PDA

View Full Version : Is missing Canty a big part of the problem?

GiantRoc
10-02-2012, 01:28 PM
Chris Canty has been a top DT in this league most of his career. Is he the missing piece to this struggling D-line puzzle? As a Giant he has commanded a double team on many plays. Can we be missing his push up the middle? Is that lack of push hurting what our DEs can accomplish? Kuhn is good to give Joseph a blow now and then, but the talent level drops fast when he comes in. Its not a slam on him. He is still trying to learn the game. I know we won't find out what happens until week 7, but I am curious as to what anyone else may think on this.

burier
10-02-2012, 01:29 PM
Dont think Chris Canty's gonna keep Tuck and Osi from getting whooped all over the field.

giantsfan420
10-02-2012, 01:29 PM
yes

dezzzR
10-02-2012, 01:30 PM
I think a healthy Canty will help, but Tuck and Osi need to get there **** together either way

Eliscruzzz
10-02-2012, 01:33 PM
plan and simple yes our d-line has not been the same with out him and he is a great run stopper I guarantee you that if he was playing Sunday night Mccoy wouldn't have all those rushing yards and there would have been way more sacks and pressure on Vick...he would've gotten extreme pressure coming up the middle leaving the edges wide open.

RoanokeFan
Dont think Chris Canty's gonna keep Tuck and Osi from getting whooped all over the field.

I would agree with this. The DTs aren't the problem. Having said that, Canty is the best DT we have so I'd like to see him back.

NYG4lifeNYK
Absolutely 100%, yes.

Canty is a beast and a leader. I said we would miss him greatly in the pre season.

burier
10-02-2012, 01:41 PM
Absolutely 100%, yes.

Canty is a beast and a leader. I said we would miss him greatly in the pre season.

well right now we miss any production from the DEs on the team. I don't hate Canty but I think because we havent seen him in a while and othe guys are playing so poorly there's a tendency to romanticize his play.

I'll jog everyone's memory.

Usually bursts through once per game and makes a play in the backfield and this is usually due to blown asignment upfront. Takes playes offs and runs around blockers in pursuit.

I'm not saying he wouldn't be a welcome help but right now we need Osi and Tuck to either play better or be replaced.

Diamondring
10-02-2012, 01:42 PM
Giants hardly blitz so the blockers don't have to worry at all so they can concentrate on double blocking holding etc. Come on DC.

GiantRoc
10-02-2012, 02:15 PM
I don't hate Canty but I think because we havent seen him in a while and othe guys are playing so poorly there's a tendency to romanticize his play.

Don't get me wrong. I am not romaticizing Canty. But he does take double teams often. Even without big numbers or flashy plays, he usually takes up mutiple blockers and cloggs running lanes. Yes he takes plays off now and then. Few guys on the team are able to say they don't. I'm sure that is another reason why we are struggling. I also completely agree that Tuck and Osi absolutely have to step it up.

drewz
10-02-2012, 02:19 PM
As far as depth goes, I'd say yeah.. but Bernard and Linval have been beasting for us, they've been the only two consistent people on defense

GMan-67
10-02-2012, 04:03 PM
we only gave up 19, we would have all signed up for that going in ... the D has been solid now for 10 quarters straight ... unfortunately, Philly's D did a nice job vs. us in the 1st half and then when they got a bit tired and we got some better protection we got it going, but we left 10 pts. on the field with a 1st and goal INT and the Barden penalty leading to a 1 yard short FG ... that's the NFL for you ... you will never win doing that on the road

burier
10-02-2012, 04:10 PM
Don't get me wrong. I am not romaticizing Canty. But he does take double teams often. Even without big numbers or flashy plays, he usually takes up mutiple blockers and cloggs running lanes. Yes he takes plays off now and then. Few guys on the team are able to say they don't. I'm sure that is another reason why we are struggling. I also completely agree that Tuck and Osi absolutely have to step it up.

Yeah I don't really know what's going on. Everyone know how I feel about Tuck but I thought he'd atleast be servicable. And I thought Osi would have made some kind of impact by now.

I think we are missing Canty, no question would love to have him back right considering the issues we're having but what Osi and Tuck are doing out there right now makes me sick to my stomach.

Buddy333
10-02-2012, 04:12 PM
Well of he and Joseph where such a distraction to teams then he could be the answer. Unfortunately I have a feeling he won't be much of a factor his year. Kind of like Nicks, the are being very quiet. Doesn't look good.

Eliscruzzz
10-02-2012, 04:13 PM
Well of he and Joseph where such a distraction to teams then he could be the answer. Unfortunately I have a feeling he won't be much of a factor his year. Kind of like Nicks, the are being very quiet. Doesn't look good.he will be back week 7 so...........

Drez
10-02-2012, 04:13 PM
By and large the defensive tackles have played excellent this season. Missing Canty, while it hurts our overall depth, isn't the issue/

Buddy333
10-02-2012, 04:16 PM
he will be back week 7 so...........Maybe. Maybe not. Wasn't Nicks supposed to play in the Panthers game?

Drez
10-02-2012, 04:20 PM
Maybe. Maybe not. Wasn't Nicks supposed to play in the Panthers game?Nicks said he was going to play, but that isn't saying a lot. The doctors/training staff never said that. But, considering he usually doesn't practice except for Thursdays, I would have been exceptionally surprised if Nicks played against Carolina.

Buddy333
10-02-2012, 04:22 PM
Right, and then he missed the next game as well.

Eliscruzzz
10-02-2012, 04:23 PM
Maybe. Maybe not. Wasn't Nicks supposed to play in the Panthers game? That is Nicks way different injury Canty dasid it himself he might even play the San Fran game.....

Drez
10-02-2012, 04:28 PM
Right, and then he missed the next game as well.He missed the next game because of a completely separate issue than his foot.

Drez
10-02-2012, 04:29 PM
That is Nicks way different injury Canty dasid it himself he might even play the San Fran game.....
You can't take what a player says that seriously. TT thought he was going to play this year, but ended up needing another ACL surgery.

Eliscruzzz
10-02-2012, 04:33 PM
You can't take what a player says that seriously. TT thought he was going to play this year, but ended up needing another ACL surgery. True but Canty is being smart with his injury I think he will definitely play week 7 he knows how much money he is making and he sees that the team absolutely needs him

Drez
10-02-2012, 04:57 PM
I just posted this in another thread, but is germane to this discussion as well.

New York – Three Performances of Note
Stout Inside
It is the defensive ends for the Giants that usually get all of the ink when their defense is looked at, but in this game it was the big bodies inside that were exceptional. DTs Rocky Bernard (+4.6) and Linval Joseph (+2.3) were a force, especially against the run, all game long. Bernard was far too much for the Eagles’ replacement center to handle, and Joseph was a handful for anybody he went up against.
Evan Mathis has long been someone PFF has championed, and he is without question one of the league’s best guards, but I have never seen a player give him as many issues upon first contact as Joseph did in this game. The Giants defensive tackle was regularly able to generate instant movement before Mathis could readjust and regain control of the block, and there aren’t many players in the NFL that can move Mathis upon contact.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/10/01/refo-giants-eagles-week-4/

JesseJames
10-02-2012, 05:01 PM
it seems to me that Tuck is playing completely without any enthusiasm, he just walks around out there as if he's bored and not anything like he used to be, come to think of it this whole defense needs an infusion of enthusiasm and a lot more fire....