PDA

View Full Version : What Tom Coughlin left unsaid: Manning made a costly blunder

RoanokeFan
10-01-2012, 08:05 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/02/sports/football/tom-coughlin-goes-easy-on-giants-quarterback-eli-manning.html?ref=football&_r=0

Excerpt: "Here was Tom Coughlin (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/c/tom_coughlin/index.html?inline=nyt-per) as the dedicated father figure to the quarterback who doubles as his football son, covering for Eli Manning (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/m/eli_manning/index.html?inline=nyt-per), who has taken him to the peak of twoSuper Bowl (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/subjects/s/super_bowl/index.html?inline=nyt-classifier) mountains and provided him with legitimate Hall of Fame coaching credentials.

Coughlin is not an easy man to be around, much less live with, after any loss and especially after one as exasperating as the 19-17 defeat by the Eagles (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/01/sports/football/on-final-play-giants-fall-short-to-eagles.html?_r=1&ref=sports) on Sunday night at Lincoln Financial Field. His son-in-law, Chris Snee, may anchor his offensive line, but Manning is the Giant whom Coughlin will forever be tethered to and the one he eternally trusts.

Manning has been there for him since the beginning in 2004, and for the last 134 games as the starter, and more recently as perhaps the N.F.L.ís premier closer." Read more...

BParcells777
10-01-2012, 08:09 PM
Coughlin made a bigger one by not running Brown and spiking the ball in the middle of the field around the 25. That was a blunder of epic proportion.

As a matter of fact not running Brown all night.......someone sited Browns low per carry average for his 5 appearances but failed to point out the opponents knew eveytime he came in he was getting the ball

WE DID NOT NEED A TD TO WIN...........what was he thinking?

RoanokeFan
10-01-2012, 08:27 PM
Coughlin made a bigger one by not running Brown and spiking the ball in the middle of the field around the 25. That was a blunder of epic proportion.

As a matter of fact not running Brown all night.......someone sited Browns low per carry average for his 5 appearances but failed to point out the opponents knew eveytime he came in he was getting the ball

They could only spike the b all of they made a first down. Given how poorly we were running ,would you really have called a run there? Seriously? The pass to Barden was not the only option. That was the option Eli felt more comfortable and it didn't work out. We move on.

Toadofsteel
10-01-2012, 08:31 PM
I think he was talking about the 2nd down throw, not the 3rd down one... you can run on 2nd down and spike on 3rd...

RoanokeFan
10-01-2012, 08:34 PM
I think he was talking about the 2nd down throw, not the 3rd down one... you can run on 2nd down and spike on 3rd...

Thanks, I get confused a lot. Still, Barden's penalty took us out of realistic range. I'm not faulting him because it would have likely been an interception. We played hard but came up short. The team lost the game. It's done, we move on to the Browns.

BParcells777
10-01-2012, 08:41 PM
They could only spike the b all of they made a first down. Given how poorly we were running ,would you really have called a run there? Seriously? The pass to Barden was not the only option. That was the option Eli felt more comfortable and it didn't work out. We move on.

I agree with that
We will likely be tied again atop the NFC East week..........we never do anything easy
We always have to do it the hard way............how about that kid Wilson?.......big time bright spot

GFiP
10-01-2012, 08:47 PM
Or maybe the offense shouldn't have wasted a timeout earlier in the half.

RoanokeFan
10-01-2012, 08:51 PM
I agree with that
We will likely be tied again atop the NFC East week..........we never do anything easy
We always have to do it the hard way............how about that kid Wilson?.......big time bright spot

Wilson's returns could very well be the reason we win games. We haven't had a kick returner like him in forever

BigBlueAllDay
10-01-2012, 08:55 PM
Thanks, I get confused a lot. Still, Barden's penalty took us out of realistic range. I'm not faulting him because it would have likely been an interception. We played hard but came up short. The team lost the game. It's done, we move on to the Browns.

That was a good game (not perfect) from both teams. Yes. Barden did prevent an INT so it's not really his fault. The running play was a waste and the RB didn't even center the ball for the kicker. Giants are lucky to be even be in a spot to win that game. The INT in the endzone was a killer. Hixon broke up another likely INT in the endzone earlier as well. David Wilson muffed a shovel pass and that was it for his RB role for the rest of the game. He did great on kick-offs, but that usually means the Eagles scored right before. Gotta take it out on the Browns, but that should be a game where the team should try to get a big lead and put in the backups. Of course, it'll be more likely that game maybe close.

And come on now, who that were watching on TV prematurely celebrated that Tynes FG before it went short cause that looked good just didn't have the distance.

Ruttiger711
10-01-2012, 08:58 PM

What are you basing this on - that the D knew Brown was getting the ball? That he was stopped?

Its already starting... if Brown doesnt do what he did against Carolina... the excuses start.... if he doesnt do it again, they will feed on him and ask to start Wilson.

CAROLINA HAS AN AWFUL RUN D LETTING UP 135 YDS A GAME!

ELI_Iz_God
10-01-2012, 09:00 PM
I'm pretty sure it was Barden that manhandled the DB drawing a OPI and bumping what would of been an easy FG back 10 yards

brad
10-01-2012, 09:01 PM
I'm pretty sure it was Barden that manhandled the DB drawing a OPI and bumping what would of been an easy FG back 10 yards

True... however had he not done that, it was very likely an int, game over

RoanokeFan
10-01-2012, 09:01 PM
That was a good game (not perfect) from both teams. Yes. Barden did prevent an INT so it's not really his fault. The running play was a waste and the RB didn't even center the ball for the kicker. Giants are lucky to be even be in a spot to win that game. The INT in the endzone was a killer. Hixon broke up another likely INT in the endzone earlier as well. David Wilson muffed a shovel pass and that was it for his RB role for the rest of the game. He did great on kick-offs, but that usually means the Eagles scored right before. Gotta take it out on the Browns, but that should be a game where the team should try to get a big lead and put in the backups. Of course, it'll be more likely that game maybe close.

I think we played well enough to win even with all of the mistakes. I'm still confused about the DE production falling off but hopefully we get that on track soon.

If we learn from games we lose we can adapt and play better next game.

G-MENBK
10-01-2012, 09:02 PM
If Coughlin was so worried about an interception, then why did Eli still throw another one to Hixon? That's what made it 3rd down.

RoanokeFan
10-01-2012, 09:02 PM

Yes, but the only likely option was an interception. He did what he ad to do.

BigBlueAllDay
10-01-2012, 09:07 PM
I think we played well enough to win even with all of the mistakes. I'm still confused about the DE production falling off but hopefully we get that on track soon.

If we learn from games we lose we can adapt and play better next game.

They did get some decent pressure in terms of hurries and hits with Blackburn finally getting a sack, but Vick played Osi like a guitar string last night in addition to the Eagles having an effective running game.

bleeding blue
10-01-2012, 09:07 PM
I thought Eli made a pretty large mistake throwing that deep route on 2nd. Nnamdi was all over Ramses and made a great play, and to Ramses credit he did everything he could to prevent Nnamdi from having a chance at the interception there.

Whether it was Gilbride who made the call to throw deep or Eli who decided to throw it doesn't really matter. That throw cost us 10 yards and likely the game. Not Ramses who might have saved the game at that point.

ELI_Iz_God
10-01-2012, 09:09 PM
Yes, but the only likely option was an interception. He did what he ad to do.

your kidding right? he's 6'6....He couldn't stick an arm out as the ball came in and disrupt the play?

BigBlueAllDay
10-01-2012, 09:18 PM
your kidding right? he's 6'6....He couldn't stick an arm out as the ball came in and disrupt the play?

That would have been hard. Nnamdi had him boxed out to the sidelines and was in position for the INT. Barden had 0 chance of even touching that ball. Nothing productive would have came out from that.

We're just experiencing the VERY fine line between winning and losing since we're the fans. If Tynes hits that FG, most of us would be happier than the people making the Geico "Happier Than" commercials and all would be forgiven, while Reid would on the hot seat.

Of course, that didn't happen with the misery and criticism that follows. I could say they could have gone for a fake FG pass for a TD, but hey it's only Week 4. Giants tried to win that game and put in the effort unlike the hapless Jets.

syrup
10-01-2012, 09:21 PM
We lost and the Eagle running game killed us in the 2nd half. Time to move on now.

EliDaMANning
10-01-2012, 09:40 PM
Yes, but the only likely option was an interception. He did what he ad to do. I saw the replay several times, nnamdi had no shot at the ball. Barden didn't have to mug him and should have played the ball not the defender.

NYG 5
10-01-2012, 11:26 PM
I saw the replay several times, nnamdi had no shot at the ball. Barden didn't have to mug him and should have played the ball not the defender.

Barden is playing in his first real season, he was obviously scared ****less that play.

And I liked that they tried taking a shot against that overly aggressive eagles D. How many times have we *****ed that they play too conservative and let their d tee off on them? I just think they should have run a screen to get that extra couple yards, then spike it.

giantsfan420
10-01-2012, 11:43 PM
the running game did kills us on both teams. i saw on espn that mccoy had like 108 yds BEFORE contact...thats ridiculous and osi sickened me last night

ImElectric2
10-02-2012, 01:23 AM
Wilson's returns could very well be the reason we win games. We haven't had a kick returner like him in forever

Perhaps even Sehorn? I'd say Ron Dixon, but I feel like the 2000 playoffs was his only real claim to fame. Don't remember him being much of a threat aside from that.

Harooni
10-02-2012, 04:16 AM
http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/5238/seinfeld2020kramer20scrsu0.gif#seinfeld%20kramer%2 0oh%20yeah%20gif
The Cat is, RIGHT OUTTA THE BAG!!!!!!

Captain Chaos
10-02-2012, 04:30 AM

Exactly!!!!!!

chasjay
10-02-2012, 06:49 AM
My favorite quote from several in this thread...."We move on."

[IFS and BUTS DEPARTMENT] Without the unforced pick, the last drive could have been a 'run out the clock' drive instead of a need to score. It is likely that a more experienced Barden would have turned that pass into an incompletion instead of interference. An off-tackle run would have preserved the field goal distance. A third down stop by the D could have preserved the lead.

We lost a game that was ours for the taking, but.......we move on!...unbagged cat or not.

shocknaweny
10-02-2012, 01:34 PM

And come on now, who that were watching on TV prematurely celebrated that Tynes FG before it went short cause that looked good just didn't have the distance.

I could tell it was short right away ....and when I saw that distance I knew Tynes doesn't have the leg for that anyway.....not his fault but maybe it's time to find a kicker that can hit a 50 yarder....most teams in the league got kickers that are hitting 70 yarders in practice....Tynes is clutch but anything over 40 is like beyond his distance.

TheShouldersOf
10-02-2012, 02:05 PM
Coughlin made a bigger one by not running Brown

Not really, Brown wasn't doing much of anything