we didn't need to take that shot deep. We only needed to make a field goal to win.

BJacobs aka The Problem
10-01-2012, 09:17 AM
Cause we look so good running it in short yardage situations.

Quoting for the truth it is. I thought it was a brilliant play. It caught the Eagles with their pants around their ankles and was a close tackle from behind away from being a touchdown.

Manning
10-01-2012, 09:17 AM
We do it ALL the time. Its been this way for the past 3-4 seasons. We've pretty successful at it.

Roosevelt
10-01-2012, 09:26 AM
We do it ALL the time. Its been this way for the past 3-4 seasons. We've pretty successful at it.

We're pretty successful because the defense is playing the percentages and doesn't expect us to take chances, but often we do. But it's fair to question why we do when we don't need to. Case in point is last night. Had we played it safe at the end we had a good chance of winning that game.

miked1958
10-01-2012, 09:27 AM
Quoting for the truth it is. I thought it was a brilliant play. It caught the Eagles with their pants around their ankles and was a close tackle from behind away from being a touchdown.I said the same thing. we caught them so offguard it was a TD saving tackle by a shoesting. i liked the call. To many times we complain that the giants are to predictable, always going by the book. A. they thought we would try and draw them off and if not let the 3rd quarter run out. B. if we did run a play it would be by the percentages and run it in the middle like we always do. like we did earlier when eagle had like 8 or 9 guys in the box and stuffed AB. they never expected that of the giants. when eli stepped back in the Shotgun i could see some of their faces like oh crap.....

i think that was the thinking on the barden pass at the end. i think they were figuring we would go with the short pass play or run and never go deep. so yea i think they were trying to catch them off guard for a quick strike to end the game. but namadi didnt fall for it and actually was the Recieiver on that play and bardern the defender. which is why he had to molest him to save the game or we dont even get to try a game winning fg

CDN_G-FAN
10-01-2012, 09:29 AM
our we talking about the same offense?

has this offense showed anything that makes us think its a good short yardage offense?

i saw us get stuffed on 3rd and 1.

he calls a run play up the gut, and he's considered unimaginative and predictable.

he plays 4th and 1 from the shotgun, picks up the 1st down, and he's crazy.

guess this guy isn't allowed to win.

Diamondring
10-01-2012, 09:33 AM
I have no problems with that deep play but only that int in the endzone.

repeatchamps
10-01-2012, 09:35 AM
our we talking about the same offense?

has this offense showed anything that makes us think its a good short yardage offense?

i saw us get stuffed on 3rd and 1.

he calls a run play up the gut, and he's considered unimaginative and predictable.

he plays 4th and 1 from the shotgun, picks up the 1st down, and he's crazy.

guess this guy isn't allowed to win.

I liked it but I have one beef with it, why line up in shotgun? Line up behind center and play action fake or just run the exact same play they did from shotgun but do it while behind center.

repeatchamps
10-01-2012, 09:37 AM
I have no problems with that deep play but only that int in the endzone.

Yup. They were finally running the ball well on that drive actually. 1st down from the 10, run the ball! They had a similar situation before the Pascoe TD and that time they ran it on 1st down from about the same spot got 4 yards and then Eli found Pascoe wide open on 2nd down for an easy TD.

CDN_G-FAN
10-01-2012, 09:46 AM
I liked it but I have one beef with it, why line up in shotgun? Line up behind center and play action fake or just run the exact same play they did from shotgun but do it while behind center.

you line up in the shotgun because their defensive line was playing 10x better than our offensive line and it give eli much better vision to make a quick throw.

our oline was MAN HANDLED by their defense yesterday. All this talk about keeping Brown in instead of Bradshaw can be thrown in the trash. that's still the same shaky line we saw in the first 2 games.

repeatchamps
10-01-2012, 09:49 AM
you line up in the shotgun because their defensive line was playing 10x better than our offensive line and it give eli much better vision to make a quick throw.

our oline was MAN HANDLED by their defense yesterday. All this talk about keeping Brown in instead of Bradshaw can be thrown in the trash. that's still the same shaky line we saw in the first 2 games.

I guess. Regardless, the O-line is fortunate they don't play Philly each week but the schedule has plenty of tough defenses on it so they better shape up fast.

Eli2Shockey4aTD
10-01-2012, 09:57 AM
I am not sure if I am in the minority here, but that play was genius in my opinion. The Eagles had no idea what was going on. Could be a run or just a hard count, no they would not go for it witht he clock winding down right? Then they hiked it and I got a shot fo adrenaline, finally some balls letting Eli get the chance for the first down.

Sure it was kind of a poor idea at the end to go for the endzone, but I would rather the team have balls then be timid.

CDN_G-FAN
10-01-2012, 10:03 AM
I am not sure if I am in the minority here, but that play was genius in my opinion. The Eagles had no idea what was going on. Could be a run or just a hard count, no they would not go for it witht he clock winding down right? Then they hiked it and I got a shot fo adrenaline, finally some balls letting Eli get the chance for the first down.

Sure it was kind of a poor idea at the end to go for the endzone, but I would rather the team have balls then be timid.

you shouldn't be in the minority.

some guys just have to hate gilbride and his playcalls.

if they don't hate him for being predictable, they hate him for being unpredictable, EVEN WHEN IT WORKS.

it really is amazing if you think about it.

Eli2Shockey4aTD
10-01-2012, 10:07 AM
you shouldn't be in the minority.

some guys just have to hate gilbride and his playcalls.

if they don't hate him for being predictable, they hate him for being unpredictable, EVEN WHEN IT WORKS.

it really is amazing if you think about it.

Very True

SuperNYGiants
10-01-2012, 11:06 AM
For those who are confused, I'm referring to the last drive, not the 10 yard slant pass to Cruz, that's hardly a crazy play while a downfield bomb to Barden was, especially when it was unnecessary given the situation.