PDA

View Full Version : Tom Coughlin admits he was wrong...

TheAnalyst
10-02-2012, 11:01 AM
"If I were to do it over myself, would I be as conservative with the 15 seconds? Not this morning," Coughlin said. "This morning, I throw it to the sideline or something of that nature and take a chance on that. What happens if you get a sack there or you try to fit one in tight, whether you catch it or not, you get tackled in bounds, game over."

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/8450252/new-york-giants-tom-coughlin-accepts-blame-late-play-calling-loss-philadelphia-eagles

I got killed by a bunch of you for saying the coach was 100% completely wrong for thatb decision. A bunch of things cost us the game, but that final few plays cost us a chance to really win it and it all lays with TC.

With that said, time to move on.

We get knocked down like this a few times every year. Remember Seattle last year? San Fran? Tough loses. They happen.

I respect TC for coming out and admitting he was wrong.

CDN_G-FAN
10-02-2012, 11:06 AM
the point is, when you lose people question your decision no matter what.

if we took the shot with 15 seconds left on the clock and something went wrong, most of us would be talking about what a stupid idea it was.

i certainly don't think he was 100% wrong for his decision, it was a judgement call, and what judgement call don't we question when we lose?

egyptian420
10-02-2012, 11:09 AM
He's sort of admitting he was wrong in a "if I could go back in time" sense...it was just a gut decision he had and it didn't work out. I didn't agree with him either but that's ofcourse after the disaster Barden penalty.

If Barden doesn't get that penalty, Coughlin is a genious. If Barden catches that ball, Coughlin is a HOF hero HC.

It's easy to look back when something is done and say what could've been done differently (just ask Matt Dodge). Who on earth would've seen this coming? How often does one get an offensive pass interference call?

egyptian420
10-02-2012, 11:10 AM

if we took the shot with 15 seconds left on the clock and something went wrong, most of us would be talking about what a stupid idea it was.

i certainly don't think he was 100% wrong for his decision, it was a judgement call, and what judgement call don't we question when we lose?this

GameTime
10-02-2012, 11:14 AM
on the 27 yard line with 25 seconds to go why try a big pass unless the WR is waving his arms and all alone. Whats wrong with a nice 10 yard out route and leave Tynes with a 34 yarder.....Barden shouldn't have even been an option IMO. But it is what it is.
BTW...if they made that play I would have been very happy but still would have said it was a way to risky call.
So they blow that play on being aggressive and then he goes totally conservative with 15 seconds where he could have done a quick sideline pass for a few yards.....TC/KG/Eli made two bigtime mistakes.

poppa smurph
10-02-2012, 11:15 AM

i certainly don't think he was 100% wrong for his decision, it was a judgement call, and what judgement call don't we question when we lose?my sentiments exactly.
and for what it's worth, TC is trying to take all the blame, deflecting from any on the players, onto himself.

SuperNYGiants
10-02-2012, 11:18 AM
I want to hear it from Gilbride, the real culprit behind the mess.

Moke
10-02-2012, 11:25 AM
Yeah Exactly. People actually harped on me for saying it was the wrong decision.

joemorrisforprez
10-02-2012, 11:32 AM
The play to Barden was initially a run-first option. Eli checked out of it and threw the ill-advised pass to Barden.

“We had some runs called that we checked out of, based on the looks that they were running, and didn’t feel like we had an opportunity to get very many yards,” Manning said.

“I think as an offensive mindset, even when a field goal wins, if you can score a touchdown, we like to score a touchdown. If we can get the ball as close as possible, or you have a shot to win the game scoring a touchdown and not have to rely on a field goal, that’s the way we feel as an offense.”

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/deja_blue_yWwZg8ZIO7oKRn8etqMzEO

Coughlin is taking the blame for the loss, which is a stand-up thing for a coach to do.

However, if I blame Coughlin for anything, it's only that he should have told Eli that it HAD to be a run, regardless of the defensive front.

As far as Eli is concerned, it's tough to get on a 2-Time Super Bowl MVP.....the only constructive criticism I would level at him is that sometimes, he needs to let his teammates win the game.

That INT in the endzone hurt bad....it totally changed the game.....they had 3 guaranteed points taken off the board, plus they killed momentum.

That pass play at the end of the game was totally unnecessary....call the run play, spike the ball, and let your kicker do his job.

I love Coughlin and Eli...... but if that were Parcells, Simms, and Joe Morris....the Giants would be 3-1 right now.

Rudyy
10-02-2012, 11:41 AM
I feel better knowing he knows he was wrong.

SuperNYGiants
10-02-2012, 11:44 AM
I thought Eli was smarter than that, his logic is not very logical. You can't risk LOSING the game by going for style points, it's very simple.

Rudyy
10-02-2012, 11:46 AM
I thought Eli was smarter than that, his logic is not very logical. You can't risk LOSING the game by going for style points, it's very simple.Since when does Eli go for style points? Wtf.

Moke
10-02-2012, 11:52 AM
Since when does Eli go for style points? Wtf.Yeah for real. What an awesome response.

GMENAGAIN
10-02-2012, 12:00 PM
The play to Barden was initially a run-first option. Eli checked out of it and threw the ill-advised pass to Barden.

Coughlin is taking the blame for the loss, which is a stand-up thing for a coach to do.

However, if I blame Coughlin for anything, it's only that he should have told Eli that it HAD to be a run, regardless of the defensive front.

As far as Eli is concerned, it's tough to get on a 2-Time Super Bowl MVP.....the only constructive criticism I would level at him is that sometimes, he needs to let his teammates win the game.

That INT in the endzone hurt bad....it totally changed the game.....they had 3 guaranteed points taken off the board, plus they killed momentum.

That pass play at the end of the game was totally unnecessary....call the run play, spike the ball, and let your kicker do his job.

I love Coughlin and Eli...... but if that were Parcells, Simms, and Joe Morris....the Giants would be 3-1 right now.

Do you think that Parcells would have thrown the ball on the two 4th down plays? Nope. We would have got stuffed at the line on both.

giantsfan420
10-02-2012, 12:05 PM
yeah he's had a couple questionable statements imo

TheEnigma
10-02-2012, 12:07 PM
I'd say Eli outsmarted himself rather than going for style points. To be quite honest, I can see why he decided to give Barden a shot on the outside against Nnamdi but all of us simpletons at home on the couch were screaming for a conservative run, spike, and FG. Since Tynes was only a yard or two short of hitting the 54 yarder on the 2nd attempt, I'm confident he would of hit a 35-40 yarder in that situation with no problem. Oh well...it is what it is.

CDN_G-FAN
10-02-2012, 12:12 PM
He's sort of admitting he was wrong in a "if I could go back in time" sense...it was just a gut decision he had and it didn't work out. I didn't agree with him either but that's ofcourse after the disaster Barden penalty.

If Barden doesn't get that penalty, Coughlin is a genious. If Barden catches that ball, Coughlin is a HOF hero HC.

It's easy to look back when something is done and say what could've been done differently (just ask Matt Dodge). Who on earth would've seen this coming? How often does one get an offensive pass interference call?

+1

as fans, if some offensive lineman got a holding call on another play with 15 seconds to go, we'd freak out on the offensive lineman.

if Bradshaw caught a pass near the sidelines but didn't get out, we'd probably rip Bradshaw for not getting out and scream for Brown to start from now on.

the coaches would look at that as why did we call another play there and put penalties/tackles in bounds at risk.

giantsforce
10-02-2012, 12:13 PM
I'd say Eli outsmarted himself rather than going for style points. To be quite honest, I can see why he decided to give Barden a shot on the outside against Nnamdi but all of us simpletons at home on the couch were screaming for a conservative run, spike, and FG. Since Tynes was only a yard or two short of hitting the 54 yarder on the 2nd attempt, I'm confident he would of hit a 35-40 yarder in that situation with no problem. Oh well...it is what it is.How true! Very well said.

RoanokeFan
10-02-2012, 12:14 PM

+1

giantsfam04
10-02-2012, 12:29 PM
He also said a couple of times that it is easier to make those calls the next day, so what he made a mistake not the first and wont be the last.

Drez
10-02-2012, 12:29 PM
He also said, knowing what he knows now.

It's easy to second guess after you know the outcome.

Also, he seemed more to regret not running a play on 3-19 than the 2-9 pass play.

RoanokeFan
10-02-2012, 12:56 PM
I want to hear it from Gilbride, the real culprit behind the mess.

Just give him a call, I'm sure he'll find time for you.

yoeddy
10-02-2012, 12:59 PM
"If I were to do it over myself, would I be as conservative with the 15 seconds? Not this morning," Coughlin said. "This morning, I throw it to the sideline or something of that nature and take a chance on that. What happens if you get a sack there or you try to fit one in tight, whether you catch it or not, you get tackled in bounds, game over."

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/8450252/new-york-giants-tom-coughlin-accepts-blame-late-play-calling-loss-philadelphia-eagles

I got killed by a bunch of you for saying the coach was 100% completely wrong for thatb decision. A bunch of things cost us the game, but that final few plays cost us a chance to really win it and it all lays with TC.

With that said, time to move on.

We get knocked down like this a few times every year. Remember Seattle last year? San Fran? Tough loses. They happen.

I respect TC for coming out and admitting he was wrong.

I read this as "Hindsight is 20/20"...

gumby74
10-02-2012, 01:02 PM
Another stupid decision that cost us at least one posession was the final drive of the 2nd quarter. Instead of spiking it we ran a play - a short pass play right in the middle of the field. I was like ..wtf?

shocknaweny
10-02-2012, 01:22 PM
terrible call .....could not believe what I was watching....I like aggressive coaching and glad they believe in Eli but u tell him to throw it ONLY if Barden has his man beat for 6 .....otherwise u throw it away and kick the FG from 44....

burier
10-02-2012, 01:28 PM
terrible call .....could not believe what I was watching....I like aggressive coaching and glad they believe in Eli but u tell him to throw it ONLY if Barden has his man beat for 6 .....otherwise u throw it away and kick the FG from 44....

Wait but what about Barden? Was it necessary for him to take a penalty in that situation? I think not.

Also the refs were getting flag happy for PI which I what I think Eli was trying to exploit.

TextureDj
10-02-2012, 01:32 PM
Do you think that Parcells would have thrown the ball on the two 4th down plays? Nope. We would have got stuffed at the line on both.
I'll go a step farther. Parcells Giants dont make either of those two superbowl runs. maybe '07, this last team from '11 not a chance.

He would however have ridden that '08 team right to a Lombardi regardless of Plax.

idiotekniQues
10-02-2012, 02:15 PM
these things always evolve into pointless debates, not relevant. who cares what parcells would have done. i love coughlin. the guy has been golden. it's really not crazy to deduce that the playcalling at the end was more wrong than right. we are 2-2, so is dallas, so are the redskins, we have 4 more division games and 12 more total games. so the sky is falling is bs, but it has no relevance in judging the playcalling. coaches mess up sometimes. this was a bad call.

SweetZombieJesus
10-02-2012, 03:21 PM
They had the ball in field goal range with a fresh set of downs. Kill some time and kick the FG.

TheAnalyst
10-02-2012, 03:36 PM

No, because thowing the ball already in FG range is dumb no matter how it plays out. The result would of been a lot better sure, and no one would complain, but that doesnt mean its the right call.

TheAnalyst
10-02-2012, 03:38 PM
We played it like we were down 4 on 2nd down, not down 2.

CowboysSuck
10-02-2012, 03:41 PM
He didnt admit he was wrong, technically. He said today he would have done it differently (knowing that it didnt work last night, he would have nothing to lose seeing as what he did didnt win the game). Its just a play on words...or rather, a play on time.

nycisgreat
10-02-2012, 03:54 PM

i certainly don't think he was 100% wrong for his decision, it was a judgement call, and what judgement call don't we question when we lose?

I agree, but he could've ran another play. If no one was open, Eli could throw the ball away. Coughlin did man up, and I respect that a whole lot. Hind sight is always 20/20.

bearbryant
10-02-2012, 05:24 PM
Man o man, way to much about nuttin'. Look, he screwed up. If the purpose is to win the game then you center the ball and kick the FG thats the hi- percentage play to win! However, who didn't make blunders during that game? Plenty of it to go around. Gilbride should never have called that play either. Eli should never have thrown it. Osi played ping-pong not football and on and on and on. Get over this and onto Cleveland Go Giants!

brad
10-02-2012, 05:31 PM
It's easy to say he was wrong in hind sight, however had the kick been good, he would have been right.... or had he tried another throw and it was intercepted or the clock ran down, he would have been wrong.

Imgrate
10-02-2012, 05:37 PM
I don't know why noone has mentioned the fact that coughlin didn't call timeout when the eagles got the first down at the 7 yd line, he instead waited till after the 2 minute warning. It would have given us about 8 more seconds at the very least. there have been many many times where coughlin hasnt made the calls at the end of games that slightly increase our chances of winning and it finally lost us a game. This is why I always preach that you always have to play the percentages.

sc_markt
10-02-2012, 07:43 PM

That's what I was yelling at the TV. I think they should have run the ball a few times in order to get a few yards closer and then kick the field goal.

shockeyisjesus
10-03-2012, 04:56 AM
And if he would have used both timeouts on the OTHER SIDE of the 2 minute warning there would have been at least, at the VERY LEAST, 23 seconds left instead of 15 and then I think he makes the decision to run a play.

So yeah, it is his fault.....but even the best coaches make mistakes. At least he manned up and admitted it......time to move on.

shockeyisjesus
10-03-2012, 04:58 AM
I don't know why noone has mentioned the fact that coughlin didn't call timeout when the eagles got the first down at the 7 yd line, he instead waited till after the 2 minute warning. It would have given us about 8 more seconds at the very least. there have been many many times where coughlin hasnt made the calls at the end of games that slightly increase our chances of winning and it finally lost us a game. This is why I always preach that you always have to play the percentages.

I actually started a thread about this and quite a few of our more, how shall I put this, posters of the mouthbreating persuasion, said I had no clue what I was talking about.

Of course when idiots tell you that you have no clue what you are talking about, it just further convinces you that what you are saying is correct.

Glad someone else sees what a bad decision that was as well.

Captain Chaos
10-03-2012, 05:02 AM
Takes a big man to admit his mistakes, a better man learns from them! Lets go get em TC!!!!!

Drez
10-03-2012, 06:31 AM
And if he would have used both timeouts on the OTHER SIDE of the 2 minute warning there would have been at least, at the VERY LEAST, 23 seconds left instead of 15 and then I think he makes the decision to run a play.

So yeah, it is his fault.....but even the best coaches make mistakes. At least he manned up and admitted it......time to move on.
Or it'd mean we'd waste that time on the other side of the warning when we didn't have that timeout to call...

TheAnalyst
10-03-2012, 08:36 AM
It's easy to say he was wrong in hind sight, however had the kick been good, he would have been right.... or had he tried another throw and it was intercepted or the clock ran down, he would have been wrong.

No, no he wouldnt of. I dont get why people keep saying that. That playcall of throwing it downfield was wrong whether it works or not, although that may of been KGs call, but TC should of said run it up the gut and lets kick a 40 yard FG to win. I could of swore to god we would of just ran the ball up the gut on that play. Thats what 99% of teams do in a situation like that. Ive seen it hundreds of times. I hav ealso seen hundreds of times a team get closer on 3rd down instead of kicking a 54 yard FG to win, which would of been Tynes CAREER LONG.

Bad decision, and he admits it.

Imgrate
10-03-2012, 12:59 PM
I actually started a thread about this and quite a few of our more, how shall I put this, posters of the mouthbreating persuasion, said I had no clue what I was talking about.Of course when idiots tell you that you have no clue what you are talking about, it just further convinces you that what you are saying is correct.Glad someone else sees what a bad decision that was as well. ah, sorry I must have missed that thread

Harooni
10-03-2012, 01:00 PM
Why do they keep talking about the last 15 seconds???? who made the mistakes before that??? when all we had to do was get tynes 4 more yards or so.

GameTime
10-03-2012, 01:12 PM
Why do they keep talking about the last 15 seconds???? who made the mistakes before that??? when all we had to do was get tynes 4 more yards or so.
true...
that was a group effort. Allowing that option at all in that circumstance, choosing that option, and then getting the OPI.......perfect storm of a disaster. no one broke the chain.....

TheAnalyst
10-03-2012, 01:38 PM

I agree. But the chance was there in those last 15 secords.

TrueBlue@NYC
10-03-2012, 01:44 PM
Honestly, TC made the right decision to kick the FG when he did. 15 seconds left if you go for a sideline pass (the only things they could go for) and you don't get outta bounds. Game Over. Pass is picked. Game Over. False Start/Holding penalty. Game Over. Risks outweighed the benefit there.

The only questionable decision there was Eli throwing to Barden when he wasn't at all open. That's it. He made up his mind way too soon to throw it to the WR in single coverage. You COULD say that KG should have called a quick run play on second down as well, but we had just done that and it netted pretty much nothing.