PDA

View Full Version : Coughlin says no time to run another play and clock the ball

Harooni
10-01-2012, 05:04 AM
says throwing to Burden was a "safe call" in his presser after the game

http://youtu.be/1-Bx9ZIWcc4?t=3m17s

Captain Chaos
10-01-2012, 06:48 AM
I was surprised they didn't try something into the endzone or a 5 -10 yd out route. Get some yards and make that field goal a bit more makable!

RoanokeFan
10-01-2012, 07:03 AM
I was surprised they didn't try something into the endzone or a 5 -10 yd out route. Get some yards and make that field goal a bit more makable!

And if they intercept?

GMENAGAIN
10-01-2012, 07:26 AM

And???

He's absolutely right.

Moke
10-01-2012, 09:17 AM
And if they intercept?

To be honest, I could see that happening, but to have Tynes hit a 54yd FG?

Save him the dignity. Thought he was going to make it, good try, but I believe that that kick was the most perfect for Tynes - 54yd FG that goes short. He'll never make those without help(e.g.-wind on his side)

elismom
10-01-2012, 09:23 AM

This is the team we have today. THROW THROW THROW. We love it when we win games we hate it when it loses games.
It was a bad play by eli IMO. It was also a maekup call. Had they not called the terrible pass into's early onthe drive they would have never called that.
They make a makeup call

NYG4246
10-01-2012, 09:35 AM
Not sure it's been brought up but I actualy give Reid credit for trusting his D and letting the clock run when we were on the 25. I thought for sure he would call those last 2 timeouts to save a little time for vick but knowing we had no timeouts it was a good call.

TheAnalyst
10-01-2012, 09:38 AM
You were comfortable with Tynes kicking a 54 yarder? Wouldn that of been a career long for him? I thought it was a horrible decision, and it was. Teams do this ALL THE TIME. They use the downs they have to get closer. Out route. At least try it. If it doenst work, then its incomplete, thats it. Make sure there is no possible way to catch it and go down in bounds. I would of felt better if we did that. At least tried to get closer.

Toadofsteel
10-01-2012, 09:50 AM
You were comfortable with Tynes kicking a 54 yarder? Wouldn that of been a career long for him? I thought it was a horrible decision, and it was. Teams do this ALL THE TIME. They use the downs they have to get closer. Out route. At least try it. If it doenst work, then its incomplete, thats it. Make sure there is no possible way to catch it and go down in bounds. I would of felt better if we did that. At least tried to get closer.

This. And if they cover it up, you've got 4 receivers runnign down th sidelines, just throw it away...

gumby74
10-01-2012, 10:18 AM
And if they intercept? The chances of things going wrong in a 5-10 yard route are much lower than a 30 yard one. I don't understand how anyone cal say a 30 yard pass play is "safe".

Manning
10-01-2012, 10:21 AM
My problem with the entire sequence was the team apparently had no idea what they wanted to do. 1st down we run a draw and basically run 40 seconds off the clock. If you are fine with the 44 yard field goal, then continue to do that. 2nd down throw to Barden - OPI. Team didn't know what they wanted to do, and thats makes me ill..

I will say I could have loved to make the FG sub 40 yards, because even 40-50 makes nervous me with Tynes.

Regardless, the pick at the beginning of the 4th was the play that killed us more than anything. It was absolutely terrible.

GIANTSACK
10-01-2012, 10:34 AM
Atlanta ran two plays before attempting fg with zero time out. Same situation . We gave Philly defense too much respect

GIANTSED101
10-01-2012, 10:45 AM
We had Philly in a choke hold and we let them out with stupid play calling and mistakes. The reason why Eli''s been so consistent in the 4th is mainly because the play calling is flawless and there's no mental mistakes. Last night there were only a couple but those few cost us the game.

Buddy333
10-01-2012, 10:49 AM
Throwing to Barden was not a bad call. Eli said he should have made a better throw. If he catches it they are in better shape. If he doesn't ptyen they still have a shot at the 44 yard field goal. If Barden doesn't do what he did the game was over.

GameTime
10-01-2012, 10:50 AM
one play to the sidelines for 5 oto 7 yards....
time for that and that was a poor call on his part IMO....

CDN_G-FAN
10-01-2012, 10:53 AM
this is all arm chair hindsight stuff.

there was no obvious call in that situation. its easy to say pick up a another 7 yards to make the kick easier, a bunch of nobodies like us are all suggesting that's the best thing to do, so what do you think the defense is guarding against.

he has a 6' 6" receiver who just came off a huge game in single coverage with a step. it wasn't a great throw.

but to suggest there was a 7-yard-stop-the-clock option that we just didn't take is a little silly.

Buddy333
10-01-2012, 10:55 AM
I like TC and all but I have to disagree. There was plenty of time for one play to the sideline.

GameTime
10-01-2012, 10:55 AM
this is all arm chair hindsight stuff.

there was no obvious call in that situation. its easy to say pick up a another 7 yards to make the kick easier, a bunch of nobodies like us are all suggesting that's the best thing to do, so what do you think the defense is guarding against.

he has a 6' 6" receiver who just came off a huge game in single coverage with a step. it wasn't a great throw.

but to suggest there was a 7-yard-stop-the-clock option that we just didn't take is a little silly.
not really hindsight....I was yelling at the TV before at the time. Of course they will defend against that. doesnt mean you cant get it done.
He shoudl have tried.....not much to lose at that point. It s abang bang play. If its there its there if its not throw it away....

CDN_G-FAN
10-01-2012, 11:00 AM
not really hindsight....I was yelling at the TV before at the time. Of course they will defend against that. doesnt mean you cant get it done.
He shoudl have tried.....not much to lose at that point. It s abang bang play. If its there its there if its not throw it away....

i'm sure it wasn't there, and instead of throwing it away he took a shot downfield.

i don't see how that's a stupid play.

nycsportzfan
10-01-2012, 11:19 AM
How can anyone sit here and tell me that letting Tynes go for a 54yrd FG when u had 15secs on the clock the best idea???lol Seriusly, Tynes is a dreaful kicker from long and u would completely be fooling yourself to think he had any chace at that.. If u know ur personel, then u obviously know its not a decison, but a obvious move to go for the endzone one more time , if u can't find someone who can make a catch and get outta bounds.. Obviously its not that hard to chuck it outta the endzone if theres nothing open.. How can u throw a pick if u gun it to the back of the endzone and high enough where no one can catch it?

It should of never came to that, because it was completely clueless to throw a deep pass against Nhamdi who had great coverege the entire play when ur sitting right there in FG range all ready.. It was idiotic play at the end of the game.. Ur a complete Homer if u can't admit that... Sure, the giants are fun to watch and were SB winners, but ur blind and/or crazy if u think letting Tynes kick a 54yrd FG with 15sec's to go was the right play... The guy almost shanks chip shots all the time...

GameTime
10-01-2012, 11:23 AM
i'm sure it wasn't there, and instead of throwing it away he took a shot downfield.

i don't see how that's a stupid play.
the shot down field was fine. I wasnt talking about that. They had 15 seconds left on 3rd down. They could have done a sideline pass to get another 5 to 7 yards. It was worth a shot.

BTW.... I never said any play was stupid....

nycsportzfan
10-01-2012, 11:24 AM

i don't see how that's a stupid play. Did u see the coverege Nhamdi had? Why try something like that when ur sitting there in prime game winning FG range? Its not like ur throwing it on a undrafted rookie FA.. Ur throwing it on one of the best CB's in the NFL who had coverege the entire play.. I have no problem if ur gonna bomb it to the back pylon or something, and give just barden a shot, or its outta bounds, but to try to finesse it up to barden where we were on the field was completely unresponisble on ELI's part.. Another words, it was stupid.. A total brain cramp...

GameTime
How can anyone sit here and tell me that letting Tynes go for a 54yrd FG when u had 15secs on the clock the best idea???lol Seriusly, Tynes is a dreaful kicker from long and u would completely be fooling yourself to think he had any chace at that.. If u know ur personel, then u obviously know its not a decison, but a obvious move to go for the endzone one more time , if u can't find someone who can make a catch and get outta bounds.. Obviously its not that hard to chuck it outta the endzone if theres nothing open.. How can u throw a pick if u gun it to the back of the endzone and high enough where no one can catch it?

It should of never came to that, because it was completely clueless to throw a deep pass against Nhamdi who had great coverege the entire play when ur sitting right there in FG range all ready.. It was idiotic play at the end of the game.. Ur a complete Homer if u can't admit that... Sure, the giants are fun to watch and were SB winners, but ur blind and/or crazy if u think letting Tynes kick a 54yrd FG with 15sec's to go was the right play... The guy almost shanks chip shots all the time...
Tynes has been very very good. Go back to 2009 with your bashing of him.

RoanokeFan
To be honest, I could see that happening, but to have Tynes hit a 54yd FG?

Save him the dignity. Thought he was going to make it, good try, but I believe that that kick was the most perfect for Tynes - 54yd FG that goes short. He'll never make those without help(e.g.-wind on his side)

We couldn't punt :D It didn't miss by much though

GameTime
10-01-2012, 11:25 AM
We couldn't punt :D It didn't miss by much though
the first one had plenty of leg he pushed to the left though.

CDN_G-FAN
10-01-2012, 11:28 AM
Did u see the coverege Nhamdi had? Why try something like that when ur sitting there in prime game winning FG range? Its not like ur throwing it on a undrafted rookie FA.. Ur throwing it on one of the best CB's in the NFL who had coverege the entire play.. I have no problem if ur gonna bomb it to the back pylon or something, and give just barden a shot, or its outta bounds, but to try to finesse it up to barden where we were on the field was completely unresponisble on ELI's part.. Another words, it was stupid.. A total brain cramp...

we had single coverage with a 6' 6" receiver coming off of a great game.

The problem wasn't the situation, the problem was the throw, it was underthrown and inside, if its long and outside we're not having this conversation.

TheEnigma
10-01-2012, 11:29 AM
Tynes has been very very good. Go back to 2009 with your bashing of him.

I think what he is trying to get at is the fact Tynes isn't known for being a long range booter like Stephen Janikowski or David Akers. The amount of time left on the clock versus the range of the FG and the type of kicker Tynes is known for being (clutch in the short to intermediate) would of had me attempt one more play to move the ball some extra yards.

RoanokeFan
10-01-2012, 11:29 AM
one play to the sidelines for 5 oto 7 yards....
time for that and that was a poor call on his part IMO....

But what if the receiver can't get out of bounds? The game clock keeps ticking away

RoanokeFan
10-01-2012, 11:30 AM
the first one had plenty of leg he pushed to the left though.

Tynes said he hit the wrong spot on the ball once he corrected the trajectory. I guess it's more science than I thought lol

GameTime
10-01-2012, 11:30 AM
I think what he is trying to get at is the fact Tynes isn't known for being a long range booter like Stephen Janikowski or David Akers. The amount of time left on the clock versus the range of the FG and the type of kicker Tynes is known for being (clutch in the short to intermediate) would of had me attempt one more play to move the ball some extra yards.
I wasnt debating that and I agree. But he was bashing Tynes about shanking chip shots, etc.

GameTime
10-01-2012, 11:31 AM
But what if the receiver can't get out of bounds? The game clock keeps ticking away
I get that.....but you have sideline passes Ro. They do it all the time. You catch at the sidelines or you throw it away. Of course the D would eb playing for that but you have to try. Nothing to lose.

CDN_G-FAN
10-01-2012, 11:34 AM
the shot down field was fine. I wasnt talking about that. They had 15 seconds left on 3rd down. They could have done a sideline pass to get another 5 to 7 yards. It was worth a shot.

BTW.... I never said any play was stupid....

fair enough.

what i'm saying is, what if we get a holding call on another pass, or a sack, or an intentional grounding?

I would have probably tried to squeeze in one more play, but i'm saying there's no obvious decision in that situation.

TheEnigma
10-01-2012, 11:35 AM
I get that.....but you have sideline passes Ro. They do it all the time. You catch at the sidelines or you throw it away. Of course the D would eb playing for that but you have to try. Nothing to lose.

The way I see it is this: Do you trust Tynes to hit a FG from 54 yards out (out of his comfort zone) or give Eli one more shot to attempt a sideline pass which we all know that he is very good at doing (Superbowl). Obviously, I was never a fan of Eli going to Barden on the one play despite his success because we were already in appropriate range and it was just an unnecessary risk but that's what we had to work with at that point.

CruzSoldier
10-01-2012, 11:36 AM
Great point.............. or even run the ball and make Reid use his timeouts i'd take my chances with Tynes and at worse a 42 yard field goal and give them the ball back with 30 seconds and no time outs knowing that they can ONLY pass.......

GameTime
10-01-2012, 11:40 AM
The way I see it is this: Do you trust Tynes to hit a FG from 54 yards out (out of his comfort zone) or give Eli one more shot to attempt a sideline pass which we all know that he is very good at doing (Superbowl). Obviously, I was never a fan of Eli going to Barden on the one play despite his success because we were already in appropriate range and it was just an unnecessary risk but that's what we had to work with at that point.
No I dont think he has the leg. The play to Barden is not what I have issue with the. After that it was 3 and whatever. Do a sideline pass for even 5 yards to try and give him less distance. 15 seconds was enough time to do that or you throw it away. No harm no foul. But not to try.....????

GameTime
10-01-2012, 11:41 AM
fair enough.

what i'm saying is, what if we get a holding call on another pass, or a sack, or an intentional grounding?

I would have probably tried to squeeze in one more play, but i'm saying there's no obvious decision in that situation.
I trust Eli to get that play done or get it out of bounds......

CruzSoldier
10-01-2012, 11:41 AM
+1 yes if we know this what was Gilbride thinking we had them and let them off the hook...............Coach Coughlin said I wanna look at the tape to see if there were any "other" options other than that Deep pass to barden because it was not the first option according to what was "called".

CDN_G-FAN
10-01-2012, 11:44 AM
I trust Eli to get that play done or get it out of bounds......

botched snap. forgot the botched snap.

i trust eli too, but holding calls and bad snaps or a blindside hit he can't control.

Diamondring
10-01-2012, 11:46 AM
A pass to the outside would have been a safe call.

GameTime
10-01-2012, 11:46 AM
botched snap. forgot the botched snap.

i trust eli too, but holding calls and bad snaps or a blindside hit he can't control.
I saw the botched snap.......thats the exception and not the rule. Thats is not why TC didnt try one more play. I dont really why he didnt try. I guess he thought the gamble was worth the risk of all that can go wrong. Any little mistake and the Giants are further back.

RoanokeFan
10-01-2012, 11:50 AM

It was a gamble and I am betting TC has stats on the percentage of that play

idiotekniQues
10-01-2012, 11:58 AM
good game, we are 2-2 and have a solid team. the sky is not falling.

however i did also think the playcalling at the end was suspect. should have gone for less yards, gone for the shorter field goal.

AGiantDynasty
10-01-2012, 12:45 PM
Its about percentages.

A 5-7 yd play has a much higher rate of success then a 30+ yd throw down the field. Sure it wasnt a perfect throw, but thats the risk you take (unnecessarily) when you decide to throw down field instead of moving closer for a FG attempt.

We have no running game and need to do a better job of supplementing that with a short passing game. Not more of this down field pass happy none-sense. I have no problem with a pass play.. I have a problem with a low percentage, down field pass that simply is not reliable enough to wager a division game against.

It's a joke to call it "safe".

nyc-007
10-01-2012, 12:48 PM
I don't know if he (T.C.) had the percentage, but we all can say that there would have been a better probability of winning the game if we (they) would have ran the ball to pick the small yards and put Tynes in a better position to win the game. The play calling at the end really was suspect. The defense should also be ashamed on how they played. I could take a lost, but not a lost like this one

thegreatone
10-01-2012, 01:12 PM
And if they intercept?It's the same outcome, a loss

BeatYale
10-01-2012, 01:18 PM
The chances of things going wrong in a 5-10 yard route are much lower than a 30 yard one. I don't understand how anyone cal say a 30 yard pass play is "safe".

You know very well it depends on what the defense gives you. If defenders are squatting on short routes, it's not as simple as you make it sound. In that situation there could be multiple defenders watching the QB waiting to make a play on a pass. 1 vs 1 along the sideline was a safe decision, but it was a poor throw in a spot where Barden had no chance to make a play on the ball.

B-Red22
10-01-2012, 01:27 PM
And if they intercept?

then we lose just like what happened, we needed 5 more yards for Tynes to make that field goal

MikeyMike01
10-01-2012, 01:28 PM
Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining Tom.

nycsportzfan
10-01-2012, 07:16 PM
we had single coverage with a 6' 6" receiver coming off of a great game.

The problem wasn't the situation, the problem was the throw, it was underthrown and inside, if its long and outside we're not having this conversation.exactly my point.. I have much less a issue if ELI heaves it toward the back pylon where barden could either go up and catch it or it was outta bounds.. Maybe u even get a Pass Interference on Nhamadi.. The problem i had is he tried finessing it in there and underthrew the cr-ap outta it.. Even after that, u gotta know that Tynes isn't hitting a 54yrder.. Hes not even that good.. He makes basic kicks, and only basic kicks.. As far as a FG kicker that makes avg kicks, hes ok.. But as far as a FG kicker who can win u a game with kicks that are fairly long, Tynes is not ur guy at all.. All his game winning kicks, are kicks that any Avg kicker should make.. We need to get a Phil Dawson, Janikowski, Scobee, Succopp type kicker.. Someone who can make FG's from 50yrs plus...

Manning
10-01-2012, 07:36 PM
You guys are all acting like a 45 yard fg is a sure thing. It isn't. On the last set of downs, there was :52 seconds left. All of you are suggesting they just sit at their current spot and run the clock down?!?!? Imagine then Tynes comes out and missed the 45 yard field goal. You then are all screaming that the Giants had plenty of time to make the FG much easier for Tynes. The Giants were correct in trying to gain more yardage with the time they had left on the clock. (Complain about the 1st down draw then letting the clock wind down if anything).

Eli made a good decision by picking the 1 on 1 match up, but made a bad decision on the location, or a bad throw. Everyone for the past year has been saying Nnamdi is SOOOO overrated, but now one day later you are saying Eli is an idiot for throwing it at the best corner in the league. You can't have it both ways. That throw by Eli is based on that it was 1 on 1 and Eli trusts his receiver to beat his man. Thats a throw he makes all the time.

Harooni
10-02-2012, 05:26 AM
This is the team we have today. THROW THROW THROW. We love it when we win games we hate it when it loses games.
It was a bad play by eli IMO. It was also a maekup call. Had they not called the terrible pass into's early onthe drive they would have never called that.
They make a makeup call

wow i agree with elismom, rare

plenty of blame to go around, i think it was a bad call not to run up the gut on 2nd down after the PI we got. and I also thought Eli throwing to burden was a mistake in judgement. plenty of other giants needed to step up as well. so I wouldnt rest this squarely on one coach or player. I don't like all; the finger pointing going on in the mb right now.