PDA

View Full Version : Bennet underutilized

GIANTSED101
10-01-2012, 12:40 PM
I'm not sure why but it seemed like the game play didn't include Bennet. I only remember him being thrown to about 1-2 times. He's played great the last couple of games. It's like they just locked in the receivers and were looking for the big plays all night rather tan trying to take advantage on Bennet mismatch.

burier
10-01-2012, 12:41 PM
I'm not sure why but it seemed like the game play didn't include Bennet. I only remember him being thrown to about 1-2 times. He's played great the last couple of games. It's like they just locked in the receivers and were looking for the big plays all night rather tan trying to take advantage on Bennet mismatch.

Its not that our gameplan didn't include benett is that the eagles gameplan included shutting him down. Wasn't open at all.

manning to shockey
10-01-2012, 12:43 PM
from what i saw i think the o-line needed help and he was primarily blocking but i could be wrong i didnt focus on him that much.

Moke
10-01-2012, 12:44 PM
Eli hit Bennett as much as he could in the last 2 games. Don't you think he was trying to be utilized, passing-wise, as much as he could against the Eagles.

1) Wasn't open
2) Utilized as a blocker.

TrueBlue@NYC
10-01-2012, 12:44 PM
Its not that our gameplan didn't include benett is that the eagles gameplan included shutting him down. Wasn't open at all.

Eagles bracketed Bennet over/under all game long and doubled Cruz most of the game. They're gameplan was to force Eli to throw at Hixon and Barden who were matched up against DRC and NA respectively. It worked as Eli was uncomfortable most of the game and they limited the offense to 17 points.

GIANTSED101
10-01-2012, 12:48 PM
I noticed he was being utilzed as a blocker in some situations but not the whole game. It just seems like they might have put to much faith in the wideouts getting open.

Toadofsteel
10-01-2012, 12:57 PM
Bennett was in to block most of the game, at least what I saw...

thomsoad
10-01-2012, 12:58 PM
Eli hit Bennett as much as he could in the last 2 games. Don't you think he was trying to be utilized, passing-wise, as much as he could against the Eagles.

1) Wasn't open
2) Utilized as a blocker.

Agreed.
Bennett was brought here primarily for his skills as a blocker. Our Oline is frankly severly outmatched by Eagles Dline. Bennett had to be used more as a blocker against them. Also Eagles LB's are much faster then the LBs of the Panthers and Bucs.
I dont know what your FF tells you but Eagles are #2 against TEs and held Pitta to almost nothing.

Who we really missed was Nicks ... not Bennett

RoanokeFan
10-01-2012, 12:58 PM
I noticed he was being utilzed as a blocker in some situations but not the whole game. It just seems like they might have put to much faith in the wideouts getting open.

Two Wide outs had over 100 yards each

Toadofsteel
10-01-2012, 01:00 PM

And one of those wideouts had back-to-back ACLs too...

RoanokeFan
10-01-2012, 01:01 PM

In this organization, a tight end is a lineman first and foremost. That's why he was signed and he was a good acquisition for us. His skill sets in the passing game are a huge plus for us.

RoanokeFan
10-01-2012, 01:01 PM
And one of those wideouts had back-to-back ACLs too...

I still wince when he hits the turf

GIANTSED101
10-01-2012, 01:06 PM
In this organization, a tight end is a lineman first and foremost. That's why he was signed and he was a good acquisition for us. His skill sets in the passing game are a huge plus for us.

I understand that I just don't understand why they didn't have him chipping and then running out like the Eagles were. They kepy him in so much that it too away an extra weapon for Eli.

Toadofsteel
10-01-2012, 01:07 PM
I understand that I just don't understand why they didn't have him chipping and then running out like the Eagles were. They kepy him in so much that it too away an extra weapon for Eli.

I'd rather have what we saw from Bennett last night than Eli being carted off because of our crap o-line... a chip block can be overcome by second effort.

GIANTSED101
10-01-2012, 01:08 PM

Even though Hixon and Cruz had great games a numer 3 didn't really emerge for us.

thomsoad
10-01-2012, 01:11 PM
Even though Hixon and Cruz had great games a numer 3 didn't really emerge for us.
You do realize that when Nicks comes back Hixon would then be the #3 right? Or Barden? Or we played a Top 3 Pass Defense without our best WR? I think we are ok for a #3 in the long term.

RoanokeFan
10-01-2012, 01:14 PM

Keeping Eli upright is his primary assignment

RoanokeFan
10-01-2012, 01:15 PM

Hixon is the # 3

GIANTSED101
10-01-2012, 01:15 PM
You do realize that when Nicks comes back Hixon would then be the #3 right? Or Barden? Or we played a Top 3 Pass Defense without our best WR? I think we are ok for a #3 in the long term.

All I was saying was there was no other receiver that stepped up last night other than Cruz and Hixon. Randle didn't do anything and Barden had a couple of catches but nothing really significant. I'm sorry but there pass defense really isn't that impresive, Cruz and Hixon were working them, if another receiver steps up it's game over.

B-Red22
10-01-2012, 01:16 PM
not even going to read the post the title says it all, HE WAS ASKED TO BLOCK ALL GAME!! Only time we was running routes was the second half of the 4th quarter pretty much

B-Red22
10-01-2012, 01:17 PM

so u wanna be like the eagles??

Toadofsteel
10-01-2012, 01:18 PM
Our starters from the beginning of the season have been Nicks, Cruz, and Hixon. In week 3 we basically subbed Barden into the Nicks position and ran only the 2 WR sets (hence using Bennett more as a receiver than a blocker). Against the Eagles, Barden was trying to do his best Nicks impersonation while Cruz and Hixon played their normal roles, but since he's not Nicks, it didn't work.

G-MENBK
10-01-2012, 01:22 PM
Our starters from the beginning of the season have been Nicks, Cruz, and Hixon. In week 3 we basically subbed Barden into the Nicks position and ran only the 2 WR sets (hence using Bennett more as a receiver than a blocker). Against the Eagles, Barden was trying to do his best Nicks impersonation while Cruz and Hixon played their normal roles, but since he's not Nicks, it didn't work.

Collinsworth brought up a valid point last night: of all the receivers the Giants have, only one truly excels with the bump and run, and that's Nicks.

GIANTSED101
10-01-2012, 01:25 PM
so u wanna be like the eagles??

Oh yea of course I do because all I'm doing is giving an observation.

thomsoad
10-01-2012, 01:26 PM
[QUOTE=GIANTSED101;512977] I'm sorry but there pass defense really isn't that impresive, QUOTE]

Your insane.

GIANTSED101
10-01-2012, 01:27 PM
Oh yea of course I do because all I'm doing is giving an observation.

There tight ends and backs were chipping our DE's all game long, I was just wondering why we hadn't done something simillar.

Diamondring
10-01-2012, 01:27 PM
Too many people overrate Bennet.

GIANTSED101
10-01-2012, 01:34 PM
[QUOTE=GIANTSED101;512977] I'm sorry but there pass defense really isn't that impresive, QUOTE]

Your insane.

Really how? Nhamdi was getting worked, DRC was getting worked, and there rookie was getting worked but Hixon. Can you imagine what a healthy Nicks would do. Like I said they're good but not all that impressive.

thomsoad
10-01-2012, 01:43 PM
[QUOTE=thomsoad;513012]

Like I said they're good but not all that impressive.

Where exactly did you even acknowledge them as being good before just now?

CruzSoldier
10-01-2012, 01:59 PM
I think Asomugha's eye "injury" was more Cruz and Hixon abusing him......so he can use the excuse what had happened was my eye......lol
If you saw the game there wasn't a corner on there team who could cover Cruz 1 one 1 I think if next plays the next game we will go 3 wide with Nicks, cruz and hixon and we will get 300+ passing yards again.

RoanokeFan
10-01-2012, 02:01 PM
I think Asomugha's eye "injury" was more Cruz and Hixon abusing him......so he can use the excuse what had happened was my eye......lol
If you saw the game there wasn't a corner on there team who could cover Cruz 1 one 1 I think if next plays the next game we will go 3 wide with Nicks, cruz and hixon and we will get 300+ passing yards again.

Could be