PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think of Linval Joseph?

rtr1105
10-01-2012, 04:52 PM
I think he's alright, but at times it seems like he gets overpowered. Which is strange, because he looks like and is often touted as one of the strongest guys on the team.

Buddy333
10-01-2012, 04:53 PM
He is a beast and very under rated.

Sanntee31
10-01-2012, 04:54 PM
Naww, just once or twice a game. Other than that I feel he been beyond solid, he been a monster down there. But hey, I dont evaluate tape, just from a fans view.

TheEnigma
10-01-2012, 04:55 PM
If we ever lose him to injury or FA in the future, we're going to miss this guy a ton. He generates a nice amount of pressure considering his size.

WinterIsComing
10-01-2012, 04:59 PM
He is a beast and very under rated.

Agreed. Total Beast! The Eagles made it a point to double team him the entire game. If you watch the tape, you'll notice they made sure they always had 2 people blocking him.

rtr1105
10-01-2012, 05:04 PM
I like him a lot in the pass rush. He's not the best run defender but he's not awful. After reading my original post it seems like I'm hating on him. I'm not, I just wanted another opinion on him lol

slipknottin
10-01-2012, 05:04 PM
2nd best DL on the team

moosedrool
10-01-2012, 05:13 PM
He's pretty damn good. Rocky Bernard is playing well too. But we need Canty back because Austin and Kuhn don't look ready yet.

joemorrisforprez
10-01-2012, 05:20 PM
Marvin Austin is the guy that concerns me.....haven't heard his name all year.

moosedrool
10-01-2012, 05:21 PM
Marvin Austin is the guy that concerns me.....haven't heard his name all year.

Austin played 6 snaps last night and got pushed around like a rag doll.

nycisgreat
10-01-2012, 05:23 PM
If we ever lose him to injury or FA in the future, we're going to miss this guy a ton. He generates a nice amount of pressure considering his size.

The pass rush hasn't been the same since Barry Cofield left. He was a solid DT. I think he is serviceable, but he is nothing to run home about.

slipknottin
10-01-2012, 05:24 PM
Austin played 6 snaps last night and got pushed around like a rag doll.

On one play....

slipknottin
10-01-2012, 05:25 PM
The pass rush hasn't been the same since Barry Cofield left. He was a solid DT. I think he is serviceable, but he is nothing to run home about.

Linval is just servicable? He gets doubled constantly, and still manages to get pressure. I believe he led the DL in pressures in the playoffs last season...

GIANTSED101
10-01-2012, 05:27 PM
I love Linval, he's been playing hardnosed ball. Austin's been struggling a bit. Once we get Canty Back I think the middle will be a lot stronger.

Evo'Ed
10-01-2012, 05:31 PM
As stated above Linval is currently playjng like our 2nd best d-lineman.

Most of the effective running last night was due to poor contain on the opposite side by our DE's.

TheEnigma
10-01-2012, 05:32 PM
Linval is just servicable? He gets doubled constantly, and still manages to get pressure. I believe he led the DL in pressures in the playoffs last season...

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/06/07/secret-superstar-linval-joseph-dt-new-york-giants/

That then is where the Secret Superstar comes to the rescue and Joseph fits the bill perfectly. When it counted most, like that nationally broadcasted game against Green Bay and particularly in the Giants’ surprising Super Bowl run, he delivered in bunches. With an overall grade of +7.0 he was our highest-graded defensive tackle for the playoffs. In spite of recording zero sacks, he managed more total pressures than any other defensive tackle and his four stops were the most at his position in the playoffs.

I think this is what you were talking about Slip?

slipknottin
10-01-2012, 05:34 PM
I think this is what you were talking about Slip?

Yea. Linval gets much more pressure than people think. He is a capable pass rusher as a DT.

qndarius3
10-01-2012, 05:53 PM
I think he's alright, but at times it seems like he gets overpowered. Which is strange, because he looks like and is often touted as one of the strongest guys on the team.

Dude is a straight up monster. Everyone gets pushed around on a play or two from time to time. People forget this is really only his second year playing (didnt play much first year).
He constantly draws 2 lineman, and is a big time asset on running downs. Huge fan of his, and think he is an absolute key to our defense. What a great find from a small school.

Go Big Blue.

DownWitJPP
10-01-2012, 06:12 PM
Linval is gonna be one of the best DT's in the league, u can quote me on that...and for u guys saying Austin sucks, he's played in 1 1/2 games in 2 years..let the kid get his legs up under him. Last night he got pancaked 1 time and it was a double team

moosedrool
10-01-2012, 08:06 PM
From PFF today

"Evan Mathis has long been someone PFF has championed, and he is without question one of the league’s best guards, but I have never seen a player give him as many issues upon first contact as Joseph did in this game. The Giants defensive tackle was regularly able to generate instant movement before Mathis could readjust and regain control of the block, but there aren’t many players in the NFL that can move Mathis upon contact."

GFiP
10-01-2012, 09:43 PM
Not nearly as good as Cofield, wish we kept him.

dave56dj
10-01-2012, 09:56 PM
ha - every analyst has Linval as our superior DT and lauded his efforts and yet you keep talking about cofield. He is every bit as good as cofield. if we have any issue up the middle its simply snap count. We need to be able to rotate bernard and thats where canty coming back will help. Linval is a very good dt who is stout against the run and gets a nice push up the middle verse the pass. He has been a very good 2nd round pick another nice find by reese.