PDA

View Full Version : Tynes is a good kicker but please don't say clutch

EliDaMANning
10-02-2012, 02:57 PM
A lot of people here are calling this guy clutch. I don't know when this started but he's clearly not a clutch kicker. He is a useful reliable kicker under 40 yards sure, but has he hit a GW FG while we were losing? Ever? Most of his big FG have come during tie games.

Rudyy
10-02-2012, 02:58 PM
He kicked us to the Super Bowl twice. Just because he can't kick a certain range doesn't mean he isn't clutch.

EliDaMANning
10-02-2012, 02:59 PM
He was 1/3 in his first attempt. Last year he kicked an extra point. That isn't clutch.

RoanokeFan
10-02-2012, 02:59 PM
A lot of people here are calling this guy clutch. I don't know when this started but he's clearly not a clutch kicker. He is a useful reliable kicker under 40 yards sure, but has he hit a GW FG while we were losing? Ever? Most of his big FG have come during tie games.

Because he missed one field goal?

joemorrisforprez
10-02-2012, 03:00 PM
He's been accurate....that's the most I'll say about him.

Inside 50 yards, he's okay. Outside 50 yards, you might as well go for the first down or punt.

EliDaMANning
10-02-2012, 03:00 PM
Because he missed one field goal?hes missed quite a few in his career.

EliDaMANning
10-02-2012, 03:01 PM
He's been accurate....that's the most I'll say about him.Inside 50 yards, he's okay. Outside 50 yards, you might as well go for the first down or punt.i agree completely. He had 2 tries on Sunday night. Inexcusable.

GameTime
10-02-2012, 03:01 PM
a game winning field goal is a game winning field goal. Why does have to be when the team is losing???

repeatchamps
10-02-2012, 03:02 PM

Tied or losing, you make two FG's to send your team to two Super Bowls on the road in some terrible field conditions and you must have some clutch ability. Some people need to do some research, Tynes was with the Chiefs before he came to the Giants and he made multiple last second winning FG's for KC which is what made his name in this league and probably the main reason the Giants brought him in originally.

YATittle1962
10-02-2012, 03:04 PM
he is 52.6% on FG 50+ for his career

is that so terrible ?

Kendo15
10-02-2012, 03:08 PM
Jeez.

An NFC Championship winning FG in Green Bay, an NFC Championship winning FG in San Francisco, a last second winner in Dallas at the opening of Jerry's Folly and that's without even thinking about it.

He came up short on a 54 yarder, sh!t happens. The guy's a good kicker, he's come on a ton since he started with us.

fansince69
10-02-2012, 03:10 PM
hes missed quite a few in his career.Most of those were in his first couple years with Giants
since 2009 under 30 yds...39/41
under 40....20/25
under 50....13/17
over 50.....4/8

looks to me like like hes damn good at the ones he should be and more than acceptable anything over 40...and let us remember he kicks at least 1/3 of his games in cold weather

YATittle1962
10-02-2012, 03:10 PM
Jeez.

An NFC Championship winning FG in Green Bay, an NFC Championship winning FG in San Francisco, a last second winner in Dallas at the opening of Jerry's Folly and that's without even thinking about it.

He came up short on a 54 yarder, sh!t happens. The guy's a good kicker, he's come on a ton since he started with us.

good points

but please let the filter do it's job

thank you

GIANTSED101
10-02-2012, 03:12 PM
Clutch:•helpful during a difficult situation or period of time. Something that "came through in the clutch", that is, came through in a difficult or trying time.

1. GB Game, during some of the worse conditions ever recorded.
2. SF Game, rainy, wet and slippery.

I will take those "clutch kicks" over any other filed goal Tynes has missed, those are the crucial ones.

If your leg isn't strong enough to make a kick then there's nothing you can really do about it. Go and ask a quarterback to make a deep pass when his arm isn't stron enough.

Ruttiger711
10-02-2012, 03:14 PM
Anything over 50 I HOPE for success but I can't realistically expect it.

Tynes worries me more in the "gimme" distance when the game is not on the line more than anything.

Two of his field goals in the SF game each made it by a foot, both make able distances. Yeah they were good, but he can make your *** pucker.

EliDaMANning
10-02-2012, 03:15 PM
Not sure if they were down in the cowboys game but I made it clear the 2 post season games were tied. SF was basically a PATI have also made it clear he is good for us and that he is a good kicker. Just wouldn't trust him in a losing situation. As a matter of fact I wouldn't trust over 90% of the kickers out there. So it's not a knock on tynes.

Kendo15
10-02-2012, 03:16 PM
good points

but please let the filter do it's job

thank you

Will do, apologies.

GIANTSED101
10-02-2012, 03:18 PM
Look at the brightside we could always be stuck with someone like Cundiff...Didn't he miss some more kicks this past weekend??

GameTime
10-02-2012, 03:18 PM
Not sure if they were down in the cowboys game but I made it clear the 2 post season games were tied. SF was basically a PATI have also made it clear he is good for us and that he is a good kicker. Just wouldn't trust him in a losing situation. As a matter of fact I wouldn't trust over 90% of the kickers out there. So it's not a knock on tynes.
titling thread that Tynes isnt clutch is not a knock on him???

ok

GIANTSED101
10-02-2012, 03:20 PM
Look at the brightside we could always be stuck with someone like Cundiff...Didn't he miss some more kicks this past weekend??

AKA..Billy "wiffed the kick" Cundiff

Giant stuck in Texas
10-02-2012, 03:21 PM
i agree completely. He had 2 tries on Sunday night. Inexcusable.
Coughlin in his presser said that the ball was missed handled on the second attempt which is why he had plenty of distance on the first attempt, but fell short on his second attempt.

Dumb thread.........

RoanokeFan
10-02-2012, 03:24 PM

is that so terrible ?

It would see so, YA :p

CDN_G-FAN
10-02-2012, 03:25 PM

troll

GiantRoc
10-02-2012, 03:30 PM
Since the miss in the NFC championship game vsGreen Bay, Tynes has hit all the "BIG" kicks. High pressure and bad weather not excluded. He just doesn't have a big foot. I'll trust him under 50 to make the "clutch" kicks. I remember the Giants winning a superbowl over a lights out kicker who wasn't clutch on a kick under 50 yrds.

burier
10-02-2012, 03:30 PM

is that so terrible ?

its not that good.

Redeyejedi
10-02-2012, 03:32 PM

is that so terrible ?Didnt he make every FG before that. I put it on Eli. Eli should not of forced that ball to Barden, If its 44 yards Tynes drills it and everyone praises him

Redeyejedi
10-02-2012, 03:33 PM
If a kicker made every clutch kick from 50+ he would go in the first round

burier
10-02-2012, 03:35 PM
Jeez.

I'm not mad at Tynes for missing the kick. We already knew that he was beyond his range. I was disapointed because I thought he had a shot since he got a second try.

That said. When he missed all this field goals in Lambeau field don't tell me you didn't want to find him and murder him. He eventually atoned for it but I think 1 for 3 or whatever it was isn't really all that clutch.

Kendo15
10-02-2012, 03:35 PM
Didnt he make every FG before that. I put it on Eli. Eli should not of forced that ball to Barden, If its 44 yards Tynes drills it and everyone praises him

Or if we don't burn a half assed time out on a 3rd and 1, the whole drive is different.

Tynes and Eli will win us more games than they lose us, it's a hard, hard loss to those but it's only one game.

Time to move on and take all the angst out on Cleveland.

repeatchamps
10-02-2012, 03:38 PM
I'm not mad at Tynes for missing the kick. We already knew that he was beyond his range. I was disapointed because I thought he had a shot since he got a second try.

That said. When he missed all this field goals in Lambeau field don't tell me you didn't want to find him and murder him. He eventually atoned for it but I think 1 for 3 or whatever it was isn't really all that clutch.

That was 5 seasons ago. Can we review how he is kicking now or maybe the last two years or so. Wow give the guy a break he has improved since then.

GameTime
10-02-2012, 03:39 PM

you can say its not clutch but missing two previous kicks ( in ****ty weather BTW) put only more pressure on him for the game winner.
He has had his lumps but I sweat every kick out in every game I have ever watched. Whether its the Giants or whatever team. There is hardly ever a feeling of "no problem"....

Kendo15
10-02-2012, 03:40 PM

Oh I was calling him names that could not be repeated when he missed the first two, but I reckon he came of age that night in Lambeau. Some stones stepping up to make the third one.

Since then, I'd say he's come on a ton and is a top ten kicker IMHO.

Even with 2 goes at it, a 54 yarder in Philli in the last seconds is a helluva tough kick for any kicker. Even Jankowski wobbles a bit there, I'd say.

He'll be fine and so will we.

burier
10-02-2012, 03:41 PM
That was 5 seasons ago. Can we review how he is kicking now or maybe the last two years or so. Wow give the guy a break he has improved since then.

dude which part of my post did you read? Which ever one it was go back and read the rest.

And I only mention the NFC Championship because people are trying to point to that game as evidence of Tyne's clutchness.

burier
10-02-2012, 03:44 PM
Oh I was calling him names that could not be repeated when he missed the first two, but I reckon he came of age that night in Lambeau. Some stones stepping up to make the third one.

Since then, I'd say he's come on a ton and is a top ten kicker IMHO.

Even with 2 goes at it, a 54 yarder in Philli in the last seconds is a helluva tough kick for any kicker. Even Jankowski wobbles a bit there, I'd say.

He'll be fine and so will we.

I agree. He's a good kicker. I wasn't planning on sweeping Philly anyway. We'll get them week 17

As a side: I'm pretty sure Brad Daluiso drills that thing sunday night if he was in his prime.

GameTime
10-02-2012, 03:44 PM
dude which part of my post did you read? Which ever one it was go back and read the rest.

And I only mention the NFC Championship because people are trying to point to that game as evidence of Tyne's clutchness.

i think the correct term may be clutchability or clutchishnious or clutchilicity....:confused:

Sundown
10-02-2012, 03:46 PM
And the school system wants to get rid of critical thinking, wow!!!! This thread should be used fora case study on the future ramifications on our youth not having these skills

GIANTSED101
10-02-2012, 03:48 PM
Why is this even a discussion? Before Tynes missed this FG I believe he had made 15 or more straight w/o a miss. He never should've been put in that situation in the first place, once they got into FG rage they should've had better clock management so they could've kicked the easy FG.

GameTime
10-02-2012, 03:49 PM
I agree. He's a good kicker. I wasn't planning on sweeping Philly anyway. We'll get them week 17

As a side: I'm pretty sure Brad Daluiso drills that thing sunday night if he was in his prime.
Not for nuthin' but Daluiso career is 76.2 % and 6/12 fron 50+
Tynes career so far is 81.6% and 9/18 50+

repeatchamps
10-02-2012, 03:50 PM

The post just touched on the NFC Title game and that you were not mad at him for Sunday night. I thought mentioning that game was all you were judging his clutchness on my bad.

Drez
10-02-2012, 03:50 PM
This is why we should have an elementary Giants history quiz before accepting new memebers.

YATittle1962
10-02-2012, 03:55 PM
its not that good.

how so?

Akers is 53.5%
Janikowski is 55.2%
Vinatieri is 50.0%

just to name a few

Drez
10-02-2012, 03:56 PM
I do believe they showed a stat during the game that Tynes was 8/9 in game winning FG situations.

BlueJayC
10-02-2012, 03:57 PM

gmenfan0488
10-02-2012, 04:04 PM
Tynes is usuallu really good, probably i'd say top 10 in the league, he missed one kick and you knock him

Giants5699
10-02-2012, 04:12 PM
2 NFCCG winning kicks? Name 10 other kickers who have done what he has.

repeatchamps
10-02-2012, 04:19 PM

Nevermind 10, there aren't even 3 and Tynes is one of them. In fact Tynes may be the only one active. Vinatieri may be the only other one who did similar.

fansince69
10-02-2012, 04:20 PM

Matt Bahr had one that went from losing to winning

vinercheri or what ever his name was for the Pats...had a few big kicks.......

FUUFNF
10-02-2012, 04:29 PM
Not for nuthin' but Daluiso career is 76.2 % and 6/12 fron 50+
Tynes career so far is 81.6% and 9/18 50+

I believe Tynes is 10 for 19 from 50+

ElIteManning10
10-02-2012, 04:31 PM
He kicked us into the SB twice. Once against Green Bay IN green bay. The other against San Francisco IN San francisco...

FUUFNF
10-02-2012, 04:31 PM
Tynes is a clutch kicker under 50... He doesn't have the leg to consistently hit from 50+ though.

FUUFNF
10-02-2012, 04:32 PM
He kicked us into the SB twice. Once against Green Bay IN green bay. The other against San Francisco IN San francisco...

Well, in all fairness, he did need 3 tries in GB (granted, the weather wasn't ideal).

burier
10-02-2012, 04:32 PM
how so?

Akers is 53.5%
Janikowski is 55.2%
Vinatieri is 50.0%

just to name a few

Are those career numbers?

ElIteManning10
10-02-2012, 04:35 PM
Tynes is a clutch kicker under 50... He doesn't have the leg to consistently hit from 50+ though.

not having the leg for a 54 yard FG is much different than not being "clutch". We wouldn't even be discussing this without the STUPID playcalling that led to the OPI call on Ramses

YATittle1962
10-02-2012, 05:40 PM

yes

joemorrisforprez
10-02-2012, 05:51 PM
Nobody will ever rival The Sheikh

http://www.beckett.com/images/pgitems/294300201.jpg

Drez
10-02-2012, 05:55 PM
A 60% success rate over 50 yards is considered fantastic.

EliDaMANning
10-02-2012, 09:53 PM
Wow some people really need to brush up on their reading comprehension. I know he hit 2FG to get us to the SBs. But as burier stated earlier, everyone was ripping him for missing 2 straight and then finally for one to go. The one in SF was a chip shot. If that is clutch then every kicker is clutch.And as far as the 50% rate for 50+ yard kicks. That's 1 for 2. He still went 0/2. But I'm not knocking him by sayin he's not clutch. I don't see why clowns cdn are getting worked up for.

Drez
10-02-2012, 09:57 PM
Wow some people really need to brush up on their reading comprehension. I know he hit 2FG to get us to the SBs. But as burier stated earlier, everyone was ripping him for missing 2 straight and then finally for one to go. The one in SF was a chip shot. If that is clutch then every kicker is clutch.And as far as the 50% rate for 50+ yard kicks. That's 1 for 2. He still went 0/2. But I'm not knocking him by sayin he's not clutch. I don't see why clowns cdn are getting worked up for.
But, you are wrong in your saying he is not clutch. During the game last night they pulled up a stat saying he is 8/9 (prior to last night's miss) on game winning FGs.

G-Men Surg.
10-02-2012, 09:58 PM
You are kidding right ?

EliDaMANning
10-02-2012, 10:00 PM
But, you are wrong in your saying he is not clutch. During the game last night they pulled up a stat saying he is 8/9 (prior to last night's miss) on game winning FGs.Chip shots. I can understand why Eli went deep to Barden. He needs to get into the 20 for Tynes comfort zone.

Captain Chaos
10-03-2012, 06:30 AM
This was a joke right.....

giantsfam04
10-03-2012, 08:05 AM
Does it really matter if the game is tied or if we are loosing? is there anymore pressure on the kick? I don't think so not sure what the issue is here.

njg85m
10-03-2012, 10:24 AM
Yet another ridiculous thread after a loss.

Tynes was asked to kick a 54 yard field goal on a wet field in the wind, and missed.

That is an indication of us not putting ourselves in a position to easily win the game -- not Tynes "not being clutch".

a4gmen
10-03-2012, 12:33 PM
He kicked us to the Super Bowl twice. Just because he can't kick a certain range doesn't mean he isn't clutch.

The kick was close.If it wasn't raining it possibly would have made it.

Giants5699
10-03-2012, 12:41 PM
this loss is directly on the coaches. Terrible play calling and decisions all game cost us the game.

nhpgiantsfan
10-03-2012, 12:45 PM
Anyone that wants to pass any blame to Tynes for this weeks loss, is a total dope. He was put in a situation to fail. I am not in love with Tynes but he has done his job very effectively.

GameTime
10-03-2012, 01:19 PM
Chip shots. I can understand why Eli went deep to Barden. He needs to get into the 20 for Tynes comfort zone.
they were at the 26.
A simple 5 to 6 yard pass gets them to the 20. If you think Eli went deep to the 4 yard line because he was thinking of TYnes your nuts. He went deep because he didnt figure that Barden would tackle Namdi and the worst that would happen would have been an incomplete.

CowboysSuck
10-03-2012, 01:26 PM
Tomy Brady is a good quarterback but please dont say clutch...

Tiki Barber is an awful sports analyst but please dont say clutch...

My wife can't drive an automatic to save here life, but please don't say CLUTCH

LOL

CruzSoldier
10-03-2012, 07:07 PM
NO but that one in 2007 in Green Bay was a difficult kick because of the elements.......and I know it was a 36 yard kick but it was a tough kick.

CruzSoldier
10-03-2012, 07:10 PM
He's not a long range kicker Caleb Sturgis from Florida is the guy we need. Tynes is only good under 40 yards or so but 45 or longer and his accurracy goes way down.

Drez
10-03-2012, 07:14 PM
He's not a long range kicker Caleb Sturgis from Florida is the guy we need. Tynes is only good under 40 yards or so but 45 or longer and his accurracy goes way down.
Tynes is pretty good right until about 50.