PDA

View Full Version : Giants' Tom Coughlin unsure of status of Hakeem Nicks, expresses concern

Eliscruzzz
10-01-2012, 05:37 PM
Adam Shefter just reported on NFL live that Nicks' knee has become problem matic and does not look good. I have no idea what this guy did but we need him desperately hopefully he is ready for San Fran but the way Shefter put it doesn't look like he will be....

Moke
10-01-2012, 05:39 PM
Jesus christ... keep him out for one more weekend against the Browns. We could survive without Nicks against the browns, especially with Haden out.

JB456
10-01-2012, 05:40 PM
Adam Shefter just reported on NFL live that Nicks' knee has become problem matic and does not look good. I have no idea what this guy did but we need him desperately hopefully he is ready for San Fran but the way Shefter put it doesn't look like he will be....

Problematic. Besides the loss, this is really turing out to be a crappy day.

Eliscruzzz
10-01-2012, 05:41 PM
Jesus christ... keep him out for one more weekend against the Browns. We could survive without Nicks against the browns, especially with Haden out.I'm starting to think the Giants know that he is hurt really bad and I do not expect him back anytime soon maybe after the San Fran game that is what it is looking like to me.....

Buddy333
10-01-2012, 05:41 PM
He is a great WR but he is hurt all the time.

Eliscruzzz
10-01-2012, 05:42 PM
Problematic. Besides the loss, this is really turing out to be a crappy day.Yeah I was expecting him to say oh he looks better but he said the Giants are really worried about his injury with that setback ....not good.

TheEnigma
10-01-2012, 05:44 PM
Rest the dude for as long as he needs to. Rather have him not play now then start him for a game and have him get reinjured before possibly entering the playoffs.

TheAnalyst
10-01-2012, 05:46 PM
Well, Barden stepped in and had 9 catches for 139 yards vs the Pathers, Hixon stepped in and had 6 catches for 114 yards vs the Eagles.

Unfortunately, It will probably leak at some point he tore his ACL.

CDN_G-FAN
10-01-2012, 05:47 PM
I'm starting to think the Giants know that he is hurt really bad and I do not expect him back anytime soon maybe after the San Fran game that is what it is looking like to me.....

same.

Schefter is like a freakin' prophet.

At this point in Schefter's career, if he says it, it's true.

Eliscruzzz
10-01-2012, 05:49 PM
Well, Barden stepped in and had 9 catches for 139 yards vs the Pathers, Hixon stepped in and had 6 catches for 114 yards vs the Eagles.

Unfortunately, It will probably leak at some point he tore his ACL.I just don't get why the Giants just come out and say what is wrong I know they don't like to spill the beans about injuries but what the hell happened to him... if he tore his acl we are in trouble even though the other wrs step up they are no Hakeem Nicks.

Moke
10-01-2012, 05:50 PM
I'm starting to think the Giants know that he is hurt really bad and I do not expect him back anytime soon maybe after the San Fran game that is what it is looking like to me.....

Who knows? We'll see how it works out. For now, he doesn't have to play the Cleveland game. That's not important.

JB456
10-01-2012, 05:58 PM
Rest the dude for as long as he needs to. Rather have him not play now then start him for a game and have him get reinjured before possibly entering the playoffs.

I don't want to be a downer but if we don't have Nicks for the next few games we might not even make the playoffs. Of course you have to think of long term health but now we are at a point where we have to ask how much can the Giants pay this dude when he comes off his Rookie Contract? I love Nicks and he is the best receiver on the team but this is a difficult question to answer.

BlueJayC
10-01-2012, 06:01 PM
I will put it very simply.......a knee doesn't swell after practice simply because it's been overworked......only way it swells is if you take a direct shot to it or something is wrong internally.......I fear the latter......this is extremely no bueno......

GameTime
10-01-2012, 06:34 PM
I know his knee is hurt. But when and how did he do it? Also what is the issue???

RoanokeFan
10-01-2012, 06:42 PM
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/10/giants_tom_coughlin_unsure_of.html

Excerpt: "For months, Hakeem Nicks' main health concern was his surgically repaired right foot, which he broke at organized team activities in May. But last week, an injured knee was added to the mix when he ran for the first time in over a week and the knee swelled up.

It forced him out of Sunday's game against the Eagles, the second straight game he's missed, and Tom Coughlin is uncertain of his star wide receiver's status for Sunday against the Browns.

"I won't know until I see what happens, where he's at as we go forward here and analyze him and the doctors get their hands on him again and he communicates with them," Coughlin said.

When asked if Nicks' knee has improved, Coughlin said, "Not that I know of." Read more...

SuperNYGiants
10-01-2012, 06:51 PM
Oh no, 4th and short deep ball pass-happy Gilbride + chuck it and pray Eli show again vs. Cleveland.

Buddy333
10-01-2012, 06:52 PM
Oh just sit him for a few weeks. If he isn't doing well now why out him in Sunday? So he can play half a game and then find out he can't play the next game?

egyptian420
10-01-2012, 06:54 PM
This is not cool...if he doesn't play, Barden will need to quickly forget about last night's game and play like he did vs Carolina.

Eliscruzzz
10-01-2012, 06:57 PM
I know his knee is hurt. But when and how did he do it? Also what is the issue???exactly this is something we all want to know really wtf happened all of a sudden he is danger of missing serious time..... I don't know if you have ESPN 2 but NFL32 we should find out more..

RoanokeFan
10-01-2012, 06:59 PM
Oh just sit him for a few weeks. If he isn't doing well now why out him in Sunday? So he can play half a game and then find out he can't play the next game?

I'm thinking this is going to be serious time, just a feeling

TheBookOfEli
10-01-2012, 07:08 PM
I have a feeling he's going to be out for the year. I hate injuries. If it wasn't for injuries he'd be up there with Megatron.

Eliscruzzz
10-01-2012, 07:09 PM
I'm thinking this is going to be serious time, just a feelingIt is definitely serious Adam Shefter said the same thing I'm thinking he won't be back until after the bye.........

RoanokeFan
10-01-2012, 07:14 PM
It is definitely serious Adam Shefter said the same thing I'm thinking he won't be back until after the bye.........

Hixon and Barden will get a lot of snaps

GFiP
10-01-2012, 07:17 PM
This is not cool...if he doesn't play, Barden will need to quickly forget about last night's game and play like he did vs Carolina. Barden thrived in soft coverage against a 5th round rookie corner. Don't expect anything from Barden against a decent defense.

Eliscruzzz
10-01-2012, 07:22 PM
Hixon and Barden will get a lot of snapsWell thank God Hixon stepped up, at first I was getting upset with him but he made huge catches hopefully Randle starts to take this game serious I heard Chris Collinsworth say(take it for what it's worth) that the Giants have been upset with his progress.

Eliscruzzz
10-01-2012, 07:25 PM
Barden thrived in soft coverage against a 5th round rookie corner. Don't expect anything from Barden against a decent defense. Seriously I don't want to sound like a Barden hater but he straight up can't beat press-man he did a couple of times but it was obvious last night he still has problems with press coverage...which is weird cause he is so big,it makes me angry seeing him not being physical of the line your 6'6 dude beat the press.

DaKraken
10-01-2012, 07:50 PM
Concealing a serious ACL injury doesn't sound right. My guess is some sort of meniscal damage and they're trying to see if it'll get better without arthroscopy... worst case gets scoped out 6-8 weeks

FlyingTruck
10-01-2012, 07:58 PM
Anyone else have a bad feeling about this season?

Toadofsteel
10-01-2012, 08:13 PM
I'm hoping Randle can step it up. Hixon, thankfully, seems to have shaken off his 2 ACL injuries and is playing like a baller. Barden, not so much.

sharick88
10-01-2012, 08:15 PM
Let's face it. Nicks is injury prone. It's not really his fault that he is. He just is and it will cost him millions of dollars when it comes to him getting a new contract, wherever that will be at.

Diamondring
10-01-2012, 08:15 PM
Oh no, 4th and short deep ball pass-happy Gilbride + chuck it and pray Eli show again vs. Cleveland.Our offense is made to pass the ball and we almost won the game.

Eliscruzzz
10-01-2012, 08:19 PM
Our offense is made to pass the ball and we almost won the game.Yeah Chris Carter was just saying if we had Nicks that game that PI wouldn't have happened and we probably win that game going away he said the Eagles were not impressive at all......lol

r1000
10-01-2012, 08:25 PM
Anyone else have a bad feeling about this season?

Kind of... I have this delusional Giants fan at work. The kind that feels they should win every game simply because they are fan of he team. Doesn't see their flaws etc... But I just don't have a great feeling. Being 0-2 in the div already is crap... We would HAVE to split with the cowboys and eagles now and hope we don't get swept by the redskins to have a contending div record.

Overdrive92
10-01-2012, 08:49 PM
I know his knee is hurt. But when and how did he do it? Also what is the issue???

They think he injured it on the play when he bumped his knee on the ground in the Bucs game.

His knee swelled up towards the end of last week which is why Nicks was suddenly ruled out of the Eagles game. The swelling has not gotten any better over the weekend, which is why Coughlin is concerned.

egyptian420
10-01-2012, 08:57 PM
Barden thrived in soft coverage against a 5th round rookie corner. Don't expect anything from Barden against a decent defense.Well their top CB Haden will be out, and their 2nd and 3rd CB I will assume will be covering Cruz and Hixon, so he's going to get a 4th CB on him most of the day at least. He better be able to haul in some catches or else he shouldn't even be out there the week after.

Buddy333
10-01-2012, 09:08 PM
I'm thinking this is going to be serious time, just a feelingVery serious. What I mean is that if its something that is 4-6 week njury he probably won't be the same for the rst of the season.

BParcells777
10-01-2012, 09:12 PM
if he tore his ACL he would be on injured reserve.........more likely its an MCL strain, which does bleed and cause swelling but heals pretty quickly

if its cartlidge they can scrape it.........60 days to recover from that one.....they would have scrapped it already

CruzSoldier
10-01-2012, 09:13 PM
There will be no playoffs if he doesn't come back for the San Fran game.......He would have had a whole month off if he misses the Brown's game if he can't go by then just IR him until the game after the bye week and try with what we have at least we will have consistancy.

Buddy333
10-01-2012, 09:15 PM
To bad it seems that Randle is not ready. He was being pumped up as the next Nicks. In his rookie year Nicks was a very good WR. Randle seems behind right now.

Cool Papa B.
10-01-2012, 09:54 PM

He hurt it on the same play where the Tampa Safety stepped on his ankle. He landed hard on his knee.

nycsportzfan
10-01-2012, 10:06 PM
Jesus christ... keep him out for one more weekend against the Browns. We could survive without Nicks against the browns, especially with Haden out. ya, the browns are cupcakes(sarcasm).. They were one play inside the redzone away from tying the ravens in baltimore and lost to philly by less then we did.. Trust me, we could use Nicks(mr.glass) . Is it me or does Nicks look out of shape alot? He had problems with staying in shape at UNC, and i wonder if thats carried over? In his uniform, he dosen't look solid , kinda flabby(best word i could think of?)

Buddy333
10-01-2012, 10:14 PM
I don't think he looks out of shape but he is absolutely injury prone.

Rudyy
10-01-2012, 10:22 PM
ya, the browns are cupcakes(sarcasm).. They were one play inside the redzone away from tying the ravens in baltimore and lost to philly by less then we did.. Trust me, we could use Nicks(mr.glass) . Is it me or does Nicks look out of shape alot? He had problems with staying in shape at UNC, and i wonder if thats carried over? In his uniform, he dosen't look solid , kinda flabby(best word i could think of?) I wouldn't say he's flabby, not everybody has the same body type and chizzled physique. He might be somewhat out of shape since he didn't practice all off season, and is limited in practice.

Gmen2005
10-01-2012, 10:32 PM
I'm so god damn sick of injuries. seems like every single player we've drafted in the past 5 years has had a season ending injury at one point already.

chizz
10-01-2012, 11:47 PM
if only we still had rio

Buddy333
10-01-2012, 11:51 PM
Not because anyone cold have known this would happen, but I knew people where underestimating the loss of Manningham.

CowboysSuck
10-02-2012, 12:05 AM
This is awful news, but there is nothing that can be done other than some witchcraft medicine.

We will have to ride out the season with Hixon and Barden.

Man, it really would be nice if Jernigan or Randle could step up and realize this is the big leagues now.

CowboysSuck
10-02-2012, 12:06 AM
Not because anyone cold have known this would happen, but I knew people where underestimating the loss of Manningham.

Believe me, I was not happy too see him walk. If it werent for that one catch in the SB his contract would be a couple million less. guaranteed. kind of a catch 22. Get it? a "catch" 22. aaahaha

Rich4114
10-02-2012, 12:22 AM
lol, it's amazing watching people talk so much trash on Nicks. He did just come off a 199yd 1TD game in which he completely dominated the TB CB's. How about we cut him some slack and wait for him to get healthy? He's still the best WR on this team.

shotcalla39
10-02-2012, 12:36 AM
Might as well trade him on my fantasy team... We've seen this too many times with players on this teM sitting out 3 weeks and then put on ir

Buddy333
10-02-2012, 12:38 AM
Who is trashing Nicks?

Captain Chaos
10-02-2012, 06:07 AM
What we need desperately is an O line that can block!

nycsportzfan
10-02-2012, 09:13 AM
I wouldn't say he's flabby, not everybody has the same body type and chizzled physique. He might be somewhat out of shape since he didn't practice all off season, and is limited in practice. Ya, i coulden't think of a better word.. And i'm not just talking about from this yr either.. Look at em in his uni when hes just standing around and he looks like hes got love handles almost.. I've noticed it in the past, but because of his insane production, never said anything.. Hes always hurt is the only thing i know, and its becoming a joke.. I definetly remember hering about him being overweight and outta shape at UNC..

RoanokeFan
10-02-2012, 09:15 AM
This is awful news, but there is nothing that can be done other than some witchcraft medicine.

We will have to ride out the season with Hixon and Barden.

Man, it really would be nice if Jernigan or Randle could step up and realize this is the big leagues now.

Who said Nicks is out for the season?

Kruunch
10-02-2012, 09:20 AM
Nicks wrenched his knee in the Bucs game. Simple mild sprain and swelling. He'll be back soon.

Giantterp
10-02-2012, 09:30 AM
Any body else worried that we're going to get a twitter report "Nicks heading down to visit Dr. Andrews" next? Just seems that that's life in the NFL. Swelling in the knee for more than a few days is never good.

TroyArcher
10-02-2012, 09:31 AM
Great talent but fragile.

BlueJayC
10-02-2012, 11:37 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but there's no official word yet right? I just hate not knowing......I'd rather know even if it's bad news......when did TC start taking the Belichek approach? In any event......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBknAcTaMiI

Sidenote - There is a reason the term "any given Sunday" is used extremely often......doesn't matter who the Giants have next they need all hands on deck.

Redeyejedi
10-02-2012, 11:48 AM
Rest the dude for as long as he needs to. Rather have him not play now then start him for a game and have him get reinjured before possibly entering the playoffs.This team doesnt win 11 games they probably arent making the playoffs. That SF game they have to win now that they dropped both division games.The way the NFC is shaking out I think there will be a few teams at 10-6.

Redeyejedi
10-02-2012, 11:50 AM
He is injury prone because how hard he plays. He gives twice the effort of whoever is in front of him. He is so damn physical he is bound to get hurt

Buddy333
10-02-2012, 11:51 AM
Anything on twitter? Anything from anyone?

GiantRoc
10-02-2012, 02:07 PM
I just don't get why the Giants just come out and say what is wrong I know they don't like to spill the beans about injuries but what the hell happened to him... if he tore his acl we are in trouble even though the other wrs step up they are no Hakeem Nicks.
Nicks' talent calls for defensive gameplanning against him. The more time other teams need to scheme for him, the less time they have to plan for other things. As frustrating it is for us, the fewer cards the Giants show, the better it is for our team winning.

Eliscruzzz
10-02-2012, 02:12 PM
Nicks' talent calls for defensive gameplanning against him. The more time other teams need to scheme for him, the less time they have to plan for other things. As frustrating it is for us, the fewer cards the Giants show, the better it is for our team winning.yeah but teams already know he is not playing against the Browns it sounds like he's going to be out for a while and us as fans want to know for how long.....

OX1
10-02-2012, 02:44 PM
Nicks' talent calls for defensive gameplanning against him. The more time other teams need to scheme for him, the less time they have to plan for other things. As frustrating it is for us, the fewer cards the Giants show, the better it is for our team winning.

Yes, I have no problem with misdirection. Even better, when he comes back, I hope they wait until game day to announce.